Start by marking “Eye of the Moon” as Want to Read:
Eye of the Moon

Eye of the Moon

Johnny's legendary socialite Aunt Alice mysteriously died while reading the Egyptian Book of the Dead when he and Percy were ten. They have been kept in the dark about that night ever since...

Twenty years later, they are reunited, along with family and guests, for a weekend house party at Rhinebeck, the sumptuous estate once owned by Alice.

But Rhinebeck holds more than jus
Published February 6th 2018 by Smith-Obolensky Media

To ask other readers questions about Eye of the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eye of the Moon

Jordan
I really enjoyed this book! The book starts out a bit slower than I would have liked, and at the beginning, it appeared to be a book I would not enjoy. The book takes place within the high class society, and for me, the characters were a bit harder to relate to at this point. However, the book picked up pace shortly after and didn't look back. The characters were well developed and became very relatable, despite their background story. The novel was fast paced and very intriguing. I found myself ...more
Victoria
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
MY FIRST REVIEW EVER!!!

WOW!! I LOVED THIS BOOK. IT WAS AMAZING. A MUST READ. I CAN'T WAIT TO GET THE HARD COPY. SO I CAN READ IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN. THIS BOOK WAS VERY WELL WRITTEN. I LOVE HOW PERCY AND JOHNNY REUNITED. I LIKE THE HOUSE MANAGER IS SO COLD BUT IN A GOOD WAY. ALL THE MYSTERY MAKES ME WANT MORE.
ONE OF THE BEST THRILLERS I HAVE READ ALL YEAR. EVERY PAGE I READ I WANTED MORE AND MORE. READING EYE OF THE MOON WAS SUCH AN ENJOYABLE EXPERIENCE. THIS BOOK WAS FULLED WITH, ADVENTURE, HUM
Melissa ownsbey
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ok so heres my thoughts i enjoyed it
but for a while it was slow and took a bit
for me to get into the book
but once i did i was like woohoo
this is gonna be a good one
and i was right
its like a gothic murder myster
type thing
its a unreion of friends
then they gotta fugiure out what happened
to sunt alice
twist and turns
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a gothic-type mystery of how Aunt Alice died while reading The Egyptian Book of The Dead. The story unfolds 20 years later where Johnny, Percy and their family and guests find out the truth amidst a celebratory dinner at Alice’s Estate “Rhinebeck”. The themes of occult, mystery, new love, old acquaintances, and new and old secrets occur in this 542 page novel.

For a book by a debut author this was very well written. I haven’t read a book written this well in a long time. The words flowed
Dawn
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such a surprise. If you love big house mysteries, Downtown Abbey, and Cluedo 'who done its' , you will love this. It is a modern day mystery. Gothic and a wee bit of supernatural thrown in for good measure. It was really entertaining, I loved every minute of it. Each character has a good role and story, nobody is left out. The two main characters, Percy and Johnny, oh sorry, and Robert the Bruce (dog), bounce off each other well. The story pulls you in as more things are discovered, and ...more
Amalias
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It had been a while since I'd picked up a novel and not only finished it but gobbled it up hungrily. "Eye of the Moon" is now one of my favorite books and a concoction of all the things that spike my curiosity. The occult, family intrigues, a mansion with a dark personality of its own, and profound characters that you commit to are the stuff "Eye of the Moon" is made of.
Chelz Lor
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Scooby-Doo Fans
*I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review*

This story had a way of making me think of Downton Abbey and simultaneously make me understand why that show was such a gem. Nothing can really compare, though Eye of the Moon does try. And for that I appreciate it.

We are introduced to our two protagonists as it were in Percy and Johnny as they navigate a stressful weekend at the family estate, Rhinebeck, with Johnny's outlandish family and their friends. This is all told from the point of view
E von Schoff
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Eye of the Moon begins innocuously with the reunion of two childhood friends--Percy and Johnny--whose friendship broke up several years back with the demise of their joint business venture. But their bromance is quickly rekindled. Johnny is off to spend the weekend with his family and some mysterious guests. He suspects he's being set up to meet the daughter of family friends with an eye to future nuptials. He isn't at all sure that is what he or the woman in question would want. What Johnny doe ...more
NYCswede
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I can't wait to see the movie!

If Downton Abbey and Gossip Girls had a love child named Wednesday (as in Adams), she would live in this upstate New York world of well chilled Cristal privilege, inter-generational love triangles, cutthroat business deals and occult deaths with a Victorian flair.

In Eye of the Moon, the two main characters are Percy and the deceased aunt of Percy's best friend and almost brother Johnny; Alice.

