Start by marking “Inward” as Want to Read:
Inward

Inward

Inward is a collection of poetry, quotes, and prose that explores the movement from self love to unconditional love, the power of letting go, and the wisdom that comes when we truly try to know ourselves. It serves as a reminder to the reader that healing, transformation, and freedom are possible.
Published October 6th 2017 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Inward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inward

Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
Thank you Andrews McMeel Publishing for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Reading this book feels personal as I look back to the lowest point in my life. All the painful feelings I had, as much as possible I keep them to myself. I endure my anger whenever I can and it's horrible. At one point I wanted to explode but I can't. There was a point I became distant and I struggled expressing my feelings to the closest people in my life. I just want a piece of mind and figure out my pro
Arybo ✨
1.5

I found this book on Netgalley's poetry shelf and I requested it because it captured me with its description of the content. Probably this book would have been better in the religious sector, because many of the ideas seem to be religious conceptions.

I did not find much poetry in these pages.

Why did not I like it?

I chose this book because I was looking for poetry. I think a poem is a mirror to see what is hidden within us, a picture that shows what we do not know about us or our lives. A “tr
Chelsie
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm recommending this book to everyone I know, as it is providing me with so much strength and comfort in my darkest moments lately. What a beautiful, stunning collection of short works. It's a quick read in totality, but wonderful to refer back to each night before drifting off to sleep. yung pueblo takes on the role of healer, educator, wise man and motivational speaker. The book is a perfect companion to compliment your Vipassana meditation practice, of which it's very clear the book takes it ...more
Kirsty
Jul 31, 2018 rated it did not like it
Can somebody please explain to me why most of the work which is called contemporary poetry of late feels like a Tumblr account, circa 2009? There seems to be a sudden trend for very short cliched pieces of writing which, upon reflection, actually say very little. Inward by Yung Pueblo was very much one of these. I found what I read of this very repetitive, and to me, it is not poetry. It is similar to so many other modern 'poetry' books, and nothing memorable came from it for me. Despite the fac ...more
Lisa Diep
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Its one of those books/poetry that will really resonate with you if you're on the inward journey to self-love, wisdom, and ultimate freedom and peace. one to buy, keep, and return to every so often for nuggets of wisdom
Pippa
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Via audiobook.

I guess this book is great if you are on a journey towards self-discovery etc, then I think you will enjoy this book a lot more than I did. The reason I can't give this any higher than two stars, which is even generous on its own, is that 'inward' is sold as a poetry book, what it obviously is not. This is a great example of false marketing. Had I known what kind of book this was going to be, I may not even have picked it up, but I would've at least gone into it with whole differe
Garvitsahdev
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I firstly loved the idea of using very few words and a lot of white space. It really helps you to absorb each and every word. It allows you to think for a longer time on few words. This prolonged thinking helps you to go deep inside you.

Secondly, it was a liberating experience for me. Most of the times, we fail to except our pain and happiness. This book with it's simple and deep messages allowed me to get vulnerable with myself.

Thirdly, if you read this book with your partner, it exposes both
Kristina  Wilson
Feb 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
I listened to this as an audiobook, read by the monotone narrator. I don't believe audiobook is the intended format for this book, but I don't think my rating would change. This is nothing but repetition of self-love and loving everyone. Those are great and necessary concepts, but this book seemed unnecessary
Brandice
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the sort of book that I find hard to put away on a shelf. I didn’t want to finish it. I always want to keep it handy. Simple things are still difficult things (simple does not mean easy) and this book contains all of the simplest and also most difficult treasures.
Coen
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best book I read in 2018 and one I will be giving to every client I sign on going forward.
Arie
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed the Buddhism inspired poetry. Many of the poems stuck with me.
I did not care for most of the prose.
Rishi
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is a philosophical and abstract discussion of how the author has learned to heal through self-love. I would have preferred more applicable advice. The book didn't resonate with me at this point in my life, but I can see how it would for other people.
Deborah
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Broken into five chapters on distance, union, interlude, self-love, and understanding, the poet writes of creating a better world by healing, not harming, yourself. He expounds on releasing attachments, embracing love to attain peace, and looking inward. Freedom, wisdom, and love bring compassion and peace. Happiness can be elusive and obtainable. Love is the star. Insightful and thought provoking.
Ruwaya
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book is beautifully written, has a lot of motivational and changing concepts that makes you eager to progress and heal , I personally read it in a time where I struggled in my studies, it definitely helped me to get my problems together and begin to find inner peace within myself, accepting my mistakes and letting go of what’s stopping me from being the person I want, great book if you want something to encourage you to change and heal
Sydney Smith
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I get what this book is trying to do, and I respect it's effort, but it didn't do anything for me personally. I'm not sure what is going on with contemporary poetry that reads like this. Its like one of those cheesy pictures you see that has some motivational quote written on it in cursive, attributed to no one. I'm sure it has it's purpose with some people, but it just mostly annoyed me. Maybe if I look at it as something other than a book of poems, I can appreciate it more. I'm giving it 2 sta ...more
adik miftakhur
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book a lot, I just read it in one sitting and I regretted I wasn't reading it sooner. The book tells me a lot about humanity and self-helping. I mean if you're on your way to find what 'life' means, you could definitely find some motivation through some part of the book. The book also mentioned lots of something that's currently happening in our nowadays society which I think we need to give it more attention. Basically, the book is worth your time. Go read it!!
Jessica | Booked J
As a note, a copy of this novel was sent to me via NetGalley by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not effect my opinions in any way. Review also found here on Booked J.

