Start by marking “Black Velvet (The Erin O'Reilly Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
Black Velvet (The Erin O'Reilly Mysteries #1)

Black Velvet

(The Erin O'Reilly Mysteries #1)

Book 1 in the Erin O'Reilly Mysteries series. Be sure to pick up Book 2: Irish Car Bomb, Book 3: White Russian, and Book 4: Double Scotch, out now!

Erin learned a lot from her partner: stay alert, follow your nose, and once you've got your teeth in them, never let go.

It’s tough working nights with the NYPD. The crime rate is high, the hours are terrible, and forget abou
Published November 17th 2017 by Clickworks Press

To ask other readers questions about Black Velvet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Velvet

Start your review of Black Velvet (The Erin O'Reilly Mysteries #1)
Betty
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Glancing through a series of suggested books to read, a beautiful German shepherd caught my eye. Reading the synopsis, I learned he is a K-9 dog and his handler is Patrolman Erin O'Reilly of the NYPD. They are working the night shift when the tale begins. Transfer to days Erin visit a bar and meets an art appraiser. He invited her to a major art exhibit. While there, see Erin watched a robbery in progress and becomes involved in attempting to stop it. A follow patrolman is shot and dies in her a ...more
John Hanson
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A good old fashioned crime novel!

This was a very fast read, because the characters were well done, the plot was good, and the writing style easy flowing. Nothing too complicated, just an entertaining cops-and-robbers story. I hope there will be more Erin O’Reilly mysteries in the near future!
Joy Smith
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed Black Velvet; I like Erin, the heroine (a dedicated cop--not a detective yet--but she really focuses on solving her cases--and is a little reckless); Rolf, her K-9 partner; and Doctor Schenk, a German with a background that gets him involved in solving the art heist also. I was slightly suspicious of the villain early on, but I wasn't the only one... Satisfying ending.
Laura Poppenwimer
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This NYPD police officer and her dog Rolf are switched from night shift to day shift and encounter a art theft during an opening exhibition. The investigation though turned over to detectives, has O'Reilly continuing to follow up on clues in spite of being warned she was not allowed to investigate. After many screw ups by the investigating detectives, she and her dog Rolf finally corner the master mind of the theft. It was a pretty good mystery, really followed through on the development of the ...more
Quillracer
Feb 06, 2020 rated it liked it
This was not a great book but it was far better than many I’ve read.

It uses the formula of the main character police officer who refuses to stand down after order to by her superiors. Sometimes this device comes across as worn-out and lame. It didn’t here.

Some of the secondary characters were out of central casting but Henry gives them enough substance to keep them from being cardboard cutouts.

I’ll be back for more.
PWA Allen
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. Erin is gun ho about her job, along with her K9. The story is interesting, well written and an enjoyable read. It's also believable right down to her own flaws-makes her human and you can certainly relate to her character.
This was a new author for me, but one I intend to read more.
Read it in one sitting.
Belinda Young
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

Loved this book !,looking for book 3. A page Turner. I recommend this series and author. Thanks, Belinda Young from Mississippi
Shirley
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good read. If you like John Grisham, David Baldacci, or John Sandford you will like this new author.
His first book was very good for a first attempt. Description were strong. Character were vividly described. He was a bit slow moving into the plot but that is a new author and he needs to come on more strong in the beginning but it was a book I had to have and I plan on buying a hard copy to go with my electronic copy.
I can't wait for the next book "Irish Car Bomb" the female detective is a goo
Vicky
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in the Erin O’Reilly series. It’s my first by the author! I loved all the characters. Erin O’Reilly comes from a family of cops. She’s smart, pretty, strong, independent and she has a k9 for a partner. Erin’s co worker policeman was shot in her presence and he later dies of his injuries. Erin attempts to find the killer despite criticism by fellow policeman. The book has excitement and mystery. It’s enjoyable easy reading. I can’t wait to read book #2.
Dci1836
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good read
Erin
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very cute cozy "who dunnit" I will certainly read the rest.
Marylou Willis
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this book

A good book about art, thieves, murder and a gutsy beat cop and her K9 partner. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Tony Hisgett
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review, mystery, thriller
This was a really easy book to read, once I started I didn’t put the book down until I finished. The main character, Erin, is a bit ‘gung-ho’, but it makes for a fast paced story.
Susan
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fast Paced Book

Great characters and storyline. As a fellow German Shepherd owner, I enjoy books that show how intelligent and capable this breed is. Erin is a kick ass police officer who doesn’t back down from a case until she gets the bad guys. I can’t wait to read the next book in this series
Rita Pochard
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Liked it a lot.

