Start by marking “The Gradual Disappearance of Jane Ashland” as Want to Read:
The Gradual Disappearance of Jane Ashland

The Gradual Disappearance of Jane Ashland

An American woman wakes up alone in a tent in the Norwegian mountains. Outside a storm rages and the fog is dense. Her phone is dead. She doesn't have a map or a compass or any food.

How she ended up there, and the tragic events of her past emerges over the course of this slim, gripping novel. We discover that she's a writer with a bad case of writer's block - she hasn't w
Published April 26th 2018 by Pushkin Press (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Gradual Disappearance of Jane Ashland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gradual Disappearance of Jane Ashland

Liz Barnsley
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a beautifully short, sweet and melancholy novel, speaking to the varying levels of grief – following the path of one woman, through her life, her loss and her coming to terms with everything that the universe throws at her.

We open with her alone on a mountain, cold, isolated – but how did she come to be there? What follows is a gorgeous and wonderfully layered portrait of Jane, what defines her, through childhood, adulthood, parenthood and a loss so terrible it is barely imaginable.

The
Andy Weston
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though this is the third of Houm’s novels it is the first to be translated into English (from Norwegian), and another good translation to be added to the Pushkin collection.
Jane Ashland (from the US) has thrown herself into finding her family roots in an effort to overcome her huge grief after a family tragedy. We know from the media summary that at the very start of the novel she emerges from a small tent, alone on a snowy mountain in the Norwegian wilderness, the mystery is, how she got there
Kirstie Ellen
Dec 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: general-fiction
Thanks to Allen & Unwin for sending me a copy of this in exchange for an honest review!

Initial Thoughts Upon Finishing
Well . . . this was really just not for me. The whole story felt entirely lacking in direction with confusing chapter after confusing chapter. Perhaps I missed the whole point, but I didn't find it a riveting nor interesting enough read to appreciate that maybe the way it was written was to reflect the internal thoughts and workings of Jane? I pushed through hoping for an int
Nikola
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-tysm
You can also find this review on my book blog.

I saw this book a while back on Twitter and what first struck me was its cover which looked so interesting. I came across this book again when I requested Only Killers and Thieves and then I took a closer look at it (read the synopsis) and was SOLD. Trust me, once you read the synopsis you’ll want to find out more about it!

The Gradual Dissappearance of Jane Ashland starts with a woman, who we learn is called Jane, who wakes up in a tent somewhere i
Thebooktrail
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
description

Visit the locations in the novel

They say beautiful things come in small packages and this is one of them. The cover and the setting of the story are very nicely drawn – an ethereal green cover, the setting of the Norwegian mountains, remote and raw.

The story however is one of darkness, grief, addiction and loss. Against such a stunning background, the trauma was even stronger and I found the mountains and landscape was actually one of Jane’s worst enemies after all. She is stuck there, without
Ken Fredette
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nicolai Houm has really taken a woman (Jane Ashland), who has been devastated by an accident involving her husband and daughter and took her from Wisconsin to Norway. She met Ulf on the flight to Norway and hooks up with him after she see's family in Norway. He's into researching musk ox and takes her with him into the Norwegian wilderness. All through the book it relates to Janes life and her choices at that specific time. When she's young and meets her husband, latter when they have their chil ...more
Amy-GallivantingPages
*** 3-3.5 Stars ***

Poor Jane Ashland is the best way I explain this story. When tragedy strikes writer, Jane Ashland, who is also an author with significant writers block, she leaves Wisconsin and the story begins with her waking alone in a tent in the Norwegian mountains. This is a very quick read and an extremely sad story explaining the grief Jane is dealing with. Overall it was a good read, but it was quite boring to me, which is why I rated it lower.

Many thanks to Netgalley and Tin House B
Mary
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, m, norway, translation
Nonlinear story of relentless grief from the POV of a woman named Jane. Memories of childhood, courtship, adult life and a slowly revealed tragedy at the center of the novel are intertwined with a trip to Norway to visit distant relatives and an impulsive trek with a zoologist met on the plane. Jane is not always a likeable character but is more real and unforgiving of herself in a way that makes her grief more realistic.
Platon P
The first time we see Jane Ashland, she is alone on top of a misty Norwegian mountain with very little equipment and no phone. Instead of trying to survive, she is thinking of the position her frozen body will have taken when the rescuers find her. Cut to a few days ago. Jane, an American fiction writer, is having several drinks on her flight to Norway, where she plans to explore her Norwegian ancestry. On the plane she meets Ulf, a Norwegian zoologist who is just returning from a period of obse ...more
Jackie Law
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Gradual Disappearance of Jane Ashland, by Nicolai Houm (translated by Anna Paterson), opens with a woman waking up in a tent believing she is going to die. Just a short time before she had flown to Norway to meet up with distant relatives. She has now been abandoned in a cold, lonely landscape; left without food, water or a map. The woman’s name is Jane Ashland and she struggles to relate to anyone, or to care much about their reactions to her behaviour.

The story moves around in time between
Erin Britton
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Waking up alone in a tent on a mountainside in Norway, Jane Ashland is freezing, exhausted, hungry, more than a little hungover, and convinced that she is about to die. In fact, she can quite clearly envisage the scene when would-be rescuers finally discover her blue, snow-covered corpse, and she’s more than a little tempted to strike a dramatic pose in anticipation of that eventual discovery. But then, what would people think she was attempting to achieve in those final moments before death?

