Start by marking “The Beekeeper's Promise” as Want to Read:
The Beekeeper's Promise

The Beekeeper's Promise

Heartbroken and hoping for a new start, Abi Howes takes a summer job in rural France at the Château Bellevue. The old château echoes with voices from the past, and soon Abi finds herself drawn to one remarkable woman’s story, a story that could change the course of her summer—and her life.

In 1938, Eliane Martin tends beehives in the garden of the beautiful Château Bellevue
Audio CD
Published May 16th 2018 by Brilliance Audio

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader by: Marialyce
4 character-driven stars to The Beekeeper’s Promise 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝

This book came highly recommended by my friend, Marialyce! Thanks for another wonderful read!

Told in two timelines, The Beekeeper’s Promise includes the story of Abi, who has a broken heart and is looking for a fresh start. She takes a job at the Chateau Bellevue. Abi hopes for healing more than anything.

Also included is the story of Eliane, who in 1938 takes care of the beehives at the same chateau. She falls in love with Mathieu, bu
Marialyce
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
You can find my reviews at https://yayareadslotsofbooks.wordpres...

“In the midst of winter, I found that there was within me an invincible summer.” (Albert Camus)

This was a gorgeous story of the ability to go forward against adversity when you feel that it has consumed you. It was a story of resiliency in the face of disaster. It was a story of learning about the past, which often can give one courage for the future.

Abi Howe is a broken woman. She is reeling from a marriage gone bad, feelings he
Dem
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful cover and interesting premise but just not enough impact in the plot or the characters to make this a memorable or interesting read for me.

I have read quite a few very amazing historical fiction books on WW II and unfortunately this one just doesn't compare to some of the historical fiction out there on this time in history.

The Novel is set in two time frames which for me didn't work well in this novel as I felt the the modern story took away from the historical one and just seemed c
Bookworm
4 delightful stars to The Beekeeper's Promise. What a charming story that effortlessly fuses WW2 , bees and domestic violence - such an unlikely combination of themes. Somehow the author manages to make it work and draws parallels between the three subjects by infusing themes of perseverance and resiliency.

The plot alternates between two time periods and two perspectives. Eliane is a young French woman living in rural France in the 1940's when the Germans occupy her town. Abi is an English woma
Kathryn in FL
This is an engaging tale of two unique stories one in the present and one encompassing the time preceding and including World War II during the occupation of a small French town, which intertwine to show the power of trust, unity of spirit, and love.

Eliane Martin is a beekeeper and the cook's assistant on wealthy Count Comte's estate, on which her family resides and her father is the primary farmer. The Count's home is requisitioned as the primary post for the Nazi's in the area. Eliane becomes
Gina
If I could have given this book 10 stars I would have in a heartbeat. It is that good.

This book, although a work of fiction, does contain some historical events that did happen during WWII.

Told from two viewpoints, that of Eliane during WWII, and Abi in 2017 as she recovers from a horrific car accident and an abusive husband. The chapters going back and forth between the book work amazingly well with this story. I've seen this technique used before without this much success, but author Fiona Val
Tonya
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, Abuse, Danger, Suspense, History, German occupation, fear, and healing.... Those are the words that I would use to just lightly describe The Beekeeper's Promise by author Fiona Valpy.

At first, I thought this book would be hard to follow because it switched frequently between the past and present with different characters and different stories. It was not hard to keep up and the book usually moved fast. There were some slow parts that were used to show that Abi, our modern character was ta
Constantine
Rating: 3.0/5.0

I liked this book but I think it is somehow overrated on Goodreads. The book follows the stories of Eliane from World War II and Abi in 2017. They have no connection except that they both show some kind of courage and resistance to the circumstances they live in. The plot was good but I felt it was very predictable and the characters were not fully fleshed out.

Eliane's story had more substance to it than Abi's. Abi's resistance is basically was against her husband Zac who physical
Pam
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Beekeeper’s Promise is a WW2 novel by Fiona Valpy. Although the story is fiction, some of the places are real and the stories of the Resistance are real as is the massacre in Tulle. The story could easily have taken place and maybe it did in some country and small town. Fiona Valpy tells the story of Elaine and her family during the War and the story of Abi in the present time trying to recover from a car accident and an abusive marriage. The story is told in alternating chapters by Elaine f ...more
Yasmine
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, you should know I love historical fictions, and I also like reading those taking place during WWII, therefore it is no surprise I liked reading this one very much.