Was looking for something new with a dog and a great central character. Erin and Rolf fit the bill. I found more substance than I thought I would. Erin is tough,smart but also sensitive. Looking forward to the next book.
Cheryl Carmoega
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great first book of series!!!

Got to love Erin O'Reilly and Rolf!!!! Well written and developed story and characters!!! Ready for the second book of the series.
Manon
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The first of the serie and what a discovery! After this book could not help go and buy the second!
Judy Churchill
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Very average in every respect. I just bought another book with a cool dog picture on the front!
Stanley McShane
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: author-request
Erin O'Reilly is a patrol officer for the NYPD with K-9 partner Rolf. She is second generation NYPD and proud of it, strong, confident, and dedicated.

A date at a major art gala runs awry when men dressed as part of the security team grabs an extremely valuable painting. The painting has yet to be authenticated and the exhibit lacks sufficient security. Unfortunately, a patrolman gets caught in the crossfire. In formal attire and without her normal gear, she does her best with the downed officer'
Jan
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the first book I've read by Steven Henry and I liked it. There's already another book in this series and I plan to read it.

I like police procedurals and especially like ones that include K-9 dogs! Erin O'Reilly is a patrol officer for the NYPD and her partner is a German Shepherd named Rolf. Her dad was also a cop for NYPD so she knows what the job entails and she's an enthusiastic and dedicated officer. She and Rolf work well together and trust each other. Erin gets a certain amount of
Kelly Stine
Oct 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I got into this book because first and foremost I love German Shepherds and second I love and respect dogs that are trained and used as K-9s - in the military and in law enforcement. At one time, while I was in the Navy, I had thought about trying to become a K-9 handler. And the German Shepherd on the cover of the book is just gorgeous! The picture is what caught my attention - in particular since I recently had to say good-bye to my 13 year old German Shepherd named Lizzie 😪 (named after Lizzi ...more
Sandra Whittiker
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Black Velvet (The Erin O'Reilly K-9 Mysteries Book 1)

Erin is just a regular beat cop, just like her dad was, doing her best to catch the bad guys. But on Friday night's was when she went to bed favorite friendly had to have a drink and let all the weirdness of the week to away and be somebody else's problem now. She never got into conversations with strange men, but maybe she could make an exception this time. He was very intelligent, nice , polite and he did not talk cop shop, that's what made
Diana
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
A new reader

I thoroughly enjoyed this series. The characters were well fleshed out and interesting. The plot thickened as it went along. Erin O'REILLY was one tough and very capable cop. Luke was an interesting date and gave me pause when their last date ended mysteriously. The cast of suspects were also well done, it wasn't until the end that I guessed the first culprit, but I didn't guess the final suspect. I enjoy reading these types of genre, trying to guess Who Done It.
Mary Pat
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: K-9 fiction readers and those who like police procedurals
I'm a fan of K-9 fiction and always looking for new/good authors and stories. Steven Henry is an excellent writer. I liked Erin, the main character to a degree. She was a little too tough-girl for my taste, but she was well-drawn and had reasonable depth. The dog's role was well-defined. The interaction between Rolf and Erin was enjoyable. The ending was especially good--nice to be appreciated by someone in NYPD, even if it isn't your own superiors. Don't know that I'll read any more from this s ...more
BookWorm
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
A badass heroine with a German Shepherd sidekick? Sign me up.