There's something I have to get off my chest about reviewers, re: modern poetry. You don't get to decide what is or isn't poetry. You're entitled to not like a certain style, you're entitled to not like a certain author or collection, but you're not entitled to defining what makes poetry. This, and I'm s
grace
Nov 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
this collection discusses self love and growing as a person. there were many poems in here that i really connected with and were really eye-opening to me. however the reason i have rated this three stars is because i had some problems with it as well.
first off some of the longer pieces in here i felt were repetitive, and maybe that was the point but that writing style isn't really for me.
i also sometimes felt that i wasn't reading poetry but instead an advice book.
the main problem i had with th
Brandi
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
~ I recieved this book for free for my review~

"Releasing, learning, expanding- i am happily a work in progress"
Pueblo's poetry starts out strong - the word usage and feeling is all there on the page. I could feel a vibration of the emotions written there while reading.
But then later "Inward" goes into longer poems that almost feel drained of emotion or feeling. They were just long sentences with pretty words but no real emotions to them to make that overwhelming feeling of "Wow! That was a beau
Taylor Barbour
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, favorites, poetry
such a gorgeous book. yung pueblo creates a symphony of verses, sentences, and full pages worth of thoughtful ideas. even though some pages only have simple words, the way pueblo ties them together creates this masterpiece of thought.

i felt an air of tranquility and calm while reading this. this isn’t your typical inspirational book shouting about self love and just saying “LOVE YOURSELF.” pueblo discusses the inward journey of knowing, understanding, loving, and accepting yourself on a soulful
Katie O'Donnell
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the second poetry book that I have read so far and I am not as impressed as I was with the first one. This book had poems that were three lines long or took up a whole page. Sometimes the long ones would make me lose interest and I would have to read them three times in order to understand that point it was trying to convey. I also found that the poems didn't relate to my life as much as I would like. I never had the moment where as I was reading, I realized that I was reading something ...more
Melanie
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pg 81 my fave page

“..There is great power in honoring the reality of our current emotions—not feeding them or making them worse but simply recognizing that this is what has arisen in the present moment and that this will also change. When we create this space within ourselves—a space of calmness that is undisturbed by the storm—the storm tends to pass more quickly.

Healing ourselves isn’t about constantly feeling bliss; being attached to bliss is a bondage of its own. Trying to force ourselves
Kiahna Sabato
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I really thought I was going to love this book but I felt like it often went from honest, deep, heartfelt poetry to fortune cookie advice. Some parts felt like cheesy cliché life advice that you’d hear from a wise family member...

In addition to that I was a little thrown off by the writing style because most of the free verse paragraph parts didn’t feel like they belonged in the book. I was completely disconnected to them.

This book started off strong but by the last page I felt the whole book
Nicolette Tura
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a must read. extremely appreciative of this beautiful voice of the collective. these words are my words, as if i wrote them myself. thank you yung pueblo for this. for giving us hope, permission, connection, remembering what is and matters in such a beautiful non judgmental gentle way. all of the great wisdom traditions resound in this sacred text with a refreshing twist.

i slowly read it through and will now read a passage and really embody it whether it's for a day or a week. excited for this p
Faye
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
I've read quite a bit of contemporary poetry in the past few months and I am disappointed every time I give it a chance. Unfortunately, I couldn't even call Inward by Yung Peublo poetry. I received this as a gift, so thankfully I wasn't the one who wasted $20 on a book of cliched motivational statements you've heard before.

It took me an entire month to get through this book despite the fact that 3/4 of every page was blank. It was so irritating so open it back up again and force feed myself cri
Vie
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super recommended for all of us, the citizen of the modern world who sometimes forget to set time aside for ourself.
In this glamour world, we are bound expected to compete with each other to the maximum stress level.
The purpose of this book is to remind us that we need to learn to let go of things that will not make us happy. We need to heal ourself by start accept and loving ourself completely, all of our side including our bad side.
A copy was provided by the publisher through Netgalley in ex
Angela
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am very grateful for this book and will read it again. So many truisms in new age language and accessibility, and essential for all of us to thrive. I highly recommend this book, and so glad I can read it again this year. My life quality factor increased with these poems, and learning more about yung pueblo as a writer in his recent interview with London Real https://londonreal.tv/e/yung-pueblo/
Danielle Warner
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I think I would have enjoyed this one more in my early 20’s when I was searching for who I was and what I needed. In fact, I am most gave up on it because it just doesn’t seem to apply to me anymore, but I’m glad I kept going. I felt like vaguely chronicled my personal growth from early 20s to early 30s. There were a few excerpts that were thought-provoking and pleasing to my mind. Overall, a positive read.
Emily Frank
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
There are some very beautiful things in this collection. However, most of the poems are saying the exact same thing, with slightly different shades of meaning. The language is simple and uncomplicated. The author's individual perspective is not present, which I'm sure is the intention. Yet all of these realizations come through with regular meditation, whatever form that may take. The book could be a lot shorter and still retain all its meaning.
Kris
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed many of the short passages in this collection, though it started to feel repetitive after a while, which diluted some of the pleasure. I am sure other readers will take away some of the thoughtful and insightful meaning around self love and inner journeying, but again, over repetition starts to leave a taste of cliche. Overall I'd recommend it, thought it could perhaps have been edited to around a third shorter to convey it's message much more succinctly.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Complete Poems, 1913-1962
  • The Anti-Christ, Ecce Homo, Twilight of the Idols, and Other Writings
  • Song of Years
  • How We Talk: The Inner Workings of Conversation
  • Roses and Radicals: The Epic Story of How American Women Won the Right to Vote
  • Salad Anniversary
  • Myths About Suicide
  • Explorations of a Cosmic Soul
  • The Meaning of Names
  • Emily Dickinson: Letters
  • Speaking of Sadness: Depression, Disconnection, and the Meanings of Illness
  • Lunar Abundance: Cultivating Joy, Peace, and Purpose Using the Phases of the Moon
  • Love and Sex with Robots: The Evolution of Human-Robot Relationships