Start by marking “Explosive Growth: A Few Things I Learned While Growing To 100 Million Users - And Losing $78 Million” as Want to Read:

*Ranked 'BEST STARTUP BOOKS OF ALL TIME'' by Benzinga
*Ranked' BEST GROWTH-HACKING BUSINESS BOOKS' by Entrepreneur.com
#1 BEST-SELLER in 5 Startup & Entrepreneurship Categories

This compelling and inspiring narrative gives entrepreneurs a rare behind-the-scenes look inside a fast-growing startup that created the first online dating app and grew to 100 million users

Explosive
Published November 7th 2017 by Clifford Ventures Corporation

To ask other readers questions about Explosive Growth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Explosive Growth

Start your review of Explosive Growth: A Few Things I Learned While Growing To 100 Million Users - And Losing $78 Million
Anav Cohen
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fast, fun and informative

A fast and entertaining read, Explosive Growth by Cliff Lerner takes you on the real-life journey of the business leader that started the first successful Facebook dating app. Through Cliff’s honesty and experience, we learn invaluable business tips from both his successes and regrets. While at the same time, gaining fun insight on the world of online dating. Apparently single brunettes that like myself, may want to consider moving to Denver Colorado. Fun and informativ
Clay
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As an small business owner a lot of the tips were not applicable. 50% of the tips really are for web or software developers. That being said it was a really great story with a lot of useful lessons. Definitely worth a read!
Cara
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was just going to read a little of this as a break and then get back to work, and I ended up reading the whole book! It’s an excellent mix of stories and lessons, and I kept going because I wanted to know what was next of both. Many of the tips are pretty specific to running a software/app company, but there were also plenty that I can apply.

I particularly liked the info on how to make something viral. I want to learn more about that, and I appreciate the resource recommendations.

Now I want
Mlingo Gumede
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing

I’m inspired by this mans story, I see how easy it is for one to make some of the mistakes he did. As an aspiring entrepreneur I’ll re-read this throughout my journey
Migdalia
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Not great...

Extremely dry read! Most of the book is just about the author gloating about how great his product was and how the world wasn't ready for his product... yet... and how somebody else took advantage of that (Tinder). *huge eyeroll*

I gave it three stars instead of one because a few of the "explosive growth tips" are good. I'm definitely NOT part of his target audience as I don't plan to start a huge corporation (actually, I hate the corporate world), so a lot of the tips are useless to
GAURAV SHROFF
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
It takes one through a complete journey of the challenges one could normally come across in building a digital footprint and try solving for them in making a long lasting and thriving business from the same. It was an absolute amazing and insightful read!!
Hamish Seamus
An inspiring read.

I kept thinking "if this entitled dullard can get rich from starting a dating app, then I certainly can! What kind of moron starts their career on Wall Street, yet doesn't liquidate any of their stock when it it's worth a hundred million dollars?"

Mostly generic business-babble.

But there are some interesting insights into the data app world.
- Tinder initially got a foothold by throwing college parties and inviting sororities, then only letting fraternities in if they downloaded
Mai
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must read for any entrepreneurs and startup founders

I got this book for my birthday and started to read it during Christmas break. The book is compelling, interesting and easy to grasp. Cliff recalls his experience in running an online dating startup and summarizes each chapter with key takeaways, explosive growth tips and reading recommendations. I wish I knew many of these tips earlier. The book has inspired me to take actions and make changes for 2019. This is perhaps one of my favorite boo
Aaron Aoyume
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
More About Learning From Mistakes

In many aspects, this book is very similar to Lost And Founder, as it goes on describing similar mistakes that Lerner made as CEO of Snap Interactive (not to be confused with Snapchat's holding, but this is an internal joke). But there is a major difference that makes this book maybe even more interesting, because Lerner's app, Are You Interested?, had at a certain point to face Tinder, and that changed everything. Lerner's astute idea to leverage on Facebook was
Jitesh Kapadia
Jul 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Good learnings from the life of the author. How he went from creating a startup to chance of making it big and eventually couldn’t.

Pros:
Though I felt that the story telling lacked the depth but the learnings made up for the shallowness in the style.

Cons:
Also, many references to suggestions on what books to read and also many of the talks are picked straight out of other books. Hence the feeling of originality was missing.

PS: One of those books, which I didn’t enjoyed as much but still finished
Karan Sharma
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An extremely fun and insightful book!

This was really a good book. The author not only tells his own amazing story about his entrepreneurial successes and failures, he also adds countless gems of tips to apply to your own business. I found countless usable tips and at least 10 other book recommendations just from reading this book. If you are undecided about reading this book just like I was, please do yourself a favour and read it now!
Kitsana Dounglomchan
Decent read. I felt kind of sad for the author, as he never cashed out on his stock from Snap Inc. and ended up not making anything from his endeavors. He’s honest about his lessons but the big thing I gathered from him is he made the right decision to pivot Are You Interested to Facebook back when the latter came out. He gets credit for this for sure, but he didn’t seem like he had much else besides that. Decent lessons about marketing and PR, but I wouldn’t say this is a must read book.
Iago Seleme
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business-startup
Full of insights about business startup in the area of technology, specially relevant for businesses who depend on creating networks of users. The author reflects on what he got right and the mistakes he made, and also reviews a whole range of relevant books that helped him find solutions along the way.
Nabil
Apr 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Had some interesting points, but overall it was very much a story about how one company works, then assuming it can be applied to every company.