Eliane's storyline during the war is captivating and sad and yet, so full of courage and determination, and also sparked by gentle scenes of nature and calm. I particularly loved those atmospheric descriptions of the countryside, the sun and nature bringing out the best of it, and following the cycle of nature (and the bees) thr
Renee
So many favorites here: evocative story telling, brave 1940’s heroine, excellent narration, themes of courage & integrity in the face of evil, nobleness & kindness in spite of hatred & cruelty, romance & family love in the midst of the challenges & chaos of life. So glad I found Fiona Valpy’s novel!

Favorite quote: “The darkness of this world can’t dim the light that shines from you.”

This is a dual timeline story. For me, the story of the heroine from the past resonated more
Christine Bibro
Interesting story about the French Resistance. Book would have been better if the story line stayed with those characters in that time frame. Abi's life, in 2017-18, didn't appeal to me. It was annoying to jump from Eliane's life to Abi's which didn't need to be a part of this writing.
Suze Lavender
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Abi hopes being in France will heal her. She's there for a short stay, but when she gets the offer to work at Château Bellevue, she immediately accepts. She loves the beautiful place filled with history and has enough free time on her hands to spend a few months there. Abi has been through a lot and it's time for her to get back on her feet. Will being at the château make a difference? While she's staying there, Abi learns about what happened at the castle during WWII. She's fascinated by the st ...more
Alice Bye
4/5 ⭐
I’m a sucker for anything WW1 or WW2, so this book was up my alley. I really enjoyed The alternating time lines between the two women and seeing opposition ends of history.
Jo
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by this author and I have to say it's one of the best books I have read this year so far. Set in France it follows 2 storylines, one from the modern day and one during the out break of WW2 - all based in the same location. I don't want to give the plot away as you should all read it for yourselves but the characters are so well drawn and the situations the main characters find themselves are brought to life so vividly. Although a very dark period in history this wasn't a gl ...more
Georgina Roberts
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book 😊 this is the second book I have read of Fiona’s, Sea of memories was the first one and I love this as much as that.
Fiona writes beautiful stories and I love historical fiction which means I loved this book.
Also her descriptions of war time France under nazi rule were really well written. I cried at times reading this book which is testament to how much it moved me. Fantastic - 5 stars 🌟
Jeanette
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Initially it was the cover the caught my eye, but what a great read this was. I am not usually fond of stories that switch from past to present, but this was one of those books whereby it worked well. I seldom write what a story is about, as i prefer one to read the book for themselves. I will say that this is a wonderful book to read and do highly recommend it. Wished i could give more than five stars.

My thanks to Netgalley and the Publishers for my copy. This is my honest review.
Kate Smith
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommend

I can’t recommend this book enough. I felt myself waking through the French countryside tasting the honey and enjoying the sunshine. I felt myself saddened by the awfulness of the German occupation in France during the war. I felt in awed by the French resistance and the French people. Overall pure brilliance.
Anne
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful historical fiction

This was a great story of a current day woman and a woman who lived through Germany's invasion of France and the resonance of both women. I had a rough time putting this book down. It makes me want to be a stronger person.
Liz
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an engaging, dual-timeline story set in France. The ‘past’ thread follows a family and their life during the German occupation of WW2. There is very little reference to the real horrors of that time though. The ‘present’ thread revolves around Abi, as she discovers the history of the french chateau where she is working. I found this really enjoyable, the main characters are very endearing, even if it only skims the surface of what life was really like at that time.

3-4 stars
ClaireJ
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Eliane’s story was heartbreaking to read but also courageous. I did at times though find my interest fading at times and the ending seemed quite cheesy. Since this book has such high ratings I think I expected a lot more from the story.
Sue Ross
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Where do I start?! The Beekeeper’s Promise is an absolute gem! From the Foreword with the beautiful prose about the Bee, I knew that I was going to be in for a treat. This is a book that gives and takes in equal measure. From heartbreak to hope and beyond, this story left me emotional and yet inspired. The beautiful writing took me back to 1938 and onwards, where a young couple in love are torn apart by War. Their lives and paths to the future are changed by the destruction of War and life will ...more
Jenea Whittington
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it

The Beekeeper’s Daughter takes us through two young women’s lives. Abi Howes is looking for the and space to get over a bad breakup, while Elaine Martin joins the Resisitance after her love is taking off to war.

