Start by marking “The She Book” as Want to Read:
The She Book

The She Book

The She Book is a collection of 107 poems and prose written for you. Because this is your year to live the life of your dreams, to heal, to witness, to be the one who queens. Once a silent star in the sky, lost, alone and unnoticed, she began to dream her life awake. Sensitivity brought light to her dark side and vulnerability found words for what her heart felt but could ...more
Published December 5th 2017 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The She Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The She Book

Start your review of The She Book
~ Althea | themoonwholistens ~  ☾
"People are the way they are because of them. People love the way they love because of them. People do things they do because of them. Not because of you."

This was a very feminist poetry collection about Love, Hurting, and Being there for yourself.

I greatly enjoyed reading this collection and you could really feel the emotions that the author put into the work. There were a lot of original pieces that did not sound redundant when compared to other poetry collections. It is
Ioanna
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

The She Book is a collection of 107 poems. Spanning from a few words to a full page, they are written in a way that empowers and inspires the reader. But the poems also tackle issues like emotional pain, change, and self love.

An overall good read, recommended for fans of modern poetry.
Scott
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very readable

These poems, while they reward repeat reading, leap off the page with joy and power from the very first perusal.
Lindsay Lock
Beauty book of heart-delivered poetry which tackles both the light and dark with bravery and Tanya's special sparkly-ness akin to get Thug Unicorn Instagram feed. Truly soulful book that I'll revisit often for inspiration.
Nena Abernathy
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A balanced combination of well-thought out writings that evoke an emotional response and poems that seemed to be mildly lacking in emotional depth. If you enjoy books like Milk & Honey this is a good comparison, but it does not reach as much of an emotional depth. Good read overall but some poems needed work. Definitely marked some pages for later because of the connection I felt but some left more to be desired.
Heather
May 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
*I voluntarily read this book via NetGalley. All thoughts are my own*

I was excited when I picked up this collection because I've been on a huge poetry kick lately, but I'm afraid to say that I was really let down with this one. Unfortunately I couldn't connect with Tanya's writing and I only enjoyed a handful of the poems. On a more positive note, I really did enjoy the ending where Tanya included 12 poems for women born in corresponding months of the year. I would recommend this col
Andea Pita
I wasn’t sure if I was going to like this but, there were several good ones that I marked to read again and again. I even shared with my daughter.
Jenny Whetzel
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am just starting to read poetry and I liked her work. Very empowering words for women! I will most likely purchase more of her work when it is available.
Jessica☆
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Solid set of poems! I really enjoyed the starsign segment at the end ♡
Catherine Schweig
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In equally tender and fierce expressions, Tanya Markul’s “The She Book” delivers 107 bite-sized, inspiring assertions of womanhood, followed by 12 brief zodiac portraits of “stardusted women”, that reverberate with an uplifting zeal for life. Markul’s voice pleasantly undulates between narratives of her own challenging history, the empowering realizations she extracted from it, emphatic directives to the reader, and characterizations of “She” that blur the lines between where “She” ends and the ...more
Danielle Josephine
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been following Tanya Markul (“Thug Unicorn”) on social media for months now. Her words and imagery have spoken to me and this book is an incredible collection of her poetry. Every page left me wanting more and so many of these poems spoke straight into my heart and soul. One of my favorites was “sixty” — as someone who is walking the journey of learning how to be happy within myself, this one really got me. Thank you Tanya Markul.
Alison (Story-eyed Reviews)
“Come, sisters, let us sit around the fire.”

In The She Book, Tanya Markul delivers 114 short, emotive little poems that come together to create something greater than the sum of its parts. Reminiscent of Rupi Kaur or Lang Leav, The She Book was empowering, brave, soulful, and utterly readable.

Alison (Story-eyed Reviews)
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Come, sisters, let us sit around the fire.”

I love the feminist women’s poetry trend that’s happening now and this book is another great addition. From her elegant and tender way of combing through the layers of emotions, to her modern
Terri
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The She Book is a collection of poetry that tries to reach the audience with the message of female empowerment and rising above it all to find the strength within yourself. However, this collection did not speak to me.

Put Markul down as another of the Instagram Poets. I don't say that in a negative way, because this poetry movement brought the likes of Rupi Kaur and Amanda Lovelace. The biggest issue I have with this collection that I didn't with the others is that it's playing mimicry--it is t
Madeline Lacy
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley and Andrew McMeels Publishing in exchange for my honest opinion. All my thoughts on this poetry collection are my own ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Tanya has a way of writing that inspires and empowers you. I felt moved by her words encouraging self-love and care! Her poems range from a couple of lines to full pages but each one holds a special magic. I highly recommend this book of poetry to any woman who needs encouragement and validation in their everyday lives. Her writi
Mahi
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
"Thanks to Netgalley, I received a free copy in exchange of an honest review."

