Jump to ratings and reviews

Mercy Kilpatrick #4

A Merciful Silence

In the fourth book of the Wall Street Journal bestselling series, FBI agent Mercy Kilpatrick must unlock the mystery of a mass murder, and the secrets of its silent witness…

For Mercy Kilpatrick, returning to rural Oregon has meant coming to terms with her roots. Raised as a prepper, Mercy is now relying on her survivalist instincts to defend her town from the people the law can’t reach. But this time, an investigation calling up a dark past for her and police chief Truman Daly may be hitting too close to home.

A rainstorm has uncovered the remains of five people—a reprise of the distinctive slaughter of two families twenty years ago. Except the convicted killer is in prison. Is this the case of a sick copycat, or is the wrong man behind bars? One person might have the answer. The lone survivor of the decades-old crimes has returned to town still claiming that she can’t remember a thing about the night she was left for dead. As the search for the truth becomes more dangerous, Mercy fears that the traumatized woman may not have buried her memories at all. She might be keeping them a secret. And there’s a price to be paid for revealing them.

351 pages, Kindle Edition

First published June 19, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Kendra Elliot

32 books4,612 followers
An Amazon #1 selling author, Kendra Elliot has sold over 10 Million books and been on the WSJ best seller over a dozen times.

She grew up in the lush Pacific Northwest and still lives there with her family and three cats. She's fascinated with forensics, refuses to eat anything green, and dreams of living every day in flip flops. UPDATE: She now lives in flip flops and watches the sun rise over the ocean every day.

*New series!* THE COLUMBIA RIVER series. THE LAST SISTER. THE SILENCE, and IN THE PINES.

The BONE SECRETS NOVELS: HIDDEN, CHILLED, BURIED, ALONE, KNOWN and VEILED (a novella).

The CALLAHAN & McLANE novels are a spin-off of the Bone Secrets books. VANISHED, BRIDGED, SPIRALED, and TARGETED. THE SILENCE continues Ava and Mason's story. THE LAST SISTER is Zander's story.

The MERCY KILPATRICK series, a spin-off of the CALLAHAN & McLANE series, A MERCIFUL DEATH, A MERCIFUL TRUTH, A MERCIFUL SECRET, A MERCIFUL SILENCE, A MERCIFUL FATE, and A MERCIFUL PROMISE. IN THE PINES is a continuation of Mercy and Truman's story.

She also writes the Widow's Island and Rogue River novellas with Melinda Leigh.

International Thriller Writers finalist, a three time Daphne Du Maurier winner, and a Romantic Times Reviewers Choice finalist.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 643 reviews
Profile Image for Liz.
1,917 reviews2,351 followers
May 29, 2018
The latest in the Mercy Kilpatrick series returns to form. I had been less impressed with book three, which was too heavy on romance and a little light on mystery. But book four is a solid police procedural. Heavy rains have led to the discovery of five skulls, all bashed in the temple and front teeth. The state of the skulls is similar to crimes committed over 20 years. Crimes that were supposedly solved with the murderer in prison.

A secondary story concerns Sovereign Citizens, those folks who think they’re beyond the limits of US laws and taxes. Eagle Rock is home to quite a few folks that lean towards anti-government sentiment. Even getting them to cooperate with a murder investigation is difficult.

Mercy’s anxiety is back in force with the loss of her cabin in book three. And everything happening here tests her both physically and mentally. This is one series I think it’s important to read in order. Elliott does not spend her time rehashing as much as some other series’ authors.

This is a fast paced book that had me on the edge of my seat. I was glad to see that while this was initially meant to be the last book in the series, there will be more. I’ve come to enjoy Mercy and Truman too much to want to leave them now. And I’m hoping that Ollie, a new character introduced later in the book, makes more of an appearance in book five.

My thanks to netgalley and Montclair Romance for an advance copy of this book.

