Start by marking “Fruit Bowl” as Want to Read:
Fruit Bowl

Fruit Bowl

Who belongs in the fruit bowl? Apples, check. Blueberries, check. Tomato, che– Wait, what?! Tomato wants to join the other fruits, but does he belong? The perfect mix of botany and a bunch of bananas!

All the fruit are in the bowl. There’s Apple and Orange. Strawberry and Peach. Plum and Pear. And, of course, Tomato.

Now wait just a minute! Tomatoes aren’t fruit! Or are they
Published June 12th 2018 by Knopf BFYR

To ask other readers questions about Fruit Bowl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fruit Bowl

Phyll
this was really cute and i loved the art. it had a lot of asides and puns on each page. i don't think my littles would sit through it without modification and superb voice acting lol
Tegan
Good picture book for older kids, a little long and wordy for younger ones. Good food puns.
Sharla Desy
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Washington Children's Choice Picture Book Award Nominee 2020.

Neither a science book (is a tomato a fruit) nor a parable about acceptance and diversity (some produce traditionally considered vegetable actually meets the criteria for being a fruit). While some are welcomed into the fruit bowl, others are inexplicably left in the crisper drawer.

The illustrations remind me of Eric Carle but lack his whimsy.

Overall, kind of a shoulder-shrugger. Nothing bad, but not much to take away from this one.
Anthony
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
When the fruits are put into a bowl, and tomato tries to join them all the other fruits shun him, and tell him he belongs in the bin with the other vegetables. So, using scientific data, charts, and an x-ray photo to prove that he is fruit, and does indeed belong in the fruit bowl he takes a stand. A humorous and pun filled story of the difference between fruits and vegetables.
Cassandra Gelvin
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This review originally published at http://www.drttmk.com/books/fruit-bowl.

Tomatoes are like the Schrödinger's cat of produce.

It feels like it's supposed to be metaphorical, but then it turns out that it's absolutely not metaphorical, and it's literally just talking about whether or not tomatoes are fruits.

All the fruits and vegetables are not only sentient, but have faces, arms and legs. There's an unpictured human of some kind who just went shopping, and the fruit all walks out of the grocery
Erica
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Barbara
Lively gouache and digital illustrations complement a humorous exploration of the difference between fruits and vegetables. This introduction to the topic comes via a kitchen where produce is being sorted into the appropriate spots, and the fruits are being placed in a bowl. The story features plenty of clever wordplay and a tomato who insists that it belongs in the fruit bowl too. He makes a compelling argument regarding seeds, and the fruit bowl gets filled with some unexpected produce. Meanwh ...more
Shelle Perry
When is a veggie not a veggie? When it is a fruit of course. In this book, a young boy has the job of helping his mother put away the groceries. Fruits go into the bowl and veggies go into the crisper. However, much to the chagrin of the fruit, Tomato would like to go into the bowl and it turns out that he is not alone. He and his friends make a good case as to why they should be included in the fruit bowl as they help the boy explore the actual differences between fruits and vegetables.

Despite
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Fruit Bowl by Mark Hoffmann, illustrated by Mark Hoffmann. PICTURE BOOK. Alfred A. Knopf, 2018. $18. 978-1-524-71991-3

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) – OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Is a tomato a fruit? A vegetable? This book explores what makes a fruit a fruit. It teaches us that many of the fruits we claim as fruits are actually vegetables.

This is a great concept for kids to learn about since they are often curious about the foods they eat and how they grow. The colors of the fruits are bright a
Debra
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very clever way of introducing the science of learning what classifies a vegetable and a fruit. Also, could be a springboard to a discussion on how tomato could have been the bridge between his new friends in the fruit bowl to the "other" group in vegetable land in the fridge.
I remember thinking it odd that a tomato was called a fruit until I learned the reasons brought to life by my mom being on a diet where she gained weight one week from eating too many tomatoes, which were a fruit. It was
Colleen
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grow-a-reader
This book made my day! For awhile I have been talking about how most food items that we called vegetables are actually fruits, such as peppers and cucumbers. This has led me to think that the category of vegetables is an illusion, but I liked how this book defined vegetables. They defined vegetable as leaves, petals, stems, and roots, which makes sense. Now this is a children's fictional picture book, but I like how they settled this debate. Besides giving me a definition that I can live with, I ...more
Read  Ribbet
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hoffman's clever book examines the question is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable. With a series of talking bubbles and fun word play, the book looks at the issue of inclusion while teaching bout the differences between fruits and vegetables while taking on a few misnomers about the distinctions. A wise old prune helps them learn that label should be less important than what the produce has to offer.
Peacegal
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fun, silly, and certainly colorful story that sneaks in a little lesson about the differences between vegetables and fruits--and that several of our favorites that we call "veggies" actually belong in the fruit bowl! It's always nice to see kids' books that celebrate produce--healthy eating is something everyone should get behind.
Jillian
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
It was cute, but - puns aside - actually a bit boring. The tone of the whole thing is just so argumentative. Maybe it's the current state of things in the US, but the fruit trying to keep out Tomato and making him offer proof and consult an authority to decide whether he belongs...
It just sort of made me tired.
Lindsey
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
A tomato tries his best to convince a bowl of fruit that he's not a vegetable, he's actually one of them. I like the simple faces on the fruits and vegetables, but the many dialogue boxes made the story a little chaotic. Still, I appreciate having a picture book on our shelves that clears up the myths about certain fruits that "masquerade" as vegetables.
Muriel
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
When fruits are getting put away after being purchased, a debate ensues among them about which "fruits" are in fact fruits or vegetables. Of course, a wise fruit solves the issue and confirms that fruits come from the flowering part of plants and that they have seeds. Children will love the silly puns and bright vivid illustrations. Best for children 4-7 years.
Katy
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
So, I enjoyed this, though the puns took over the story a bit. I liked that it has some actual information with the humor. However, I found myself asking "Who is this for?" Most of the puns would probably go over the kids' heads and they are most of the content.
Viviane Elbee
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The kids really enjoyed this book, and they also learned about what makes a fruit a fruit. They were really surprised by the ending, in a good way. :) I would definitely recommend this to preschools and early elementary, especially for story times involving nutrition, fruits & veggies and plants.
Rachel
Delightfully silly, but with some solid information too, has great potential classroom applications. The FTC requires that I disclose that I received a free copy of the book from the publisher.
Pam
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Clever way to work in the lesson on what is a fruit and what is a vegetable.
Sara
Fun informational book that explores who/which items count as fruit. It was fun but just didn’t set my hair on fire. Great illustrations and funny fruit/veg puns too.
Gabrielle Draxler
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it
So. Many. Food. Puns. It was berry good :)
Paula
Not catalogued as nonfiction but filled with lots of facts about fruits and vegetables
Edward Sullivan
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, food
Tomato has to convince his fellow fruits he is one of them.
Tricia
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Super informative!
Gretchen Oates
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Explains what fruits are vs. vegetables.
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
All conversation bubbles--not an easy read-aloud. Cute story about groups. Lots of puns.
Stefanie
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: k-2nd, food, 2018-stars
I can't decide what to think of this. I like the fruit puns. I feel like the conceit was dragged out a little bit too long?
Hannah
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Told in speech bubbles between Tomato and the others in the fruit bowl trying to argue the case of whether Tomato is a fruit or veggie.
Marcie
Another Graphic picture book. I like the humor and the argument. Think the 5th graders will like the word play.