Start by marking “You Were Gone (David Raker, #9)” as Want to Read:
You Were Gone (David Raker, #9)

You Were Gone

(David Raker #9)

Three days after Christmas, a woman walks into a police station. She has no phone and no ID, just a piece of paper with the name of investigator David Raker on it. She tells officers that Raker is her husband.

SHE SAYS SHE'S MY WIFE.

When he turns up at the station, Raker is stunned. The woman looks exactly like his wife. She knows all about their marriage, their history, ev
Published May 17th 2018 by Michael Joseph

To ask other readers questions about You Were Gone, please sign up.
Ashleigh Absolutely - you don't need to have read previous books in the David Raker series :) they are stand alone stories. …moreAbsolutely - you don't need to have read previous books in the David Raker series :) they are stand alone stories. (less)

Start your review of You Were Gone (David Raker, #9)
Liz Barnsley
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh this book.

I love the Raker series – I tell anyone that listens that it is the best crime series out there that doesn’t involve Charlie Parker, how great it is to have a very different and highly engaging main protagonist and how each book gets better than the last with the twistiest plots, the most emotionally traumatic rollercoaster moments and well just really really good. Every time I read them so fast I can’t even think about anything else until I’m done because that’s how they get you. T
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
Extract-You-Were-Gone-Tim-Weaver2

5 Stars
Arc Book Review
Release Date-17/5/18

I really loved You Were Gone (David Raker #9) like so much more than I was originally expecting, but had absolutely no bloody idea it was part of an ongoing series; no matter this can totally be read as a standalone no issues whatsoever.
So this was a mind-Eff of epic proportions and I couldn't put it down such an engrossing read this was.
This had me second guessing along with Raker everything I thought I knew to be true.
Could it be true? was David losing
Emma
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tim Weaver's David Raker series should get a badge saying 'Guaranteed Good Time'. As an investigator of missing people, he gets himself involved in the kinds of bizarre situations and investigations that police officials just can't deal with. However, the problem this time isn't the missing, it's the returned- his wife, dead the last 8 years, is back and demanding to see him.

Thankfully, she's not a zombie. But someone here is crazy and even though we've been with Raker for 8 books now, you stil
Tasha Mahoney
I chose to read this book without knowing it was #9 in the series about investigator David Raker. I can happily report that it worked fine as a standalone, however I now want to buy and binge read the first 8 books in this series while eagerly anticipating the 10th!

This book had me completely engrossed from the first chapter and that only increased with every page that I turned. I couldn’t wait to unravel this intricate, exciting heartbreaking, hugely suspense filled mystery but at the same time
Ken
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t like starting book series midway through.
So I was quite surprised to find that this was the ninth in a series when logging it as reading on goodreads, as their was no indication that this was the case on the cover.
(I guess I’m answering my own question, as I wouldn’t have brought this title with an intriguing premise if I had known otherwise...)

I’m not sure how much of the previous eight novels and subsequent story arc’s I’d spoiled, but after the initial confusion I soon slipped into t
Ova - Excuse My Reading
I felt a little bit lost in start, unsure if it's because I didn't read the other books or because the subject was quite foggy itself. But this was still a good read.

David Raker's wife is dead, and has been dead for 8 years. But one day a woman walks into a police station claiming she's his wife and she is not dead! She claims David is ill and has black-outs. David thinks she is a liar. But she resembles his dead wife so much...

So it turns into a tense WHO IS LYING game and although I skim-read
Dale Harcombe
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After her battle with cancer David Raker buried his wife, Derryn, eight years earlier. But then a woman turns up at a police station with no identification, just a piece of paper with David Raker’s name on it. What’s more, she claims to be David’s wife. She looks like Derryn, and knows things only Derryn and David would know. What is going on? Who is the mystery woman? David cannot believe she is Derryn. Derryn, the love of his life, is dead. Isn’t she? The police are suspicious of David, more s ...more
Christine
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There are some crime authors who give their protagonists a little bit of background horror. A spot of childhood trauma. A psychotic sibling. An inability to connect to others. A paper cut or two. They suffer. Tim Weaver takes it all to a whole new level. He doesn’t just make David Raker suffer. He turns him inside out, upside down and psychologically smacks him in the mouth. Pure agony. Well done, Mr Weaver.

