Start by marking “Here and Now and Then” as Want to Read:
Here and Now and Then

Here and Now and Then

To save his daughter, he'll go anywhere—and any-when…

Stranded in suburban San Francisco since the 1990s after a b
Published January 29th 2019 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about Here and Now and Then, please sign up.
Tracy There are some instances of adult language and two very nondescript mentions of sex. I'd say if you're comfortable allowing them to watch a PG-13…moreThere are some instances of adult language and two very nondescript mentions of sex. I'd say if you're comfortable allowing them to watch a PG-13 movie, this book may be considered appropriate for them. I listened to this book with my 7-year-old in the car but I am more open about adult language with her when listening to books. (less)

Larry H
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 stars, rounded up.

I know I'm not the only one who finds novels about time travel utterly irresistible. It's not the science of time travel that fascinates me, although I'm always drawn in by the possible paradox of running into yourself somewhere in time. For me, it's more the thought that one single action, even the smallest gesture, can set off a chain of events that could change the world as we (or the characters) know it.

In Mike Chen's new novel, Here and Now and Then , Kin (short for Q
K.A. Doore
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads, favorites
This book. THIS book. THIS BOOK.

Here and Now and Then is a perfect little sci-fi gem, with just a touch of literary. When time traveler Kin gets stuck in the 20th century, he does what any reasonable person would do: fall in love and start a family. This turns out to be a perfectly good plan - until suddenly the rescue team shows up, almost two decades too late. Now Kin is back in the 22nd century, where for everyone else it's only been a week, but for him it's been an entire life. He really tri
Angela M
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoy time travel stories every once in a while and I just accept the moving from one time to another, paying little attention to the details of what gets the character there and back and sometimes back again. The important things for me are the characters and their relationships and how they manage in the different years. So I tried to ignore the technical details put forth here, although some of it, of course was important to how the story plays out. The “technical” details in the story didn ...more
Katherine Riley
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Here and Now and Then is a superbly plotted technological twister about a husband and father forced into an impossible choice. The science is precise and clever, and Chen deftly serves up each unexpected turn, in the process constructing his own impossible — two poignant and disparate lives simultaneously experienced by one person. As a writer I read with admiration, and as a mother I sometimes needed a handkerchief.
Crystal Brown
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, arcs, 2018
Y'all, I have a special place in my heart for time travel and I love reading about future tech. It's the reason I love Black Mirror so much--seeing possibilities.

I don't read nearly enough speculative fiction and Here and Now and Then has given me the nudge I needed.

One of the things that made this book so enjoyable for me is that there is plenty of technology involved, but we don't get bogged down in specs and the kind of extraneous detail that sometimes makes my eyes glaze over.

I think it work
Carrie
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Here and Now and Then by Mike Chen is a science fiction fantasy novel. This particular time travel adventure takes a look at what happens if things in the past are changed by the time travelers.

Kin is from the year 2142 when time travel becomes common and is an agent for the Temporal Correction Bureau (TCB). The agents of the TCB are tasked with going back and protecting the past from corruption as any little change can change their future that is yet to come.

