Start by marking “Pretty Pretty Boys (Hazard and Somerset, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pretty Pretty Boys (Hazard and Somerset, #1)

Pretty Pretty Boys

(Hazard and Somerset #1)

After Emery Hazard loses his job as a detective in Saint Louis, he heads back to his hometown--and to the local police force there. Home, though, brings no happy memories, and the ghosts of old pain are very much alive in Wahredua. Hazard’s new partner, John-Henry Somerset, had been one of the worst tormentors, and Hazard still wonders what Somerset’s role was in the death ...more
Published November 17th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Pretty Pretty Boys, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Pretty Pretty Boys (Hazard and Somerset, #1)
Shile
Buddy Read May 2019 with Moony and Teal

My rating remains 3.75, i still liked some parts and really disliked others.

Thank you Moony and Teal for the BR, i realized that i had formed a completely different story in my head, in relation to Somers marriage. Damn! the mind is an interesting thing. It can make you see what you want to see.

***************************************************
Oh boy! This was a toughy one. I loved some parts and I really disliked some parts.

This book will not be for
Martin
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Martin by: Adam
Thank you, Adam, for recommending this amazing series!

It literally blew me away. It's definitely one of those series where the main characters are so well constructed that they could read the phone book to you and you'd still be hooked.

My only criticism would be the fact that the editing was not complete here. Typos, missing words and wrong names in some places had me confused, but that did not distract from Somers and Hazard being a number one power couple that are playing in the major league
Line
FUCK! Dammit... Mothereffing shit!
*sigh* If you're easily offended, please cover your ears, close your eyes and ignore this one, because there will be swearing...
Lots and LOTS of swearing.
description
Gregory Ashe delivered one of my favourite reads this year, and those of you who know me, know that I am a fucking, grumpy, not-easily-satisfied, reader.
Mr. Big Empty was a masterpiece and if each book in that series had not had a price of around $9 I would have gobbled them up.
As it is I am spreading my
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
I dug it.

I dug it muchly.

Tristan James did a fantastic job varying the voices and delivering the lines with emotion.

The case held my attention.

I was entertained.

I can hardly ask for more than that EXCEPT! WHAT IN THE FRACKADOOZLE WENT DOWN IN THAT LOCKER ROOM????

I needz the deets!

So I've already jumped into the next one. Because I have the patience of a 5 yr old.

Recommend to mystery/thriller fans.
Wendy
3,5

I really enjoyed reading this one, but I have got to be honest here and say it also pissed me the fuck off !!!

Before I say anything more, let me inform you that this is not a romance...not yet anyway. As I have come to understand, the MC's don't even get together until much later in the series. That said...there was still plenty of sexual tension to choke on I got No steam though...just so you know https://www.google.com/search?q=emoticons

I myself am a big mystery/suspense fan and that is what this book is first and foremost.

This first book
Ariana
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ariana by: Katerina
*4,5 stars*

Absolutely brilliant.
Deeply complex characters, agonising issues, a gripping mystery plot, and amazing writing!

As many readers have stated, there is very little romance in the usual sense in this book, something that kept me from picking this up for quite a while. Please don’t make the same mistake.

The UST between these two guys is intense and crackling all the way. We get one kissing scene, which is not quite what it should be (you’ll see what I mean when you get there) and at the
Renée
4.5 stars!

I am truly blown away by the writing of this author. This story won't be for everyone, but it rocked my socks thoroughly.

Mainly a police procedural with murder mystery suspense plot, these two very imperfect MCs stole the show.

Important points to note:

- there is little romance in this one. The UST is there, but there is clearly more development in the subsequent books.

- there is a lot of hate speech, aimed at multiple minorities and privileged classes. The author does a great job
Moony Eliver
DNF @44%. Can’t. Tried… but can’t.

First of all, let me clarify that even though I know this has been a problem for some, I didn’t have an issue with the content. I can read any trope if it’s well-executed.

What I can’t deal with is unfocused, inconsistent, and just plain no-sense-making characterization. Who tf are these people? Almost every character seemed to have the emotional maturity of a 7-year-old, ready to meet any issue with their fists and then get hot and bothered by each other 2
Teal
I'm sending up the white flag. DNF @ 78%. I simply can't face another scene with Naomi. Not even skimming can get me through that. Please accept my surrender.