Profile Image for Maureen Carden.
273 reviews70 followers
May 8, 2018
The intriguing FBI agent Mercy Kilpatrick is still a half bubble off plumb in Kendra Elliot’s A Merciful Silence . She can’t seem to shake all of her prepper upbringing which controls part of her life. Mercy is still with Eagle Nest Police Chief Truman Daly; but she hasn’t learned to completely trust her love for him; while Truman’s love for Mercy is all-encompassing.
Elliot is writing much more hardcore suspense in this story. There is a strong love story, but it is the symphony in the background to some tough stuff. Don’t mistake this book for any sort of fluff. A Merciful Silence is the story of two well run police investigations that could keep you up late at night to finish.
Neither the prepper life nor Mercy’s prepper family figure much in A Merciful Silence. Instead of preppers, the frightening sovereign citizens are featured after Truman arrests one of their members in a traffic stop. Let the craziness begin.
There is also the distressing discovery of the remains of five bodies in a culvert that are copy-cat murders, alike in all details to the murders of two families from 20 years ago; murders where the killer has been in jail for years. So, wrongly incarcerated man or a finely trained copycat?
Mercy’s family is not completely absent; there is more of a rapprochement during a town tragedy. Mercy’s sister Rose is present as the book’s Christ-figure bringing hope and serenity after her great suffering.
Elliot introduces two characters, a survivor of the first set of murders and a hermit in the woods who are such counterpoints to the sovereign citizens and to killer of the families. They are a needed reminder to the good in the world.
Mercy grows the most in A Merciful Silence, she is realizing all of the preparation in the world can not act as a shield to what the world throws at her. Truman finds his strength through his deep love for Mercy.
Elliot’s books are always well written with a deep compassion for those who view the world a mite differently. This does not include the sovereign citizens. In this book she is spot on in her portrayal of the sovereign citizens, a group characterized by the FBI as a dangerous domestic terrorist group. She shows them no mercy in her disgust and disdain.
Yes, this is book four in the Mercy Kilpatrick books, yes, you should read the others, but no, you shouldn’t pass this one up in case you get it first.
Thank you to NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Profile Image for Ian.
1,336 reviews188 followers
May 20, 2020
The fourth Mercy Kilpatrick book is difficult. It's dark.
A mass murderer is killing entire families and the method is identical to a killer who was sent to prison 20 years ago. Is the wrong man in prison? Mercy and Truman find themselves hunting down a killer who is also hunting them.

I don't really like Romantic Suspense. I struggle with it. It's either too dark or too derivative. And this book is dark. It's too dark. Too dark for me.

And I'm not really sure why I like it but I do. I guess it's because I really loved so many of the characters.
The woman who survived the mass murderer and now lives a reclusive life with her dog. Loved her.
The boy who lived a hermit's life in the mountains. Loved him.
Mercy. Love her.
Truman. Love him.

I guess if you can't give me a story I love, make good and sure that you give me characters I love and this book, this whole series gives me that in spades.
Profile Image for Jonetta.
2,164 reviews881 followers
June 8, 2020
A heavy rainstorm loosened the ground around the underside of a bridge and revealed a grisly burial site. There lay the remains of what turns out to be a family no one knew was missing. FBI Special Agent Mercy Kilpatrick is stunned not only about the discovery but because it is reminiscent of a similar crime that happened to two families twenty years ago. The man accused of those crimes is still in jail, making this even more perplexing.

These were awful crimes where entire families, including small children, were slaughtered in their homes. The investigation was tough as the clues were slim, challenging Mercy and other agents and local law enforcement, including Police Chief Truman Daly, Mercy’s boyfriend. I was immediately caught up in the case and really enjoyed the police procedurals up until a stunning event that distracted me beyond reason. I won’t divulge the details because you should have the same experience I did...not see it coming. It made the story even more exciting, adding an extremely high level of tension and nervousness that kept me on edge.

I couldn’t stop listening to this story, needing to see resolution so I could relax and ease my fears about characters I’ve come to treasure. The narrator delivered another exceptional performance, capturing all the emotion of the story, both in the moments of excitement and in the characters who were undergoing stress. I wasn’t able to figure out the the mystery of the killings much before it was revealed but I didn’t care because I was swept up into it all. This is such a great series and this a great story.

Posted on Blue Mood Café
Profile Image for Jess☺️.
448 reviews81 followers
April 4, 2020
And Merciful silence by Kendra Elliot is book 4 in the Mercy Kilpatrick and Truman Daly series.
This is fast becoming a favourite series of mine 🤗
So far this one is a little more dark and disturbing it has old murders, new murders, kidnapping and stalking all in one book.
This one is definitely one to keep you one your toes whilst biting nails.
It's fast and pacy like the others but it also leaves you with the hairs on your neck standing to attention.
I'm definitely recommending this 📖
Profile Image for Chris  C - A Midlife Wife.
1,471 reviews260 followers
June 15, 2018
This book is a part of the series so in some aspects I was a bit behind the eight ball. I was not familiar with the previous cases and stories that led to this book. However, the author did a pretty decent job tying the characters together so that the story made sense for me.

This particular story features an FBI agent and her boyfriend who is the chief of police for a small town. The premise of the story was very intense and a bit creepy on its own. And then when bodies started showing up, the race was on.

Several scenes are extreme with raw grit and powerful detail. Plus, with several twists happening, you easily get caught up in the story. With the addition of the romance aspect, there is definitely some worries of the heart going on too, which make this read all the more intense.

