Start by marking “Deep Underwater” as Want to Read:
Deep Underwater

Deep Underwater

Sophia bravely dives down to discover the secrets under the sea. She encounters beautiful fish and floating forests. Farther down, the dark water is full of tentacles and treasures. Deep underwater, she is never alone. Do you dare dive down after her?

The ocean is full of endless possibilities in this dreamy, imagistic story from acclaimed author / illustrator Irene Luxbach
Published August 1st 2018 by Groundwood Books

To ask other readers questions about Deep Underwater, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep Underwater

ArialLily
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
"I know where dragons live and where floating forests grow."

Lovely book!
Alicia
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: female, picture-books
Nothing stellar in this picture book that features a female main character swimming in her dress down deep underwater to appreciate the beauty and intensity of the deep ocean.

Collage art is fine, but the story didn’t seem to have a point for readers to take away. I wasn’t moved by the words because they didn’t flow well either in taking the reader along for the journey and sending a message.
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

"My name is Sophia. I live by the sea. I know all its secrets. I know where dragons live and where floating forests grow..."

From the author and illustrator behind the critically praised Mr. Frank comes Deep Underwater, a story about a young girl named Sophia and her extraordinary journey into the deep sea. Sophia invites the reader to "dive down" with her, believing in the reader and their bravery to explore sea wonders with her. As Sophia dives with a "deep breath", we go "past the day" to the
Elizabeth
Sep 15, 2018 added it
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Kirkus Reviews "Groundwood Books’ Most-Anticipated Books of the Fall!"
Shelves: picturebooks
An interesting semi-surrealist journey deep into the ocean, with some illustrations partially collage style and some two-page spreads entirely wordless.

Not entirely sure what's up with the ending.

Favorite line: "Stars can only shine when the light fades."
Baby Bookworm
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is Deep Underwater by Irene Luxbacher, a dreamy and surreal adventure to the ocean floor.

A young girl named Sophia invites the reader along as she dives down deep into the sea. She knows all the ocean’s secrets, and she’s glad to share them. Down into the dark, where bubbles swirl and creatures swim and sunken ships hide their treasure. There’s all that and more:
Nadia L. Hohn
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book and fell in love with the deep dreamy colours. Dark... I associated it with being symbolic of depression and emerging from tragedy to find oneself, "a friend" in oneself. Complete disclosure, I know the author-illustrator of this book. Irene Luxbacher illustrated my two picture books Malaika's Costume and Malaika's Winter Carnival and now she is working on my third (all with the same publisher, Groundwood Books). I am excited to hear the voice of Sophia as she moves through the ...more
Erin
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Reminded me of This is Blue - gorgeous gorgeous illustrations, but an amorphous daydream of text.

I struggle with plotless meanderings like this, that look like a story, but really rely on the reader to provide the finer details. Usually I'm just not ready to fire up my rusty old imagination. Regardless of the text, I really appreciate the depth and detail of the illustrations.
DeA
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
A beautiful book but the text is a bit hard to follow for many young readers.
Brittany
3 Stars 🌟! Loved the illustrations in this book they are absolutely beautiful. The context could have been a little better though. It didn’t really make much sense.
Dana Storytime Account
I really liked the artwork of this book.
Miss Sarah
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
A young girl goes ona wonderous adventure under the sea where she meets friends and relatives who show her love. Whimsical. Preschool and up
Briony
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
The message got a bit lost towards the end of the book.
Lisa
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5
Kelly
I give this book 2.5 stars. The illustrations are nice, but the story is way too deep for picture-book aged children.
Robin
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Weird and pretty. A little confusing. For ages 4-6 who love artsy stuff.
Alida
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
As someone that has always been fascinated by the deep ocean, this book is just lovely. The collage technique and the wordplay are well matched.
Karen
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Magical and beautiful illustrations show the depths and mysteries of the ocean as we follow Sophie, who lives by the sea, on a deep, deep dive under the waves and into a void.