This review is just my opinion & I mean no offense.
The She Book was more of a self-help book than poetry. The persona of this collection (of 114 poems + 12 poems for women born in each month of the year) seemed helpful but it it felt like she was standing in front of me telling me : " YOU ARE ENOUGH" "YOU CAN MAKE IT" just like a therapist. In my opinion The She Book would be a way better book if
Maggie Mugford
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The words have registered for me that only one other poetry book has before (Fierce Fairytales). I devoured it in one sitting before lunch. The first poem I liked was twenty-three and I think it would be a really good mantra. Next, I thoroughly enjoyed 38, because it reminds me of a religion course I took last semester on Mindfulness where a big thingwas that, “I am enough.” I liked 67 a lot because it reminds me of meditative practice, and mindful breathing, and calming myself down. 98 really r ...more
Jen
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, netgalley, usa
Ok, this book really surprised me. 'The She Book' is a collection of 107 poems and prose to empower and heal women. Whilst the concept appealed to me, when I began reading I feared it was going to be very airy-fairy, hippy-dippy, new-age nonsense. And then suddenly Tanya Markul's words began to really resonate with me and move me, and I could imagine a few of my friends who would feel the same. This is a powerful and unique poetry collection, and I've already pre-ordered physical copies for me a ...more
Pamela Scott

(ARC from @AndrewsMcMeel via #NetGalley and voluntarily reviewed)

I’ve never read the poet before I wasn’t sure what to expect. These poems are written in the second person as if the poet is speaking directly to the reader. This is an unusual style in poetry and works really well. The subject matter of the poems has been tackled an infinite number of times; love, hope, sexuality, being a woman etc. There’s nothing really new here but I enjoyed the poems all the same.

thea rosemary
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was such a lovely thought piece on what it means to be a woman - the thoughts considered in empowerment and individual growth. there were some very powerful punches of prose. it resonated even deeper for me because of markul’s use of diction - the way she incorporated the idea of magic and nature so heavily into her imagery.

a very lovely, lovely read. thank you so much to my sister for gifting this to me. :)
Andreea
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
It might be just me, but I couldn't connect with any of the poems in this book. They are too simple while at the same time trying too hard to be about something meaningful.

Unfortunately it wasn't the poetry book for me.

I received this book from NetGalley in exchange of an honest review. All opinion are entirely my own.
Alee
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful!

This is such a wonderful book of poems! I couldn’t put it down. I had to force myself to pace my reading! I’ve never read something that made me feel good about being the glorious beautiful mess that I am! Thank you for sharing your heart with the world, Tanya. May your words touch the mind, heart, and souls of all the women seeking encouragement to love themselves!
Caety
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very empowering read of several poems. Some touched me deeply. This is not a one-time read. This will become a daily or weekly review. Even though I know it was written mainly for women, the powerful message can be used by anyone in an abusive or non-valuing relationship or for anyone who always gives and gives of themselves and doesn't take the time to value themselves in the process.
Kirsten Tattersall
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

"She's the breath of a wild galaxy
disguised as summer's breeze."

This book was beautiful. It's exactly what I needed to read right now. It's about being there for yourself and I really needed to hear that. I'd highly recommend giving it a try. I'm looking forward to whatever Tanya decides to write next.
Debra
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A treasure of a book which I will dip into, find solace and inspiration from for the rest of my days!
An amazing talent for relating so many emotions, struggles, fears, fights into a true work of beautiful art. So blessed I found this book !
Katie
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I never knew I needed this in my life and now I don’t know how I ever lived without it. This is a gift to refer to for forever strength, guidance, assurance, comfort and understanding. Tanya Markul just became my new best friend.
Karen
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a digital copy from NetGalley in exchange for a honest review. This collection of poetry was quite empowering. A few of the poems really spoke to me. I especially enjoyed the moments where Markul talks about females coming together instead of being competition with one another.
Mikia
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Belle Ame Collections

This book which I read in no more than 45mins was full of inspirational messages. As a woman currently feeling lost this was a much needed read!

Nina
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Touching

I’ve learned a lot reading your words. It often felt as if you wrote about me. I will re-read and gift your words to my sisters. They inspire and heal. Thank you.
DRS
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful words and thoughts. I'm getting copies for my daughters as well, even though my youngest might not appreciate it fully for a few years; it's worth hanging on to for her.

• Nocturnal
  • Pillow Thoughts III: Mending the Mind
  • I Am Her Tribe
  • 2am Thoughts
  • Between You and These Bones
  • Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • Every Word You Cannot Say
  • Inward
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • In a Dream You Saw a Way to Survive
  • Planting Gardens in Graves II
  • in the absence of the sun
  • Uncaged Wallflower
  • Masquerade
  • Empty Bottles Full of Stories
  • becoming.
  • The Blue Day Book Illustrated Edition: A Lesson in Cheering Yourself Up
  • The Escape Manual for Introverts
“It took acknowledging the brokenness of the world to dare making herself whole.” 3 likes
“Love the stale glitter on your tired face and the tangled bird’s nest you call hair. Love your wobbly messiness, bad grammar, and sailor cussing flair. Love the crystals falling out of your bra and the feathers stuffed in your pocket. Love the scariness of what you know is held in your little heart locket.” 2 likes