The author has a fabulous talent for getting you right in the gut with the feels in all ranges of emotion in this book. Definitely one not to be missed! Now I have to grab some of her prior books in the series to catch up! Kendra Elliot is going on my must read list.

* copy received for review consideration
Profile Image for Melanie.
1,289 reviews263 followers
January 3, 2019
A Merciful Silence was an action-packed and thrilling addition to the Mercy Kilpatrick series with an interesting case for Mercy and some exciting developments for the characters.

Mercy Kilpatrick has come to accept there are people the law can’t get to and she aims to protect her town from those people. Raised as a prepper, a survivalist who prepares for the end of the world as we know it, and now an FBI agent, Mercy has the skills to protect those she cares about. When the remains of five people are uncovered during a rainstorm, Mercy cannot help but see the similarities to the killings of two families twenty years ago. But they caught the killer in those cases, so does Mercy have a copycat or is the wrong man in jail?

Mercy has always been the type to work through issues on her own, but in this book we see Mercy finally opening up and admitting when she needs the help of others. I liked that after the events of the previous book and the injury Mercy sustained, she wasn’t able to immediately bounce back. Mercy doesn’t deal well with limitations, so it was interesting watching her work through one in this book. Mercy and Truman continue to work well together even when they’re not assigned to the same case. I love how they bounce ideas off of each other and help each other on their cases. Their romantic relationship has some fantastic progression in this book and I’m excited to see what the future has in store for them.

The case Mercy works on in this book is brutal and definitely one that holds your attention. I was curious from the beginning how the author would tie together cases that were twenty years apart and I have to say I enjoyed how she did it. I was completely surprised by who the killer was and the lengths they would go to to achieve their goals. There is a secondary case included that Truman was working on which was just as interesting as Mercy’s case and I enjoyed how it tied into everything. My only issue was the pacing of the book was slightly off as we skip ahead in the timeline a few times which threw me out of the story.

A Merciful Silence includes some characters from the author’s Bone Secrets series which was a nice addition for fans of that series. I personally haven’t read those books but I am definitely interested to read them now and hope to pick them up soon.

The Mercy Kilpatrick series is a fantastic romantic suspense series and A Merciful Silence is no exception. I highly recommend this series to anyone looking for a thrilling series to read and I can’t wait for the next book to come out.

**I received an advance copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.**
Profile Image for ☕️Kimberly  (Caffeinated Reviewer).
2,963 reviews630 followers
October 24, 2018
A little time has passed since the previous novel, and Mercy is still recovering from her gunshot wound. The area surrounding Eagle’s Nest has had heavy rains, and a routine check of a local road by the police department discovers part of the mountainside and highway have washed away, revealing the bones of a family, two of them belonging to children. They call a forensic odontologist and Mercy, FBI Agent to the scene. When Mercy sees that the skulls show signs of being bludgeoned to death and their teeth broken she recognizes this serial killer's signature... only he’s been in jail for twenty years.

The case in A Merciful Silence is a tough one as it involves young children. Now Mercy must look to the past to help identify the family and catch a killer. But the killers not done yet. I enjoyed the geekier aspects of the story as we studied the bones. At the end of the book, I discovered there is a character link to the authors Bone Secrets series which has me wanting to begin the series.

As Mercy connects with the lone survivor of the first murders, Truman is dealing with his own bizarre case which will cause a major change in his life. Both soon find themselves in danger as Elliot provides twists, startling discoveries and unearths truths.

Elliot mentions in the back of the book that this book just flowed from her and you can feel it in the writing. She intimately knows her characters. Regardless of the situations they are in, the characters remain true to themselves. We see progress between Mercy and Truman. Get updates on Rose, and the community. We also get to see how appreciated Truman is in Eagle’s Nest. He really has become a member of this quirky town.

A couple of chapters are dedicated to the killer‘s POV. At first I wasn’t sure whose childhood memories we were being given, but wow. The way Elliot brought everything together and revealed the motive was impressive. Dark but impressive.

Fans of romantic suspense, thrillers, and crime cases set in rural America will enjoy this series and its characters. The romantic thread is served as a side dish to the cases, but I’ve enjoyed watching Mercy open-up, trust, and find purpose outside of surviving. This review was originally posted at Caffeinated Reviewer
Profile Image for "Avonna.
1,093 reviews295 followers
January 21, 2019
A MERCIFUL SILENCE (Mercy Kilpatrick #4) by Kendra Elliot is a cross between romantic suspense and mystery/suspense genres. Each book has a standalone mystery/suspense plot, but it also has a building romance involving the main characters of the series which may or may not be prominent in each story. The current book leans more towards being a police procedural with emotionally charged murders in the past and present with extremely high stakes for Mercy and Truman.

