Start by marking “The Crooked Street (Frost Easton #3)” as Want to Read:
The Crooked Street (Frost Easton #3)

The Crooked Street

(Frost Easton #3)

The hunt for a killer in San Francisco becomes a dizzying game of cat and mouse in a thrilling novel of psychological suspense.

“Lombard is your Moriarty, Frost. Taking him down will be the most dangerous thing you’ve ever done.”

San Francisco homicide detective Frost Easton hadn’t seen his estranged friend Denny in years. Not until he dies in Frost’s arms uttering a final i
Published January 29th 2019 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about The Crooked Street, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Paula Galvan
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Crooked Street (Frost Easton #3)
Kylie D
I was so excited when this book became available, I maybe even hyperventilated a little! I have loved Brian Freeman's Frost Easton series since The Night Bird, and this latest offering didn't let me down.

This book opens with Frost's estranged friend Denny arriving on his doorstep in the middle of the night, dying in Frost's arm, but not before getting out one word, "Lombard". Frost soon meets up with a PI named Coyle, who has a strange story, that a series of graffiti snakes have turned up near
Lou
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Crooked Street is the third novel in the Detective Frost Easton of San Francisco Police Department series; each instalment works perfectly as a standalone as the crime is self-contained to that particular book, but you will not be privy to information on the recurring characters full backgrounds. I loved the murder and mayhem, thrills and spills San Fran PD go through, and the complexity of the plot made this unputdownable for me.

The author challenges the reader to keep up with the developme
Linda Strong
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing

This is the third of this series, and although it reads well as a stand alone, I highly recommend that you start with the first book. Frost Easton is a terrific series character. Always thought of as a boy scout, it's meant that he is honest, and willing to go the extra mile to get at the truth.

THE CROOKED STREET starts with a death, a death that Frost hadn't see coming. But then again, nothing about this death rings true. Seems like everyone is shrugging it off .. maybe had something to do with
Brenda
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the third book in the Frost Easton series. Frost is up against a puzzling and inordinate number of murders in this book. The first is an old buddy of his named Denny Clark who he hasn’t seen or talked to in ten years. Denny shows up at Frost’s front door, whispers one word to Frost, and then collapses and dies. Frost investigates and finds ties to other cases, other cops, but he’s warned to trust no one.

The case was interesting, and there were so many deaths that it bordered on ridiculou
Sue
THE CROOKED STREET, a psychological thriller is the third book in the Frost Easton series, by bestselling author Brian Freeman. Having read and enjoyed the previous two books in the series, I was anxious to continue with the series. Even though this novel reads well as a stand alone, I highly recommend that you start with the first book, to fully appreciate the ongoing character development.

The books in the series include:
The Night Bird (Book 1)
The Voice Inside (Book 2)

Denny Clark was in San Fra
Jean
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing

There are those who are crooked, and then there are those who are just plain evil. Inspector Frost Easton crosses paths with both kinds in Crooked Street . I just finished Brian Freeman’s second Easton novel, The Voice Inside , and jumped right to the newest one. Like the previous thriller, this one was just as hard to put down. Wow!

Freeman, who is well known for his Duluth detective Jonathan Stride, has based this new series in San Francisco. He’s moved his thrills from one chilly, hilly
Naomi
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't know how in the hell he does it, but, as usual, Brian Freeman kicks ass and takes names in his newest upcoming release. Full blog review coming in January, 2019. In the meantime, catch up with books one and two in the Frost Easton series and pre-order this book on Amazon! Don't forget his stand alone books and (one of my fave series) Jonathan Stride for some good reading. There is a reason why this man is on my top 3 list of recommended authors and I am a snobbish reader.
Joyce
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

It has been a long time since I have picked up a Brian Freeman book and I had forgotten what a remarkable writer he is. I was blown away all over again.

Frost Easton is a detective with the San Francisco police department. His one-time friend Denny Clark dies in his arms late one night in Frost’s home. Before he dies he whispers the word “Lombard.” What could this mean? There is a Lombard street in San Francisco, but Frost doesn’t think Denny meant the road.

When a private eye named Dick
Elaine Tomasso
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Thomas & Mercer for an advance copy of The Crooked Street, the third novel to feature San Francisco detective Frost Easton.

