Start by marking “Rebellion (Rebellion, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rebellion (Rebellion, #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

Rebellion

(Rebellion #1)

Auria was the last nation in Europe to be occupied by the Global Defence Organisation, the same organisation that promised to bring peace when riots spread rapidly across the continent. Now governing all of Old Europe, the GDO’s control over Auria begins to increase and their tactics to dominate the population become more violent; 17-year-old Cassia Fortis decides that she ...more
Published (first published February 9th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Rebellion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rebellion

Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
↠ 4 stars

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

First of all, I’d just like to say that I’m hosting a giveaway for this book on my Instagram page! It’s international and you should really go check it out. Additionally, on a purely superficial level, the cover of this book feels really good. So you should definitely go buy it/enter to win a copy, solely to feel the cover. Trust me on this guys. (You know I have good taste.)

But anyway, I digress. Onto the actual rev
Christine Spoors
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
I absolutely loved this book! It has been a long time since I read a dystopian and so I really enjoyed reading one. It was great to read a dystopian that was set in Europe and not in the US for a change!

I really enjoyed the way Rebellion was written. Each chapter follows a week in the main character Cassia's life and is written in first person. It feels almost as if we are reading her diary which makes her a very likeable character and you can't help but share her emotions. Whilst this book is a
Michaela
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Another dystopian book you take in your hand and won't be able to put it down! Cassia is lovable girl you'll fall in love with from the first page. Her courage and devotion are addictive and every reader wants to be her friend. I admire her reticence to harm, despite everything. Because if I were in her place, I'd have been guided by a different thought.
The book has a rapidly evolving storyline and I haven't found a single passage that would slow the pace. The main plot is very thoughtful and ma
Josephine Boyce
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: favorites
As I wrote it it's only fair that I give Rebellion a fighting chance with a 5* review.
Gemma McGee
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I meet Josephine Boyce at last years YALC and pick up both books in the Rebellion series, as I prepare for the year YALC I thought it would be prefect time to read Rebellion.The Global Defence Organisation, was created to stop the riots and violence that was plaguing Europe. GDO was supposed to bring peace, but they have used that excuse to govern europe. Auria is the last country to be occupied by the GDO, they use violence  and terror to keep control.17-year-old Cassia Fortis life has been tur ...more
Imi (Imi Reviews Books)
Not my typical read but I loved it.

I bought Rebellion at YALC yesterday after meeting the author, Josephine Boyce who was absolutely lovely and extremely passionate about her novel. I started reading immediately and apart from sleeping I guess I didn't really stop until I finished.

Rebellion is first person present which to be frank is my least favourite tense to read or write in, however for once I wasn't immediately turned off to this. I kept going when usually I might struggle to push through
Kathryn Fletcher
It feels like it's been a while since I've read a dystopian - teenager saving the day, and all. There was a time when they all seemed to follow the same pattern but I wouldn't say Rebellion does.

For starters, it's set out interestingly. Each chapter covers a week of Cassia's life (17 weeks overall), which, while it may sometimes feel rushed or like more things could have been explained in detail, it feels more realistic. Because, let's be "real", how many rebellions really go down in the space
Sumaiyya
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick review: Fans of dystopian fiction will LOVE this book.

I enjoyed reading Rebellion a lot. The central character, Cassie, was quite bold and brave which is something I really liked. I think female protagonists are often a bit annoying due to their indecisiveness and self-doubt, but Cassie always knew what she had to do - even if that choice was difficult. I liked how Cassie is stronger than the male counterparts in the story as well. She has a great character development.
Although the story
Emma Jaye
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent YA Dytopian tale about a seventeen year old girl who takes on the might of the organisation that has taken over the planet (GDO).
A certain amount of suspension of disbelieve is needed as the naive girl, with the help of a childhood friend, (love interest) infiltrates the GDO to rescue her imprisoned father. The action moves along at a fast pace, despite the reticence of the heroine to harm anyone (despite the fact the GDO kill pretty much indiscriminately).
Its a little predictable with
Ian
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Writing a review now because I forgot back in January.

I don't normally read first present so I was a little apprehensive going into this, but my worries were soon set aside by the fantastic writing ability and story, I cannot wait to pick up Resistance at YALC 2017. I need to know what happens next, Rebellion left me wanting more. I'm a sucker for a good book. The Rebellion series is making its way into being one of my favourites.
Brittany Smith
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The world we know today no longer exits and the last remaining free country, Auria, has fallen. The GDO has taken over and rules with an iron fist. Cassia starts out a good girl, but then realizes things aren’t as they should be and decides to take action. With help from others, including her friend Luca she sets out to change things for the better before it is too late.

Josephine Boyce, the author, has really created a gem with this book. The attention to detail is incredible and she is able to
Kaitlin Throgmorton
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
Overall, I really enjoyed Rebellion. Heavy, believable conflict fuels a fast-paced survival story of strong, but untested protagonists. It's the kind of story that feels like it could actually happen to you, and that makes it a page-turner. I found myself racing to the end, desperate to know what happens to my favorite characters.