This is a glamorous universe; an estate in Rhinebeck, where everyone chang
Shaphir
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs-free-copies
*4.5 stars*
This is such a great book! Filled with mystery, magic and a healthy dose of humour, this book is everything you'd expect from reading the blurb. Eye of the Moon is filled with twists and turns and all the characters are instantly relatable, as well as realistic. Even if some descriptions do get a bit long, I didn't grow bored. It just made me want to read faster. Because everything was connected in this suspenseful mystery.
Another great thing about this book is that you actually won't
Quinn Richardson
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone.
Eye of the Moon brings to mind flavors of Downton Abbey and Agatha Christie with a dash of paranormal to taste. It is suspenseful and intriguing. It "reads" smoothly like a fine scotch, easily leading you in to turn each page. There is history, formality and the magnificent illustrated setting of Rhinebeck.

Eye of the Moon starts off simple enough with our two main characters and their slightly complicated relationship. Straightaway, we are given our push and pull to carry us through the ups, dow
Lynn Keith
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read This

Gosh this is an odd book. How to start? First off, I really, really liked it. The problem is I just can't categorize it. The darn thing is about one third historical, one third supernatural and one third soap opera. You have two young rich guys going home to a big country estate one weekend to be with a bunch of rich people they don't really know well. The estate is being transferred to someone over the weekend since the former owner is dead. There is a history of supernatural activity
Kurtwood Smith
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great time I had reading Ivan Obolensky’s Eye Of The Moon! Full of wonderfully fresh characters, it’s a story full of stories that become interwoven as the novel unfolds. Looming over the book and all the characters is the fabulous estate of Rhinebeck, part gothic castle, part Downton Abbey and part upstate New York country home. The estate holds many secrets, mysteries and the hearts of all who have lived there or hope too. But it’s the characters that we take with us and hope to see aga ...more
Annamay Gambino
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First let me explain why I chose this book. I love the title and cover for one thing. I wanted something to take outside with me to read while sitting in the sunshine and convincing my newly adopted rescue dog that she was safe and secure. Another factor was that I wouldn't binge read it. Wrong on the last. I'm not a mystery reader, but missing is another thing. Missing can be interesting as long as it is not as convoluted as Gone Girl.
And, last but not least, I love the name Ivan Obolensky.
Th
Silvia
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"I just finished reading Eye of the Moon. It was a excellent, fantastic book. I loved the way the characters were presented, I felt I really got to know each one of them and, mostly, I did understand their uniques personalities.

The book has mystery, joyful moments, absolutely interesting passages and the more I read, the more I was unable to put it down.

I am so eager to get the sequel so I can find out what happened to Percy, Bruni, Maw, Stanley and the other individuals that were involved in lo
Alanna
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bewitching
Do you believe in magic? This was a wonderful story, or maybe I should say a Magical Read. The story starts out in a whirl as Johnny and Percy are reunited after many years of no contact with one another. The long weekend takes so many turns as we learn about the family and the family country estate. I feel like there was so much momentum to this novel. I would definitely read a follow up novel. And I do believe in people can fall in love in a heartbeat. Thank you so much for an enchanting read ...more
Bailey Meeker
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a real treat. It’s definitely a fun gothic family mystery with some supernatural elements. It’s about the family secrets of a very wealthy family and their friends. It is set in the 70s, but since the family is so wealthy, it reads like something from a Victorian novel. I won’t give away anything, but there are a lot of twists in the second half of the book. Once they start up, you get one insight after another. Some of them are expected and others come out of the blue.

It sets up
Michelle
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was given an advance readers copy of this book, and it took me a bit to start it. However, once I did, I read it straight through.

Not my usually genre of book, and the writing is very descriptive so sometimes the story can be a bit long, but an interesting take on the magic stories that are so popular right now. The character building is really what is enjoyable and following a gothic, 70s, magic story was very enjoyable. Great book! Thanks for the opportunity to review.
Jeanne
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Eye Of The Moon is a well written, enjoyable gothic mystery filled with secrets, treasures, twists and turns, and the paranormal. The character development was excellent with Percy, Johnny, and Robert the Bruce, keeping me interested from the beginning of this ingenious tale, to the end. The descriptions throughout the novel are also well done which adds great depth to this great story. Well done, Ivan Obolensky. I am looking forward to reading more of your novels.
Vanessa Richardson
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Obolensky has woven a fascinating and enchanting web with his novel. An intellectual roller coaster ride, it took me to another place in time, and is a breath of fresh air in today's world where we sometimes forget the art of conversation and the importance of forgiveness and love. It has something for everyone, and I will certainly be reading it again and again to catch the subtle nuances and relive the surprises that come throughout the story!
Sumcat63
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, my goodness.