I read it all in 2 sittings so it was quite an easy and compelling read. The story wasn't as mysterious as I would have liked. I could see who the 'bad guy' was a mile away and so there weren't any surprises for me. I also found Erin slightly too reckless and almost arrogant. But maybe when she's in a more suitable role for her apparent abilities in the next book it will be a better read.
Jo Anne
Sep 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Seem to be reading an enjoying a great deal of K-9 cops books. This series is about a patrol cop who has a German Shepard partner. A painting, looted by Nazis, has been found and put on display at a museum. On the night of the show, someone steals the painting, a cop gets shot, and Erin and Rolf the K-9 go off the reservation to solve the case despite being warned off by snotty detectives. A fast and easy and fast paced read. I already picked up books 2 and 3!
MELISSA
Oct 18, 2020 rated it liked it
My first Erin O'Reilly mystery and I liked it enough to pick up the second book in the series. The heroine Erin and her K-9 partner Rolf wasted no time taking down a burglar and within days patrol officer Erin found herself in the middle of a high-stakes art theft. A furious pace was set as Erin on her own time dug up clues. Interesting ending (no spoilers here) with my being engaged sufficiently to want to get to know more about Erin and Rolf.
Pam Bales
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very satisfying read

I'm glad I read this. I've been a fan of police procedurasl for more years than I can remember. Add in a canine partner, a setting in New York, great plot, and interesting details and what more can you want? I'm already on to the next. Erin and Rolf have moved up in the rankings and they are on to great things.
Nikii
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Fast-paced, engaging, and fun. Some rather improbable coincidences and events, but all well-written and balanced out by the fact that the male author never once mentioned (much less described in creepy detail) the female protagonist's breasts, butt, general figure, or sex appeal. Two thumbs up, already reading the sequel!
LAWRENCE GILSDORF
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Great K-9 / Detective Duo

I couldn't put it down. Now it looks like I'll be reading the whole series. I own a K-9 wannabe that is more comfortable with his toys than bad guys.
If you like good police procedurals, you will become hooked on Steven Henry's writings. He does not leave any loose ends.

Enjoy!!!

• The Forever Team: A detective and her K9 (Detective Laci Jolett Book 1)
  • Avenging Adam (FBI-K9 #1)
  • Grave Instinct (K-9 Mystery #1)
  • Scent of Fear
  • The Forever Partner (A Laci Jolett Mystery Book 2)
  • Lone Wolf (FBI K-9, #1)
  • Storm Rising (FBI K-9, #3)
  • Dangerous Justice: A K9 Unit Story
  • Survival Instinct (Cerberus Tactical K9 #1)
  • Before It's Too Late (FBI K-9, #2)
  • Mistaken Target (The Forrestville Series Book 1)
  • No Man's Land (FBI K-9, #4)
  • Protective Instinct (Cerberus Tactical K9 #2)
  • Inside the Echo (The Flint K-9 Search and Rescue Mysteries #2)
  • The Forever Friend (A Laci Jolett Mystery Book 3)
  • K-9 Outlaw (A Kelton Jager Adventure #1)
  • Body Count (FBI-K9 #2)
  • Tracking Game (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery #5)
Steven Henry is the USA Today bestselling author of the Erin O’Reilly mysteries and the Clarion Chronicles.

Steven learned how to read almost before he learned how to walk. Ever since he began reading stories, he wanted to put his own on the page. He lives a very quiet and ordinary life in Minnesota with his wife and dog.

The Erin O'Reilly Mysteries (9 books)
  • Irish Car Bomb (The Erin O'Reilly Mysteries #2)
  • White Russian (The Erin O'Reilly Mysteries #3)
  • Double Scotch (The Erin O'Reilly K-9 Mysteries #4)
  • Manhattan (The Erin O'Reilly Mysteries #5)
  • Black Magic (The Erin O'Reilly Mysteries #6)
  • Death By Chocolate (The Erin O'Reilly K-9 Mysteries #7)
  • Massacre (The Erin O'Reilly Mysteries #8)
  • Flashback (The Erin O'Reilly Mysteries #9)