Start by marking “The Prisoner in the Castle (Maggie Hope Mystery #8)” as Want to Read:
The Prisoner in the Castle (Maggie Hope Mystery #8)

The Prisoner in the Castle

(Maggie Hope Mystery #8)

American-born spy and code-breaker extraordinaire Maggie Hope must solve a baffling series of murders among a group of captive agents on an isolated Scottish island as the acclaimed World War II mystery series from New York Times bestselling author Susan Elia MacNeal continues.

Maggie Hope is being held prisoner on a remote Scottish island with other SOE agents who know too
Published August 7th 2018 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about The Prisoner in the Castle, please sign up.
Susan MacNeal Hi Phyllis. Thank you for your question. I think it would be more enjoyable to read the series in order to see character development — but each one…moreHi Phyllis. Thank you for your question. I think it would be more enjoyable to read the series in order to see character development — but each one can be read independently for the mystery. It's up to you!(less)
Meredith I would recommend it. Character development changes significantly over the books. And some plot points from earlier books come up often. You'll either…moreI would recommend it. Character development changes significantly over the books. And some plot points from earlier books come up often. You'll either be lost or spoil the ending of an earlier book.(less)

Julie
The Prisoner in the Castle by Susan Elia MacNeal is a 2018 Bantam publication.

A classic ‘locked room’ mystery in a house full of spies!!

I will confess this installment in the Maggie Hope series was not at all what I was expecting. However, I found it was a nice change of pace after enduring some gut-wrenching emotional punches in the last few chapters of the series.

If you like golden age or ‘locked room’ mysteries, Ala Agatha Christie’s ‘And Then There Were None’, you will love this one.

The s
Jenny
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it

The Prisoner in the Castle is the eighth and latest installment in the Maggie Hope series and author Susan Elia MacNeal has given us a compelling, captivating and cerebral tale.
World War II British secret agent, Maggie Hope, finds herself banished to the remote Scottish island, Scarra, with other SOE agents. MacNeal’s attention to detail in her description of the remote island and the castle that Maggie and the others inhabit is superb and fascinating. She gives the reader a real feel of what e
Liz
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley

I wouldn’t normally jump into a series on book 8. But a friend of mine has enjoyed this series and I got a chance to review this book through netgalley, so jump I did.

I was expecting more of a spy novel, but this is really a cozy mystery in the vein of Agatha Christie. Maggie Hope is back from a spy mission and has been sent to a remote Scottish island, a sort of cooling off, almost prison type place for spies with issues. And then one, by one, the dead bodies start piling up. But despite how q
Jenny
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Prisioner in the Castle is the eighth and latest installment in the Maggie Hope series and author Susan Elia MacNeal has given us a compelling, captivating and cerebral tale.
Cindy Burnett
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing

The Prisoner in the Castle is the 8th Maggie Hope mystery and is an excellent addition to the series. In a departure from her earlier novels, MacNeal utilizes Agatha Christie’s classic And Then There Were None strategy of eliminating characters one by one while the remaining individuals race to determine who the murderer is. As the book opens, Maggie and various other SOE agents are being held prisoner on the Isle of Scarra off the coast of Scotland; each agent has some knowledge or iss
leslie hamod
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great read reminiscent of Agatha Christie in it's read. I found that members of the EOC of England during the war, who had committed an offence in which they were no longer considered usable during WWII, we're held prisoner. The site in the book is imaginary, but has a history all its own.. Prisoners were forbidden from any outside contact, including radio, newspaper, or any mail incoming or out going.
These sorry prisoners were kept in complete isolation. I cannot quote from the book, as it i
Sahitya
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maggie is a brave, educated, strong young woman who I have come to love through the series. The ending of The Paris Spy was an unexpected cliffhanger and I was eagerly waiting for this installment, but unfortunately this was a disappointment.
Nothing really happens on the Island of Scarra where all these agents are isolated and imprisoned. They start getting killed off one by one but and I thought Maggie would get an opportunity to investigate and find the killer, but that’s not what happened. Wh
Susan Johnson
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
The eighth story in this series owes a big tip of the hat to Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None. Set during WWII, Maggie Hope, is a secret agent for the British. She's just back from a dangerous mission when she is reassigned for special training on a very remote island in Scotland. Only when she arrives she discovers it's a cooling off place for agents that the government has deemed are too dangerous to use on missions or mix with the general public.

There are quite a few agents (8-10)
Pam Jenoff
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the latest in a series, so if you haven't read the others you should start with the first. I love the the Maggie Hope mysteries, about a woman who is a soy for Britain during World War 2 who also gets caught up in murder mysteries. Here, Maggie is detained on a remote Scottish island because she knows too much when other prisoners start being killed. Maggie has to rely on her wits and skills to find the killer before becoming his or her next victim. Really well researched and written and ...more
Molly
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it
THE PRISONER IN THE CASTLE

The Prisoner in the Castle is a very enjoyable murder mystery set on the island Scarra off the Western coast of Scotland. British SOE agents, each fully trained to kill, are being kept there against their will for the duration of WWII due to a variety of secretive reasons. They start to die mysteriously one by one and tensions heighten with suspicions of one another.

