Start by marking “King Billy and the Royal Road” as Want to Read:
King Billy and the Royal Road

King Billy and the Royal Road

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  9 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Billy lives like a prince with his mum, eating all the feasts and treats a boy could want. He doesn’t know much about people and places because she never lets him out.

One day, he wakes up peckish and sneaks off for a snack. But what begins as a trip to town becomes a search for a new friend and the start of a magical journey…
Published November 17th 2017 by SilverWood Books

To ask other readers questions about King Billy and the Royal Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Billy and the Royal Road

Jane
King Billy and the Royal Road is a whimsical tale told in verse about a boy who goes off on a bit of a magical adventure.

I admire the skill it takes for an author to compose a story written in rhyme. R.C. Ajuonuma has done a good job here; there were a few times the rhythm felt a bit off to me, but overall, the stanzas were well done.

Unfortunately, this is the type of story that deals in the nonsensical, and I don't tend to enjoy those stories. I prefer to read plots that are a bit better define
Bonnie
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing

“King Billy and the Royal Road” is a lovely children’s book, based on the Major Arcana of the Tarot (which are often referred to as the Royal Road). It is written in short paragraphs, akin to poetry, and shows a fluid series of thoughts for a young boy called Billy.

The format of the story is very much fairy tale/adventure, with Billy waking up to an empty refrigerator. No food! He tries to wake his mother, but is unable to, so he makes the decision to grab a sack, and a stick, and begin his jou
Caitlin Gemmell
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wonder what the great mythologist Joseph Campbell would think of this book? I found it charming and considered it appropriate for children upon first glance. Although I wouldn’t think twice about reading this to my son, I do see that it contains many adult themes. In short, it is a retelling of the hero’s journey. It should be told by a minstrel or professional storyteller around a bonfire, under the stars. There are so many symbols and mythic threads woven throughout this beautiful, dark, lyr ...more
Susan
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Billy wakes up one morning hungry. He goes to his mom’s bed and tries to wake her up but she doesn’t. Billy decides to go the store to get food. He starts out on his journey that turns out to be quite an adventure.

The book is written in verse. The illustrations are in black and white. It reminds me of a Dr. Seuss book with its rhyming and silliness. It’s a cute picture book for children ages 5 to 8 yeats old.

Disclaimer: I received an arc of this book free from the author/publisher from Netgalle
Debra
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway
I entered this sweepstake with the intent to send the book to my great niece who loves to read. She loved getting a package in the mail and even more excited that it was a book. She enjoyed King Billy and the Royal Road tremendously and wants to know if there is another one after this. She will be waiting by the mailbox.
Christie
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great for my students! :)
Jossie Marie Solheim
This is a great little book, written in a fun format that kids will really enjoy.
Claire Lyons