Start by marking “Point of Contact” as Want to Read:
Point of Contact

Point of Contact

Only love can heal an impossibly broken heart

There’d forever been a thread running through Trevor Estes’s life—his son, Riley, strong and constant like a heartbeat. But when Riley is killed in combat, everything in Trevor’s life unravels into a mess he doesn’t know how to mourn.

Then Jesse Byrne, Riley’s friend and platoon mate, arrives on Trevor’s doorstep with a box of
Published March 26th 2018 by Carina Press

Start your review of Point of Contact
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*Price drop to $0.99 at Amazon US today, 6/14/18!*

THIS BOOK!

I've had a long streak of mediocre and crappy reads recently, and I had begun thinking that maybe I was just too picky, too finicky in my tastes. Then Point of Contact comes around and blows my mind, and I realize that greatness is out there.

First of all, this book is A-to the-N-G-S-T-Y, and you KNOW what's coming, but that doesn't stop the tears from streaming down your face. If you are prepared to be gutted and then put back
Judith
5 + Stars

It was amazing how one man’s life— and death— had changed the course of so many others’, leaving people as adrift as pieces of flotsam on an angry sea.(...)

I'm a huge fan of this Author and she's delivered something quite special here.I,like most people,have watched the news reports over the years,have seen coffins being brought home to distraught families.....casualties of war.You watch,you sympathize,you take a few minutes and you get on with your life.....never really imagining
Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog••
****Now live****

When I saw the info on this book, I was like oh god I have to check this one out. Then I saw some spectacular reviews from of my GR friends and I was like, get me that book, NOW! Thankfully I got this book and man did I devour it.

Let me start by saying, this book, this fricken book wrecked havoc on my heart

I absolutely 100% am in love with this book. I cried, I cringed, I loved, I sobbed, and gosh dang I drooled over Jesse & Trevor, and Riley too.

We're introduced to
Wendy
Diablo Flooring installed carpet in several rooms in our home. The customer service was fantastic. The installation team was great. I would highly recommend Brian and his team to anyone. I also like that this is a local, family owned business.

I just know that when I open a book by this author, I am gonna be wowed. Which is exactly what happend, when I opened this one. This book made my heart break into a million little pieces but also put it back together again, in the most beautiful way....

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor shattering heart gif Gerelateerde afbeelding

I think I can honestly say that this book will make my top 10 of 2018...without a doubt.

I don't want to say too much though.... I think everyone should experience this one by themselves, without any spoilers....

Was it heartbreaking.... yes it
Martin
How do you start a review for a book like this?

"Best Book Ever?"

description

"If there is only one book I would take with me on a remote island, I'd want it to be this one?"

OMFG, I can hardly find words to describe my feelings for this book. It was absolutely fantastic, heartfelt, emotional and beautifully life-changing.
It was a real reading experience.

I've always been a fan of military romances, mainly because the MCs are usually tough guys who hardly ever give in to their emotions - and when they do
Nazanin
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, netgalley, m-m
3.5 Stars

This story is about a father (Trevor) who lost his only son (Riley) and Jesse who lost his best friend in the war. Trevor and Jesse found each other through Riley. They both struggled with their loss and started healing each other. They find peace with each other. The healing part of this story was too much for me. The 60-70% of the story, they were healing, speak about Riley, about their memories of Riley, about what he did or wanted to do, about war and people they lost… This
Simone
Grief never ends... But it changes.
It's a passage, not a place to stay.
Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor a lack of faith...
It is the price of love. ~Author Unknown ~

Bildergebnis für jarhead 2 gif

Once in a while you stumble across a book you just know will overwhelm you with emotions. A book that will wreck you in every sense of the word. But in the end it is a book you would never regret reading and you are glad you got to know the people in it and their story, even if it might shred your
.Lili.
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it

Melanie Hansen is a go-to when I need an excellent angsty read that will make me cry and man did she make me cry! When you read the blurb for Point of Contact, you know there'll be heartbreak. I mean losing your child is every parent's worst nightmare. What I wasn't expecting going in to get to know said child.

**Big spoiler**
(view spoiler)
Dia
ALL the stars

Point of Contact is one of the most heartbreaking but amazing stories I've read so far. Superbly written, full of emotions, grief, sadness, but also healing and - in the end - love.

I asked for an ARC, because I got super curious after seeing so many high ratings. So many of my friends loved it.

I am all for a lot of angst in my stories. I never back down from reading a book that'll get me wrecked. I prefer to be gutted, than to read fluffy romance. I want to be surprised, I want to
Ky
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's been about a week since I finished this book and I still find myself thinking about these characters at random times...

5 stars for a story that wrecked me...

Full review closer to release date.

Update 26/03 - full review below

5 stars for a story that wrecked me...

