Start by marking “Light Mage (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Light Mage (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1.5)

Light Mage

(The Black Witch Chronicles #1.5)

Journey to the magical world of Erthia in this exciting prequel to The Black Witch by critically acclaimed author Laurie Forest.

Before Elloren Gardner came to possess the Wand of Myth, the Wand was drawn to another bearer: Sagellyn Gaffney.

Sage’s affinity for light magery, a rare skill among Gardnerians, makes her the perfect protector for the one tool that can combat the
Published August 1st 2018 by Harlequin Teen

Start your review of Light Mage (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1.5)
Laurie
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is a personal one - and I'm looking forward to sharing it with you. It's Sage Gaffney's story (the young women with the Icaral child who gave Elloren the White Wand in the beginning of The Black Witch). This book loops into Book Two and is best read after The Black Witch and before The Iron Flower. Enjoy! (Light Mage is out July 1, 2018)
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I mean...is anyone really surprised that I finished this book in less than 12 hours on a work day?

Imagine living in a world where society imposes restrictions on women to trap them, accused them of lying about assaults and where ppl don't teach children about contraception...wouldn't that be crazy...? (Read with HEAVY sarcasm)

Loved it! I am really hoping we get Sage Incorporated in the next book! She has to find her beau!
Suzanne
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
t was great to get the backstory to Sagellyn and her baby, and the White Wand (with some on the Shadow Wand). It was briefly touched upon in the novels but this novella gives readers more of it. I liked it and found it to be very interesting. Pretty sure her baby is going to play a huge roll in the coming novel so I think readers of the novels in the series should check this one out before book three comes out in March.

My quick and simple overall: a complete novella that does not feel rushed or
TL
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Buddyread with Melissa :)
Loved Sage, and watching her grow into a confident woman determined to do what needs to be done.

The scenes with her makeshift family warmed my heart too.:)
(view spoiler)

The romance I did end up rooting for but I thought it moved a little too quick at first. I can udnerstand why they were drawn to each other though.

One "secret" and "reveal" weren't overall surprising but still exciting. Ciaran's definitely was a surp
Elora
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ACTUAL RATING: 4.75 Stars ⭐️

I am in awe currently at Laurie Forest’s ability to suck me into her writing yet again. This series will be the death of me (but like in a good way).

Normally I never give novella’s anything above 4 stars (for some reason my brain has a hard time justifying giving something 5 stars when it’s not a full novel... this literally only makes sense to me in my brain I am aware it is a completely ridiculous notion, 🤷🏻‍♀️) Light Mage is the exception to this rule! Although
Shaina
Selene Kallan
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
UPDATE SEPTEMBER 1 2018
Rating: 5 Supernovas
Review

Imagine living in a world where people are segregated based on their race. Where religion has been twisted and turned into a weapon, aimed against other's beliefs. Where fear of the unknown leads to hate and cruelty. Where little girls have no right over their own bodies and are forced into marriage.

Not difficult to do, right?

Sage Gaffney comes from an extremely religious family, even for a Gardnerian. She has been taught that being obedient and
Amanda
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This series continues to be completely addictive. This novella which is really the length of some books gives us Sage’s story which I thought was a missing element in the first book. This also gives more detail on all the other cultures. I’m really glad I read this and am excited to go on to the second book.
Emma
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, magic, fantasy, witches
Good to finally discover Sage’s story. I hope we find out more about she does later in the series, maybe in the Iron Flower.
Mona
I loved this story. The worldbuilding is rich, the characters are well fleshed out, and the stakes are high.
Kathryn Ford
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book introduces us to a lovely colourful array of new characters. It also fills in some gaps. Sage is a very likable character and it is interesting to watch her character development. As far as a love story goes, I preferred Wandfasted….maybe I'm just in love with Vale. xD I can't wait to read the third book in this series. So far this series is the best of the year.
Peggy
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As soon as I finished The Black Witch I devoured Wandfasted. Then I re-read Wandfasted because I just couldn't let it go. (Vale and Tessla's story is at the top of my favorite romances.) Then I re-read Black Witch, then I read Light Mage. And as much as I want to re-read this and BW again I have decided to be strong and give other books a chance. Sigh.

Needless to say, I am obsessed with Laurie Forest's writing. Her world building and character development are perfection. And I love that I'm not
Scott Tuscher
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Marzie
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was harder to read for me. If The Black Witch series has parallels to Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale they are certainly strongest in this book, the story of Elloren Gardner's friend Sagellyn Gaffney. Sage is one of the bearers of the White Wand, having received it from a girl named Gwynnifer, who was lured into stealing it from the mage armory, seemingly by the wand itself. The wand instructs her that it is to be transferred to Sage and eventually she in turn transfers the wand, ...more
Penelope
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written and the story was full of such great surprises. I really liked how the characters developed throughout the book, especially Sage. It was easy to connect with the characters.
Lynette Noni
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great filler novella to offer insight into Sage's story. It took me a little to get into it, but soon enough the new cast of characters came to life and drew me into their story. I so hope they all end up crossing paths and teaming up with Elloren and co. in the next books, because that would be epic.
Attack Salmon
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
If you ask me whats the best book of 2017 I have ever read, I will say look no further than The Black Witch. WHY? Bcuz The Black Witch is everything. It can be downright trashy with all the girl on girl hate and boy drama but at the same time it is also a very deep book. It tackles deep and controversial topics like racism. I don't want to be arrogant to say that white ppl as a majority living in America couldn't and would never understand racism. But there are some things that is hard to grasp ...more
Juliet Valcourt
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
What an incredibly moving story! I read most of the first half in tears. I am so appreciative that Laurie Forest doesn’t shy away from difficult topics that need to be discussed. The misogyny and cruelty that Sage (and her sisters) are subjected to is heartbreaking. The scene at the river affected me deeply - it was so well written and emotional. Sage begins as a victim, but she ends as an empowered mage who has found her true purpose in life.

