Start by marking “Walter the Farting Dog” as Want to Read:
Walter the Farting Dog

Walter the Farting Dog

(Walter the Farting Dog #1)

Warning: This book may cause flatulence. Walter is a fine dog, except for one small problem: he has gas. He can't help it; it's just the way he is. Fortunately, the kids Billy and Betty love him regardless, but Father says he's got to go! Poor Walter, he's going to the dog pound tomorrow. And then, in the night, burglars strike. Walter has his chance to be a hero. A childr ...more
Published November 1st 2001 by Frog Children's Books (first published October 10th 2001)

Start your review of Walter the Farting Dog
Petra-X
Jul 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, reviewed
This is one of the only two books in Latin I've ever read. Mostly because the only Latin I know I learned during school detentions. That and the Greek alphabet. I had started on Hannibal coming over the mountains, but I didn't get very far as I got expelled and that put a stop to the Latin lessons.

Walter the Farting Dog is very funny in English, but in Latin it's totally hilarious. I mostly sell the book to lawyers and accountants, small boys get the English version with the attached whoopee cus
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

If you’re a parent of a child who doesn’t like to read (like I am), it’s all about finding material that will keep their interest. What could possibly be more interesting to a kid than farts? And what could possibly be more hilariously disgusting than the paint melting stench of a dog’s fart????

Dallas Commercial Photography

Billy and Betty think Walter is the perfect addition for their family. Unfortunately, his stank rump is causing their father to think diffe
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Kids who like to laugh at bodily functions (and what kid doesn't?) will enjoy the adventures of Walter the Farting Dog. This was one of our kids' favorite picture books for several years. The illustrations are quirky and funny and fit the text, and the book has an affirmative message (even dogs that fart incessantly can be useful and loved!).

At our local elementary school, there was a tradition in our son's 1st grade class for the birthday kids to bring in one of their parents to read one of the
Malbadeen
Aug 10, 2010 rated it did not like it
I hate this book. I mean I really, really hate this book. I've got nothing against dogs and potty humor - well,whatever I don't really care about that one way or the other.

but here's the thing,

I'm in a class with a group of people that have never taught before, they all want to teach high school language arts. On the day we were to discuss Picture books - yay! picture books! I was excited by the prospect of this group of people being able to re-discover and discover some great books that can be
Kathryn
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
When I worked at Borders during the holiday break one December during my undergrad years, Walter the Farting Dog had just made its debut and I was at once amazed and slightly appalled at how many people came in asking for it, right down to embarrassed grandmothers whispering the book's title with sheepish sideways glances. I really never felt compelled to read it, but then I recently stumbled across the reviews of some of the newer books in the series (yes, it's a series!) and I was bemused by t ...more
Ann
Jul 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: nobody
I could really find little redeeming value here. It's not that I mind a good gassy book - I can laugh and giggle over the tales of toots for ages. But, to me, the story-telling here just felt forced, and there didn't seem to be anything special in the writing. Plus, the illustrations kind of wigged me out.

That said, what I really could not support was the horrible attitude of the father. After the two children bring Walter home from the pound (where nobody wanted him, but they loved him), the fa
La Coccinelle
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Is it wrong that this made me laugh out loud? Yes, it's a picture book about a rescue dog who farts. Like... a lot. He farts so much that Father threatens to send him back to the pound. Walter decides he needs to do something about this, so he goes and has a snack. The snack gives him gas. Of course it does...

The illustrations are really weird, some sort of mixed-media digital mish-mash by the look of it. But the expressions on Walter's face are pretty funny. Combined with the text... well, I co
Ronyell
Walter

“Walter the Farting Dog” is an extremely unique book created by William Kotzwinkle and Glenn Murray along with illustrations by Audrey Colman. This book is about how an innocent dog-named Walter has some serious gas problems to the chagrin of his new family. “Walter the Farting Dog” will have the entire family rolling around laughing for many years.

William Kotzwinkle and Glenn Murray’s story about a farting dog is truly unique since there has never been a children’s book that focused solely on
Christina
Jul 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
I read this book to my students & they adored it. Many of them took it home to read with their parents...that to me is awesome. :) Good book on compassion for kids...

