Start by marking “To Tempt a Scoundrel (The Heart of a Duke, #15)” as Want to Read:
To Tempt a Scoundrel (The Heart of a Duke, #15)

To Tempt a Scoundrel (The Heart of a Duke #15)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  334 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
This light-hearted, witty, Regency romance is sure to tug at your heart this winter season!

Don't miss the latest Heart of a Duke installment!

Never trust a gentleman…
Once before, Lady Alice Winterbourne trusted her heart to an honorable, respectable man… only to be jilted in the scandal of the Season. Longing for an escape from all the whispers and humiliation, Alice ea
Published November 15th 2017

To ask other readers questions about To Tempt a Scoundrel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Tempt a Scoundrel

Ursula
I started reading HR with Christi Caldwell books and loved them. Not really sure what has happened. Have I become more discerning? Harder to please? Even demanding? (Hush GR friends- the questions are rhetorical!!)
I really struggled to feel this one. There were mistakes in the language, the heroine just kept doing silly things (view spoiler)
Tracy DeNeal
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Alice and Rhys

Another Christi Caldwell couple with whom to fall in love.

We watched Lady Alice Winterbourne fall arse over teakettle in love with Mr. Henry Pratt in TO REDEEM A RAKE, but alas it was only puppy love. Henry's betrayal shook her to her very foundation.

Rhys Brookfield has lived his life as the carefree, spare to the heir and later heir presumptive to his brother, the beloved, Miles Brookfield, Marquess of Guildford. His hidden heartbreak has been disguised by roguish smiles and act
Dee Deacon Foster
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Black sheep, disgraceful second son and neglectful brother, Rhys Brookfield has now become the target of his cold, meddling Momma’s matchmaking efforts. The only problem, he has no interest in marriage. Summoned to a family gathering puts Rhys in love’s crosshairs much to the dismay of his mother.
Brokenhearted Alice Winterbourne accepts her friend’s invitation to escape London and THE SCANDAL. Praying for much needed time to recover her broken heart Alice will quickly realize it’s not to be. How
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
Nov 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
To Tempt A Scoundrel story has bits and pieces of other books in The Heart of a Duke series. If you have read a few books by Christi Caldwell you will recognize the same plot line in this story as in her other stories in this series. Don't waste you time. Christi Caldwell didn't waste her time in putting out a decent story. If she has run out of idea's just don't write a books.
Kathryn Bullivant
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another beautiful love story from Christ Caldwell. This one concerns Alice Winterbourne, the sister of my favourite ever Caldwell hero, the Earl of Montfort, and Rhys Brookfield, younger brother of Miles, the Marquess of Guildford. Like all HOAD books, it can, and does, stand alone, but it’s so much sweeter when you’ve followed the character development over several books.

This one is set at Christmas, and the Christmas backdrop lends itself to some very sweet moments both between the couple and
Supriya Saran
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The 15th installment of this super super series is a sweet, simple and perfect love story of Rhys and Alice. The Heart of the Duke is one series by Christi Caldwell, which she has perfected. Each book from one to fifteen is perfection. Not one will you be able to put down, or skim over. I promise!

To Tempt a Scoundrel is the story of confirmed rake and bachelor Lord Rhys Brookfield, younger brother to Miles, who is all but a stranger to the reader or the series. Lady Alice Winterbourne on the oth
Showie Ford
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Regular Christi readers have been in love with Alice (and anxiously awaiting her story) for what seems like ages. Rhys we knew by reputation only, but we have been swooning over his elder brother “Good guy Miles” since his debut in “To Woo a Widow” last year. We all knew his bad boy younger brother would be something amazing. Let me tell you, we were right!

Christi has a way of writing characters that you can’t help but love. Alice has so much spark and independence. She’s a heroine you will trul
Lori D
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This author is amazing. Did I say that all her books hold me spellbound? To Tempt a Scoundrel was no exception. Scandal, intrigue, heartwarming, this story has a little of it all. Two seemingly broken hearts are fated to meet. Lady Alice Winterbourne had been jilted and just wants to get away from all the pity and gossip. Going to a house party of her friend's she hopes to find some peace and time to let her heart heal. But as things often turn out, she finds her former betrothed and his new bri ...more
Theresa Vultaggio
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Once again Christi writes a romance novel that you can't put down. Alice Winterbourne has been waiting for her book story for a long time and I am sure readers will be pleased when they read what happens. Set around the holidays this is a heartwarming and soul touching story to keep you warm on those winter nights. I love the way Christi brought out the character of Rhys. Two wounded hearts who find happiness together will warm your toes and have you yearning for more. Highly recommended for any ...more
Sharon
Shelves: heart-of-a-duke
Hero: Rhys (Miles bro)--- Heroine: Alice (Daniels Sis)
Reading Enjoyment:4.5* Another great story in this series that is filled with fun, love and intrigue. I enjoyed reading this story that grabbed me and would not let go until the end. The story progressed steadily, has well developed characters with witty/humorous dialogue and a fun developing plot. I enjoyed watching them fall in love before they knew what was going on. This had a great HEA complete no cliffhangers and with a humorous reactio
Patricia
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
TO RISK IS TO LIVE