What I liked:
1) The characters. Cassia, along with her family and friends, pulled me into her story almost immediately. She starts off unassuming, but becomes bolder
Damian Knight
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian, ya
‘Rebellion’ takes place in a dystopian Europe under the rule of the Global Defence Organisation, an oppressive regime that has seized control of the continent in the aftermath of a war. The story starts when teenager Cassia Fortis visits her mother in hospital. Looking for a way to acquire the cancer drugs her mother so desperately needs, she intentionally stays out after curfew and is sent to a GDO work camp, where she sneaks out at night and breaks into the hospital of a neighbouring town to s ...more
Joe Turk
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story takes place in a dystopia where a single government, the Global Defense Organization rules the land with an iron fist. Our protagonist, seventeen year old Cassia risks her freedom and possibly her life when she breaks the rules to get medicine that will save her ill mother. This first ‘mission’ sets her on a course of resistance that gets more daring and dangerous as the story progresses.

A great deal of care and thought was put into the motivations of the characters in this action-ori
Carly [A Beauty & Her Books]
Review:

Thank you so much to the author herself for sending me a signed copy of her novel in exchange for my honest review.

First off, let’s look at how amazingly gorgeous this cover is. I mean, the bold red complimented with a roaring lion! It is the picture definition of strength and courage, which is the perfect compliment to the story that is inside.

Kate Sawyer
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really great to have a clever, active young woman at the centre of a story that will be read by clever active young women.
Although we, thankfully, don't like in the world controlled by the GDO, sometimes it feels as though absolute corporate power isn't that far away. I like the parallels of reality in this-hopefully an awakening to politics for readers too.
The love story is really compelling as is the action. A perfect combination of head and heart! Looking forward to the second instalment!
Cosette
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Impossible to put down, I took it with me everywhere I went for the day and read it non-stop.
I'm a big fan of dystopian novels and loved the style, the rhythm, the characters, it made me feel part of their squad. The last 20 pages were insanely intense.
I've just finished so I'm still hung up on it and can't think straight, all I know is that I need the next one asap.
Eman
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rita
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haven't read a dystopina book for a while and never thought I'd miss it as much. The book is so thrilling and fast paced. The characters are relatable, you can see their struggles as if they might be yours and at the same time you see this brave girl fighting to save her family but you see her being selfish and selfless, a perfect flawed person. I am in love with this book. Don't wanna go into more details cause that might bring spoilers but there were some pretty devastating moments here.
Fay
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Some good stuff in here. Loved the characters and the set up. Really interesting to see the development of the story line and the relationships built. Should be interesting to see what happens in the next book.
Avi
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rebellion was an incredibly fast paced book, so I literally flew through the pages. It started at a point were the action was about to start, so I didn't have to wait long till our main character actually started her rebellion. At first I didn't quite understand what was going on, because it was a fast paced book but it was so because of the lack of descriptions and details. It could go from Cassia waking up to her walking down the street within two lines and not have anything else described, li ...more
Lauren
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, Rebellion was a great read, I really enjoyed it. 4.5 stars!!

I loved that we are finally given a female character who has to LEARN self-defence and how to fight, but more importantly, her talent is in coding and computers! So often we're told that girls can't do those things and don't have those kinds of skills but Rebellion works to subvert that "view".

I thought that Cass was a really over-ambitious character, but in the best way possible. The goals she was seen to strive for were rea
L.N. Denison
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rebellion pulled me in from the very first page. It has everything I require from a good book: A good, solid plot, some great dialogue and of course, a headstrong, tough heroine.

The story centres around a 17 year old girl, Cassia Fortis and her friend, Luca Kemei, who gets drawn into her plot to break her father out of prison in the nearby town of Camberg. In order to do this, they have to join the GDO army to get closer to the prison in which he is housed.

From there, the story develops into a m
Chrys Cymri
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well constructed and written dystopian book.

Europe has been conquered by a military organisation called the Global Defence Organisation. Our main character, Cassia, decides to enter the military in order to help her mother, who needs life saving drugs, and to break her father out of prison.

There are many things to like about this novel. The characters are well drawn, and the romance develops naturally. Cassia isn’t some super hero planning to take on the state, merely a young woman who simply
L.N. Denison
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding YA Dystopia!

Rebellion pulled me in from the very first page. It has everything I require from a book: A good plot, a headstrong heroine, and some great dialogue.

The story centres around a 17 year old girl, Cassia Fortis and her friend, Luca Kemei, who gets drawn into her plan of breaking her father out of prison. In order to do this, they have to join the GDO army in order to get closer to the prison in which her father is being held.

From there, the story develops into a mixture of
Jules Brown
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed Rebellion, lots of fast paced action with a good story and main characters. It's a strong contender in the dystopian genre and I'm looking forward to the next installment...!
Thora
Lexy
Jun 30, 2017

• Just One Week
  • Strangers
  • De stem van de zee (Eiland in de mist, #1)
  • Untitled (Mirage, #3)
  • Alacrity (Illumine, #4)
  • NOCTURN: Book 1 (Nocturn, #1)
  • Tales of Girls and Gadgets  (Brave New Girls, #1)
  • Lost on Mars
  • Elements (The Biodome Chronicles #2)
  • Babyteeth, Vol. 1: Born
  • The Jewel of Kamara
  • Lambs Can Always Become Lions (Until Lambs Become Lions, #1)
  • The Gilded King (Sovereign, #1)
  • Welcome Back, Vol. 1: Help, I'm Alive
  • After Hours, Vol. 1 (After Hours, #1)
  • Britannia, Vol. 1
  • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
  • The Bone Roses (Snow Spark Saga #1)
Josephine Boyce was born in Kuwait to a diplomat father and artist mother. She spent most of her childhood in the Middle East and one day plans to incorporate her memories of the desert into her writing.

You can follow her on Twitter: https://twitter.com/jboycewrites

Or Instagram:

Rebellion (2 books)
  • Resistance (Rebellion, #2)