(I originally bought this book to send to my 3-year old niece so that my mother would have to read it to her and naturally, it would torture my mother to say the word "fart" a million times over...;) )
Amy
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sweet-petites
This book is pretty funny and the illustrations are a lot of fun. Although, I'm not sure we were allowed to use the word "fart" at home, when I was a kid. Haha!
Terry
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story of a farting dog and the children who loved him.
Kid tested. Lots of giggles, belly laughs and comments.
Any book which keeps kids' attention and inspires interaction while reading aloud, is a success in my book. This book was a, (wait for it), gas! 😁
Ivy H
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-book
OK so I cheated a bit. I just listened to this book on YouTube. It was short and so funny but then I love dogs and I thought this was kinda cute. Poor Walter is a dog that farts so much that potential owners are turned off. He's lucky that little Betty and Billy adopt him but their home starts to reek of his farts soon after. Lol. Thank God my dogs don't share Walter's farting issues. Seriously. I think the hard copy of this children's book includes a lot of illustrations ( it must because the b ...more
Kristina
Oct 05, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kidstuff
I read this one with Alex while I was teaching him reading a couple years ago. I really did not like it. Other than the subject matter, it isn't written well and the illustrations are odd and don't make me want to look at them. There are much better kids books out there.
May 11, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-lit
Rife with middle school humor, this could aptly be billed as having been written "expressively with the adolescent male in mind." A little too flat (ulent) for my taste but then I'm not a twelve-year-old boy.
Suzanne
I read this in a bookstore and just think this is one of the funniest books ever. Everything about it is well done.
Auntee
Jun 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
What can I say? The nephews loved it.:)
Ryan
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book came out 18 years ago, and I have to say, it still holds up. I know many children’s librarians were confused by my love of this wonderful pup, but I can't help it. Maybe he reminds me of my past and present stinky dogs, maybe he reminds me of a few family members, but I am not ashamed to say I love Walter the Farting Dog and all his adventures. About the only thing that dates this book is the reference to the VHS player, otherwise it is just as much fun now as it was then. Plus, the il ...more
Rebecca
I hate this book but the kid likes it.
Mariel
Feb 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: the pungent odor of a stale dog fart
Recommended to Mariel by: this is walter!
Walter's farts aren't hurting anyone. It wasn't enough that the adults could blame their own toots on poor Walter (he really is responsible for mine, though. He's a ventriloquist pooter). The not-very-fun adult father laid down the law. The vet sticks his cold instruments up you-know-sunny places and then just says he can't eat anything good anymore. Doctors always say that! Shhh, doctor, but health food is gaseous too (I hear sugar free is the road to diarrhea). So it is The Pound! They don't e ...more
Amanda
Sep 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: aunts and uncles of small children
Shelves: here-be-dogs
The story is funny, but it's the illustrations that take this book into the realm of "must own". Walter is a good dog who just happens to have, hum, digestive difficulties. His children love him, but Mom, Dad, the Uncle, and the Vet decide that Walter has to go. Only a last minute triumph by a very flatulent Walter saves the day.

I read this to the kids subsituting the word "tooting" for "farting" - on the direction of their parents. I think we should go ahead and call a fart a fart, but I'm only
John Ginn
Sep 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Well it's a children's book, and silly as hell, and all I can say is that it made me laugh so hard that other people were looking at me like they thought I was nuts.

As in his writing for adults, Kotzwinkle's prose is a textbook example on how to avoid extra words. He's a master at creating humorous rhythm in his sentence construction, so that sometimes he can get a laugh by simply throwing an oddball cadence into the mix. One sentence had only two words: Walter farted. With the context and build
Jeremy
Aug 06, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: dog fart likers
If this book had been around when I was little, I probably would have wept with gratitiude. As it stands, it mainly brings to mind just how unpleasant dog farts are. Really nothing funny about them at all. They don't even make a funny noise most of the time. Occasionally they might emit a "suss". Nothing funny about suss. You get up on stage and say "suss" into the mike, they're liable to boo you right out of the place.

Dog farts make a room smell like steaming, putrid ham without warning. They
Kaethe Douglas
Yeah, he farts.

That's pretty much it.

No doubt many will find this hilarious. While I like to think I could love a pet regardless of his failings, ill-health, or whatever, something won't let me love a book character just because he farts, and farting dogs need love, too.

I'm a good parent because I read this to my kid. I'm a bad parent because, to my relief, she didn't really love it either. I'm a good reviewer because I haven't made a single fart pun.

There, I've written "fart" four (now five!) t
Rebekah
Jul 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
My mom was having a rough time of things, so we went to a bookstore, because is there really any better place to go to cheer up? We saw this book, and I made her sit down while I read it to her out loud. She was very embarrassed, but also very amused. We both know a Walter. Everyone knows a Walter.
Cindy
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read this at a certain five-year-old friend's birthday party this weekend. Okay, so I had more than a few margaritas, but a few of the lines were genuinely funny. The illustrations were lovingly cringe-worthy but amusing. I'm thinking a lot of kids without dogs might start calling their dad "Walter!"
The Cute Little Brown-haired girl
This is on the shelf of the exam room at my doctors office. (Nice to know she has a sense of humor, eh?) I read it when I was waiting and laughed my ass off!!! Get it for your kid when they realize that there is a trumpet in their butt. Or, when the dog lets one during dinner. It is hilarious.
Dolly
Oct 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Parents reading with their children
Shelves: pets, childrens, 2008
A great story about adopting a good, deserving animal, warts (oops, I mean farts) and all. Our girls really enjoyed this one. Unique illustrations, too.
Kate
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My kids think this is the funniest book ever and will read it over and over and over again.
Robyn
Aug 29, 2016 rated it liked it
very funny, and a great story for small kids
Madeline Clements
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: edtp-245
This book is on the banned book list. I can see how some people would find it inappropriate. Over all the story was okay. It was different due to the farting aspect but the story line was nothing special. I would probably have this in a classroom for children to read silently but I would not read it aloud.

• I Need a New Bum!
  • The Serious Goose
  • The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes
  • Dragons Love Tacos
  • The Squirrels Who Squabbled
  • Stick and Stone
  • Pete the Cat: Pete at the Beach
  • Give Me Back My Book!: (Funny Books for Kids, Silly Picture Books, Children's Books about Friendship)
  • I am Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • Max Attacks
  • The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food
  • Grumpy Monkey
  • Horrible Bear!
  • Attack of the 50-Foot Fly Guy! (Fly Guy #19)
  • Scaredy Squirrel Has a Birthday Party
  • Chicken Big
  • Doctor Grundy's Undies
  • The Good Egg Presents: The Great Eggscape!
William Kotzwinkle is a two-time recipient of the National Magazine Award for Fiction, a winner of the World Fantasy Award, the Prix Litteraire des Bouquinistes des Quais de Paris, the PETA Award for Children's Books, and a Book Critics Circle award nominee. His work has been translated into dozens of languages.

Walter the Farting Dog (5 books)
  • Walter the Farting Dog: Trouble At the Yard Sale