They are held in Killoch Castle, medieval in design and decorated with way too many taxidermic prizes. A
Karen ⊰✿
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wheelathon3
Maggie Hope has been to a small island off the coast of Scotland which the SOE calls their "cooler". Basically any of their agents who have information that would be of benefit to the Germans, where the SOE isn't convinced of their ability to keep those secrets, are sent here.
There is a large castle on the island and all the SOE agents spend their days hunting, fishing, drinking and... well...spending quality time together ;)
The problem is, that the agents start being killed. One by one. And so
Cara Putman
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this latest installment in the Maggie Hope series. It has a gothic feel colliding with a Murder on the Orient Express vibe as Maggie is trapped in a castle with a lurid history. One by one the people on the island with her are murdered, and the remaining inmates are further secluded by a storm that prevents anyone from reaching them. Those on the island are all unique individuals, and I thought I had the culprit figured out twice, only to have scatted by the real antagonist. ...more
Geonn Cannon
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
An excellent mystery, in the style of (ugh, I hate that phrase, but it really is applicable here) Agatha Christie mysteries. I didn't realize it was part of a series until I started reading. Some of it might have been better having read all the previous books (obviously) but it didn't affect the overall enjoyment of the story.

Received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Literary Soirée
I’ve been anxiously awaiting news of Maggie Hope, WWII secret agent for the British, after we were left hanging in THE PARIS SPY. Thankfully, the newest chapter in this beloved series by Susan Elia MacNeal is as thrilling as thrilling can be!

In an ever so polished nod to the Grand Dame of Mystery, this harrowing tale finds Maggie confined to a remote Scottish Island with other agents who are knocked off ... one by one ... in some quite spectacular ways.

And oh my is our favorite spy in a jam! A t
May 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ugh, nothing happened in this book. The main character wasn't integral to the plot at all, she was merely the vehicle through which we watched the story. She didn't find the bad guy, she didn't do a good job protecting her fellows, and she didn't [spoiler alert] even take down the bad guy on her own: he met his demise accidentally while she was trying to escape. This character is a strong, educated, brave woman when she's the leading lady; this book wasn't about her at all.

I keep reading these b
Paul
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
The country-manor murders- ‘And Then Their Were None’ plot diverts enough for this one stand on its own. And if you’ve already been reading the Hope books, I think The Prisoner in the Castle will advance the series nicely.

Full review here: http://paulspicks.blog/2018/06/26/the...

All my reviews can be found on my blog: https://paulspicks.blog
Literary Soirée
KEEPS YOU THRILLINGLY CAPTIVE!

I’ve been anxiously awaiting news of Maggie Hope, WWII secret agent for the British, after we were left hanging in THE PARIS SPY. Thankfully, this eighth book in the beloved series by Susan Elia MacNeal is as thrilling as thrilling can be!

At the end of THE PARIS SPY, Maggie is arrested for refusing to assume a role that could lead to her fellow agents’ deaths. Our favorite spy is imperiled by the very guys who are supposed to be good!

Now, in an ever so polished nod
Linda Zagon
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
My Review of “The Prisoner in the Castle” by Susan Elia MacNeal, Random House Publishing Group, Ballantine, August 7, 2018

Susan Elia MacNeal, Author of “The Prisoner in the Castle” has written an intriguing, captivating, suspenseful, riveting novel. The Genres for this Novel are Fiction, Mystery, Thriller, Suspense, with a touch of Historical Fiction. This is the eighth Maggie Hope novel in the mystery series, but can be read as a stand alone. The author describes her colorful cast of characters
Trina
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-2000
Maggie Hope is back! The Prisoner in the Castle is the next installment in the Maggie Hope Mystery series. I have read many books in the Maggie Hope series and really enjoyed them.

Throughout her travels, Maggie Hope has acquired a lot of knowledge (among other things) and it’s this collection of knowledge that makes her a threat some believe. It's these beliefs which have landed Maggie imprisoned in Killoch Castle on a remote Scottish island.

In The Prisoner in the Castle, Maggie Hope faces one
eyes.2c
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it
An inescapable island dooms all!

Maggie Hope finds herself in a dire situation in friendly territory. Sequested on the remote Scottish island of Scara (aka 'the cooler' and the 'Forbidden Island') by the Special Operations Executive for nebulous reasons, along with other rogue agents, things take a sinister turn. Meanwhile Maggie's friends think she's on another mission. No one is aware of Maggie's incarceration. No one is looking for her, until Maggie's needed as a witness for a court case, and
Kate Baxter
Yet another masterful work in the Maggie Hope Mystery series. Where previous books in the series are perhaps more action driven, the suspense in this story is more cerebral in nature. That is until the book draws near to the end, where the action accelerates, the scenes change quickly and it all draws to a pulse-pounding conclusion.

