Start by marking “Atlanta Nights” as Want to Read:
Atlanta Nights

Atlanta Nights

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  94 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
The world is full of bad books written by amateurs. But why settle for the merely regrettable? Atlanta Nights is a bad book written by experts. -- T. Nielsen Hayden

Atlanta Nights is a book that could only have been produced by an author well-versed in believable storylines, set in conditions that exist today, with believable every-day characters. Accepted by a Traditional
Published January 26th 2005 by

To ask other readers questions about Atlanta Nights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Atlanta Nights

Brenda Clough
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am the author of Chapter 39. And I can testify that it is very, very HARD to write badly.
I set a number of ground rules for myself: maximal cursing and four-letter words. Per Ursula LeGuin's dictum, using "ichor". Nothing could happen and it would go nowhere. And, as dictated by the basic setup, I had no idea what any of the other authors were doing.
I am sorry to report that it was impossible. Conflict and character insisted upon appearing. People kept doing things. I did manage to make Bruc
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have read many mystery novels in my time, but few as engaging as Atlanta Nights. Very few novels are able to reach its depth of character. The novel concerns the death of Henry Archer, a multimillionaire businessman. Even when dead, he remains a force over everyone who met him, like his spirit just won't go away. Most of the book details the lives of the people who knew him and how they cope with his death, but there always seems to be something sinister lurking in the background.

A brief plot
Luke Harrington
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
It, uh, delivers exactly what it promises. It's a really, really terrible book.
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Atlanta Knights is a book. With a storie. When you've finished, you won't believe what you just read.
Dec 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
“Atlanta Nights” is probably the worst book ever written. And it’s also one of the best reads you’ll ever have in your life. Before you dismiss me as some crazy person, read on. In 2004, a group of science fiction and fantasy authors decided to expose a supposedly traditional publishing house, PublishAmerica, to actually being a vanity press.

Under the “direction” of James D. MacDonald, the group of authors – each writing only one chapter with only basic knowledge of the overall plot and/or chara
Mar 29, 2013 added it
What I got from reading this is that decent authors attempting to write the worst thing they could come up with was still better than a lot of the terribleness by genuinely inept authors you see in the really awful fiction/fanfic.

Not the worst book ever written.
Ashley Carmichael
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was hideously genius. God bless my student for recommending it to me because it truly was a beautiful hot mess.
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: English Students, Teachers, Writers
Shelves: humor
Oh how I love this book.

Don't get me wrong, I like good books, good stories, characters that are well thought out, plots that are well thought through.

Sometimes though you want something different. Very different in this case.

Now it is better written than many stories on Wattpad or The authors are just to good to actually write horrible. But instead of terrible written by utter beginners and hacks this is terrible written by good authors. A refreshing difference as this book g
Anthony Sementilli
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Okay, this gets a special review because it wasn't reallyyyyy a book haha.

I know the story, and if you are reading this, then you probably know it, too. Give it a read. I wanted to support the writers in their effort, and I'm glad I did, because it was a good cause for the benefit of all writers.

I was hoping it would be a great "how to not" manual, but, sadly for PublishAmerica, it was so poorly done that a monkey would know it's not well made!

That being said, as bad as it is, its hysterical, wh
Emrullah Koyunlu
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is easily the worst book I have ever read, no competition.

So you might ask, why the hell you gave it five stars. It is because this is a book written by a collection of amazing writers, gathered together and trying to create the worst book they could ever write.
It is filled with abhorrent description, most soulless characters that could be even conceived, and a terrible plot. I don't remember how many times I have laughed out loud while reading it.

There was another benefit of this book, tho
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, funny
This was a re-read, and it was every bit as mind-boggling and giggle-inducing second time around.

ATLANTA NIGHTS is possibly the best intentionally-badly-written book out there. Chapter 10, for example, is a masterclass in adverb abuse. There are homophone errors aplenty, egregious lapses in continuity and enough head-hopping to induce travel sickness.

And yet, for all their valiant efforts, those behind "Travis Tea" couldn't quite lower the bar to EYE OF ARGON or MOON PEOPLE levels.

They couldn'
Sarah LeFay
The sole reason I didn't name the shelf for my least favorite books "Worst Books Ever." If I hadn't known it were all intentional, I would have lost all faith in humanity. Fortunately, I read the Wikipedia article before the actual book and it stands as one of the funniest things I've ever read. "He had once killed a man with his bare hands and he would do it again, provided he could put something in his bare hands like a knife or a gun to kill a man with." ...No ordinary person can write someth ...more
Thomas Howe
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is, like, the best book I ever read. It just exists in my mind as a tribute to things that I understand, and will live on forever, literally. You MUST read this book if you want to understand what people are, and, if you don't, you'll miss out on things that they percieve in life. Get it, now. You wont be at a lack of disappointment; and it will move you like nothing else I've read. Thank you, Mr. Tea. You did the world a favor by being born. It is 1 of the best uses of paper and ink w ...more
Rich Meyer
Dec 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
While this may have been written in order to prove that PublishAmerica had no ethics or editorial sense, the book is a fun read. And still makes more sense than sparkly vampires. It not very satisfying, but it is the epitome of the horrid self-published novel. It's kinds funny when you look at the whole thing, with characters and whole plotlines changing from chapter-to-chapter. It is also considerably easier to read knowing it was done on purpose.
Elwyn Clement
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
" he was mad at all of them for ruining his day. He was mad enough to hurt somebody. He’d killed a man before one time, with his bare hands, and he could do it again, if he put something in his bare hands like a knife or a gun or something that he could kill somebody with."

'Bout sums it up.
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
A masterpiece of such incredible scope and brilliance that you will weep glorious tears.
Kevin Saunders
Nov 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The best and worst book I have ever written
E.D. Martin
I honestly don't know how to rate this. It's brilliant in its horribleness. To purposefully write that bad takes a lot of talent.
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour
An audacious tale of sex, romance, money and power that will not fail to amaze you and leave you quivering with emotion.
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A book, I will pick up and read out loud a chapter at a time. It is that bad. Thoroughly enjoyable!
Kenny K
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is just exists.
May 08, 2008 marked it as abandoned
  • The Sound of His Horn
  • Some Of Us Had Been Threatening Our Friend Colby
  • Cory Doctorow's Futuristic Tales Of The Here And Now
  • It Came from Below the Belt
  • The Chinese Parrot (Charlie Chan, #2)
  • Dark Places

• Finding Rebecca
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Baker's Daughter
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99