You Were Gone marks the ninth instalment, in this intelligent psychological missing perso
Gary
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the 9th book in the David Raker series by author Tim Weaver.
I was only recently introduced to the Tim Weaver books and have found them great reading, in fact before finishing this one I had already placed an order for 2 more books to fill in a few of my gaps in the series.
This is another excellent addition to the series and had me wondering do I really know the lead character David Raker. A woman walks into a police station with no identification and only a piece of paper with the name o
Siobhan
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m a big fan of Tim Weaver’s David Raker series, but it is safe to say none of the prior books had me as eager as this one. Although You Were Gone can be enjoyed as a standalone novel, it certainly hits harder if you’ve read the prior books in the series. You see, one of the things I love most about David Raker is his commitment to his wife. With the twists thrown at us throughout You Were Gone, I was hooked.

As always, Tim Weaver delivers a gripping story. The book is filled with twists and tur
Nigel
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Briefly - Extremely powerful - I would probably argue that this is the best David Raker book so far.

In full
You Were Gone starts with a great opening. David Raker's wife - dead for 8 years - apparently arrives at a London police station. She insist the police get hold of David Raker. I've read all of Tim Weaver's series of book on David Raker and I would advise anyone starting reading them to start with a much earlier book. However those who are fans will know just how affected by Derryn's death
Book Addict Shaun
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. What an absolutely twisted read. You Were Gone is the ninth David Raker story and sometimes an author can begin to waver a little when they have written about the same character for so long. Tim Weaver is not one of those authors. If only for the emotional response this story drew from me, You Were Gone might be Tim’s best book yet.

In not wanting to give away too much of the plot, I will say nothing other than that everything we know and understand about Raker from the past eight books has
Mark
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Where to start!!
You lose your wife to cancer 8 years ago.....you grieve and are still grieving....you are away at family for Christmas when you receive a call.....your wife has just stumbled into Charing Cross Police Station saying who she is and asking to see you.........you drive there, mind everywhere, emotions on full throttle as well as the car.....you are placed in a room where you are shown a cctv camera of your wife in the next room......you fully expect to see someone you don’t know...a
Michelle
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have read a few of Tim weaver’s books so when I saw this on NetGalley and jumped at the chance to read it. The first thing I like about David Raker series as, even though it’s part of a series you can still read it as a standalone.
David Raker is a Missing Persons Investigator, quite an unorthodox one, but a good one. He never got over the death of his wife who died 8 years previously with cancer. So when David gets a call 3 days after Christmas that a woman has turned up at a Police station c
John
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-thriller
A compelling read - I know I sound like a strap line writer, but it is the best way of describing this excellent thriller. Every time I picked it up, I found it hard to put down. It is not at all like the other David Raker books in many ways, but it like them in that the plotting is intricate and, above all, believable. It twists and turns and keeps you intrigued - brilliant!
Rob Twinem
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Tim Weaver is an author whose work I really enjoy. His writing is precise reminiscent of storytelling from a bygone era, at times displaying shades of Agatha Christie but with a modern feel. The central character in his novels is David Raker, an investigator who markets himself as a locator of lost persons, those individuals who for their own personal reasons wish to disappear....or do they? Weaver uses real and imagined locations throughout London often creating a haunted or sinister backdrop a ...more
Katie
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I couldn’t put this book down. It gripped me from the beginning, was full of suspense and had many twists and turns right up to the very end. I liked that the chapters were short and easy to read as it allowed me to get through a fair few at a time. The main story like was unique and a breath of fresh air, as sometimes story lines are repeated that much it’s a bit like de ja vu. The only reason that it wasn’t a five was purely down to the irritation I had that the police didn’t visit Derryn’s gr ...more
Voluntarystress
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Wow ! I couldn’t believe that I was being offered an ARC of “You Were Gone“, the latest David Raker book by Tim Weaver. Huge thanks to Netgalley.. I’ve mentioned this so that it’s understood that I’m very biased. Ever since I was sent a paperback version of his third book and was blown away and quickly caught up with the previous editions, I haven’t missed one . Tim Weaver has to be one of the best British thriller writers around today. But his latest offering turned out to be, for me, a huge di ...more
Maggie
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had read one previous book featuring David Raker and enjoyed it, but I hadn't read the whole series. However this sounded interesting and I hoped that not having read the whole of the series wouldn't matter. It didn't. I suppose if I'd read the series in order I might have a bit more insight to the character but it's hard to imagine enjoying it even more than I did. It certainly stands up perfectly as as a 'stand-alone'.

David Raker finds people. He has been in many a tight spot but is single m
Pat (not getting friend updates currently)
This is one I read recently. It is the ninth book in the David Raker series, I have read them all and given most five stars. They are that good, just addictive. The books are all very clever with twisty plots and suspense on steroids!

