Start by marking “Here and Now and Then” as Want to Read:
Here and Now and Then

Here and Now and Then

To save his daughter, he'll go anywhere—and any-when…

Kin Stewart is an everyday family man: working in I.T., trying to keep the spark in his marriage, struggling to connect with his teenage daughter, Miranda. But his current life is a far cry from his previous career…as a time-traveling secret agent from 2142.

Stranded in suburban San Francisco since the 1990s after a botch
Expected publication: January 29th 2019 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about Here and Now and Then, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here and Now and Then

Larry H
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, rounded up.

I know I'm not the only one who finds novels about time travel utterly irresistible. It's not the science of time travel that fascinates me, although I'm always drawn in by the possible paradox of running into yourself somewhere in time. For me, it's more the thought that one single action, even the smallest gesture, can set off a chain of events that could change the world as we (or the characters) know it.

In Mike Chen's new novel, Here and Now and Then , Kin (short for Q
K.A. Doore
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads, favorites
This book. THIS book. THIS BOOK.

Here and Now and Then is a perfect little sci-fi gem, with just a touch of literary. When time traveler Kin gets stuck in the 20th century, he does what any reasonable person would do: fall in love and start a family. This turns out to be a perfectly good plan - until suddenly the rescue team shows up, almost two decades too late. Now Kin is back in the 22nd century, where for everyone else it's only been a week, but for him it's been an entire life. He really tri
Katherine Riley
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Here and Now and Then is a superbly plotted technological twister about a husband and father forced into an impossible choice. The science is precise and clever, and Chen deftly serves up each unexpected turn, in the process constructing his own impossible — two poignant and disparate lives simultaneously experienced by one person. As a writer I read with admiration, and as a mother I sometimes needed a handkerchief.
Crystal Brown
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, arcs, fiction
Y'all, I have a special place in my heart for time travel and I love reading about future tech. It's the reason I love Black Mirror so much--seeing possibilities.

I don't read nearly enough speculative fiction and Here and Now and Then has given me the nudge I needed.

One of the things that made this book so enjoyable for me is that there is plenty of technology involved, but we don't get bogged down in specs and the kind of extraneous detail that sometimes makes my eyes glaze over.

I think it work
Wendy Heard
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful, literary, genre-bending sci fi novel about a time traveler and his love for his daughter hits shelves in 2019 and I cannot WAIT for the rest of the world to read it.
Nicki Markus
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Here and Now and Then was a perfect mix of family drama and sci-fi adventure. Kin and his predicament caught my interest from the first chapter and held it throughout. The time travel elements were well thought out and blended seamlessly into the tale. I was never left questioning the viability of anything that took place. Kin was an engaging character--as a reader, I desperately wanted him to succeed--and overall this book was a real page-turner that was hard to put down at the end of each read ...more
Carrie
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Here and Now and Then by Mike Chen is a science fiction fantasy novel. This particular time travel adventure takes a look at what happens if things in the past are changed by the time travelers.

Kin is from the year 2142 when time travel becomes common and is an agent for the Temporal Correction Bureau (TCB). The agents of the TCB are tasked with going back and protecting the past from corruption as any little change can change their future that is yet to come.

