Start by marking “The Perfect Murder (DC Harriet Taylor, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Murder (DC Harriet Taylor, #2)

The Perfect Murder

(DC Harriet Taylor #2)

From #1 best-selling author Stewart Giles comes the new mystery set on the Cornish coast. Where the pretty villages and towns hold some very dark secrets.

COULD YOU COMMIT THE PERFECT MURDER?

Two cats are found mutilated in the same town. Detective Harriet Taylor is reluctant to investigate, but then one of their owners is killed a bizarre way that same day.

Harriet and
Published November 14th 2017 by Joffe Books Crime, Thriller and Mystery

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perfect Murder

Start your review of The Perfect Murder (DC Harriet Taylor, #2)
Linda Strong

Detective Harriet Taylor is new to her post, but she loves the small town lack of crime... until today.

Two cats are found mutilated.. in the same neighborhood. Because the supervisor is a cat lover, she and her team are dispatched to investigate. They do their duty but honestly cannot see why the homicide department should be looking into this. But several hours later, a woman who had found her cat on her porch, is now found dead herself in her garage. There are four words printed on the back of
Gary
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd book in the Harriet Taylor series by author Stewart Giles but the 1st book I have read by this author.
When two cats are found mutilated in the small Cornish town of Trotterdown it is investigated because the supervisor is a cat lover. Several hours later, a woman who had found her cat on her porch, is now found dead herself in her garage with four words printed on the back of her neck. DC Harriet Taylor now fear there is a serial killer on the loose.
I found this to be a very ent
Books 'n' All  Promotions
I have been looking forward to meeting Harriet Taylor again, after reading The Beekeeper, and I wasn’t disappointed.

This is a fast paced story with dead end's and curve ball's a many as we join the team in a race to uncover the murderer before any more people die. Stewart has brilliantly created a murderer that turns on its head everything you thought you knew about the profile of a serial killer. Excellent read.

The story begins with the death of 2 cats and from that point I was hooked and just
Elaine Tomasso
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley and Joffe Books for an advance copy of The Perfect Murder, the second novel to feature DC Harriet Taylor of the Cornish police.

It's extremely quiet at Trotterdown station but even so the team are not happy to be sent out to investigate two dead cats until they realise the cats have had their ears, noses and paws cut off. Still, there are grumbles about time wasting until one of the owners is found electrocuted by the spade she was going to bury the cat with.

I thor
Nicki
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Detective Harriet Taylor is not very impressed when she is sent to investigate the mutilation of two cats in the same town.Surely that is a case for the R.S.P.C.A not the police.But then things take a sinister turn when one of the cat owners is found dead on the same day.

The woman had four words written on her neck.When another body is discovered to also have four words written on it,Harriet begins to wonder if the small Cornish town of Totterdown might have its very first serial killer.

Can Harr
Books 'n' All  Promotions
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Simon Leonard
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The start of the book is one of the best introductions I have read this year, with a man committing the perfect murder by drowning a lady in a bath tub, but all is not as it seems.

The story then progresses to a sleepy little village in Cornwall with the local police getting bored. This is until two cats are left mutilated outside their respective owner’s houses. When the police investigate they find a dead body in one of the owner’s garages so start to investigate this.

Shortly after this more de
Donna Maguire

I am a massive fan of crime fiction and I love reading the new releases in this genre and I do get excited by certain authors and this was a book I had been looking forward too from when I found it was due to be released.

Well now I have read  the book I have to say that I wasn't disappointed at all and I LOVED this book!!  For me it is a gritty, fast paced story that held my attention until the very end. The writing style is superb and it flows so well to
Joyce
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stars

DC Harriet Taylor receives a request to investigate the killing and mutilation of two cats in the town of Trotterdown. (I hate this kind of violence against animals in books.) Harriet and PC White speak to the owners of the cats. Both mention that they are going to bury their pets. After returning to the station, they learn that they needed to ask more questions of the pet owners. Returning to the neighborhood, Harriet discovers the body of the woman Jane McDonald in the shed clutching a
Misfits farm
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s quiet at the station for a change so when two reports of mutilated cats come in from the same street, the team go round if only to get out for a while. Suddenly things take a turn for the worse and murder is involved- not of cats but humans. They have never dealt with a serial killer before and as the bodies mount it is becoming more and more likely. A brilliant start for a plot. DI Killian has things going on at home as well as work and the team have to pull together and use their initiati ...more
booklover BEV
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
a perfect murder with lots of twists. really enjoyed this book
Ameetha Widdershins
An extremely quick read. To me, this is like a penny dreadful, a quickly churned out novella for an audience that wants to satisfy their appetites for thrills by reading murder mysteries. The genre is the lure, not necessarily the writing or the characters. It’s fine for what it is. However for readers who want more style and substance from their books, this is not the right sort of read.
The characters have no depth; they’re practically caricatures, a feature that likely works well for readers
Em__Jay
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
What a great start to the book! We are at the scene while the perfect murder occurs. But wait! We soon discover that this murder hasn’t happened. It’s the work of a writer who is sharing his story with his writing group.

In the space of a few days, we discover that all the fictitious ‘Perfect Murder’ stories read aloud that night are being enacted in real life. Suspicion immediately falls on the writing group members as they are the only people who heard the stories.

