Start by marking “The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy #2)” as Want to Read:
The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy #2)

The Hidden Witch

(The Witch Boy #2)

Aster and his family are adjusting to his unconventional talent for witchery; unlike the other boys in his family, he isn't a shapeshifter. He's taking classes with his grandmother and helping to keep an eye on his great-uncle whose corrupted magic wreaked havoc on the family.

Meanwhile, Aster's friend from the non-magical part of town, Charlie, is having problems of her ow
Published October 30th 2018 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden Witch

David Schaafsma
A solid and perhaps even better entry into the series about Aster, a boy who doesn't want to do what boys are raised to do, which is become shape-shifters. He wants to be a witch, which (!) requires some adjustment by his family and friends and society in general. His friend is Charlie, a girl who is neither a witch nor a shape-shifter, but is what J.K. Rowling would call a muggle (i.e., us). Charlie has a new friend, Ariel, a foster child, that seems to coincide with her being bothered by what ...more
Sara
Is there anything more marvelous when the second book in a series delivers on all the promise of the first? If you read my reviews you'll know I live in almost perpetual fear of what I call second novel syndrome. You read a terrific first book in a trilogy or new series and then BOOM everything goes to hell in a handbasket in book two. The fun, quirky sidekick with one or two clever bon mots in book one is now front and center spouting wisecracks every two minutes till you want to puke. The magi ...more
Rod Brown
While falling a little short of the first book, this is a pretty strong follow-up that establishes an appealing Scooby gang for ongoing adventures, which I will gladly read.
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
I wasn't as bowled over by this one as I was by the first one, but that's because it feels like this plot was less original. As soon as you see Ariel, you kinda know what's going to happen.

But that's okay.

It's enjoyable, and the illustrations are a gorgeous riot of color and emotion. I love the quiet yet overt LGBTQIA+ representation, along with diverse POC, and the idea that people can change for the better. That no one is irredeemable, even if they did horrible things in the past.
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Real cute. Great story, great messages, adventurous and exciting. Art is cute and expressive. Colors are warm and enveloping.
Jordan Berube
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an unbelievably good sequel. It's not often that I can say I potentially loved the sequel more than the original but Molly has created a world that I can't help but get lost in. Her characters are instantly relatable, whether they're meant to be role models or whether they're meant to teach us a lesson. To continue to read about Aster's journey is perhaps the most relatable of all for many of us, to follow a kid who is just trying to find their place in their family when they don't belon ...more
Bookish
Halloween may be long over, but I like to keep things witchy throughout the entire fall season. Last year I read and loved Molly Knox Ostertag’s The Witch Boy, so I was thrilled to pick up a copy of the sequel The Hidden Witch. This book picks up shortly after the last left off with Aster beginning to learn the art of witchcraft and struggling to prove himself. When a new witch comes to town and her powers threaten his friend Charlie, Aster must use all of his newfound knowledge to save her. Bot ...more
Maia
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, lgbtq
This is a really nice follow up to the previous book. The story is less focused on Aster and spreads out into a group of teens, some magic, some not, all trying to figure out which direction they want to go in life. The story takes place over about one week, and in this one the big battle is not against a cursed dragon, but against the bruises and wounds life deals to every misfit teen. The art is clear and effective. I want to use this book as a model for my own next comic, keeping in mind that ...more
Jenna
Wonderfully done and just as good, if not better than the first! It did seem like a smaller plot than book one, but Hidden Witch tied up all the little loose ends while bringing in a new character and new troubles. Lovely drawing style again and the atmospheric color palette and border panels worked well together.

(view spoiler)

Now t
orangerful
Just as good as the first one! I didn't even remember I had requested this so when it appeared on my desk, I was cautiously optimistic about a sequel to 'The Witch Boy'. But this was a fantastic read and I'm hoping there will be a book 3 so continue the adventures of these four kids.
Misty
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this an improvement on the first volume, and am curious to see more from the world and characters, should the series continue.
Review here (live 10/19/18).
Cy
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, comics
i'm emo over how good this book is????? so much friendship!! so much found family!! so much truth and honest feelings and helping each other and good vibes!! i want to read this series forever.
Rachel Macklin
I didn't like this quite as much as the first one, but I loved the emotional depth of this story. I really enjoy that Ostertag is showing healing through restorative justice to a young audience.
Lizzy // The Bookish Unicorn
I love this series so much, I can't wait for more!
Dakota Morgan
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Hidden Witch is the rare follow-up that actually improves upon its predecessor. My sole complaint about The Witch Boy was that character- and world-building was lacking. The Hidden Witch fortunately solves that problem by bringing a new, outsider witch into the world and focusing on a smaller group of characters so that their personalities can really shine.