FBI Special Agent Mercy Kilpartrick is called to the scene of a washed out road which exposes human skeletal remains. As she works to discover the identity of the remains, she remembers two families that were murdered in the exact same manner 20 years ago. The killer has always maintained his innocence and is still in prison. Copycat or has the wrong man been in prison all these years?

When the sole survivor of one of the old murdered families returns to town, Mercy is not sure what to make of the woman. She asks for Mercy’s help because she believes she is being stalked. Mercy feels she knows more than she is telling about that long ago murder. Is she somehow a part of the current murders or is she a lose end that needs to be eliminated?

As Mercy works her case, Eagle’s Nest Chief of Police Truman Daly has a unique traffic stop with a young man who shows illegal ID and claims to be a sovereign citizen. While jailed, he sends Truman a letter claiming he owns him 3 million dollars for an illegitimate arrest. Truman does not know whether to take this seriously or as a joke. These sovereign citizens do not want anyone interfering in their business. Truman and his police vehicle disappear and there is blood on the driveway.

I could not put this book down!

Mercy and Truman both go through so much in this book. Even as they are apart, it is the fight to get home to the other that gives them their strength. Mercy realizes no amount of prep can prepare her for everything. She learns it is OK to sometimes rely on family and friends. Truman’s love for Mercy is his strength and reason to continue on even when he thinks he cannot. This was definitely an edge-of-your-seat read with both cases having such high stakes.

I believe you should read this series in order as the characters grow and change in each book as in real life. I highly recommend this series. Mercy is a memorable character.
51 reviews33 followers
June 20, 2020
This is the fourth book in this series and the punches keep on coming. This was no exception, the mystery and the thrill, and especially what happens to Truman.

Love this series!
Profile Image for Henry.
593 reviews26 followers
May 16, 2021
The fourth and in my opinion the best yet in Elliott's Mercy Kilpatrick series.
Profile Image for Maureen ~Bitch Can Write A Book.
1,039 reviews18 followers
June 19, 2018
This series keeps getting better and better. And this one was absolutely epic.

It was the perfect blend of mystery, suspense and romance. I love Mercy & Truman, I love how their minds work, I love the aspect of their law enforcement expertise. I don’t do spoilers but I will say at parts of this story my heart was breaking for Mercy.

I was literally engrossed in this story, it had so many twists and turns. I couldn’t put it down. This author literally grabs you and sucks you in. It’s well written and her voice is unique. I’m so looking forward to more.
Profile Image for Jean.
398 reviews52 followers
July 30, 2018
A Merciful Silence is the 4rth book in the Mercy Kilpatrick series. I really enjoy this romantic suspense series. It was a slow start for me but I was totally engrossed by the halfway point. So much suspense and edge-of-your-seat moments.

I highly recommend all the books in this series but this book could be read as a stand-alone. Can't wait to read the next one.

Thank you to NetGalley and Montlake Romance for a copy of Kendra Elliot's "A Merciful Silence" in exchange of an honest review.
Profile Image for Teresa.
472 reviews125 followers
October 14, 2020
A Merciful Silence is another strong entry in the Mercy Kilpatrick series. Mercy is an FBI agent, formerly raised in a “prepper” survivalist family in rural Oregon. Estranged from her family for fifteen years, she is just starting to make progress making amends. Suddenly, the remains of five people are found after a huge rainstorm triggering the reprisal of a former case. This book tests Mercy and Sheriff Truman Daly’s love and proves it can weather any storm. My passion for these books is growing. Once again I listened to this book on Audible with the wonderful narrator Teri Schaubelt. I gave this book 4 ½ stars rounded down to 4.
Profile Image for CD {Boulder Blvd}.
963 reviews87 followers
July 14, 2018
Another good book in the series and it also reinforces why I follow Kendra Elliot and this series in particular.

I like the primary character of FBI agent Mercy Kilpatrick. Her unique background of being born within a prepper community of Oregon gives this series a fresh and unique perspective. Her boyfriend, Truman Daly is a great beta hero. The main plot of this book is really interesting and I enjoyed the subplot as well. The supporting cast is well developed. This was a difficult book to put down and I kept reading until I couldn't keep my eyes open.
Profile Image for Robin.
1,670 reviews59 followers
June 9, 2020
After days of rain, a washed-out road uncovers the skeletal remains of several bodies in a culvert. The skulls have blunt force trauma. Their mouths show similar injuries. The circumstances remind FBI Agent Mercy Kilpatrick of the murder of two families twenty years ago. A man was convicted of those murders and is currently serving a life sentence. Could he be innocent or is this a copycat?