However, Kin gets sent on an assignm
Wendy Heard
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful, literary, genre-bending sci fi novel about a time traveler and his love for his daughter. Kin's mission to reach across time and space to save his beloved daughter is both touching and terrifying. Fans of THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE and DR. WHO will love Mike Chen. I can't wait to see what he writes next!
Nicki Markus
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Here and Now and Then was a perfect mix of family drama and sci-fi adventure. Kin and his predicament caught my interest from the first chapter and held it throughout. The time travel elements were well thought out and blended seamlessly into the tale. I was never left questioning the viability of anything that took place. Kin was an engaging character--as a reader, I desperately wanted him to succeed--and overall this book was a real page-turner that was hard to put down at the end of each read ...more
Joy Clark
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, aoc, netgalley-arc, scifi
This is why I love NetGalley. I pick up a book that I normally wouldn't look twice at and end up finding a gem. This is a quick, original read that says a lot about the love of a parent for his/her child. It's much more than a typical scifi with layer upon layer of goodness and depths of feeling that many of this genre fail to reach. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the movie adaptation (cause I don't see how someone won't buy the rights to this one). Oh, and I forgot to add that an ...more
Barb
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*NetGalley ARC
Kin Stewart experiences every time traveler’s worst fear; he becomes trapped in a time that is not his own. In 2142, Kin’s job is to travel back in time to thwart time-corrupting crimnals who try to alter the course of history. Tragically, on his 28th assignment, something goes terribly wrong, and he his unable to jump from 1996 back to his real life in 2142. With no choice but to adapt and assimilate into the 20th-21st century, Kin builds a new life, marries, and becomes a father
Veronica
Love, love, love this book.
Gary
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Mike Chen’s debut novel Here and Now and Then begins with a man out of time. Kin Stewart is an agent for the TCB (Temporal Corruption Bureau) who gets stuck in the late 1990s when his retrieval beacon gets damaged. It takes two decades for the Bureau to find him, and by then he’s broken their cardinal rule not to mess with the past by marrying his wife Heather and fathering a daughter, Miranda. Corruption to the timeline is negligible, so the TCB allows him to return to his job and agrees to let ...more
Candace Worrell
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: time-travel
This was the time travel book I didn’t know I was waiting for. All anyone wants is for their kids to be ok, even if it destroys the world for everyone else. When innocuous advice like “follow your heart” upends the future and attempts to rectify it...I can’t go on without giving too much away. This book was one of my tops this year.
Sierra
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully done story about the lengths a parent will go to for his child. Well done time travel and fast pace! Loved it.
Sylvie
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, time-travel

Allison Hurd
Dear book, it's mostly me, but it's somewhat you. We didn't work well together. This could be seen as a story of what a father will do (sometimes, when people tell him it's okay) to save his daughter. It could also be the story of how one dude callously ripped apart the lives of three women, sometimes multiple times each, and then said "but it's because I love you," afterwards so, you know, totes a good guy.

CONTENT WARNING: (no actual spoilers, just a list of topics) (view spoiler)
Michelle
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Thank you to HARLEQUIN - MIRA (U.S. and Canada) and Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this book in exchange for an honest review.

*Please note there are some slightly spoilerish thoughts below.*

Kin Stewart is a secret agent from the year 2142 who time travels to catch criminals and due to a mishap - ends up stuck in the 1990s for 18 years. Despite his training where he is supposed to lead a solitary life, discard of any technology or trace that he is from the future and refrain fr
Luupi "The Reading Queen"
Video review: https://youtu.be/YyOsf2xGnzk

Have you ever read those relationships that simply warm your heart and make you want to read about them nonstop?

That's exactly how I felt with Kin and Miranda. Just the sweetest, most heartfelt father and daughter relationship I've ever read. I've actually never read a book before where a father cared so much about his child that he would literally travel through time just to save their life and make sure they live a complete and happy one. Man, I'm almo
Krista
Rating: 4 well-traveled stars

This is a wonderful, thought provoking foray into the world of time travel. I suppose this book would be classified as a Sci-Fi, or a Fantasy. However you classify it, it was an enjoyable, and wild ride. We meet Kin Stewart and his family; wife, Ashley and daughter, Miranda in the early 2,000’s. Kin is currently fighting excruciating headaches that he can’t explain; or at least he can’t explain them to his family. He has a suspicion as to what is causing them.

Kin is
Bam
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
*3.5-4 stars

I have a not-so-secret love for time travel fiction so I've read many. What sets this debut novel apart from others is what happens in the past that ties the traveler to it.

Kin works for a secret time-traveling law enforcement agency in the year 2142 and travels back to 1996 on a mission where he is attacked by the criminal he is trying to stop and his return beacon is destroyed.

As far as Kin knows, he is stuck in the past forever, so eventually he builds a new life--falls in love,
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Kin Stewart is an everyday family man: working in I.T., trying to keep the spark in his marriage, and struggling to connect with his teenage daughter, Miranda. But his current life is a far cry from his previous career as a time-traveling secret agent from 2142. Stranded in suburban San Francisco since the 1990s after a botched mission, Kin has kept his past hidden from everyone around him, despite the increasing blackouts and memory loss affect
Vicky Who Reads
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wishlist, drcs

I know I don’t read a lot of adult science-fiction (too many older white men who complain about things not being ~sciencey~ enough) but Here and Now and Then sounded right up my alley. And you know what? IT WAS TOTALLY WORTH IT.

I loved reading. I loved it so much.