Detective Harriet Taylor and h
Alyson Read
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book featuring DC Harriet Taylor of the Trotterdown police and what a great follow up! Two pet cats are found murdered and mutilated in the same street. Police at Trotterdown station think investigating would be a waste of time until their cat lover Superintendent tells them otherwise. And what a good job they do, since one of the cat owners is found dead in a most bizarre manner the very same day. And written on her body are four strange words. The police are puzzled until a ...more
Sheila Howes
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*Thank you to Jill Burkinshaw and the team at Joffe Books for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review*

DC Harriet Taylor and her team are having an unusually peaceful time at their station when two strange phone calls come in about neighbours with dead cats. As the team has nothing else to do, they are sent to investigate. Hours later, one of the neighbours is murdered in a very peculiar way.

When another murder is committed, they start to look for connections, but there seem to be none.
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
The quiet village of Trotterdown in Cornwall may have a serial killer on the loose…

The book opens with DC Harriet Taylor and her colleagues complaining that it’s too quiet but they should be careful what they wish for! Two cats are mutilated which they don’t take seriously until one of the owners is found murdered later the very same day. Another death follows then another, all linked by the four strange words written on their neck.

This book is part of a series, and the first I’ve read by this a
Nerys Roberts
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Detective Harriet Taylor has been called to investigate two deaths - two cats have been killed and mutilated and left on their owners’ doorsteps. A few hours later one of the owners is dead - electrocuted before she could bury the cat’s body and the killer has written a message on her body. The following day a teenage boy falls into a quarry while at an outdoor party with friends - seems like an accident but there’s writing on him too. The investigation seems to be going nowhere until there is a ...more
Bev
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, have-read
This story is about a small town in it is a writers group who is writing a story on how to commit the perfect murder. First two cats are killed, then two people are killed. Detective Harriet Taylor really doesn't want to investigate this, but when all four have the killer's "calling card" on them, she has no choice. Even though this is a murder story, there is still humor in it, which makes it enjoyable to read. Can Detective Harriet figure out if someone in the writer's group is trying out thei ...more
Marion
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this second book of the DC Harriet Taylor series, Harriet and her team have a series of bizarre deaths to investigate.
It all starts with the killing and mutilation of two cats which are found on their owners doorstep.
Perfunctory enquiries are made but when one of the cats owners is found a few hours later, electrocuted in her garage, with four words printed on the back of her neck
the investigations pick up pace, especially when another victim turns up with another four words written on them
Joanna Larum
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Literally from the first page, I was hooked on this book. As a cat lover, I was appalled at what happened to the cats but, when the first murder was discovered, I couldn't put the book down. I loved the setting and the attempts by the writing group to describe the perfect murder were all ingenious.
I haven't read Stewart Giles previous book but that wasn't a problem as the book can be read alone. The police are presented as real people with their own prejudices and problems and I loved the dashes
Leez
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm closing the tour today and would like to thank Joffe Books and Jill for allowing me to read a copy in exchange for an unbiased opinion.

And my opinion?

Another fantastic offering from Stewart Giles! If you she read The Beekeeper, read this, if you haven't, make sure you do. These are (fairly short) easy reading books, with a unsuspecting twist. Again I was surprised at the ending. What I enjoy most about these books are they are easy to read, with prose that flows well. The stories don't have
Susan
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two cats have been killed and then one of the owners and it's DI Jack Killian's job, with the help of DC Harriet Taylor to investigate. But how many more deaths will there be before they can stop the murderer. And is there any link to the local creative writing group and their recent stories.
An enjoyable, easily read mystery which can be read as a standalone story.
Received an Advanced Reader Copy
David Ray Siders
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A nice easy read

It’s a decent read. Not too many twists or turns. I enjoyed not having to wade through a bunch of filthy language for a change. Too many authors equate continuous cursing and foul language as a substitute for quality writing.
Greta Halliday
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A unique storyline that flowed to the end. Interesting characters and all in all an extremely well written book.
Cheryl
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
The premise of this book was great, but unfortunately it didn't fulfil it's potential.
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another brilliant read by Stewart Giles. Possibly my favourite one yet.
John Ostheim
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sally Rogers
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Read

Another good un by Stewart Giles. Plausible storyline, with lots to keep you turning the pages. Look forward to the next one.
Bookaholic
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
was an ok read not edge of the seat gripping but very easy to read
Pam Chantrell
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
My first not featuring Smith. Despite guessing the murderer fairly early on this had lots of plot twists to have me second guessing myself almost until the end.

• Evil Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen #6)
  • The Railway Man (DCI John Blizzard, #3)
  • Killer Lies (DI Mariner #3)
  • The Secrets Man (DCI John Blizzard, #4)
  • Murder in the Family (DI Hillary Greene, #5)
  • Innocent Lies (DI Mariner #2)
  • Strange Little Girl (DCI John Blizzard #2)
  • Murder in the Mansion (DI Hillary Greene, #8)
  • Married Lies (DI Mariner #5)
  • Dark Angel (DI Greco, #4)
  • Baby Lies (DI Mariner #4)
  • Deadly Lies (DI Mariner #1)
  • Dead in the Water
  • Murder at Home (DI Hillary Greene, #6)
  • A Breach of Trust (DCI John Blizzard, #5)
  • The Gathering Murders (Inspector Torquil McKinnon, #1)
  • Silent Crimes
  • Dead Wicked (Calladine & Bayliss #10)
After reading English at 3 Universities and graduating from none of them, I set off travelling around the world with my wife, Ann, finally settling in South Africa, where we still live. After Ann dropped a rather large speaker on my head I came up with the idea for a detective series. DS Jason Smith was born. Smith, the first in the series was finished a few months later. 3 years and 8 DS Smith bo ...more

DC Harriet Taylor (3 books)
  • The Beekeeper (DC Harriet Taylor #1)
  • The Backpacker (Detective Harriet Taylor #3)

News & Interviews