Start by marking “Buried Seeds: A Chef's Journey: The Story of Vikas Khanna” as Want to Read:
Buried Seeds: A Chef's Journey: The Story of Vikas Khanna

Buried Seeds: A Chef's Journey: The Story of Vikas Khanna

A young boy in Amritsar learns to cook in his grandmother's kitchen while doing sewa at the legendary kitchens of the Golden Temple. He works as a delivery boy for his father's video cassette library, makes blankets, cooks at weddings and opens a catering business in the back of his house at the age of seventeen. The boy, now a young chef, makes a journey of a lifetime to ...more
Published June 1st 2018 by Wisdom Tree

To ask other readers questions about Buried Seeds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buried Seeds

Start your review of Buried Seeds: A Chef's Journey: The Story of Vikas Khanna
Jazz Singh
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the story of how a boy from a small town in India became American of the Year; of how a young boy in Amritsar with a slight handicap overcame all odds and became a Michelin-starred chef. The book is a tribute to the charming and talented Chef Vikas Khanna.
Raghav
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Buried Seeds has a lot of potential. Vikas Khanna's story needs to be told and it's the kind of tale that is both inspirational and uplifting. But, here, it seems the book walks the thin line between a "chef's journey" and a biography. There are so many aspects of Khanna's life I would have liked to know about - his relationships for example - but can also understand why they might have been excluded.

I struggled between giving the book 2 or 3 stars. This was mainly because the book is repetitiv
Shilpa Goel
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Chef Vikas was born with clubfeet (as per Wikipedia, Clubfoot is a birth defect where one or both feet are rotated inwards or downwards). Doctors said that he would not be able to run, but his mother was firm that he wasn't born to run, he was born to fly.
He walked,
he ran,
he flew.
He had the wings
which his family
nurtured and grew.
To my fellow fans of Chef Vikas, you must be thinking you know everything about him as you have seen, heard and read countless interviews of him, but NO! There's so muc
Sharon Shre
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Book Title – Buried Seeds: A Chef’s Journey : The Story of Vikas Khanna
Author – Karan Bellani
Genre – Biography / Autobiography
I picked up this book for three reasons 1)Being Foodie 2)love for Punjabi Munda 3) solely for Vikas Khanna (Doesn’t he resemble Richard Gere? What say?)
“They came to bury us, but they forgot that we were seeds”.
“Buried Seeds – A Chef’s Journey” by Karan Bellani s a biography of the popular Chef Vikas Khanna. Buried Seed shells the journey of Michelin star from the small-
Shruti Chhabra
Jun 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-of-2020
Some people never go crazy,
What truely horrible life they must lead.
~Charles Bukowski~
Written by Karan Bellani, Chef Vikas Khanna 's acquaintance and later friend. The book is divided into the chapters focussing Chef's life so far. What is beautiful about it, that each chapter starts with a quote from the famous personalities. The books focuses on the journey of the Micheline star Chef from the narrow alleys of Amritsar to the melting pot of the world New York. The difficulties, successes , ha
Tanvi Chaturvedi
Jul 12, 2021 rated it liked it
Let me start by saying very usual. I am a big fan of Chef Vikas Khanna. Totally awed when he comes on screen even for a fraction of seconds in an advertisement. I am following him on all possible social media platforms. I am a horrible cook yet I watch Master Chef India, wait for next season only and only for him.
I want (read order) all my loved ones who make yummy scrumptious dishes to appear for auditions and when happen to meet him make up some excuses to bring me in so that I can meet him.
In
Sandeep
Oct 18, 2020 rated it liked it
After a long time, I did decide to read a biography. And this was Vikas Khanna's. The last time I read a biography I was disappointed. This time, yes I am yet again disappointed.

The book is moderately put together. The author talks about in first tense in few places, second tense in many places. It is plain annoying, irritating and rather very confusing. At few points, I was wondering, is it Vikas speaking or is it the author.

The book oscillates between Amritsar, New York and Manipal. So do the
Priyanka Yadav
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I have been a fan of Vikas Khanna since my teens. Such a kind, humble soul he is and what an inspirational story his life is. What I didn't like about the book is its writing style. It was confusing & arrhythmic. There wasn't even enough written about the struggles he faced in America, about his fears which one can know just by watching few of his interviews on youtube. For me, the writer could not do justice in penning the extraordinary life of Chef Vikas Khanna.

Rukmani Krishna
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
An inspiring read which talks about the life, struggles and adventures of Chef Vikas Khanna. While I felt that the language and the descriptions were slightly mundane and repetitive at certain instances, the bulk of the material was quite good. I also felt that, the book tended to veer more toward a sort of hero worship of the Chef than come across as the biography of a well-known Chef.

Overall, it's a good read, quite light on the mind and inspiring. Give it a shot :)
sandeep
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lovely book written by a renowned chef where we all see in master chef programme in india. He has clearly written about the struggle of his life after coming to new York. Het told about his childhood memories and how we started showing passion on cooking when he was a child and he also told about his educational Saga when he was in Manipal college. Finally a good read about a famous chef and his struggles to success
Aayush Kaushik
Jan 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Great book
Pradeep Kumbhashi
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
My first book of the year 2018.....loved it. Griping and inspiring.

This book will give a glimpse of Chef’s life. If you are foodie... it will surely make you crave for his cooking. :)
Shailesh
Sep 11, 2021
Aditi
Apr 02, 2021
Pulkit
rated it did not like it
Nov 16, 2019

• The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • Men Without Women
  • Ghachar Ghochar
  • Cleopatra: A Life
  • Raavan: Enemy of Aryavarta (Ram Chandra #3)
  • How to Be an Antiracist
  • The Last Color
  • Timeless Legacy: His Holiness the Dalai Lama
  • Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products
  • By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept
  • It Happened In India: The Story of Pantaloons, Big Bazaar, Central and the Great Indian Consumer
  • The Mother

News & Interviews

When author TJ Klune was growing up, he never saw queer characters in books in a way that felt true to his experience.  “They were the...