Start by marking “The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)

The Hidden Witch

(The Witch Boy #2)

Aster and his family are adjusting to his unconventional talent for witchery; unlike the other boys in his family, he isn't a shapeshifter. He's taking classes with his grandmother and helping to keep an eye on his great-uncle whose corrupted magic wreaked havoc on the family.

Meanwhile, Aster's friend from the non-magical part of town, Charlie, is having problems of her ow
Published October 30th 2018 by Scholastic Inc. (first published October 1st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Witch, please sign up.
Char Yes. I read this first also. It made me want to read the whole series.

Start your review of The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
David Schaafsma
A solid and perhaps even better entry into the series about Aster, a boy who doesn't want to do what boys are raised to do, which is become shape-shifters. He wants to be a witch, which (!) requires some adjustment by his family and friends and society in general. His friend is Charlie, a girl who is neither a witch nor a shape-shifter, but is what J.K. Rowling would call a muggle (i.e., us). Charlie has a new friend, Ariel, a foster child, that seems to coincide with her being bothered by what ...more
Calista
I have now finished up this series. I beg Molly Ostertag to write more of these. There doesn't seem to be enough story. We need more of them.

Aster has to protect his friend Charlie from a fetch, an evil spirit. They find the trouble witch who is sending out this creature not knowing the full consequences of her actions. It's up to Aster to save the day with help from his friends.

He is also needing to help his grandmother save Aster's uncle, Mikasi, an evil witch taken over by his fetch.

I would
Sara
Is there anything more marvelous when the second book in a series delivers on all the promise of the first? If you read my reviews you'll know I live in almost perpetual fear of what I call second novel syndrome. You read a terrific first book in a trilogy or new series and then BOOM everything goes to hell in a handbasket in book two. The fun, quirky sidekick with one or two clever bon mots in book one is now front and center spouting wisecracks every two minutes till you want to puke. The magi ...more
Rod Brown
While falling a little short of the first book, this is a pretty strong follow-up that establishes an appealing Scooby gang for ongoing adventures, which I will gladly read.
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
I wasn't as bowled over by this one as I was by the first one, but that's because it feels like this plot was less original. As soon as you see Ariel, you kinda know what's going to happen.

But that's okay.

It's enjoyable, and the illustrations are a gorgeous riot of color and emotion. I love the quiet yet overt LGBTQIA+ representation, along with diverse POC, and the idea that people can change for the better. That no one is irredeemable, even if they did horrible things in the past.
rachel ☾
#1) The Witch Boy ★★★★★

Trigger warnings for (view spoiler).

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagram
Rose
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A vibrant and adorable graphic novel about children dealing with life, Ostertag amazingly couches topics like gender non-conformity, depression, and mental-illness with a fantastical shroud, making it beautifully accessible to children who may need diverse role models like the children in this book.
As with the Witch Boy, it makes me wish that something like this had been on the shelves when I was young.
Soren_P_Jr.
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish this book was longer because it is so so so good! This book has a good theme of not judging people by their outward appearance because they may have more going on in your life. This book is for everyone. Older kids can appreciate the storyline, and younger kids can appreciate the pictures. I love this series and wish I could read more of it!
Bianca
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another cute, thoughtful graphic novel that wraps up things from the first installment and nicely lays foundation for volumes to come. Was surprised to see some genuinely freaky, spooky panels in this one!

I also really appreciated the range of experiences shown here -- If you've gone through intense stuff, there are different paths to healing and moving on. General care is helpful, support from someone who closely understands your situation is helpful, and then it's also totally okay to want to
Aisling Berube
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an unbelievably good sequel. It's not often that I can say I potentially loved the sequel more than the original but Molly has created a world that I can't help but get lost in. Her characters are instantly relatable, whether they're meant to be role models or whether they're meant to teach us a lesson. To continue to read about Aster's journey is perhaps the most relatable of all for many of us, to follow a kid who is just trying to find their place in their family when they don't belon ...more
Bookishrealm
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This was my second read for #PanelAThon and I enjoyed it! I completely read the books out of order haha, so that could be a reason why I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I'll be posting a full review on here once it goes live on my blog.
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Real cute. Great story, great messages, adventurous and exciting. Art is cute and expressive. Colors are warm and enveloping.
Tib
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not my favorite out of the two, but still really good. This one deals with a new witch who lives with foster parents. She's been bullied and is now more likely to lash out than let someone get close to her, which is what happens with Charlie and Aster. This series deals with a lot of heavy topics really well and the art is simply beautiful. Definitely worth the read at like eleven at night while I waited for my parents to come back from vacation.
Lizzy // The Bookish Unicorn
I love this series so much, I can't wait for more!
Cy
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, comics
i'm emo over how good this book is????? so much friendship!! so much found family!! so much truth and honest feelings and helping each other and good vibes!! i want to read this series forever.
Kathryn Kania
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, ya, queer
I love these books T_T
Jasmine
Continuing the series theme of beautiful art and the importance of choosing kindness and relationship with people, not revenge.
While I love this story, it is not quite as striking as the first volume. Things are still hard, but at least the grandmother is helping the main character now.