Another wonderful story. This one full of laughter, poignant moments that hinge from heartbreak and loneliness, and a final, triumphant implied happily ever after.
Nearly all of the characters have been introduced before, but I think a person could read this alone. It shines softly, like a coated lightbulb, and is full of people gradually learning to laugh and play again - or to admit they can.
It is a story of people deciding to risk, and finding triumph in that risk, which is,
Maggie Whitworth
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
❤❤❤❤❤
💋

Oh ,how do you do it .
Every time you have me laughing , crying , shouting. My family are ready to commit me .
Another fantastic book in the HOAD Series .
Rhys And Alice , the stars in this one , looking to find the perfect partner.
All done in the style only Christi has mastered , a brilliant book , funny and lighthearted, but with a serious backstory.
Christi take a very well earned bow .
This is a must for all fans,
From The Queen Of Regency Miss Christi Caldwell .
Kari Maass
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful, fun story!

To Tempt a Scoundrel, book 15 in the Heart of a Duke series, a lighthearted story of two wounded hearts healing each other. Alice is just what Rhys needs to show teach him to feel again. Rhys shows Alice what true love is.i loved their story, from the snowball fight and ice skating, to more intellectual and witty banter, this is just the book to read heading into the Yule season!
Jeri
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A lovely winter tale of romance! The setting was so romantic, a family party at a manor house in the country with snow and ice skating. Rhys and Alice have both suffered heartbreak and both wish to escape that pain. Alice was a strong character that had to rebuild her confidence. Rhys was a guarded rogue that learned to trust. It was a good story that entertained.
Lisa Jackson
Wonderful!

It began as a ruse. Lady Alice attends a house party given by the mother of her best friend. Alice hasn't been out much, she's hidden in her own family home after that humiliating problem of being dumped by her fiance months prior. While at the party Alice meets Rhys, second son of the party's hostess and notable rake. Actually Rhys is quite notable as he is very attractive, funny, and kind, but not one who cares much for the opinions of others.
Alice is faced with the unexpected appear
Judy
To Tempt a Scoundrel by Christi Caldwell
Heart of a Duke Series Book Fifteen
Lady Alice Winterbourne had made a fool out of herself over a man. Being jilted can make a girl do crazy things. Or at least that was the case for Alice. She had The Scandal and then made things worse with THE SCANDAL. So, no more men for her.

Lord Rhys Brookfield had learned long ago how fickle women could be. That's why, as a second son, he now lived his life as a rogue. Enjoying physical contact without ever having to i
Susan
A Wintery and Wonderful Love Story ❤
Two wounded hearts... She dreamed of love with one who treasured her above all else in his life. So when her betrothal was broken, leaving her scandalized, she resigned herself to a life alone. And he, betrayed by his fiancé and best friend, closed his heart, and chose a life dedicated to his business and the wild carefree life of a rogue, void of emotions. They find themselves thrown together at a country house party, which makes for a very interesting and fu
Cara Ross
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The next installment (book 15) in The Heart of a Duke series is here, and I was totally enchanted with the story by the third chapter.

You really have it all in To Tempt a Scoundrel, from overbearing and controlling mothers, to sweet nieces, and from scandals to risking your heart, Alice and Rhys take you on a heartbreakingly, beautiful love story, that really gives you that warm and fuzzy glow by the end of the book.

Overall the story is wonderful written, and the story so enchanting, that its on
Diane
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
Lord Rhys is a rake who once had his heart broken and now never intends to marry. Lady Alice was betrothed but he threw her over for the boss's daughter. They have one thing in common, his sister Lettie is her best friend. They meet at his family's house party. Unfortunately, her former fiance and his wife were also invited as well as a nice young woman that his mother is trying to fi
x him up with.