So, the good news: I like Gregory Ashe's writing style.

The bad news: Writing style alone is not enough to make a novel.

Characterization, plot, dialogue -- that's not a comprehensive list of what else needs to work well in order to make a novel, but it's a list of what failed for me in this one.

I'll limit myself to one example. I don't
MishyJo
5 stars. Best thing I’ve read/listened to in a long time, even though the romance I expect will happen eventually hasn’t yet. On to book 2.
Erth
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 - Pretty Pretty Boys is very good, first in a series that I’m looking forward to reading. A slow-burn mystery with lots of twists and turns, and a gut wrenching tug of war love-story unlike the typical tropes, yet searing without all the heat. Far more mystery and sleuthing than romance, but the relationship between Somers and Hazard is beautifully complicated, and worth the read!
Kaje Harper
This is an interesting mystery series with a gay cop and his (probably, closeted) bi partner. Deeply enemies-to-lovers, as Somerset tormented and abused Hazard when they were both in high school (while fighting an attraction to him.) The plot is convoluted, and there is a lot of backstory for both these guys that gets deeply in the way of solving the crime.

At the end of the book, there is a case resolution, but very little has resolved in the relationship of the MCs. And I want to note a caveat
Ele
*4.5 stars*

Was I living under a rock? Who is this author? Have I found a new favorite series? What is even happening.
LenaRibka
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to LenaRibka by: Katerina

I am not sure what I think about the series. But the first book was already promising. Probably I could say more when I'll finish the second sequel. The mystery part was not as good as the personal relationship between the MCs. What I know for sure at the very moment - I want to read and to know more about Hazard and Somerset.

Detective Emery Hazard returns to his home town from the Saint Louis police department. Something bad happened back in Saint Louis - what exactly it was, we will never know
~Mindy Lynn~
4.5 Stars!

I can't believe I started a series completely blind by the fact this wasn't a romance. I also can't believe I enjoyed it so much and that all the angst didn't kill me. It is frustrating, no doubt. I also cheated a bit and read some reviews which I usually wait until I've finished the book I'm reading before I do to see when these guys hook up. OMFG the wait. But with all the undertones of attraction and the small bits of lust this author lets us have between these two men definitely
Annery
This is one of those series I've seen popping up with regularity in my feed, I've added to my TBR, and owned a few installments for a while. Why the procrastination in the reading? No clue, but I'm glad I've waited until it's finished.

If you're a romance reader, with expectations of HEA or even HFN, this isn't for you. In fact marketing this as an MM romance is a disservice to all involved. Luckily it lands squarely in my wheelhouse and I loved it, probably, for many of the reasons it won't work
⚣Michaelle⚣
4.25 Stars

So, I probably should have read some of the reviews on this book because I was not really in the mood for Real Life at the moment (with the rampant homophobia, xenophobia and racism spouted - and systematically propped up/ingrained - by the white supremacist group), and so much of what happens here (or occurred prior to the story) is hard to read/listen to. But, then again, the best stories (IMHO) draw from reality and endeavor to make things better for the characters.

And that's
DarienMoya
A Summary: Grumpy city cop moves back to his homophobic small town which caused him nothing but pain in the past. He also partners up with one of his high-school bullies and he might or might not wanna bend said partner over a flat surface. They solve crimes and shit…

The Story: 4.5 Pants Off

Can I just say how much I loved this book Hazard and Somers came in like a wrecking ball to my heart and I’ll now die for them. Pretty Pretty Boys is the greatest introduction to two of the best assholes
Kathleen
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it
There were things I liked about this first-in-series story. The core story was very good and how could you not like Somers. But what I didn't like stuck out like a sore thumb: Hazard's constant juvenile, adolescent reaction to... just about everything. How does a person like this have a career in law enforcement? His interaction with his chief, other officers, Somers, and the general public was simply unbelievable.

Another thing that irked me no end (and won't be of interest to most readers) was
Debra
These guys sure put the intriguing in dysfunction. I mean the list of issues they have, both as individuals and as partners on the job - and potentially as a future couple/friends with benefits/fuckbuddies - are astounding.