This one was a bit different. Raker is called to the police station. A confused sounding woman is claiming to be Derryn Raker, David's wife. Only Derryn died eight years ago from breast cancer. Sure, the woman has a strong resemblance to Derryn but there are subtle
Julie Lacey
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first David Raker book that I’ve read and whilst it worked as a standalone, I did feel like I was missing out on what happened in his past.
This didn’t affect my enjoyment of the story and I can honestly say this was a real puzzler for me. I was really torn at several points in the book about whether or not he was losing his mind or whether someone was manipulating his life.
When David is called to the Police station as he has been asked for by name, by a woman claiming to be his wif
Julia
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book confused me multiple times but then I guess it was supposed to! Lots of twists and turns - I didn’t know which way it was going and didn’t guess anything either before it happened, which I have done frequently with other books. A great read.
Abby Slater- Fairbrother
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have to say, I am a huge fan of Tim Weaver and the David Raker series. I think this is the best one yet!!!!!
The case has to be the most personal and we learn the most intimate details of Raker and his life with his now deceased wife (or is she?) Derryn. The twists and turns kept me guessing and at one point, I decided I didn’t even trust Raker anymore!!!!!
There is a brilliant bread crumb trail of clues, cleverly woven through each chapter of the novel. I was engrossed and stayed up until 4am
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Netgalley and Penguin UK for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Let me take you back to Christmas 2017. My boyfriend got me an amazon gift card so I could buy a bunch of books for my kindle, since I am quite the avid reader.
I was browsing the website looking for a new series to dig my teeth into and I stumbled upon the David Raker series. I read a couple of descriptions, some reviews and decided to buy the entire series in one go.

I started reading straight away
Carol Peace
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
This book introduced me to Davis Raker, I hadn't realised there were other books but it didn't spoil my enjoyment. A woman walks into a police station and says she is lost and her name is Derryn and she was asking for David, when thy contacted him he was very confused as his wife Derryn died 8 years ago and when he gets to the station he is shown the woman on cctv from another room. He fully expected to be able to say that this woman was nothing like Derryn and she was obviously mistaken but to ...more
Claire Wilson
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I would have enjoyed this book more had I not picked up the 9th in the series instead of the first, which is entirely my fault. I felt like I couldn't get into the story. But thank god I stuck with it because it got good. A woman walks into a Police station and claims to be the dead wife of an Investigator who buried his wife years before. Who are we supposed to believe? 3 stars ...more
Michelle Belcher
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this one! What a page turner. Having read all of the other books in the David Raker series ive grown to love this flawed yet brilliant man. I really felt for him as he battled with the re-appearance of his 'wife'. This series just get better and better! Honestly didn't want it to end. This author leaves you wanting more and more and more. ...more
Grace J Reviewerlady
Having read an earlier book by this author, I thought I was prepared for this one. Not a chance! This is an intense, remarkable, spectacular thriller - twists and turns galore - and completely flabbergasting!

David Raker is a former journalist who now locates missing persons. He has a penchant for digging his heels in and not giving up and going wherever the case takes him. This time, however, it's a bit different. This time it's personal - and then some. His wife died eight years ago and yet she
Lynne
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
David Raker cannot believe his eyes when a woman walks into a police station in London claiming to be his wife Derryn. Bearing an uncanny resemblance to Derryn and knowing personal information about their marriage and life together, how could this not be her? Yet David nursed Derryn through the final stages of terminal cancer, buried her and grieved for her. Determined to prove this woman a fraud, David unearths a whole can worms. What he discovers sends shockwaves through his core.

What a wonder
Jane Hunt
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
'You Were Gone' is chilling, sinister and all the more terrifying because it's believable. Raker doubts his sanity, and he's not alone. Is the woman claiming to be his beloved wife her and how can she be when she died?
Raker still grieves his wife, and it's this vulnerability that makes this thriller work. Circumstances conspire to make him doubt everything he has built his life on since Derryn's death.

The story is told from Raker's point of view with additional scenes from the antagonist's poin

• When They Find Her
  • Look What You Made Me Do
  • Mother
  • Blood Orange
  • Just Like the Other Girls
Tim Weaver is the bestselling author of the David Raker missing persons series and the standalone thriller, Missing Pieces. His novels have twice been selected for the Richard and Judy Book Club, and his work has been nominated for a National Book Award. A former journalist and magazine editor, he lives near Bath with his wife and daughter. Find out more about Tim and his writing at www.timweaverb ...more

David Raker (10 books)
  • Chasing the Dead (David Raker, #1)
  • The Dead Tracks (David Raker, #2)
  • Vanished (David Raker, #3)
  • Never Coming Back (David Raker, #4)
  • Fall From Grace (David Raker #5)
  • What Remains  (David Raker, #6)
  • Broken Heart (David Raker, #7)
  • I Am Missing (David Raker, #8)
  • No One Home (David Raker #10)