Start by marking “Straits Eclectic” as Want to Read:
Straits Eclectic

Straits Eclectic

Straits eclectic: an architectural style which combines diverse elements - fusing Chinese forms with Western ornament; incorporating climate adaptations from the Indian sub-continent and Malay archipelago; reflecting the 'rojak' nature of Malaysia.

"Whenever the idealistic among us speak about a better Malaysia, we tend to focus on the thing that unite us: the food, the fes
Published November 2017 by Gerakbudaya Enterprise

To ask other readers questions about Straits Eclectic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Straits Eclectic

Herinza Syadza
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Used to think why I hate this country so much, but this book reminded me why this land is beautiful, and I shouldn't leave. Thank you for the beautiful stories!
Kerynnisa
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Malaysia and Brunei are similar enough that I can relate to many things and issues that are Malaysian, but the two countries are so different in some fundamental ways that these dissimilarities are always a surprise, refreshing, and distant enough for me to view objectively. From this position and as an academic I full-on devoured this book, which is packed with well-written, thoughtful and thought-provoking pieces from contributors of different backgrounds. All the pieces touch on identity poli ...more
Siti Aziz
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Modern writings on Malaysia - a country reimagined, swept by tides of change steep with cultural nuances
Fadillah
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: local, non-fiction, asia
If you're having a love-hate relationship with Malaysia, you will love this book. Some of the stories are written in the place of privileges and some are not. Some felt isolated and some felt abandoned by this land that we called 'NegaraKu'. My favorite pieces of writing in this book would be 'Meritocracy and Malaysian Chinese' and 'Malaysian First, Muslim Second, Malay Third'.
Yat
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I gave 5 stars because Nine is my friend and I'm bias like that.
Georgette
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I recovered this book under a pile of junk on my desk and made a push to finish the last two essays. Like most multi-author compilations, there are stories I can relate to and others that I don’t get at all. The last one struck me the most in this post-BN administration. Marvin Wong’s Occupying Spaces is a snapshot of an era we hope to see the last of.
Bunz Gonzalez
Dec 16, 2017
LongYC
Feb 04, 2018
William Tham
Feb 23, 2018 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
Faidz Zainal Abidin