The British agents, all broken goods in each own's way, banished to a remote Scottish island are dropping like flies. Surely, none among them could be the murderer,
Chrysta
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is another wonderful installment in the Maggie Hope series!

Maggie has been imprisoned on a remote Scottish island due to her knowledge of important war time happenings. She’s not the only one either. Other prisoners are there for similar reasons. Either knowing to much or being a threat to the war effort.

Soon after another prisoner arrives on the island, murders begins to happen. First only seeming to be strange coincidences but as the numbers rise it seems there is a Nazi spy in thei
Gail
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
When looking for inspiration, one could hardly do better than Dame Agatha Christie, which is exactly what author Susan Elia MacNeal has done. Her latest entry in the World War II era Maggie Hope series has looked to Christie's And Then There Were None for The Prisoner in the Castle's plot. MacNeal even gives Christie's work a nod (under its original title) with Maggie referencing it.

In this incarnation of the classic plot, Maggie and other British agents have been exiled to a Scottish island, ea
Liz
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always enjoy a Maggie Hope story and this one was no exception. Thank you Net Galley for allowing me the opportunity to read this book before it is published. The only downside to this good fortune is the wait will seem even longer for the next one in the series to come out. Maggie, our heroine in these stories, is a strong character and author MacNeal stays true to her character through out the series. I like how the book is laden with information about WWII and England's involvement in it from ...more
Suellen
An Agatha Christie type mystery set on a Scottish island during WWII. The heroine in this series is Maggie Hope an SOE agent who is being held captive along with other captured agents. Maggie has to figure out who is picking off agents one-by-one before she becomes the next victim. This is the 8th book in the series. Rated: 3/5

Advance Reading Copy disclosure:
I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the conte
Leslie
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Compelling WWII fiction, full of atmosphere, spies, and mystery. I've read #1 and now #8, and I have gotten myself into a dilemma, because I NEED to read everything in between to see how Maggie got to the mess at Scarra Island (so many books, so little time). I appreciate the background research that the author weaves into her story, and she keeps this series fresh by changing the scene and creating imaginative plots. Excellent mystery series.
Mary
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
DNF. Really bad rewrite of Agatha Christie’s Ten Little Indians. All the characters are trained spies yet none of them seem to be able to investigate, take preventative measures, protect themselves or spot the murderer. So they just wander off in their own directions so that they can easily be killed. So pathetic I couldn’t even finish.
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
I received an advance copy of this Maggie Hope mystery, and loved it. Suspense, good mystery plot, great catch-up with characters from previous stories and well-developed new characters. Completely appropriate and satisfying ending. Maggie Hope fans will love this one.
Kathy
The Prisoner in the Castle is the eighth book in the Maggie Hope historical mystery series, set during WWII in Great Britain, and it is a thrilling tale of suspenseful trepidation. The author’s tight control of the tension and plot allows a myriad of possibilities to engage the reader and avoid frustration. It is a story that keeps the reader on the edge of his seat and turning the pages as quickly as possible to find out who the cat among the pigeons is. The cast of characters that MacNeal intr ...more
Linda Zagon
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Anna O'Malley 1 7 Aug 18, 2018 11:41AM
  • An Act of Villainy (Amory Ames Mystery #5)
  • To Die but Once (Maisie Dobbs, #14)
  • Four Funerals and Maybe a Wedding (Her Royal Spyness #12)
  • A Casualty of War (Bess Crawford, #9)
  • A Purely Private Matter (Rosalind Thorne Mysteries, #2)
  • This Side of Murder (Verity Kent, #1)
  • Dandy Gilver & A Deadly Measure of Brimstone (Dandy Gilver #8)
  • Uneasy Lies the Crown (Lady Emily #13)
  • The White Ghost (Billy Boyle World War II, #10)
  • A Front Page Affair (Kitty Weeks Mystery, #1)
Susan Elia MacNeal is the author of The New York Times, Washington Post, Publishers Weekly and USA Today-bestselling Maggie Hope mystery series, starting with the Edgar Award-nominated and Barry Award-winning MR. CHURCHILL'S SECRETARY, which is now in its 22nd printing. She is currently at work on THE PRISONER IN THE CASTLE, the eighth novel in the series, scheduled to be published 8/7/2018.

Her bo

Maggie Hope Mystery (8 books)
  • Mr. Churchill's Secretary (Maggie Hope Mystery, #1)
  • Princess Elizabeth's Spy (Maggie Hope Mystery, #2)
  • His Majesty's Hope (Maggie Hope Mystery, #3)
  • The Prime Minister's Secret Agent (Maggie Hope, #4)
  • Mrs. Roosevelt’s Confidante (Maggie Hope Mystery, #5)
  • The Queen's Accomplice (Maggie Hope Mystery #6)
  • The Paris Spy (Maggie Hope Mystery #7)
“If you’re poor, they call you crazy. But if you’re rich, you’re ‘eccentric.” 2 likes
“Loose lips sink ships” 1 likes