I am so pleased to have found this little treasure. It turned out to be quite surprising. I thought it would be just another haunted house mystery, but it was so much more. The characters are so well developed and the tale so complex I had trouble putting it down. It has a few spots where it drags and leaves questions unanswered throughout. But it is charming, mysterious, haunting, and uplifting. I throughly enjoyed it.
Maria
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully engaging read. Five hundred pages that grab you and won’t let go of you, while taking you in a swirl of discoveries through the realms of magic, finance, love, passion and intrigue. Not for one moment did I feel it lacked research or knowledge of the subjects touched upon. It awoke many memories of my growing up. The splendor of a beautifully set table, the perfect orchestration of a well-served dinner. The joy of taking it for granted.
Sean
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I mostly enjoyed this book, I think its completely misleading. I don't think this book is a mystery in any way. The cast of characters is interesting and their machinations are intriguing, the weekend was less than eventful. Lots on conversations but lacking. Also, the book seemed like it could keep its own time period straight. Overall, a decent read that isn't what I was expecting or hoping for.
anne pizzuto
Confusing story

Thought it was going to be a ghost story in an old mansion but turned out to be mostly about financial dealings between the characters. I kept plugging along and finished the book but at the end I am confused with all the convolutions, twists,turns and hints of something spiritual or magical which didn't go anywhere. Confusing is the only way I can describe it. My favorite character was the dog.
Emilie Hanson
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this novel.
Ivan has a way of transporting you from one persons perspective to another's effortlessly.
It was also interesting imagining living in a life that most do not have the opportunity , so that was fun!
It is intellectually written, but I didn't need a dictionary haha.
Looking forward to reading more from this great author!
Roxanne
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a Goodreads win review. This is a really excellent book about a mystery/thriller about tow men who remember their aunt died while reading a book. So they decide to investigate her death and they get involved in their own mystery. This is an interesting read based in the social scene of New York in 1970 when these characters lived in the high society.
Laura Sarley
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Eye of the Moon is a delightful story, full of family dynamics, intrigue and the occult. I found the plot to slowly unfold in a very compelling way as the characters' lives unfolded before me. The sections dealing with the powers of intuition were so very insightful. I learned much about the occult and can definitely see this work being produced as a miniseries ....and I can't wait!
Melanie
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rich in detail, wit, and gothic mystery, "Eye of the Moon" reads like a carefully crafted stage play. The world, albeit almost all contained within the mansion Rhinebeck, is precise and vivid, and the characters sharply drawn. If you enjoy witty banter and dynastic politics with a touch of Agatha Christie type mystery, you'll enjoy "Eye of the Moon".
NancySmith
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Eye of the Moon" has it all... Facts and fiction. It takes you to experience an adventure full of mystery and magic - where all characters alive, or not, become your friends - I am looking forward to living a new adventure with a sequel. I so much want to know what happens next ... Very well written. Chapeau !
Judith A Ford
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Challenging to get into but worth it.

A very complex story about an upper crust family living in a mystical house by the Hudson river. I must admit I tried of the complexity about halfway through but was drawn back to it by that same complexity. Hopefully there will be more to come of this story as I felt the last third of the book was the most engaging part of the story. There could have a lot less of the first third of the book.
  • New Friends (Life in the Neck #1)
  • Undertakers, Harlots and Other Odd Bodies: Inspired by True Events and Smothered in Blarney
  • Valeria Vose
  • ETTY STEELE Vampire Hunter (The Hunter Series Book 1)
  • Prairie Cove I: Don't Bend
  • Agents of C.U.N.T.
  • Dead in the Water: (UK Edition) - The hot new international crime thriller
  • The Road Out: Musings from a Southern Wanderlust
  • Murder in Magic City (A Connor Cole Mystery #1)
  • Where the Wind Heals
  • Cowboys, Creatures, and Classics: The Story of Republic Pictures
  • The Black and the Blue: A Cop Reveals the Crimes and Racism in America's Law Enforcement and the Search for Change
  • Compelled
  • You Belong to Me (Frank Gould Mysteries #1)
  • Shots Fired in Terminal 2: A Witness to the Fort Lauderdale Airport Shooting Reflects on America's Mass Shooting Epidemic
  • The Cost of Betrayal
  • The Art of Map Illustration: A step-by-step artistic exploration of contemporary cartography and mapmaking
  • This Side of Zero
Ivan Obolensky grew up regaled by tales of his ancestors while surrounded by high society. Those stories of intrigue and adventure inspired him and nurtured his love of storytelling, which he brings to his writing, both fiction and nonfiction.

"Eye of the Moon" is colored by the stories of his youth. It was inspired by two questions: If life has given us gifts, what do we owe for having squandered
“the future always burns brighter than the present when there are difficulties.” 0 likes