Aster, the witch boy from the previous volume, must help his non-witch friend Charlie fend off a fetch, a shadow monster born from a witc
Winter Blanc
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kim
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a worthy sequel to The Witch Boy. The Hidden Witch is a story of redemption and finding one's place in the world. The main characters this time around include a new girl at school, Ariel, as well as Charlie and Aster. Ariel has lived a hard life and is currently in the foster system. There's no information about how long she's been in care, but she doesn't seem to know much to anything about her parents, so it appears that she may have been raised by the state. Her current family doesn't ...more
Gemma
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A solid follow-up to the first book, consistent in themes, story substance, engaging visuals, and array of characters.

This is a touching story of developing self-confidence in one's abilities and interests, learning about / cultivating true friendship, redemption and learning to move forward from one's mistakes. In particular, I think one of the story's strengths is the author's portrayal of Charlie's empathy, her genuine and simple attempts to welcome the new girl, Ariel, into her small circle
Kirsten
A sequel to the wonderful Witch Boy! This wonderful book expands on the character of Charlie, Aster's best friend from town. When Charlie meets Ariel, the new girl at her school, she reacts to her in typical warm, Charlie fashion. But can Ariel find it in herself to trust Charlie? Meanwhile, Aster is struggling in his witchery classes; not all of his family are entirely happy to be teaching a boy, and his grandmother has a frightening project for him in exchange for her tutoring skills...

This do
Peter
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly I didn't think this one was quite as good as the first book, but it was still pretty darn good. I love the art style and the real friendship between Aster and Charlie. Ariel was a great misunderstood outcast-type character that needed true friendship to overcome the pain that bullying created. In the end it was a great lesson about friendship, not letting your inner darkness overtake you, and listening to what your heart tells you.
Nicole
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good, way more predictable than the first and seems like more of a middle filler than a sequel. While I read the first as more of an analogy for the trans experience, this one resonates with anyone being bullied for an outcast with a less than subtle metaphor for letting the anger fester inside you/the victim mentality.

I hope the author continues the series, the world is great and I wish to see more.
Hazel
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing.

It's about a boy who's a witch (which, in his world, the norm is that women are witches and men are shape-shifters), a girl who plays basket-ball (she's one of the non-magic people), a shifter who doesn't want to do magic, and a girl who's magic has gone wrong.

All in all, 5 stars.
Brenda Kahn
So happy to return to Aster's world. He is reluctantly helping his grandmother heal his grandfather but learning more about cultivating his unusual magic. Charlie befriends a new girl at school who becomes jealous of Charlie's other friends and has a secret. As in the first volume, the art is rich and expressive. Certain new plot elements hint at the possibility of future volumes and that makes me happy.
Colona Public Library
Still and excellent and strong title. Seems like they are exploring characters and creating bonds preparing for future volumes! A solid and strong follow up to the first book, I didn't enjoy it as much the first BUT I feel like there are some really good things to come. I really love the art style and am looking forward to future volumes.

~Ashley
Babsidi
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This series continues to impress with spectacular characters, gorgeous art, and lovely story/character work. It wasn't in our library an hour before one of my favorite patrons was hungrily grabbing it off the shelf.
Ashley Stark
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very cute!
Danica
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adore seeing the characters grow and change. Hope this will be a long series over the years.
Molly
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been excited to read this ever since I heard there would be a follow-up to The Witch Boy, and I was not at all disappointed.
Tucker Maltby
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a great continuation of the first. Excited to see the series continue.
Jessie Bond
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think I could love anything more than The Witch Boy, but then it got a sequel. <3 <3 <3
  • Aquicorn Cove
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 2
  • Sanity & Tallulah
  • The Creepy Case Files of Margo Maloo
  • All's Faire in Middle School
  • The Sand Warrior (5 Worlds, #1)
  • How Mirka Caught a Fish (Hereville #3)
  • The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 4
  • Scales & Scoundrels, Vol. 1: Into The Dragon’s Maw
  • The Cardboard Kingdom
  • As the Crow Flies
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 7: A Bird's-Eye View
  • Mighty Jack (Mighty Jack, #1)
  • Ladycastle
  • Space Battle Lunchtime Vol. 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion
  • Mr. Wolf's Class (Mr. Wolf's Class, #1)
  • Taproot
I grew up in the forests of upstate New York, where I spent the first half of my childhood reading about fantastical adventures and the second half acting them out with foam swords at a live action roleplaying camp . I graduated in 2014 from the School of Visual Arts, where I studied cartooning and illustration, and I currently live in Los Angeles. My artistic interests include women in fiction, f ...more

The Witch Boy (3 books)
  • The Witch Boy (The Witch Boy #1)
  • The Midwinter Witch