However, Kin gets sent on an assignm
Joy Clark
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, netgalley-arc, scifi, aoc
This is why I love NetGalley. I pick up a book that I normally wouldn't look twice at and end up finding a gem. This is a quick, original read that says a lot about the love of a parent for his/her child. It's much more than a typical scifi with layer upon layer of goodness and depths of feeling that many of this genre fail to reach. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the movie adaptation (cause I don't see how someone won't buy the rights to this one). Oh, and I forgot to add that an ...more
Barb
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*NetGalley ARC
Kin Stewart experiences every time traveler’s worst fear; he becomes trapped in a time that is not his own. In 2142, Kin’s job is to travel back in time to thwart time-corrupting crimnals who try to alter the course of history. Tragically, on his 28th assignment, something goes terribly wrong, and he his unable to jump from 1996 back to his real life in 2142. With no choice but to adapt and assimilate into the 20th-21st century, Kin builds a new life, marries, and becomes a father
Veronica
Love, love, love this book.
Candace Worrell
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: time-travel
This was the time travel book I didn’t know I was waiting for. All anyone wants is for their kids to be ok, even if it destroys the world for everyone else. When innocuous advice like “follow your heart” upends the future and attempts to rectify it...I can’t go on without giving too much away. This book was one of my tops this year.
Sierra
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully done story about the lengths a parent will go to for his child. Well done time travel and fast pace! Loved it.
Michelle
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to HARLEQUIN - MIRA (U.S. and Canada) and Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this book in exchange for an honest review.

*Please note there are some slightly spoilerish thoughts below.*

Kin Stewart is a secret agent from the year 2142 who time travels to catch criminals and due to a mishap - ends up stuck in the 1990s for 18 years. Despite his training where he is supposed to lead a solitary life, discard of any technology or trace that he is from the future and refrain fr
Sharen Popoff
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Harlequin-Mira (U.S. and Canada) for allowing me to read an early copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is a story about family, what we are willing to do for love, what a parent is willing to do for their child AND it is a story about time travel!

Kin is a man suddenly returned to his life in the future after years of being stuck in the past. His emotional struggle is compounded by the realisation that his daughter's life follows a tragic path following his depar
Ari
The synopsis sums up everything, and that can be both good and bad. There was no room for surprise, not much emotion either. But the overall story was entertaining and I liked the ending.

Review soon.

This one sounds AMAZING !
I also love the cover (which is not featured here yet, but it looks really great)
Grabby hands! Gimme gimme!!
Krista
Rating: 4 well-traveled stars

This is a wonderful, thought provoking foray into the world of time travel. I suppose this book would be classified as a Sci-Fi, or a Fantasy. However you classify it, it was an enjoyable, and wild ride. We meet Kin Stewart and his family; wife, Ashley and daughter, Miranda in the early 2,000’s. Kin is currently fighting excruciating headaches that he can’t explain; or at least he can’t explain them to his family. He has a suspicion as to what is causing them.

Kin is
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
You can find the full review and all the fancy and/or randomness that accompanies it at It Starts at Midnight <

This book captivated me from start to finish. Literally, from page one, I was hooked. And so I want to gush and shove this book at you and scream "read the thing!" but I guess I will settle for telling you why I adored it, yeah? Great!

•Seriously, holy feels! I had tears streaming down my face for idk, at least 90% of this thing? And not because it's horribly sad or anything! But be
Melinda Elizabeth
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Harlequin-Mira (U.S. and Canada) and Netgalley for allowing me to read an early copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Kin is from the future. He's a corruption officer, sent to fix timeline inconsistencies and keep everything on the straight and narrow. No changes to major historical events mind you, but just enough to keep thinks ticking as they should.

When his method of returning to 2142 breaks in a botched assassination, Kin has no options left but to get on with l
Vicky Who Reads
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: drcs

brb crying
Jo Ladzinski
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, friends
Read an ARC provided by the author

If you like time travel and strong family ties, make sure this book is on your radar for January 2019. In Here and Now and Then Kin Stewart is a time traveler who's forgotten the future. Living in the 2000s with a wife and teenage daughter, his past catches up to him and he wants to find a way to stay connected to that life while also building a future in 2142.

