Start by marking “Married to a Cave Man” as Want to Read:
Married to a Cave Man

Married to a Cave Man

ebook
Published 2017 by The Pigeonhole

To ask other readers questions about Married to a Cave Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Married to a Cave Man

Charmaine Saliba
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Simply love it! First of all, I have to thank The Pigeonhole and the author Damien Owens for the opportunity to read this novel. A fast paced read about the struggles of marriage and paternal hood. I really like the author style and the humour he puts in it even when discussing difficult topics as infertility, depression, struggle to cope with children upgrowing and also infidelity. At some point I had to stop reading because I end up in tears for laughing. As I said I really enjoyed it even tho ...more
Caroline
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Nancy and Redmond, Leo and Deidre, and Julie and Dooley - all married, and all going through their own life problems, The book starts off finding out how each of the couples meet, the fast-forwards a few years to find out how their relationships have developed.
Nancy, who always made a point of saying children needed their mothers at home full time in their preschool years, is stressed out of her mind looking after her two young boys and longs to go back to work. Redmond, deeply unhappy in his jo
Shelley
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What man doesn’t want a man cave? A place that’s all yours where you can hang out with your friends and drink or watch sports or whatever you do in there. But what if the wife doesn’t like that idea and your whole world seems to fall apart? Three different men, all neighbors, find out what happens when they try to carve out a little space of their own. Instead of a little piece of heaven, they find out, along with their wives, that marriage is not always easy and that sometimes you have to make ...more
Krysztina
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Married to a Cave Man is a breath of fresh air in a genre that's become so overstuffed with clichés that four out of five books look, read, and end the same. By comparison, Damien Owens's work is messy, fast-paced and raw - just like real life. The characters feel real - they're complex, they're flawed, and their motivations aren't always clear (even to themselves). It might be a bit difficult to keep track of who's who at first, but once the story began to unfold I found myself turning page aft ...more
Trish
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There you go, see? THIS is how you combine humour with real human drama and emotion. Here it is.
Charlotte Jones
* Disclaimer: I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*

I became drawn to this book mostly due to the cover and also the fact that it is a contemporary fiction about marriage written by a male author, which I feel is not very common.

When all of the characters were introduced at the beginning of the novel, I felt that I might get confused between them. However, this was not the case and I found that they were all distinct and had their own personalities. Each member of
Jeanne Walker
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this via Pigeonhole. Really enjoyable, and made me happy I am single.
FNM
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Thank You to NetGalley and the publishers for providing me with a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

This is a story of three married couples as they try to deal with various different aspects in their married life. What ends up tying them all together is 'the man cave', that little area for the men to relax, unwind, whatever they may need.

What I liked at the very start was how the author introduced the couples, which was of course their first meeting, I loved this because although a sho
Jessica Hinton
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-review
Funny and light, without being trite...

If you have ever wanted to bash your significant other around the head with a blunt instrument one moment and in the next instance wondered if you might actually be married to a real life superhero because you are so in awe of them, then you will identify with this book. We all love our other halves, right? But crikey oh blimey they know how to push our buttons.

So many “romance books” (not sure this entirely falls into that category, but for argument's sake
John Braine
Damien Owens is one of the funniest people on Twitter at the moment. But I think there's a skill in witty one-liners and social commentary that doesn't quite translate into a genuinely funny novel. Well, plenty of others seemed to like it but the comedy just didn't really work for me, sorry.

For what it's worth there's something to be said for actually finishing it and giving it two stars which in Goodreads terms means I thought "it was ok". I rarely give low ratings because I usually abandon a
Angie
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this through Pigeonhole and loved it. Truly, waking-in-the-middle-of-the-night-to-keep-reading loved it. I thought the way that the couples are set out for us in the beginning was fresh and innovative and I found all of their individual stories and interactions fascinating and true to life. I also felt that the author (who is a man) writes women extremely well. My only criticism (and crushing disappointment) was that it ended so abruptly. I wasn't ready to let go yet. I look forward to mo ...more
Kim
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew Damien was a great writer before I started this book but if I hadn't known that before I would be aware now. Damien Owens is a master of dialogue and this book is no exception. Beautifully written and an absolute pleasure to read.

Would translate well into a tv series. I'd love to see these characters on screen.

I didn't want this book to end.
R Y Fowler
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Not usually my genre of choice but I gave this a try on Pigeonhole. The characters were very believable although (call me an optimist!) it felt like quite a depressing portrayal of modern relationships! Definitely worth a read.
Caroline
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
just finished reading this via Pigeonhole and loved it. it has a fair amount of humour and some of the descriptions are classic and I could just imagine the events.
It is about 3 couples and a defining moment in each couples lives.
well worth the read.
thanks Damien
Fred Grigor
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book courtesy of the Pigeonhole. I found it numerous in parts, following the lives of three couples. There interaction was typical in young married couples. Their problem could be extreme in part but overall the outcome was great.
Lisa
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three dimensional characters

And a relatable story. Engaging read perfect for a lazy Sunday or a beach read. I was disappointed when it ended.
Carrie
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book on Pigeonhole, and it’s a great light read with a lot of laugh out loud moments! The author has such a natural style and the couples are realistic and relatable throughout.
Rose
May 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Just ok
DebsD
I'm going to be the grinch here (again) - well, there has to be one, doesn't there? So far all the other reviews have been very positive, with 4 stars being the lowest rating, but this just didn't do it for me. I requested it from NetGalley partly because it sounded fun and entertaining and partly because it's set in Dublin and written by an Irish author (I'm aiming to read more Irish authors/material this year). It's readable, but just a bit too lightweight. There were some amusing lines, but i ...more
Jennifer Vogel
Jan 25, 2018
Helen Wilson
May 13, 2018
Di Paterson
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved the down-to-earth nature of the book. It's realistic and shows a slice of married life for what it is; the humour, the pathos, and sometimes the downright ridiculousness of it all! I was chuckling throughout, alternating at points with frustration at the spouses, and almost shouting at them to just communicate! But that's (married) life ... I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Damien Owens' style is very readable, and I'll be on the lookout for more of his work.
Natasha AndPatrick
May 06, 2018
Ivar Musum
Jul 24, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Damien Owens was born in Monaghan, Ireland, in 1971. His first novel, Dead Cat Bounce was published in 2001, and was followed a year later by Peter and Mary Have a Row. In 2008, The Bright Side was published under the name Alex Coleman. A second Alex Coleman novel, Little Black Everything, appeared in 2009.

He also created and wrote a TV comedy/drama called Trivia, two series of which were broadcas