When Frost’s old friend Danny Clarke dies on his doorstep saying the word Lombard he is put in charge of the investigation, an investigation which is gathering more interest from his bosses than it seems to warrant. Things get even more complicated when a PI points out a link through a spray painted snake to eleven previous murders.

I thoro
Jack
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another winner

Frost Easton once again is in hot pursuit of a mysterious killer. This time it involves the death of an old friends, multiple conspiracies and possible conspiracies. All the standard characters are involve and it’s a great chase with an ending that truly took me by surprise. Lots of fun
Elisa
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
If all the books I read this year are half as good as Crooked Street, it will be a good 2019. I am a big fan of the first two Frost Easton novels (how can you not love a cop whose partner is a cat?) and not that the previous baddies were lame but Lombard is the worst. He (or she?) has unlimited power and is pretty much indestructible. Frost, who is incapable of compromising his integrity, has to work really hard just to solve one measly string of murders that may only be the tip of the iceberg. ...more
ReaderMomCarissa
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG! I devoured the 3 books in this series so far and this last one was twisted af! It was SO FREAKING GOOD! Now all I’m thinking is when will the 4th one come out? I need more Frost and this story!
LJ
First Sentence: Denny Clark emerged through a cloud of steam into the cold darkness of Chinatown.

Detective Frost Easton hadn't expected that his estranged friend Denny would show up on his doorstep, mortally wounded, uttering the word "Lombard." What does San Francisco's famous street have to do with Denny's murder? PI Dick Coyle claims the City has a serial killer about whom only he knows, who has killed 11 times before, marking each murder site with the image of a windy, crawling snake. Now F
Maura
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Disclaimer, I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 stars rounded up because I fell for every trick Freeman played.

I've read the other two Frost Easton books and while I thoroughly enjoyed both of them, this one is by far the best! Freeman is an excellent mystery writer and I'm usually pretty good at figuring things out about halfway through the book, and maybe I was having an off week, but all the turns took me by surprise. It stands well on it's
Darcy
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Conspiracy theories are us seems to be a good way to describe this book without spoiling anything. There are layers upon layers, you get to the point where Frost is the only one you can really believe. But it was the last couple of pages that really shocked me. I feel for Frost because honestly at this point nothing will be the same for him again and at some point he's going to realize how badly he was played.
Heidi Potenza
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
The third installment in the Frost Easton series is phenomenal. Brian Freeman is such a gifted author - he pulls you in from the start and takes you on an intriguing ride. Very few books these days can really surprise me but some of the plot twists here got me! Frost has met a worthy opponent in the newest villain Lombard. The connections between all sorts of powerful people will be what keeps you turning the pages to figure out who is good and who is not. I hate that I have to wait for the 4th ...more
Darren
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I got this as a arc e book from Net Galley. I enjoyed reading it. It had a good story to it. I liked the variety of characters in it. It is my first book read by this author. I hope to read more books by this author.
Darlene
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It seems like I have been waiting a long time for the third in the Frost Easton series, but I guess it’s only been a year. Frost is one of my top favorites and it was so good to have him in my life again. Frost is a SFPD Detective, and since San Francisco is one of my favorite cities I fell in love with the series on page one of book one, The Night Bird.
In this book there is series of killings going back a few years. Frost gets involved when an old friend, Denny, dies at his front door. Denny’s
Wes Peters
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the first Frost Easton novel, the second was so good I actually took time to email the author -- something I've not done before. To my surprise, Brian wrote me back the same day; he had just finished the draft of Crooked Street, and promised the story would be in the same vein, along with some discussion of a favored character.

Wow, did he deliver. I'm a huge fan of well written mysteries that introduce characters I care about, and characters I can't really be sure of. Earl Emerson is a
Janice Lombardo
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I suppose that I was biased when I began reading this book. I have read all of Brian Freeman's works and have loved every one of them! And this is yet another winner.

Frost Easton (Book #3) DI Easton becomes entangled with a friend from 10 years ago. Except this friend literally dies on his doorstep. Denny (Frost's friend) was involved in something bigger than the Chief of Police wants to admit. Politically - it would have been much better to tie the case up and be done with it. However, Frost ca
Linda
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I started reading this book I thought I would only give it 4 stars, but that quickly changed the further I got into the story. Speak about who can you trust, that is the heart of this intriguing thriller.