I was pulled right into this story, learning about the past murders and wondering where the investigation would lead. Mercy and her boyfriend, Police Chief Truman Daly, work various aspects of the crime while waiting for the Forensic experts to identify the remains. I thought I had the killer picked out until a shocking event in the middle of the book changed everything.

This was another winner by Kendra Elliot. I actually stayed up half the night reading this book. I'm impressed that the author keeps topping herself with each book in the series. My rating: 5 Stars.
Profile Image for Kathy Martin.
3,292 reviews73 followers
May 16, 2018
As this fourth Mercy Kilpatrick books begins, Mercy is recovering from being shot in the thigh. She is also dealing with the anxiety she feels since her hidden cabin and many of her supplies were destroyed in a fire. As a person raised as a prepper, the loss of her place is making her uneasy. She is also having some difficulty letting her boyfriend Truman help with the decisions about the new cabin that is being built. Neither she nor Truman are used to sharing decisions but need to come to terms with it if they want their new relationship to prosper.

Both Mercy as a FBI Agent and Truman as the Chief of Police in Eagle's Bend are busy with their various cases. Mercy is called to a scene where the bones of five people have been discovered having been bludgeoned to death and had their teeth knocked out. This brings to mind a similar case from twenty years earlier where two families were found in their homes murdered the same way. The only problem is that the man convicted of those crimes has been and still is in prison.

As Mercy is looking into those old crimes and tracking down the single survivor who has returned to Eagle's Bend for the first time since the crimes were committed, Truman is dealing with the more ordinary tasks of his day from a traffic stop of a Sovereign Citizen using false ID and illegal license plates to the man who gathers bunches of traffic tickets for parking in front of a fire hydrant by his house to breaking up a bar fight between drunken brothers.

As Mercy struggles to identify the family represented by the bones and wondering why no one has reported them missing, a second family is found in their home killed the same way. Meanwhile, a reporter who has been harassing Mercy turns his eyes to the survivor and opens her up to attacks on social media.

Mercy's and Truman's cases overlap and the tension really builds when Truman goes missing. Mercy realizes how much she has let Truman into her life. After being rejected by her family fifteen years earlier and only now becoming reconciled with them, Mercy isn't good at opening herself up to others. Meanwhile, Truman is in a very dangerous situation.

This was another excellent entry into the Mercy Kilpatrick series. Fans of the series won't want to miss this one.
Profile Image for Carolyn.
2,020 reviews
June 21, 2018
I just love this series. I was worried that it was not going to continue, but was happy to see there will be more to come. Excellent writing, wonderful, complex characters, terrific mystery and, at times, edge of your seat tension. Yep, it is a keeper!
Profile Image for Luli.
662 reviews73 followers
June 6, 2018
You can find this review in English below.

4,5 estrellas.
Otra fantástica e interesante historia de la Sra. Elliot.
Esta es la cuarta entrega de una serie que me tiene entusiasmada. No soy fan de las series, suelen aburrirme muy pronto porque se vuelven predecibles y repetitivas. Bajo ninguna circunstancia se pueden aplicar aquí esas premisas. Cada historia tiene su proporción secreta de ingredientes (romance/suspense/relaciones) y todas funcionan.

En este caso, el comienzo de la historia ha sido lento, preocupantemente lento. Entiendo que a estas alturas en la serie, la autora dirige su obra a los fans incondicionales de la pareja Mercy&Truman, y se puede permitir el recurso de destinar prácticamente la primera mitad del libro a presentar y asentar la trama. Pero se ha hecho pesado.
Todo tiene su explicación, por supuesto, y a partir del 47% la trama explota y no hay ya ni un segundo de paz. Las piezas del puzzle van, cuidadosamente, cayendo en su sitio y se va abriendo la visión de túnel tan agobiante (en el buen sentido de la palabra) que circunda la historia. El lector tiene prácticamente la misma información que los protagonistas, vamos descubriendo el suspense a la par. Y aunque hay unos cuantos capítulos desde el punto de vista del malo, cosa de la que tampoco soy fan, no es una fuente de información sino de nervios…
No hay descanso. Nada ni nadie es lo que parece y el tiempo parece no avanzar cuando las pistas no conducen a ningún sitio y la investigación no tiene oxígeno. Pero una palabra aquí o un golpe de suerte allá y de nuevo la acción es trepidante, con giros inesperados y tensión por doquier.

