Start by marking “The Art Contest” as Want to Read:
The Art Contest

The Art Contest

Two days ago, the Nazis rolled into Marie’s hometown. With her mother trapped in the countryside and her father ordered to perform piano concerts for the invaders, the 12-year-old’s life is turned upside down.

When she learns there is more to her pianist father than meets the eye, Marie must work with him to sneak important information past the watching Nazis.

This is short
Published November 17th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Art Contest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art Contest

Victoria Lynn
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories, ww2
A sweet, adorable, story that draws you in and leaves you wishing it was a whole novel. :D

Kate Willis
I enjoyed reading this story aloud to my younger sisters. I always love it when historical fiction is vague enough on details to be safe for children but does such a beautiful job of making me feel like I was there through the everyday events and emotions it focuses on. Father/daughter stories are always super sweet too, and I loved the little touch that Marie wanted to help her father like her mother always did. <3 Another thing that made me extra happy was all the art! *grins* Marie liked t ...more
Angie Thompson
What a creative idea--both the story and the idea within the story! I have no idea whether anything like this was really done in WWII, but it's not a stretch to imagine that it could have been. Great concept and very well-executed!
Rebekah Morris
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, easy to read short story about faith, and the desire to help do right even if it means danger. This author is a delight to read and this story, though it was short and I wanted more, was a delight to read.
Olivia
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Anything WW2 gives me chills. A simple story of a girl helping her father in the Resistance, but it touches the heart of the struggles of war life during those years. I liked the message, and once more, a quick read :)
Maddy
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this short story! It was about a young girl who helped free France through an "art contest."
The whole setting of the story was great, and I loved little Marie. I'll be reading this to my younger sisters!

"I received a free ARC of this book from the author. I was not obligated to post a positive review. All thoughts are my own."
S.G. Willoughby
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was fun. :) The MC was so sweet, and the ending satisfying. Usually, WW2 historical fiction is much more intense. (I mean... it IS WW2 after all ;) )
J'nell Ciesielski
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A charming story of a little girl doing her part to help defeat the Nazis through the magic of song and art. Told with innocence and the surprising strength of a child, I was delighted for her to find a unique way to help the war effort. Short, sweet, and encouraging!
E.F.B.
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a very sweet and well written historical short story. I always appreciate themes about God being bigger than our problems, no matter how big our problems may seem. Very touching. <3
L.S.
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When seen through the eyes of a child, the war meant three things: praying for the soldiers, worrying about her cousins and grandparents, and an unfortunate lack of chocolate.
Until her Mama is prevented from returning home due to the Nazi invasion of her homeland.
Seeing her father's distress, she tries to fill her mother's shoes by listening to his worries.
What she dd not expect was to play a significant part in helping pass on vital information to their allies.
This is a thought-provoking st
Bethany
What a delightful little story! Being a WW1 and WW2 fanatic, I was really excited at the chance to read this book. I was not disappointed. Even though it's such a short, easy-to-read story, mainly for children, the characters were realistic and well-developed, the plot rather unusual for this type of book, and very gripping! Without wanting to give away any spoilers, let me just say that the art contest idea was brilliant! I only wish it had been longer! Highly recommended.

I received a free ARC
Steve
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Art Contest is a delightful little story about a French girl who gets a chance to do a little thing to help the French resistance. Told from the girls perspective it is intriguing and imaginative. My only complaint is that there was not more of it.
R.A.
Wow, I loved the twist!!! I really enjoyed this short story - I'm so glad I got to read it! I kind of wished I could see Marie's sketch in real life, but I can imagine it! I'm sure it was wonderful though! Absolutely loved the story!

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
Nadine Keels
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Nazi army has swarmed into France. Twelve-year-old Marie isn't aware at first of her pianist father's real role in the war, but now she must help him sneak intelligence past their country's invaders in The Art Contest by author Perry Elisabeth Kirkpatrick.

I appreciate stories that illustrate how sharp-witted and courageous humanity can be in dangerous times, and I really enjoyed this. It's a quick (but not rushed) read that conveys the gravity of a wartime situation but isn't super dark. And
Jolyn
Sweet story of a 12 year old girl and her father during WW2

12 year old Marie starts out thinking the war meant: praying for soldiers, worrying about her cousins and grandparents and the unfortunate lack of chocolate. But she learns a surprising secret and has to decide if she will take a more significant role in the war effort.

Marie's strong faith in God is woven into her life and therefore is an integral part of the story.

Sex - no romance at all
Language - no swearing or profanity
Violence - none
Paul Willis
Aug 02, 2018
Chloe (aka Crystal)
Sep 16, 2017
Lamar
Dec 23, 2017
Perry
Jul 28, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Gabriellyn
Zielle
Sep 22, 2017
Els
Sep 22, 2017
Perry Elisabeth Kirkpatrick lives in an undisclosed location outside of Phoenix where she and her husband chase their four little boys and an escape-artist dog. They don't chase their cats, however, because cats hate that. She is the author of "The Kitten Files" mysteries, "The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott" spy series, and multiple short stories.

In addition to her writing, Perry enjoys graphi