I really loved Kin as a narrator. Such a Dad, but also in very morally grey straits. And there are so m
Renee (itsbooktalk.com)
Unfortunately this is a DNF for me at 25%. I really thought I'd love this book, I love time travel and the idea of a security agent (think FBI) getting stuck in the 1990s when he comes from 2142. Kin had a family in the 1990s and suddenly finds that he has to leave and go back to 2142. What caused me to want to put this down was the amount of technical scientific detail and the lack of building a connection to the people and setting in 1990s. I found myself feeling bogged down in the scientific ...more
Angie Kim
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge time-travel fan, so I was really excited to read this, and suffice it to say that Mike Chen's novel met my expectations and then exceeded them by a thousand!!!! It's like TNG's The Inner Light and The Yesterday's Enterprise combined, which is just about the highest compliment I can pay. (And if you don't know what that means, I don't even know what to say to you, except that I feel really really sad for you and you should go watch TNG. Right. Now.). It's time travel and all the logic ...more
Cari
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kin Stewart is a time-traveling secret agent. Or at least he was until he ended up stranded in the 90s. With no way to get back to his home base in the 22nd century, he sets himself up with a new life in the past. He marries Heather, and they have a daughter, Miranda. But the TCB (Temporal Corruption Bureau) finds him - it's been two weeks in their time, but eighteen years for Kin. He doesn't want to go back, but he has no choice. When he returns, so do his memories, and his love of his fiancee, ...more
Kim
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun timey-wimey sci-fi adventure. Bit of family drama, but of parenting drama, lots of sci fi pop culture references.

Not without faults but all in all a good read.
Felicia Grossman
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This sounds incredible and unique and I'm so, so, so, so excited to read it!
Aristotle
"There is a huge difference between running a kitchen and traveling through time" -Penny

You think?!
The understatement of the millennium!

Ripples in the space time continuum.
Science fiction meets a harlequin romance novel

After spending 18 years in the past Kin, a time police agent bounty hunter person, is reunited with his life in 2142 where he’s only been gone a couple weeks.
Will Kin be able to leave the memories of his wife and daughter in the past?

Not a bad book. An easy two day read. No time
Susie Wang
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: standalone, sci-fi
[Update: 2019/01/09]
Well, I finally finished this one! (Let's just forget about my failed attempt at finishing the challenge last year, okay?)

I read the beginning of this book approximately three times. And let me tell you, the unedited draft has a completely different beginning to the finished draft. (I personally liked the former better, but what do I know?)

I feel the same as a lot of the reviewers here on goodreads. This is a fine book, the story is okay, and it's an entertaining read. This i
Nadine
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it

Here and Now and Then is a time travel story about a father willing to do anything for his daughter.

I’m usually not a fan of time travel stories since the rules usually get muddied to make the plot work. Here and Now and Then is a great use of time travel with clear and precise rules that are easy to follow and are restrictive enough to not hinder the plot. Chen’s explanation of the science behind time travel and its creation is clever and believable.

Unfortunately, the pacing is slow an
Marie
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kin is a secret agent, a time traveling agent who gets stranded in the 1990's. He is from 2142. He decides to go on with his life, marrying and having a child. The Temporal Corruption Bureau finds him and wants him to go back, but he has a family now. If he runs, he becomes a fugitive like the ones he is here to apprehend. It's a story of time travel, but mostly of family. I loved the interaction between the characters but mostly the love. I received this book from Net Galley and Harlequin- Mira ...more
Jennifer (bunnyreads)
I requested this from Netgalley because I love time travel stories and because it was an imprint of Harlequin/Mira and I was confident it was going to be more of a relationship story than a hard-sci-fi story. Which I love both but I was looking for the relationship story this time around.

And that’s exactly what I got with this book.

Kin Stewart ex-time traveler, stranded in the past is rescued and returned to his future, leaving his past family behind.

Kin - I enjoyed Kin. I liked him and I like
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Mike Chen is a lifelong writer, from crafting fan fiction as a child to somehow getting paid for words as an adult. He has contributed to major geek culture websites (The Mary Sue, The Portalist), covered the NHL for mainstream media outlets, and ghostwritten corporate articles appearing in Forbes, Buzzfeed, Enterpreneur, and more. A member of SFWA and the Codex Writers group, Mike calls the San F ...more