Los personajes de la Sra. Kendra han andado un largo camino. Han madurado y crecido ante mis ojos y se han convertido en personas diferentes, más complejas, más humanas, más cercanas, más fáciles de entender. Este es uno de los puntos fuertes de la autora. Mercy era un personaje complicado y difícil de querer, pero a estas alturas ya no recuerdo qué era aquello que no me gustaba de ella. Truman sigue siendo el héroe perfecto, caballeroso, paciente, que antepone las prioridades de Mercy a las suyas propias porque sabe qué es lo que ella necesita. Y en esta ocasión hemos vivido un intenso capítulo en su romance. Parece ser que ya han encontrado ese sitio en común desde el que van a ir planeando su vida de una manera más afianzada.

El suspense, como siempre, ha sido original. Duro y perturbador a ratos, pero sólido y original. El hecho de que se sigan solapando las nuevas investigaciones con los problemas de siempre favorece a la historia, porque nos da cierto descanso entre escenas muy intensas, nos da tiempo para bajar el nivel de estrés y continuar leyendo. Este es el otro punto fuerte de la autora. Sus suspenses siempre tienen ese algo más que busco cuando leo este género.

Y la guinda del pastel ha sido la total y absoluta falta de melodrama familiar, que en entregas anteriores, tenía un peso considerable dentro de la historia. No era mi aspecto favorito así que me ha parecido perfecto. Además, poniendo un poco de tierra de por medio quizás la próxima vez que la familia entre en acción estaré más receptiva. Por ahora sigo pensando que son una pandilla de descerebrados. Pero quién sabe, conociendo a esta autora, un par de libros más y serán mi gente favorita.

Una serie muy recomendable y altamente entretenida.

***

4,5 stars.
Another fantastic and interesting story by Ms. Elliot.
This is the fourth installment in a series which I´m crazy about. And I am not a fan of series, not by a long shot, usually they bored me too soon because they become predictable and repetitive. Under no circumstances can these premises be applied here. Each story it´s different. Each one has its secret proportion of ingredients (romance/suspense/relationships) and they work beautifully.

In this case, the beginning of the story has been slow, worryingly slowly. I understand that, at this point in the series, the author directs her work to Mercy&Truman unconditional fans, and can afford the resource to allocate practically the first half of the book to introduce and settle the plot. But it was a bit dull.
But everything has its explanation, of course, and from 47% the plot explodes and there is no longer a second of peace. The pieces of the puzzle are, carefully, falling into place and the story is gradually losing its overwhelming (in the good sense of the word) tunnel vision. The reader knows practically the same as the MC´s. And although there are even a few chapters from the bad guy´s POV (not a fan of this either) it isn´t a source of information but of nerves…
There's no rest. Nothing and no one is what it seems to be and time seems not to advance when the clues lead to nowhere and the investigation has no oxygen. But a word in the right ear or a stroke of luck there and the action is again fast-paced, with unexpected twists and tension everywhere.

Mrs. Kendra's characters have gone a long way. They have matured and grown before my eyes and have become different people, more complex, more human, closer, easier to understand. This is one of the author's strengths. Mercy was a complicated and difficult character to love, but at this point I don't remember what it was what I didn't like about her. Truman is still the perfect, chivalrous, patient hero who puts Mercy's priorities before his own because he knows what she needs. And this time we have lived an intense chapter in their romance. It seems that they have already found that common place from which they will be planning their lives in a more consolidate way.

The suspense, as always, has been original. Dark and disturbing at times, but solid and original. The fact that the usual problems overlap the new suspense suits the story, because it provides a rest between very intense scenes, gives us time to lower the stress level and to continue reading. This is the other author´s strong point. Her suspense always have that something more I seek.

And the icing on the cake has been the total and absolute lack of family melodrama, which in previous installments, had a considerable weight within the story. It was not my favorite aspect so it was perfect for me. Also, if absence makes the heart grow fonder maybe the next time the family shows I'll be more responsive. For now, I still think they are (almost all of them)a bunch of fools. But who knows, knowing this author the way I do, a couple more books in and they're going to be my favorite people in the world.

A highly recommended and very enjoyable series.
Profile Image for Carla.
5,720 reviews121 followers
October 26, 2018
The latest in the Mercy Kilpatrick series is a solid crime/police procedural/thriller. This series is best read in order as the books continue on from where the last one left off as far as Mercy and Truman go, but with a new crime/mystery.

