Start by marking “Serena: The Littlest Sister” as Want to Read:
Serena: The Littlest Sister

Serena: The Littlest Sister

Before Serena Williams became one of the biggest names in sports, she was the littlest of five girls in her family. While sharing a room and playing tennis with her older sisters, Serena had to figure out how to be her own person—on and off the court. This empowering biography showcases the rise of the youngest Williams sister and how her family played a part in her path t ...more
Published May 20th 2019 by Page Street Kids

To ask other readers questions about Serena, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Serena

Start your review of Serena: The Littlest Sister
Mia
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
2nd-3rd grade
biographical nonfiction.
What a fantastic book describing a famous tennis player! I love the relationships between Serena and her family. This is a great story that connects to people in our modern times, not from long ago. The illustrations were not my favorite, but they did a great job encapturing the plot and familial relationships. I love that the story incorporates great lessons that the girls were taught from their parents. I also love the deeper values of patience and hard wor
Mandy
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Picture book biography. This book is interesting because it focuses on Serena. Her sister Venus (and other family members) is discussed, but the focus is solely on Serena. From sneaking into her first tennis tournament, to winning a major competition before her older sister, this is her story. Beautiful bright illustrations are similar to paper collage but are done in Illustrator.
Caroline
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
I enjoyed learning about this powerful, famous, and important tennis player as I read this book to my daughters—I have grown up knowing about Serena Williams, but this biography provided an accessible, entertaining, and inspiring inside look at her childhood (and what led to her being who she is today).
Teonna Taylor
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some books only focus on the relationship Serena has with Venus and do not mention the other three sisters.I appreciated this book for highlighting how Serena was encouraged and molded by all of her sisters.
Some of my favorite lines are:
"Whatever you become, you become in your head first."
"If you can't for you, do it for me."
Lynn
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sweet picture book about Serena the littlest sister who strived to be a big professional tennis star and the best of them all. Nice portrait of Serena Williams as a little girl, trying to compete with her sisters.
Evelyn
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute and gives the history as remembered about the Williams sisters and their father would coach them to become the great players that they are. Did not realize that all the girls partook in learning the game. The art work is very well done also.
Angel
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved reading this book with my daughter.
Diane
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story of Serena Williams’ journey to tennis stardom, focusing on family first.

An extensive bibliography and author’s note is included.
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Between her father's coaching, her sisters' encouragement, and the tennis partner she found in Venus, Serena attributes her success on the court to her family. A moving, inspiring, love-filled bio.
Stacy

• Thurgood
  • Pokko and the Drum
  • Princess Hair
  • How to Read a Book
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • Just Ask!: Be Different, Be Brave, Be You
  • Rise!: From Caged Bird to Poet of the People, Maya Angelou
  • Lizzie Demands a Seat!: Elizabeth Jennings Fights for Streetcar Rights
  • Stephen Hawking (Pequeño & GRANDE, #2)
  • Viva Frida
  • Planting Stories: The Life of Librarian and Storyteller Pura Belpré
Karlin Gray grew up as a Navy “brat”—moving every year or two. After living in ten houses and attending eight schools, Karlin moved again to Florida (where she worked on her B.A. in Creative Writing at Florida State University), Virginia (where she worked for newspaper publishers), New York (where she worked for book publishers), and Connecticut (where she works now as a mom and picture-book write ...more