As usual, Christi Caldwell does an amazing job of writing characters you can't help but love. Their
Lynne Wilson
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming

Two people brought together by circumstances & find love. Alice is feisty but sad after her heart was broken. Rhys is jaded after his heart was broken years ago. Together they hatch a scheme to help each other at an awful house party, they find they have much in common & get on well together. Ultimately they find love but one former betrothed & a dreadful mother try to prevent them getting together. Eventually love prevails. Another wonderful story by Christi, who never
Cassidy J.
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I really liked the atmosphere in this book. It was a beautiful, lighthearted, and winsomely romantic tale that swept me away to a land of castles in the snow (there weren't any castles, but it was in the atmosphere). The reason it didn't get the full five stars is owing to the fact that it was a little too short. There were things that should have been expanded upon (view spoiler)
Ltlmer2
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
With most authors the more you read, the more you like them. It is the opposite with Caldwell for me. At first, the writing was atrocious but her characters were unique and enchanting. As you read further, though, the characters as well as the writing quickly become repetitive and tedious. All men are 6'3 or 4 and all women have heart-shaped faces, and everyone has notably perfect even teeth---and that's just the tip of the iceberg. She uses the EXACT same phrases and descriptions over and over ...more
Lily
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have loved this series and every time I start another one I think it won’t grab me as the others have and then....it does. To Tempt A Scoundrel is no exception. It’s a wonderful tale with all the fun witty dialogue and great chemistry you expect in a Christi Caldwell novel. However, I wanted MORE! That is why I gave 4 stars instead of five. I wanted more of this incredible couple. I wanted to experience beyond what the conclusion of the novel gave me. I wanted more of their witty banter, the u ...more
Hannah
If one of your favourite tropes is friends to lovers, look no further, this quick, beautiful and soul-wrenching read is for you.

As much as I love Caldwell's books, all the great ones just seem to feel too damn short. Sure, they're supposed to be quick easy romps, but when you fall head over heels for the characters (like I did in this one), it makes it harder to let go.

Rhys and Alice have instant attraction to each other, but begin as friends who slowly, but surely, fall in love with each and de
Mary Smith
A Sweet Love Story

Christi has given us a very romantic story about Rhys and Alice who have both been hurt by love.
This is a quick easy read that will play on all of your emotions. There are so many happy moments that will make you laugh but also sad times that will bring you to tears.
This story is about family and kids and fun times but also broken hearts that receive well deserved love.
You will also get the HEA you look forward to in Christi's books.
Layne
Scandal House Party Broken Hearts

I’ve been hooked on this series since the very first one came out. Somehow Christi makes each one special and different. This one takes two broken people, a house party and a scandal mixes them together and comes out with a funny, sweet and wonderful story.
Molly Plant
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hearts mend

Great love is usually found after great heartbreak. Not every person is meant to be with the person they originally thought was their true love. Being the 15 book in the series I would suggest reading the others first... You won't be able stop! As always Christi Caldwell delivers a wonderful story!
Shirley Hamlod
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yet another brilliant book in this series! I love Rhys and Alice. You feel their pain and then their love! This book left me sighing for more! A great read! I shouldn’t have read it so fast and then it wouldn’t be over now!
Patricia Wissore
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved the story! Alice really came into herself in the story and realized she doesn't have to rely on anyone's approval or permission! Rhys did what I would call "growing up" as he realized what he actually wanted in life!
Pamela
What’s not to love?

Who doesn’t love a guy who plays with children? In the snow? Alice and Rhys have a ways to go to admitting they love each other- and yuck on Henry. Such a nice enjoyable read with a great HEA. Christi Caldwell can’t write fast enough for me!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
USA TODAY Bestselling author CHRISTI CALDWELL blames Judith McNaught's "Whitney, My Love!" for luring her into the world of historical romance. While sitting in her graduate school apartment at the University of Connecticut, Christi decided to set aside her notes and pick up her laptop to try her hand at romance. She believes the most perfect heroes and heroines have imperfections, and she rather ...more
More about Christi Caldwell

The Heart of a Duke (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • For Love of the Duke (The Heart of a Duke, #1)
  • More Than a Duke (The Heart of a Duke, #2)
  • The Love of a Rogue (The Heart of a Duke, #3)
  • Loved by a Duke (The Heart of a Duke, #4)
  • To Love a Lord  (The Heart of a Duke, #5)
  • The Heart of a Scoundrel (The Heart of a Duke, #6)
  • To Wed His Christmas Lady (The Heart of a Duke, #7)
  • To Trust a Rogue (The Heart of a Duke, #8)
  • The Lure of a Rake (The Heart of a Duke, #9)
  • To Woo a Widow (The Heart of a Duke, #10)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Life Next Door (Love Not Included Book 3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Undeniable Love (Journey Of Love Book 2)
  • Bittersweet
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)
  • Made for You
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Journey Home
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgettable Love (Journey of Love Book 3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Dear Aaron
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)