And the new characters are simply delightful! Ra’Ven
Paula
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Sage story is one of strength, courage, and love. There is also deceit, hate, and pure evil that this Young lady has to overcome.
Sage has an attraction to light magic like no one has seen. This is the reason the watchers have chosen her to protect the light wand.
Light Mage gives you some more background to this beautifully written story that makes it an incredible read.
Laurie Forest has beautifully woven a tale that brings real life issues into a fantasy world. I believe will be read for year
CrimsonRoseReads
Sagellyn Gaffney’s Fascinating Story!!

Holy Ancient One!! I thoroughly enjoyed Sagellyn’s story filled with terrifying moments, plot twists, romance, and that wonderful thing that happens when an oppressed female character finds her strength and worth! I anxiously wait to see how Sagellyn’s story interweaves with Elloren’s in the coming books in this riveting series!!
Abby Pechin
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I stayed up all night to finish reading this book! I love this series and I think this was a perfect little tease before the next volume, plus I learned a lot about the snake elves, which is something I was really craving. Also, the sex scenes were amazing!
Jeanette Johnson
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Of course, I loved this book. How could I not when I adored the rest of the stories in this series. Thank you for providing the novellas. I especially enjoy learning back stories or additional information that tie into the main novels. I think Sagellyn's story is important and I'm glad we were able to experience her actual journey. Knowing her perspective of events was illuminating.
Brandon
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favorite book ever

This book is a life changer it’s amazing all the books that come together in these series are perfect I can never stop reading them once I start ! I wish I had a wand and a tune blade !
Hannah Michaels
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really, REALLY loved this deeper look at Sage. In The Black Witch we see so little of her. She’s an enigma. But in this, you really understand what she goes through and how Elloren’s journey begins. I can’t wait to see how she comes back and how her work helps the Resistance later on!
Corey Charles
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Laurie Forest has done it again. Every installment of this series sucks me further and further into this incredible world she has created. She is truly a master storyteller.
Jessie James Mishell
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this series so much...I wasn't sure I'd enjoy Sage's story like I did. Can't wait to find out more about her and everyone else in this awesome novella.
Jessica
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really like every book I have read in this series.
Pat
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm really enjoying this series. Its just nice to read something magical that doesn't pertain to reality. Reality has gotten a bit too overwhelming.
Shannara Johnson
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Laurie Forest does "swoony" YA exceedingly well. The love story between Sage and Ra'Ven is very well done, and the protagonist's escape from her misogynist, racist environment is even more heightened than in the other two books because she comes from a very strict and Puritan religious sub-segment. I just love the world building in this series. Can't wait to read the next book, "The Iron Flower."
Chad Quintero-Saunders
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoyed this book. It’s an excellent companion novel to The Black Witch. It really should be book 0.75 as a majority of the events take place in the Black Witch. I hope we get to learn more about the fate of all of these characters in future books. This story really helps to flesh out the world and characters we first meet in The Black Witch.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Lady Smoke (Ash Princess Trilogy, #2)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • The Shadowglass (The Bone Witch, #3)
  • The Lost Sisters (The Folk of the Air, #1.5)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Ember Queen (Ash Princess Trilogy, #3)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Aurora Burning (The Aurora Cycle, #2)
  • From Blood and Ash (Blood And Ash, #1)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • Rise (Rule, #2)
  • Ash Princess (Ash Princess Trilogy, #1)
  • Onyx and Ivory (Rime Chronicles, #1)
Laurie Forest lives deep in the backwoods of Vermont where she sits in front of a wood stove drinking strong tea and dreaming up tales full of dryads, dragons and wands. She is the author of THE BLACK WITCH (LA BRUJA NEGRA/DIE SCHWARZE ZAUBERIN), WANDFASTED, LIGHT MAGE, THE IRON FLOWER & THE REBEL MAGES (which is the book form of Wandfasted & Light Mage together in one volume). She is busily worki ...more

The Black Witch Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • The Iron Flower (The Black Witch Chronicles, #2)
  • The Shadow Wand (The Black Witch Chronicles, #3)
  • The Demon Tide (The Black Witch Chronicles, #4)
  • Battle for Erthia (The Black Witch Chronicles, #5)