I know Chen shared how he was scared it was too literary for adult science fiction, but it is definitely not too literary in my eyes. It was the perfect amount of literary–the dash of literary that makes it appealing to a mor
Hank
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-club-read
Allow me to steal part of Allison's review....

Dear book, it's mostly you and not at all me. We didn't work well together because I expected much more. This is a story about a dumb ass making a bunch of ridiculous decisions to save his daughter.
I had high hopes for the book which probably explains my extreme disappointment now. The concept was great but every time I thought "ooooh now the story will go here", it didn't go there and instead remained uninspiring. Let's point out a few unbelievabili
Melissa
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This time-traveling story is an emotional one. Kin’s place is not easy... How can you do parenting between 2 eras? That’s what happens when your rescue team doesn’t come before 18 years and you built a life for yourself in the era that you are stuck in... and that you care so much about your kid that you break a couple of rules to make sure that she’ll be okay. I muttered to myself all throughout the book. It’s so good, and all the feels...!!!

I received a copy of this book through NetGalley in e
James
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Stories about time travel seem to only work when they have a lot of heart and leave you in love with the characters. If they get too focused on the mechanics of the travel and lose sight of characters, they can get, well, a little too "wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey." The Time Travelers Wife and 11/22/63 got me in the right way, and Star Trek and Doctor Who (which both get heavy homages in this book) get the balance right.

And along comes Here and Now and Then which carries on their traditio
Lindsay
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Kin is an agent for the Temporal Corruption Bureau (TCB). On a mission from his home time in 2142 he finds himself stranded in 1996 and stuck for 18 years. During that time period he forgets much of his life from the future (because of the way time travel works on your brain) and gets married and has a daughter. When the TCB catches up to him he has to leave his family behind, but things that he has done during his exile and activity afterwards mean that his daughter is in danger from the TCB it ...more
Katie
All the feels! I was completed engrossed in this time traveler thriller about a father trying to save a daughter he left behind in time. The world-building was solid and the plot was intricate, but best part of this novel was how it touched the heart. Highly recommend! 4.5 stars rounded to 5.

Thanks to NetGalley, Harlequin - Mira and the author Mike Chen for an advanced electronic review copy. The book comes out January 29, 2019.
Sharen
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Harlequin-Mira (U.S. and Canada) for allowing me to read an early copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is a story about family, what we are willing to do for love, what a parent is willing to do for their child AND it is a story about time travel!

Kin is a man suddenly returned to his life in the future after years of being stuck in the past. His emotional struggle is compounded by the realisation that his daughter's life follows a tragic path following his depar
Ari
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it
The synopsis sums up everything, and that can be both good and bad. There was no room for surprise, not much emotion either. But the overall story was entertaining and I liked the ending.

Review soon.

This one sounds AMAZING !
I also love the cover (which is not featured here yet, but it looks really great)
Grabby hands! Gimme gimme!!
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
You can find the full review and all the fancy and/or randomness that accompanies it at It Starts at Midnight <

This book captivated me from start to finish. Literally, from page one, I was hooked. And so I want to gush and shove this book at you and scream "read the thing!" but I guess I will settle for telling you why I adored it, yeah? Great!

•Seriously, holy feels! I had tears streaming down my face for idk, at least 90% of this thing? And not because it's horribly sad or anything! But be

• Famous Men Who Never Lived
  • The Test
  • Ancestral Night (White Space, #1)
  • The City in the Middle of the Night
  • Fall, or Dodge in Hell
  • Time's Children
  • Vigilance
  • Recursion
  • Time Shards (Time Shards #1)
  • Do You Dream of Terra-Two?
  • One Word Kill (Impossible Times, #1)
  • Middlegame
  • The Luminous Dead
  • A Brightness Long Ago
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan, #1)
  • If, Then
  • The Future of Another Timeline
Mike Chen is a lifelong writer, from crafting fan fiction as a child to somehow getting paid for words as an adult. He has contributed to major geek culture websites (The Mary Sue, The Portalist), covered the NHL for mainstream media outlets, and ghostwritten corporate articles appearing in Forbes, Buzzfeed, Enterpreneur, and more. A member of SFWA and the Codex Writers group, Mike calls the San F ...more
“We’re all different people all through our lives, but that’s okay, as long as you remember all the people you used to be.” 0 likes