With heavy rain and flooding in Eagle Rock, five skulls and bones have been discovered in a ditch/culvert. Each of them have been bashed in the temple and mouth. When the coroner looks at the bones, she immediately recognizes the similarity to a case from over 20 years ago. A man was convicted of those crimes and is in prison. Did they arrest and convict the wrong person? Coincidentally, the one surviving family member of that earlier crime is back in Eagle's Nest, hoping to be able to put her ghosts to rest. There is also a secondary plot line with the Sovereign Citizens living in the woods of Eagle Rock. Truman stops one for speeding and he ends up in jail after resisting arrest. He then sues Truman and more troubles erupt there. Trying to get information from the anti-government preppers and sovereign citizens is not easy and hampers the investigation at times.

Mercy’s anxiety is back in force with the loss of her cabin in book three. She is also dealing with a physical recovery from her injuries, but this does not stop her. I like seeing this side of Mercy, it made her seem more vulnerable and ultimately, more realistic. She takes center stage in this story, and showed her strength of character as well as an agent. Truman is not as integral in the investigation in this book, but as you read it you will see the reason behind that and how well it fits into the plot. We meet some other characters involved in the police forces in the area and I hope they will continue to be present in the next book, it adds a bit more realism. This is a fast paced book that had me on the edge of my seat. I’ve come to enjoy Mercy and Truman very much and enjoy how their relationship has evolved. I liked the character of Ollie who Truman takes under his wing. I would love to see more of him in the next book. Do I see a new spinoff series in the future here? The publisher, Montlake Romance, generously provided me with a copy of this book to read. The rating, ideas and opinions shared are my own.
Profile Image for Linda .
1,781 reviews244 followers
April 10, 2019
If you haven’t already noticed, I love this series. Mercy is awesome. She is so relatably human. Her father did a number on her when she chose to live in the outside world and pursue her education. Most of her immediate family sided with him at the time which deepened her insecurities.

But now she has Truman. I. Love. This. Guy. I have been crushing on this couple since they first got together. Their relationship gets better and better and their trust and support are superb. And when Truman was kidnapped…!

Oh, yeah, there was plenty of suspense. Where does Ms. Elliot come up with these ideas?
Profile Image for Cindy.
2,216 reviews133 followers
March 24, 2018
A Merciful Silence doubles the trouble with the duel plots of a vicious family killer and anti-government extremists. FBI Agent Mercy Kilpatrick and her boyfriend Police Chief Truman Daly have their hands full with both and neither come away without suffering emotional and physical harm. Mercy's ordeal through out the book has her by the end making some big decisions with her personal life – something she had been reluctant to fully commit to because of her past. The body count was high in this one and the nature of the killings gruesome. My favorite kind of suspense :)

Bonus... It always a treat when an author decides to mix in her other series characters. For the investigation into recently uncovering of the remains of five people, Dr Victoria Peres, who is a forensic anthropologist, and Dr Lacey (Campbell) Harper, who is a forensic odontologist, from the Bones Secrets series are called in to help identify the bones. I would love to have a series with just these two and the cases they sol
Profile Image for Anita.
2,029 reviews136 followers
June 19, 2018

Number Four in the Mercy Kilpatrick series and I hope there will be many, many more. If you are contemplating this as your first book in the series, please reconsider and start at the beginning. Mercy grows with each book and it is wonderful when the author takes us with her on this journey. I feel sorry for the State of Oregon. It seems that a lot of their citizens are missing a few screws. I know some really great people who live in Oregon and that is just not true, but we meet yet another fringe group in this book.

Mercy Kilpatrick was raised in a prepper family and the need to be prepared for the breakdown of society is strong for her, even being an FBI Agent. She is morning the loss of her hidden cabin while recovering from a gunshot wound to her leg. Her relationship with Eagle's Nest Police Chief, Truman Daly, is growing and strengthening, something that scares loner Mercy to death.

Mercy is called in when torrential rainstorms lead to the discovery of the remains of five people. The manner of their death causes Mercy to recall to deaths of two other families from over twenty years ago. The similarities are frightening in their implications and when others are murdered in the same way the question is: was the wrong man convicted or is this a copycat? One woman might hold the answer to that question. The lone survivor of these attacks over twenty years ago is back in the area, but she is deeply scared and doesn't want to dredge up that part of her past.