Also lots of "pro tips" sprinkled throughout, most of which weren't terribly insightful.

Good book if you've never done anything online marketing related.
Ed Barton
Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
More Than A Few Things

When the author says he learned a few things, he isn’t kidding. A trove of good advice, stories and history that is a good read for any founder. You’ll get to walk in his shoes and see the advice of his mistakes. The advice is useful and timely. A good read.
Jay Greco
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting story, but somewhat light on the deeper analysis of events I was hoping for. The #explosivegrowthtips feel a bit clickbaity, but I guess I could see them being useful to someone skimming through.
Tyler
Fer Tostado
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great entrepreneurial story. It's fun interesting and it has scaling, product design and general business tips all related to a situation that Cliff had to deal during his way up, and down, and up once again to the top of the entrepreneur Olympus. I enjoyed it very much. ...more
Evan Clark
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome short read. Really enjoyed it - and learnt a few things too.
Dennis Pilat
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An interesting book with a ton of gold nuggets scattered throughout the book. Definitely, recommend checking out this book. I was able to catch it at my local library!
Jon Ender
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Inspiring
Afzal Anwar
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Not that explosives. Just some suggestions and advices.

Too narrow and is only good for someone who is planning to launch an online app or website
nnuk
Jul 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Nothing you don't already know. ...more
Stian Ulriksen
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Focused too much on self-promotion
Iliiaz Akhmedov
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read and fairly engaging and easy to read. In general, it is another journey of an entrepreneur with practical advises (this time highlighted for you) and lots of books references (like lots).
Abhimanyu
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book on how to grow a tech company that relies on customer adoption. So gripping that I finished it in 5 hours over the weekend.
Mariana Romero
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good but

It has interesting ideas but I felt it’s a book that tech companies will get much more benefit from than brick and mortar store or concepts. Still a good read!
Tom
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Meh

Meh - summarizes a lot of what is said in other books - @Amazon plz stop requiring a certain number of words.
Kathy Lois Amores
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's the type of book that you can't put down when you start reading. Cliff Lerner was able to seamlessly transition his experience into lesson nuggets. Great book and easy read! ...more
Chacha Marwa
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Explosive Growth

Good read for startups. Very practical tips contained in this book. I would definitely recommend this to start up entrepreneurs.

• Hacking Growth: How Today's Fastest-Growing Companies Drive Breakout Success
  • The Automatic Customer: Creating a Subscription Business in Any Industry
  • The Innovation Stack: Building an Unbeatable Business One Crazy Idea at a Time
  • The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you
  • Obviously Awesome: How to Nail Product Positioning so Customers Get It, Buy It, Love It
  • Contagious: Why Things Catch On
  • Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products
  • The 1-Page Marketing Plan: Get New Customers, Make More Money, And Stand out From The Crowd
  • Traction: A Startup Guide to Getting Customers
  • Angel: How to Invest in Technology Startups—Timeless Advice from an Angel Investor Who Turned $100,000 into $100,000,000
  • Subscribed: Why the Subscription Model Will Be Your Company's Future - and What to Do About It
  • That Will Never Work: The Birth of Netflix and the Amazing Life of an Idea
  • The Upstarts: How Uber, Airbnb, and the Killer Companies of the New Silicon Valley Are Changing the World
  • Lost and Founder: The Mostly Awful, Sometimes Awesome Truth about Building a Tech Startup
  • How to Get Rich
  • SELL LIKE CRAZY: How to Get As Many Clients, Customers and Sales As You Can Possibly Handle
  • Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen
Cliff Lerner gave up a lucrative Wall Street career to launch an online dating start-up called SNAP Interactive. With little funding, Snap established itself as the leader and pioneers in the online dating industry, becoming the first social media company to become publicly traded in 2006.

SNAP’s dating apps have attracted over 100 million users and pioneered numerous online dating innovations inc

News & Interviews

“Good business leaders create a vision, articulate the vision, passionately own the vision, and relentlessly drive it to completion.” —Jack Welch, author and CEO of GE from 1981-2001” 2 likes
“I Don’t Care How Great Your Product Is. Tell Me How You’re Going to Grow…Fast People approach me all the time for advice on investments and ideas. The first thing I ask them is, “What’s your plan to acquire thousands of targeted users?” Inevitably, most people’s response is, “I don’t know exactly, but my product is so friggin’ unique, it’s going to blow people away! We’re going to get a ton of press and everybody will fall” 2 likes