I love that good people have flaws, and bad people have goodness in them. That is important to a well rounded story.

Best to start with the first volume, but this can be read on its own, but you will miss out on a killer first book, if you do.
Sarah✨
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This series is just too cute! ☺️☺️

4/5 stars ✨✨✨✨
Ciera
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
"When people treat you like a monster, you start to act like one."

In this sequel to The Witch Boy, not only do we get to see Aster further developing his magical skills as a witch, we also get to spend more time on the page with his best friend, the lovely, kind Charlie, and are introduced to Ariel, a sad, bullied girl with a hidden past. This book was great with emphasizing the emotional costs of bullying, but also the healing power of empathy and just how important friends and friendship c
Katiria
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites-books
This graphic novel series just gets better and better in each volume I loved and enjoyed this graphic novel series so much. The Witch Boy graphic novel series is one of my all-time favorite middle grades graphic novel series that I started to read a couple of years ago. I love the uniqueness and different plotline and aspect of this awesome book that I have not read before in graphic novels yet. The writing style flows very beautifully and very expository as well. I adore all the diverse charact ...more
Amber
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel series has stolen my heart. I wish I could meet these characters in real life, they are so amazing. Super excited to start the next book in this series.
Bookish
Halloween may be long over, but I like to keep things witchy throughout the entire fall season. Last year I read and loved Molly Knox Ostertag’s The Witch Boy, so I was thrilled to pick up a copy of the sequel The Hidden Witch. This book picks up shortly after the last left off with Aster beginning to learn the art of witchcraft and struggling to prove himself. When a new witch comes to town and her powers threaten his friend Charlie, Aster must use all of his newfound knowledge to save her. Bot ...more
Sara
You can enjoy this on the level of a magic adventure story, but you can also enjoy it on the level of a metaphor about the toxicity of having to suppress a core aspect of one's identity, as well as the toxicity that comes from self-hatred. Brilliant.
Maia
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, lgbtq
This is a really nice follow up to the previous book. The story is less focused on Aster and spreads out into a group of teens, some magic, some not, all trying to figure out which direction they want to go in life. The story takes place over about one week, and in this one the big battle is not against a cursed dragon, but against the bruises and wounds life deals to every misfit teen. The art is clear and effective. I want to use this book as a model for my own next comic, keeping in mind that ...more
Devon
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 9-12
An absolute home run of a sequel. It immediately had what I wanted most (which was Charlie's dads and Charlie showing clear disinterest when her friends talk about a dreamy boy from camp) and again the dialogue from these kids felt like it was taken straight from my heart.

I really cannot sing the praise of this series enough; along with continuing the themes and metaphors of gender this sequel expands the themes of hurt and anger that were there in the first book but weren't as center stage as
evelina
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's a bit less unique than the first one and not as good. But it's still great and I love love love the friendships and family-relations.
Jenna
Wonderfully done and just as good, if not better than the first! It did seem like a smaller plot than book one, but Hidden Witch tied up all the little loose ends while bringing in a new character and new troubles. Lovely drawing style again and the atmospheric color palette and border panels worked well together.

(view spoiler)

Now t
Enne (they/he)
This sequel was just as good as the first one, if not better! We are getting introduced to a wider cast of characters and the world is slowly expanding and I just love everything that's happening so much grhjdh. I'm lowkey highkey in love with all of the new characters introduced (and with all of the old ones, but that goes without saying). I'm very excited to see where Molly Ostertag takes this series in the next installment!! I would also like this series to literally never end.
Misty
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this an improvement on the first volume, and am curious to see more from the world and characters, should the series continue.
Review here (live 10/19/18).

• The Okay Witch
  • Stargazing
  • Snapdragon
  • Aquicorn Cove
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • Mooncakes
  • Go with the Flow
  • Pumpkinheads
  • The Deep & Dark Blue
  • Princess Princess Ever After
  • The Divided Earth (The Nameless City, #3)
  • Bloom
  • The Breakaways
I grew up in the forests of upstate New York, where I spent the first half of my childhood reading about fantastical adventures and the second half acting them out with foam swords at a live action roleplaying camp . I graduated in 2014 from the School of Visual Arts, where I studied cartooning and illustration, and I currently live in Los Angeles. My artistic interests include women in fiction, f ...more

The Witch Boy (3 books)
  • The Witch Boy (The Witch Boy, #1)
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)