Start by marking “Straits Eclectic” as Want to Read:
Straits Eclectic

Straits Eclectic

Straits eclectic: an architectural style which combines diverse elements - fusing Chinese forms with Western ornament; incorporating climate adaptations from the Indian sub-continent and Malay archipelago; reflecting the 'rojak' nature of Malaysia.

"Whenever the idealistic among us speak about a better Malaysia, we tend to focus on the thing that unite us: the food, the fes
Published November 2017 by Gerakbudaya Enterprise

To ask other readers questions about Straits Eclectic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Straits Eclectic

Start your review of Straits Eclectic
Herinza Syadza
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Used to think why I hate this country so much, but this book reminded me why this land is beautiful, and I shouldn't leave. Thank you for the beautiful stories!
Kerynnisa
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Malaysia and Brunei are similar enough that I can relate to many things and issues that are Malaysian, but the two countries are so different in some fundamental ways that these dissimilarities are always a surprise, refreshing, and distant enough for me to view objectively. From this position and as an academic I full-on devoured this book, which is packed with well-written, thoughtful and thought-provoking pieces from contributors of different backgrounds. All the pieces touch on identity poli ...more
Sahnaz
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it

I believe seldom some books are meant for you to read at a certain point in your lifetime; this is one of them for me. I like reading essays written by the youth because they tend to see the flaws in society better than the older generations and won’t
Fadillah
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: local, non-fiction, asia
If you're having a love-hate relationship with Malaysia, you will love this book. Some of the stories are written in the place of privileges and some are not. Some felt isolated and some felt abandoned by this land that we called 'NegaraKu'. My favorite pieces of writing in this book would be 'Meritocracy and Malaysian Chinese' and 'Malaysian First, Muslim Second, Malay Third'.
Georgette
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I recovered this book under a pile of junk on my desk and made a push to finish the last two essays. Like most multi-author compilations, there are stories I can relate to and others that I don’t get at all. The last one struck me the most in this post-BN administration. Marvin Wong’s Occupying Spaces is a snapshot of an era we hope to see the last of.
Siti Aziz
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Modern writings on Malaysia - a country reimagined, swept by tides of change steep with cultural nuances
Yat
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I gave 5 stars because Nine is my friend and I'm bias like that.
Munirah Mn
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
A book about our love-hate relationship with Malaysia. If you read for the sake of escapism, this may not be for you. Contains voices worth listening to.
Bunz Gonzalez
Jan 15, 2019
Stephanie
Apr 10, 2019
William Liang
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Ling Low