At the end, in the Acknowledgments page, the author says that "there were a million tears shed in the writing of this story". Well, Ms Hansen, I can assure you that a lot of tears were shed while reading it too.

I don't think I can do
DarienMoya
4.5

Note to Self: The next time you see your GR friends saying how a book made them bawl and breakdown please effing take it at face value and realize that they were actually bawling their eyes out and not playing around.

This book broke my heart, broke it again, and then broke it one more time while putting it a tiny bit together. Melanie Hansen didn’t come to play with us when it comes to Point of Contact, she really didn’t come to play.

Trevor Estes is scared, he’s very scared. He’s dealing
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
3.5 Stars!

So much pain and suffering. I'm kind of beat down.

There's a whole heck of a lot of pain and suffering in this book. And Melanie Hansen sure can write the hell out of it. But I don't like to be sad and to read about so much suffering.

I think the real kicker was making us experience SO much of the war…for what 50+% of the book? We really get to know Riley as a person, his best friend Jesse. And every page I'm just waiting. I know it's coming. And then BAM....knife to the chest.
Jewel
It's been quite some time since I sobbed while reading a book. I was beginning to think I'd just become too cynical. Well, I sobbed while reading this book. Multiple times. I knew, from reading the blurb, what I was in for, but even the knowledge of Riley's death didn't save me from emptying a half a box of kleenex when it happened. And the tears didn't stop there. Turns out I needed a good cry a lot more than I thought I did.

Point of Contact is a story about grief and healing and new beginnings
Susan
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hurt-comfort, mm, arc
I should have never read this book.

This is a book about grief. And love, but mostly grief. I guess I thought I could handle Riley’s death, but I forgot this is Melanie Hansen here. She makes us care about the characters and she makes us love them. And then they die….

This woman sure knows how to write. This book made me feel so much. I was kind of hoping this book would start with Riley’s death and then go from there. But of course Melanie Hansen is a meanie. She made me read about Riley for 80
haletostilinski
With a sob Trevor put his back to the wall and slid to the floor, tears streaming down his cheeks.
“I miss you, Riley James.”

“And, Jess, don’t for one minute think I don’t realize how much shit you put up with from me. I just hope you realize how much I love you for it.”
Giving a watery chuckle, Jesse kissed him again, more firmly this time. “There’s no ‘putting up with you,’ Mr. Estes. There’s only loving you, and I do, with all my heart.”

Godddd, I am a MESS. This book was amazing but it was so
Ele
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
"...there are chunks of my heart that are missing and I’m not sure will ever grow back. But Jess—”
Trevor got to his knees, and he put his hands on Jesse’s shoulders. “All I can tell you is that everything that’s left is one hundred percent yours."

Point of Contact is a masterpiece. I'm 100% sure that it's the best MM book out there that deals with grief. Brilliant, evocative writting, insightful narrative, and characters that the reader can't help to empathise with.

So why not 5 full stars?

Cadiva
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5*

So, so, so many times this book made me tear up but I never full on ugly cried like I have with previous Melanie Hansen books and I think, for me, the reason for that was Carl.

(view spoiler)
Moony Eliver
Um, I feel like I'll need to duck the incoming tomatoes. Let me just say, I understand the draw to this one. I do. It’s an emotional story, and the romance is built on an extensive backstory that can majorly tug at one’s heartstrings.

Unfortunately, the writing didn't work for me for a variety of reasons.

On the plus side, I got a decent sense of who Jesse and Riley were fairly quickly. And there weren’t really any plot lulls, so I didn’t find myself bored due to it not moving along fast enough.
Mo
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked it. But it did not hit the five stars for me. Not really sure why. It is in the blurb so I am assuming this is not a spoiler. Trevor loses his son in the war in Afghanistan. It is hard to lose a loved one. Lost my Mam some months ago ... she was 89 so had a long, good life but to lose a child, more or less on the brink of adulthood must be devastating. Not sure you could ever get over it ... especially after a few months (ya hear that Carl, you plonker - did not like him at all).

It took
CrabbyPatty

Kintgusi is the centuries-old Japanese art of repairing broken pottery by joining the pieces and emphasizing the fractures with gold, silver or platinum. Instead of hiding the breaks, the fractures become part of the restored piece, showing there is beauty in the imperfect and broken.

In much the same way, Point of Contact shows lives that are crushed, destroyed, ended ... yet the reconstruction creates a new beauty, a new life that is not simply a repair of the old, but a new creation that will
LenaRibka
It looks like you start to cry at 2% and don't stop up to the end. (+ one week after finishing it.)

Oh man!.. But honestly...crying non-stop through 451 pages?!

The more 5 stars reviews with crying gifs popped up on my feeds, the less interest I have in reading it. Do I REALLY want to do it to myself?!

I don't think so. I have to move it from the top of my to-read-list.
In spite of my luck to get an ARC, I think I'll skip it.