This is not a romance - at least not yet. The mystery kept me guessing as to just what was going on. I was troubled by some things in the end, but there are also some loose ends that appear will be an overarching plotline so I'm not going to worry too much about that at the
Christelle
Review from book#1 to book#5

PS : **Thank you “Impatient Elf”, aka Lisa, aka “the out-of-control Elf”** for gifting me “Pretty, Pretty boys” : that was a great read !!!
Lisazj1
Dammit!! *sigh* That did not go the way I wanted it to. I’m not sure I can take however many books of Hazard and Somers twisting me up like that.

*double sigh* Well, I did ask for it, didn’t I? Dammit.

Despite the personal angst, thanks again to my wonderful personal elf last year, aka Isaiah for the great story!

*****

Thank you so much to my personal elf for the wonderful present!! This one sounds delicious! <3
Sofia
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well Ashe has decided for a long and probably torturous road for these two. I better take a long breath and prepare
myself for the journey.

A good mix of crime, mystery and personal.

Wahredua

Laxmama
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
First book by this author for me which then got me started on to his other series. This one has me interested the whole book and I am looking forward to book 2, there was an interesting mystery, tons of backstory between the MC’s. The writing is well done - for me an overall great read. What I most enjoyed is I feel like lately all I see is so much of the same old same old books- everything about this was different - but well done.
Katerina
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you just need luck. Luck - to discover something really precious and just to take it. You never know what to expect. But I had such a feeling, a premonition.... and then .... I dipped in and I lost myself completely. I loved it, LOVED it so much. I'm head over heels in love with Hazard and Somerset. My goodness.... I'm so glad that was just the beginning.

Pretty Pretty Boys was an absolutely phenomenal surprise. I am so happy to have discovered Greogory Ashe. An extremely entertaining
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Well...

Competent writing, but the romance aspect depressed the hell outta me, and there were several typographical errors that any halfway decent editor could spot a mile away. Also, the term "all the sudden" which never fails to make my eye twitch with rage.

But seriously, I'm bummed...mostly because my expectations about how this would pan out were vastly different from what actually happened. If you're looking for a law enforcement romance, do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.
Jewel
3.5 Stars

Some editing issues and the story dragged in places, but all in all, I liked it.
Chris
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: military-crime, lgbtq
I’m not sure how I feel about this book- it was one very long attempt at foreplay ! There were SO many mixed emotion in this book. Hazard & Somers were both messed up, like two sides of a coin. Subconscious desire, conscious anger and frustration. Let’s see if book 2 finally brings the heat ? I have a feeling this is a slow burn series
Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~
All the tropes I hate in one book!

(view spoiler)

I'll pass and keep my sanity.
Ulysses Dietz
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pretty Pretty Boys (Hazard and Somerset #1)
By Gregory Ashe
Published by the author, 2017
Five stars

I finally caved and bought the first of the Hazard & Somerset mysteries by Gregory Ashe. Good choice. Tightly written, with a page-turning plot that ratchets up the tension, and focused on two complicated, messed-up men: what more could one ask?

This is not a romance; but, you see, it is very romantic, like Wuthering Heights romantic. I forget how much I like that. I don’t need hearts and roses;

• Tallowwood
  • A Chip and a Chair (Seven of Spades, #5)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • One-Eyed Royals (Seven of Spades, #4)
  • The Monuments Men Murders (The Art of Murder #4)
  • Cash Plays (Seven of Spades, #3)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
  • Trick Roller (Seven of Spades, #2)
  • Mainly by Moonlight (Bedknobs and Broomsticks, #1)
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • What Lies Beneath (Lancaster Falls Trilogy, #1)
  • Kill Game (Seven of Spades, #1)
  • Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case (Jon's Mysteries, #1)
  • Prince of Killers (Fog City, #1)
I'm a long-time Midwesterner. I've lived in Chicago, Bloomington (IN), and Saint Louis, my current home. Aside from reading and writing (which take up a lot of my time), I'm an educator.

While I enjoy reading across many genres, my two main loves are mystery and speculative fiction. I used to keep a list of favorite books, but it changes so frequently that I've given up. I'm always looking for

Hazard and Somerset (6 books)
  • Transposition (Hazard and Somerset, #2)
  • Paternity Case (Hazard and Somerset #3)
  • Guilt by Association (Hazard and Somerset, #4)
  • Reasonable Doubt (Hazard and Somerset #5)
  • Criminal Past (Hazard and Somerset #6)