Truman has his own cases that are causing problems. After a traffic stop with a "Sovereign Citizen" or SC, Truman goes missing and now Mercy has several dead bodies and a missing Truman. As Mercy searches for answers, she kicks over a hornets nest and may pay the price.
4 1/2-Stars
Profile Image for Paula  Phillips.
4,756 reviews285 followers
September 23, 2019
We are back with our favorite FBI agent Mercy Kilpatrick and her partner Truman who is the sheriff of the small town they live in. One of my favorite mystery writers is Kendra Elliot as I find her books fast-paced and they are action-packed. They also have flashbacks to past cases which I enjoy. In A Merciful Silence, the town has had a rainstorm and a group of five skulls has washed up in the ravine. When Mercy sees the skulls, she is reminded of a couple of cases that happened when she was in primary school over twenty years ago when two families were murdered in the same way. Is this a case of a copycat as the killer has been locked up for twenty years or did they arrest the wrong person? Meanwhile the only survivor of one of the original attacks Britta has moved back to town and now with the killings starting back up, is she in danger? Is the killer coming back to finish what he started over twenty years ago? The other storyline in this book is with the SC aka the Sovereign of Christ who believes that the US has no control over them and they have their own rights. Truman lands himself on the wrong side of this group and finds himself kidnapped. A week later, will he survive this ordeal when a savior arrives in the form of Ollie and Shep - we know this duo from the later books as he became Truman's adopted son or will he be left with PTSD and a crumbling relationship with Mercy when he returns back to civilization. If you are on the lookout for a new female mystery writer to read then check out Kendra Elliot as you won't be disappointed.
Profile Image for Jennifer.
2,693 reviews6 followers
July 18, 2018
2.75 stars. Another solid installment of the Mercy Kilpatrick series. There was a little bit too much frustrating action in this one, though. And I wish that both the MCs didn't need some traumatic or horrible happening to one of them to make important relationship decisions. Overall, this wasn't my favourite of the series nor was it my least favourite.
Profile Image for Anne - Books of My Heart.
2,875 reviews190 followers
June 14, 2018
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from NetGalley. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I was happy to continue the  Mercy Kilpatrick series.  This feels more  crime/ mystery suspense than a romance. There is kissing but the sex is mostly off page. I've enjoyed the world-building of this small town in a rural mountain area with many survivalists. The preppers are fascinating to me and cool; I love DYI and self-sufficient people.

I'm loving the continued development of the main characters.  There are members of Mercy's family and other townspeople who are involved very briefly. If you have not read the previous books, you would not know them or their personalities very well at all. But their parts are brief this time.  The focus is on Mercy and Truman, and the people involved in the current cases. There is a small tie in to the Bone Secrets series in the forensic work. A Merciful Silence is primarily a police / FBI procedural looking into serial killer(s) and missing persons.

I really enjoyed the suspense and evidence collections, as well as the action scenes. The overall plot is not too complex but it is certainly kept me worried and engrossed.  I was pleased to read though the original plan was for four books, the series will have at least two more books!

Profile Image for Book Him Danno.
2,394 reviews54 followers
May 18, 2018
This is the 4th book in the Mercy Kilpatrick this is not a stand alone novel but a series that readers will want to start at the beginning with.
Kendra Elliot creates an amazing world would Mercy tries to do what she feels is right even though the way she was raised tells her otherwise. The characters stay true to who they are from the beginning of the series which will keep readers wanting more as they series continues. Readers will struggle along with Mercy as she fights to keep herself independent but wanting to rely on the one person she has started to care for outside of her family police chief Truman Daly.
A merciful Silence is a summer must read. It keeps readers immersed in a world they might have never know existed.
Thank you to Netgalley and the Publisher Montlake Romance for the Advance Copy of Kendra Elliot A Merciful Silence.
Must Read Series!
Profile Image for ⚜️XAR the Bookwyrm.
2,311 reviews17 followers
June 19, 2018
FTC DISCLAIMER: I RECEIVED AN E-ARC FROM THE PUBLISHER THROUGH NET GALLEY. I VOLUNTARILY OFFER MY HONEST REVIEW OF THE BOOK, THOUGH IT IS NOT EXPECTED OF ME! RECEIPT OF THIS BOOK IN THIS MANNER DOES NOT AFFECT MY OPINION OF THE BOOK OR THE CONTENT OF MY REVIEW!

The Mercy Kilpatrick series is one that I've struggled with quite a bit, but have not been willing to give up on, and this book has made me glad I haven't, because I really enjoyed this story! It still took me a bit to read it, but I wasn't as reluctant to read it as previous books in the series.

Mercy is still recovering from the events of the previous book, and it shows through in various ways. I have to say, I like seeing this side of Mercy, it made her seem more vulnerable and ultimately, more realistic. She takes center stage in this story, and I must admit, I liked what I saw of her strength as an agent. However, it wasn't really a partnership between her and Truman like it had been in the past. He felt more like a secondary character in this story, and it didn't sit right with me.

All things considered, this was one of the better stories in the series. I liked the support from some of the Bone Secrets characters, and would eventually like to see one big universe created out of all three series. I am very interested to see what happens next in this world!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 643 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.