Sorry for that, but this book should come with a serious warning: It will
Alisa

This was a really unique story and I kind of love the author for it. The blurb is very clear on the events that happen so you know that going in. What you don't know is how creatively this author is going to tell the story.

It's told in two parts. Before Riley's death and after Riley's death. The way this is done lets the reader get to know Riley well. (he's in about 30% of the book) so it's not just Trevor and Jesse who are destroyed when he dies. You as the reader are going to feel it too. I
Debra
Reviewed for Sinfully.

I'm very late to this party since this was my first Melanie Hansen book. If this story is any indication of what her other books have in store, I'm sorry I got started so late. There is nothing I didn't like about Point of Contact. From the exploration of grief and its different effects on people to the slow-building relationship between Trevor and Jesse, this story brought out so many emotions and had me shedding tears throughout.

Trevor, a single father, has a close bond
Line
I don't really know what to say about this one, other than: bring tissues! Lots and LOTS of tissues.
description

This was not what I thought it would be, which was actually kind of great.
BUT (and I debated whether I should actually mention this, but I feel like I have to) the military and the comments on the 'war' in Afghanistan and Iraq, and why Riley and Jesse were actually there in the first place made me sad and angry and comtemplating the lives of war vets AS WELL AS the lies told and the broken
Christine
DNF @ 70%
I really wanted to like this
The first 30% was hard to get through. I didn’t buy the fact that Riley and Jessie were best friends (the author good have done a better job establishing that).

The grief that Trevor was dealing with was very real and believable so kudos for that. I also thought the pacing and the stages of the grief was perfect. I wish the relationship that was developing between Justin and Trevor was better weaved into the story. It got to the point for me where Jessie
Bev
All the stars and then some!

I’ve tried for two days to write a review, or even get my thoughts on this book in some sort of order but, when I book is just that good that I’m left discombobulated well, I don’t think I could even begin to do this justice. What I will say is that this book is exquisite. Totally and utterly exquisite.

I’ve not read many books that have affected me quite like this one has. I read the first third of the book with my heart in my mouth and my stomach in knots, waiting
Kaje Harper
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
This was a believable, slowly-developing, age-gap, hurt-comfort story about Trevor, a single gay father whose son goes off to war, and is lost overseas. As he tries to handle his grief, a platoon mate of his son's shows up at the house with his son's things. Jesse's matching grief lets them bond in the effort to survive losing Riley, and then gradually come together into something more.

The progression of the story was slow and believable, and the impact of grief, the intensity of military
Melissa
6-16-18: Currently on SALE for .99cents on Amazon US (not sure about other locations)

This book is totally worth it!!!! You don't want to miss reading this one.

Review:
A complimentary copy was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book made me cry. I love a story that makes me feel something, and I especially love a story that makes my heart clench and has me reaching for the tissues. I don't know where the inspiration
~Mindy Lynn~
**I received an ARC from Netgalley and the Publisher in exchange for an honest review.**
Denise H.
Unforgettable, breathtaking, gripping, emotional, and passionate !
***** 10 STARS !***** Hunker down, tissues ready, and this is "unputdownable."
We see a group of young men at Riley's house, living it up at a Trevor's poolside BBQ, before they are sent overseas. We get to know them a bit, and then again at war, where we see them change, grow, and harden in the hell of the war zone. It's brutal.

Riley... (after all, it is all about him)

Jesse...

When finally given a chance to take a break, Jesse

• Edge of Forever
  • When Everything Is Blue
  • Squared Away (Out of Uniform, #5)
  • Honeymoon for One
  • Galaxies and Oceans
  • The Blueprint (Rules of Possession, #1)
  • Evolved
  • Tight Quarters (Out of Uniform, #6)
  • Fake Out (Fake Boyfriend, #1)
  • Vanilla Clouds
  • Risk Taker (Mixed Messages, #3)
  • Riven (Riven, #1)
  • Any Given Lifetime
  • Rocky Mountain Refuge
  • Heated Rivalry (Game Changers, #2)
  • Deal Maker (Mixed Messages, #2)
  • If We Could Go Back (Camassia Cove, #6)
  • Oz (Finding Home, #1)
Melanie Hansen has spent time in Texas and Florida prisons…for work. She’s been in a room with a 17-year-old mass murderer who was also one of the most soft-spoken and polite teenagers she’s ever met. After a 13-year career as a court reporter, she can tell many stories both hilarious and heartbreaking.

She grew up with an Air Force dad, and ended up marrying a Navy man. After living and working
“If there's one thing I've learned, it's that grief is a journey, except there's no point A to point B. It's a fucking twisty-turny, up-and-down, forward-and-back piece of shit. It's one good day....hell, maybe it's only a few good hours.....in the midst of a shit-ton of bad ones. But you don't give up, and you keep going.” 1 likes
“A strong man asks for help.” 0 likes