Start by marking “Stand Up: A Memoir of Disease, Family, Faith & Hope” as Want to Read:
Stand Up: A Memoir of Disease, Family, Faith & Hope

Stand Up: A Memoir of Disease, Family, Faith & Hope

Friends and family expected Ken Cruickshank to continue playing sports, traveling, engaging in mischief, and raising an active brood after he married his soulmate, Karen. Indeed, all was proceeding to plan until an invisible enemy strengthened its grip on his body and mind. Goals, abilities, and many dreams grew forever affected by progressive disease. After an accident ...more
Published November 20th 2017 by Gatekeeper Press

To ask other readers questions about Stand Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stand Up

Start your review of Stand Up: A Memoir of Disease, Family, Faith & Hope
Teri Zayas
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so glad I won this book in a giveaway as I never would have read it otherwise. I was intrigued by how the author and his family dealt with the progression of MS. It was never sappy - a truly inspiring book!
Cherie
What a story about MS. This man is so positive even though he had and has so much heartbreak. I myself with MS, a lot of what he is going through with MS is scary to me and what I have yet to endure. I just hope I can be just as positive. Some parts are funny, some are really sad. You're so lucky to have all the support in your life.

Thank you for sharing your story.
I hope you write another one.

Cherie'
gj indieBRAG
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that STAND UP: A Memoir of Disease, Family, Faith & Hope by Ken Cruickshank is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells readers that this book is well worth their time and money!
Patricia Henry
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Living life to the fullest

The author tells of his personal struggles with MS, a very cruel disease. He describes the effect of this disease on his family and loved ones and also for himself. Thank you for your candid writing and the glimpse into how we can help others. I will look forward to your novel.
Tracey A. Stark
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway-wins
Great insight into the life of a chronically ill person. Gave me information on MS. I too have 2 rare chronic illnesses and found his words to be true. The differences I noticed was that income didn't seem to be an impedance for him. Many others have more issues with income or lack thereof. It is a great eye opener for those who don't realize life can change in big ways!
Sharon Marrs
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

I loved Ken's memoir. He is a wonderful and talented writer. But above that, he is a better human being.
Susan Wright
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
"...happiness is a state of mind, a conscious pursuit."

What an emotional depiction of living with MS. From the beginning and early (but undiagnosed) symptoms through the severe and devastating days, Ken allows the reader glimpses into his life. This is not a book seeking sympathy or support, rather an insight into the strength and resiliency of Ken and his family.

Thank you Ken for sharing your story and for writing this book that your family and friends will treasure. Keep on writing!
Steve Wyllie
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very touching memoir! Lots of things ring true with me. Very emotional read for me.
Ryan Petritsch
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laughed a lot. I cried more than I'd like to admit. Most of all, I was incredibly inspired. This is a book that makes you appreciate every single day, everything you have, and everyone in your life that loves you.

Thanks for sharing your story with us.
The Book Girl
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a heartbreaking story for me to read. As a person that has never suffered from the illness described in this book, I cannot imagine what the author has gone through. The book was so powerful and moving.

This story is both inspirational and completely powerful. The writing is raw and so gripping. I can’t imagine suffering such a loss to my body. Something I thought I could count on for so many years. The memoir made me cry and laugh at points, it was so emotionally beautiful.

This
Beth Groshans
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Ken's book. It's inspirational, raw and powerful. It's hard to imagine what it is like to lose the part of yourself you thought you could count on. Your strong body. Ken's sharing of this transformation of his life and body through disease is a reminder to me that the physical body isn't who we are. Ken recounts his life and experiences through the multiple voices of family and the stories of friends with humor, honesty and pain. The writing style captured me. It was like sitting down ...more
Chloe
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal, heart wrenchingly honest memoir. "Stand Up" gave me a new perspective of what it's like living day to day with a progressive disease. Although the hurdles are great (and shared with a soul bearing openness) Ken Cruickshank never looses his positive outlook. He takes the reader into his life (along with his family and many inspiring individuals) in such a way that I found myself alternately crying as I experienced his struggles, laughing at his infectious sense of humor and ...more
Betsy Myers
I won this book via Goodreads First Reads. I am an ECE administrator and I look forward to adding this book to the lending library for parents and staff at my school.
Ken
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
While this book is basically about a depressing topic, the author writes with such an upbeat and matter-of-fact voice that I actually enjoyed reading it! His description of his MS diagnosis, the various types of MS, and how the disease affected his life were all very interesting and informative. It was so refreshing to read about a man who was deal such a bad hand, but who learned to not only live with it but thrive. Quite inspirational.
Ivan Hecimovic
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first thing the reader notices when he starts reading the book are numerous dedications. This suggests that the author is thankful for many people who gave him support during his writing and possibly more.
The actual book starts with the short intro in which the author shortly describes who he is, his past, what his life was like. We discover that the author had to face many hardships (such as his father’s illness, or more precisely- MS).
The best thing about this book is that a man who
Dorothy Timm
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it
More accurately, 3 1/2. I was hoping for much more from this book. This was advertised as an encouraging book regarding a man who was diagnosed with MS and confined to a wheelchair, after having been athletic. I'm in a very similar situation, not MS but a neurological condition that has severely influenced my walking (although I'm not in a wheelchair-yet). I was hoping for some much needed encouragement, but it wasn't nearly as profound as I'd hoped. Perhaps without the expectations, I would ...more
wanda
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Thank you for writing this book. It is thought provoking and inspiring. It made me think about my own life and how lucky I am.
Susan Jacobs
« previous 1 3 next »

• Please Stay: A Brain Bleed, A Life In The Balance, A Love Story
  • Hundred Percent Chance: A Memoir
  • No Treatment Options Left: Fighting and Surviving Inoperable Cancer
  • Mi negro pasado (Como agua para chocolate, #3)
  • A Test of Will: One Man's Extraordinary Story of Survival
  • Letters from the Pit: Stories of a Physician's Odyssey in Emergency Medicine
  • Dispara, yo ya estoy muerto
  • Iacobus
  • Excellent Sheep: The Miseducation of the American Elite and the Way to a Meaningful Life
  • Ovacoming: The First Teal Year
  • The Warner Boys: Our Family’s Story of Autism and Hope
  • ER Days
  • The Pale-Faced Lie
  • Prognosis: A Memoir of My Brain
  • Losing Larissa
  • The Sun Still Shines: How a Brain Tumor Helped Me See the Light
  • Chasing Eden A Memoir
  • Cancer? But I'm a Virgo.: *This is not a book about astrology. This is a book about cancer.
After an obstreperous youth wreaking all sorts of havoc in Orange County, California, Ken Cruickshank's future was slowly and instantly rerouted through the progression of chronic disease and an accident. Needing to reinvent himself to overcome the mental burdens of managing a body that was breaking down, he discovered a passion for writing, and the technology enabling that pursuit.

Now nearly