Start by marking “Stronger for Language (Mydlands)” as Want to Read:
Stronger for Language (Mydlands)

Stronger for Language

(Mydlands)

Kenzie discovers she has unique skills from hours spent translating what her twin 3-year-olds are saying. She just might save the day when her husband, the starship's captain, gets into a linguistic pickle with a new alien race!

Stronger for Language is part of Mydlands, a Creative Commons sci-fi universe.

This is a short story (approx. 16 minutes average reading time).
Kindle Edition
Published January 23rd 2018

To ask other readers questions about Stronger for Language, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stronger for Language

Maddy
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a really cute short story! The writing is really well done and I absolutely loved the twins. I normally don’t read this genre, but I did enjoy this story. I definitely recommend this to any sci-fi readers out there. :D
Kate Willis
This was such a great short story! It was sci-fi enough to be fascinating (AI's and aliens) but not too much that it would boggle my brain. ;) I LOVED those hilarious little twins, but my favorite part was the value placed on motherhood. That is something rare in fiction but oh, so special. ;)

Altogether, this was a great, short read! Just the right length to read between college classes. ;)
Sarah Grace Grzy
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sarah Grace by: Perry
Okay, this was adorable! Kenzie is such a fun narrator, and Rion and Rigel are the cutest things ever. The interaction between Kenzie and the boys and between Kenzie and her husband were spot on, and the dialogue was so realistic. While short, and therefore not leaving a ton of room for description, there was never a time I was confused. The sci-fi technology was very cool, especially the Neutrabubble.

Also, that cover is pretty awesome too. *heart eyes emoji*

Overall, a fun short, light read! I
Angie Thompson
Cute story! Aliens (within certain limits) are usually the one area where I'll let my sci-fi blur the line with fantasy, and if they existed, I can see this being a very believable linguistic pickle!

I loved the fact that Kenzie's unique contribution to the diplomatic mission came from the skills she had developed as an unranked, unofficial member of the mission--a stay-at-home mom. (Is it still called that when your home is a spaceship?) Society at large tends to degrade homemakers these days, a
Mikayla
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really fun, short read. Being a babysitter, I can totally relate to interpreting kids speech! The main character was very sweet.

Overall, fun quick read. Perfect for Sci-Fi lovers.
R.A.
Well, that was cute ... and interesting! I don't read a lot of sci-fi, but since I won a giveaway for this book, I read it!

I did like it, I just wasn't that interested in the alien part of things!! The way they talked was funny - haha! ;)

I absolutely loved the twins!! <3 So sweet! It's so true about the way little one's talk though!!

Anyway, I liked it. Since I have an actual copy of it, I'd read it again, but it wasn't my favourite. I really like the tiny paperback copy of won though! SO ado
Olivia
I'm definitely not a Sci-fi reader, but surprisingly I enjoyed this. The aliens had me like "But there's no aliens" which shows how hard it is for me to enjoy fantasy worlds XD Still, I thought the story was really cute and loved seeing the mothering aspect in the story :)
Victoria Lynn
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A cute, interesting story set in space. Never thought someone would write this kind of a story set in sci-fi, but it worked and was super fun!
Allison Tebo
2 1/2 stars.

There’s plenty of Star Wars and Star Trek type stories and hero types in science fiction – but the idea of a gentle fiction in space? What a stupendous idea and one I’ve always been interested in. Seeing a mother living out an average day aboard a star-ship was definitely an intriguing scenario.

The world building was good – I really liked the alien culture (particularly the attention to speech pattern—something that is often overlooked in world building) and the descriptions of the
Allyson
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a cute and creative short story! I loved the Voald!
Yahuhanan (יהוחנן) Yukia (雪亮)
Hilariously refreshing

Now that was hilarious and refreshing! I enjoyed reading this scifi short story because of the very casual, normal approach. I also love how this isn't your typical "professional" and "serious" type of scifi.

Perry's approach here is out-of-the-box as far as space scifi is concerned. A toddler-language translator, crazy little twins, "Mother-of-the-Future" reverence, and an alien with humour on a not-so-typical First Contact encounter.

We've been so serious and professional w
Libby May
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
That was a cute story. I'd enjoy reading more of it if there was a full book. AI is one of the few things that scares me, but for some reason I sort of like to read about them...

Sometimes...

In the mornings when I'm not going to bed anytime soon.
Faith
Title: Stronger for Language
Written By: Perry Elisabeth Kirkpatrick
Genre: Science Fiction/Short Story
Recommended Ages: Any

This is a new take on language translations. I love how Perry brought in toddler speak and combined it with alien language skills. She did a great job developing the characters in this short story. This was a perfect short story for a quick read.

I received a free copy with no compunction for a review, good or bad.
Ivie
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Since this is a short story, I'll keep my review brief. Nothing was wrong with this story. It was clean and well thought out. Sci-fi isn't my favorite, so that's why I have it three stars. If you like sci-fi, you'd probably like this.
Ginnie
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
little story with a cute theme.
Gabriellyn
Feb 05, 2019
Gracelyn Buckner
May 03, 2018
Perry
Nov 20, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Paul Willis
is currently reading it
Mar 19, 2018
Hannah Rodriguez
Apr 19, 2018
Perry Elisabeth Kirkpatrick lives in an undisclosed location outside of Phoenix where she and her husband chase their four little boys and an escape-artist dog. They don't chase their cats, however, because cats hate that. She is the author of "The Kitten Files" mysteries, "The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott" spy series, and multiple short stories.

In addition to her writing, Perry enjoys graphi

Mydlands (3 books)
  • Pioneer Horizon (Mydlands)
  • Aurora (Mydlands)