“An
Thelastwordreview
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The story starts with a woman (Jane Ashland) waking up in a tent in the Norwegian mountains. Outside a storm is battering the bleak landscape and Jane believes she is about to die. The Gradual Disappearance of Jane Ashland by Nicolai Houm (translated by Anna Paterson) is a gripping and compelling story of a woman who flies to Norway to see relatives. But how did Jane Ashland get to be here and alone.

Jane has now found herself alone in a bleak landscape in a tent with no food or water, she has n
Neens Bea
Jeg er litt usikker på hva jeg egentlig synes om denne boken. Det er mye hopping i tid, noe jeg vanligvis ikke liker. Språket er en merkelig blanding av anglisismer og gammeldagse norske ord som passer bedre inn i en oversettelse av Agatha Christies bøker om Miss Marple. Resultatet er så forvirrende at jeg ble nødt til å sjekke om jeg leste boken på originalspråket eller ikke. (Det gjorde jeg.)

Til tross for de underlige ordvalgene er boken nokså fascinerende. Nesten fengslende. Den trekker deg
Dana Portwood
The gradual disappearance of Jane Ashland is a fluidly beautiful and complex novel. Starting much like a suspense thriller, the story unfold in pieces making the reader wait to find out what exactly happened to Jane. The answer is not at all what we expect, not a physical nightmare, but a mental and emotional nightmare of grief and anger from which Jane cannot escape.

The character of Jane is astoundingly complex. She is not a "likeable" character and yet she is deeply sympathetic. The reader mu
Cflack
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one started out slow for me, but it built slowly and deliberately into a very power portrait of grief and internal musings and pain. Jane Ashland is a woman who it takes us a while to understand, but as I write this I'm thinking maybe we really don't understand her. She is a woman still processing her grief and finds herself alone in a precarious situation.

The last quarter of this novel is just searing with personal pain and the writing is just devastating to read. A very power poignant por
Hannah Emory
Jun 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Unfortunately, I felt that this book was a waste of time for my purposes. I can see what Houm was attempting but I felt the story was not only anticlimactic but possibly, to coin a new term, "un-climactic." There were moments where the prose was going toward being poetic and saying something revealing but the plot fell short of the conviction and purpose I like to experience when reading a novel. The end was unsatisfying and I did not find it easy to be interested in Jane's plight. More, the tra ...more
EmmaWise
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Despite its relatively short length, The Gradual Disappearance of Jane Ashland packs it in; philosophy, the nature of grief and of love and maybe forgiveness, what it means to be a writer. But for me it’s the depiction of Norway, Houm’s home country, that fascinates. As well as the landscape that Jane literally and figuratively becomes lost in, the character of the nation is examined with a critical eye that can only belong to someone who hails from there. And on the fringes, the Eastern Europea ...more
Carol Peters
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Weak. A protag going through the toughest time of her life, no real-time story, no believable character, nothing but still images of grief.

For example, the protag spends most of her time drugged or drunk or both. That way she doesn't feel much. Nor does the reader.

Along with that, we get endless backstory that contributes almost nothing to the story.

There could have been a story here about how a woman who suffers a great loss goes on living, but the story's not told.
Amy
May 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
I almost didn't finish this one. I don't like Jane, I don't find the other characters particularly likable either. The back and forth from present to past feels choppy, and maybe the problem is I don't get enough of Jane's story early on in order to feel anything other than annoyed about her behavior.
Tom Scott
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane was self-destructive, unpredictable and out of control which didn't make her an especially likable character. Though I eventually understood how she ended up this way, it was still a bit hard to relate and have empathy for her. A quick and entertaining read, but a bit lightweight.
Claudia
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I generally liked this. Slim and gripping is a good description. You don't know what is actually motivating the main character until the end, although there are hints. The writing is very evocative of the northern landscape in which a good part of the book is set.
Carla
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Told in flashbacks. A slim book that didn't have the emotional impact I think I was looking for, or how advertised. Life, love, grief. I think I missed something. Will perhaps re-read at a later point, to see if it strikes me different.
Chris
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Haunting may be an overused phrase to describe books but really true here! Amazing writing. At the level of a classic I wish more of this author translated to English!!!
Billyf27
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short, but very emotional novel that lured me into the story. Bleak in parts and beautiful in others felt the pain and small bits of hope in this short book.
Jd
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, fiction, print
1/2
Wilde Sky
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it
A woman is deeply affected by a tragedy.

The writing was very good / hypnotic, but the pace of this book was very slow and the storyline was thin.
Christina Freeman
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I think the translation was lost a little and the story did not enfold in an exciting way
Ron Antonucci
Oct 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
dnf
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it
"An electric radiator next to her bed gave off a faint smell of the past being burned."
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Born in 1974, Nicolai Houm has published two novels, which were both critically acclaimed in Norway. The Gradual Disappearance of Jane Ashland is the first publication of his work in English. He works part time as an editor in the publishing house Cappelen Damm, and lives in Lier with his wife and daughter.