When an old friend of Frost's dies right on his doorstep saying only the word Lombard the detective finds himself drawn into a case that literally runs him all over the place searching for answers while dealing with his feelings for his brother's fiance.

You have to add this one to your 201
Nicola Short
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free arc of this book from NetGallery in exchange for a true and honest review. Thank you to Brian Freeman and his publisher for the opportunity to read “A Crooked Street.”
Brian Freeman is a excellent mystery writer, he draws you into his books right from the beginning pages. I have not read the previous two books in the series and, though it may have been helpful to have read them, I think it stands well on its own. I will be reading the other books in this series.
I stayed up most
Sherri Lewis
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*** I received an advanced e-copy from Net Galley in exchange for my honest review

I am a huge fan of this author's books, and I think this may be my favorite one yet. It is so action-packed that I couldn't put it down. You know it is a good book when you reach the end of the book and go "no!!!!!!!!!!". Needless to say, I can't wait for the next book in the this series.
Judy
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Frost has a very dangerous enemy, Lombard, who some say is a myth. A friend he hasn’t seen for 10 years knocks on his door then dies but not before whispering the word Lombard. Frost investigates his friend’s death and finds lots of secrets. Very exciting book, can’t wait for the next Frost Easton book!
elizrdbthspeaks
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
this is book 3 ... i didn't realize that when i picked it up from KU? great cover ...totally what pulled me in?? newbie to this author. so well written ... will read more soon and very soon!! must read!!
Ray Palen
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read my review this Friday on Book Reporter!
Liz
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This a a great detective novel. I really wanted to give it 4.5 stars.
Ellie Midwood
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
“The Crooked Street” is the third installment in Frost Easton series but it can easily be read as a standalone. I’d say out of all three this one was the darkest and the most nail-biting one because this time Inspector Easton isn’t facing just one criminal but the entire net of assassins all working for one man, a mysterious Lombard, who is as dangerous an adversary as they come. What I appreciated the most about this particular installment was the sense of mistrust dominating almost every scene ...more
Donna
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Frost Easton opens his door late one night only to have a distant friend (they had parted on bad terms) collapse and die in his entry way. He whispers one word to Frost before he dies: Lombard. Frost begins investigating a stream of murders that are apparently all linked, and he gets another message: “Trust no one.”

This is the first book I have read by Brian Freeman, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. The action pulls you in right from the start. There are twists and turns to hold your attention, and
Ric Ulloa
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of Brian Freeman's best jobs ever!! This is an awesome read and a great set up for the next book. I love the story, I love the characters, and I love the way Brian Freeman takes the reader through the entire case, allowing us into the heads of each character and their importance. I cannot wait until the next book in this series, especially with the little dangle left at the end! Awesome job, Mr. Freeman!! Thank you.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• A Cold Trail (Tracy Crosswhite, #7)
  • A Killer's Wife (Desert Plains, #1)
  • Hide Away (Rachel Marin Thriller #1)
  • Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)
  • The Last Sister (Columbia River, #1)
  • The Girl Beneath the Sea (Underwater Investigation Unit #1)
  • Rain Will Come
  • The Weight of Silence (Nicole Foster Thriller #2)
  • A Place Called Fear (Maggie Novak, #2)
  • Wall of Silence
  • The Girl in the Manor (Emma Griffin FBI Mystery, #3)
  • Bad Memory (Jessica Shaw, #2)
  • Last Day
  • Don't Make a Sound (Sawyer Brooks #1)
  • Cold Hunt (Ellie Kline #2)
  • Cold Threat (Ellie Kline Series Book 3)
  • The Girl in Cabin 13 (Emma Griffin FBI Mystery, #1)
  • Bitter Falls (Stillhouse Lake #4)
Brian Freeman is a New York Times bestselling author of psychological thrillers, including the Jonathan Stride and Frost Easton series. His books have been sold in 46 countries and 22 languages. He is widely acclaimed for his "you are there" settings and his complex, engaging characters and twist-filled plots. Brian has also been selected as the official author to continue Robert Ludlum's Jason Bo ...more

Frost Easton (3 books)
  • The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
  • The Voice Inside (Frost Easton, #2)