The telling of this story is done in two separate timelines and it worked so well, laying out what was going one around these two very different, in very different times, the present and the past. World Was II was a frightening time for those fighting and those left behind.

These two young
Helen (TBC)
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Moving between the stories of Abi in Modern day France and Eliane during the Occupation of WW2 this is a beautifully written novel, superbly crafted to bring both women's stories of hardship, courage and resilience to life.

The descriptions are vivid, both of the beautiful surroundings and of the everyday life around the chateaux, the fear and tension of the occupation is palpable and the gentle care of the bee colonies is woven wonderfully into the story. Abi's modern day story is harrowing and
Thebooktrail
A lovely story which the author was compelled to write after readers asked her about the past history of the fictional castle! I love it when this happens and when the author explores something that has already captured the readers imagination.

The two timelines here are nicely done and once again the setting,the way Fiona writes and evokes the setting via all the senses is lovely to read. Eliane of the past story influences Abi and her story in the present. A lovely touch with the castle as a ma
Pam
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a beekeeper I was immediately drawn to the title of the book & I was not disappointed.
The book tells the stories of two women, Eliane & Abbi, born years apart, but living in the same chateau in France.
The two women are experience fear and struggles against different enemies, and the book tells of their courage, persistence and resilience.
I loved all the bee-related themes & language- the communities, like a bee colony all working together for a common good; Eliane's 'honey' colou
Pam Walter
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A wonderful reminiscence of WWII in the French countryside during the Nazi invasion. The protagonist Eliane Martin unwittingly becomes part of the resistance. Hers is a wonderful story in and of itself. In this readers opinion, Valpy would have written a much more enriching story had she just left out the modern day co-story involving Abi Howes and her abusive marriage. While I very much enjoyed the book, I found this distracting and never really connected with that part. The chapters move back ...more
Nicola
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Elaine’s and Abi’s stories should each be their own book. Jumping between the two leaves Elaine’s story feeling too short and underdeveloped. There are some amazing parts but it feels rushed and I didn’t feel invested in the characters.
With WWII in the back of your mind when you jump back to Abi’s modern story her problems seem completely trivial, shallow and dramatic for the sake of a backstory (despite being serious issues).
There are 2 amazing stories in there but their relevance to each oth
Gail Atkins
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by an author who knows how to bring her characters alive!!
The descriptions of France both now and during WW2 were amazing. There are so many strong believable characters throughout the book and each have their rightful position.
A story of survival, determination as well as the struggle to find and keep your own identity.
A book that is full of passion and has left me wanting to read more from this author.
Jessica
DNF 32% It just couldn't hold my attention. I've tried for months and months, but it feels like something hanging over my head. When I do think about picking it up to read (which is not often), then I feel a groan inside, which is a good indication that I shouldn't continue. At least for now.

• Welcome Home, Cowboy (Hero's Welcome, #2)
  • Girls of the Great War
  • Confessions of a Failed Environmentalist
  • 223 Orchard Street
  • Mother of Invention
  • The Irishman's Daughter
  • The Secrets She Keeps
  • The Freedom Line: The Brave Men and Women Who Rescued Allied Airmen from the Nazis During World War II
  • The Gamekeeper's Wife
  • Hearts of Stone
  • The Orphan Daughter
  • English Grammar Boot Camp
  • The Glovemaker
Fiona Valpy spent seven years living in France, having moved there from the UK in 2007. She and her family renovated an old, rambling farmhouse in the Bordeaux winelands, during which time she developed new-found skills in cement-mixing, interior decorating and wine-tasting.

All of these inspirations, along with a love for the place, the people and their history, have found their way into the book
“Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.” 1 likes
“Au milieu de l’hiver, j’apprenais enfin qu’il y avait en moi un été invincible. In the midst of winter, I found that there was within me an invincible summer. Retour à Tipasa, Albert Camus (1952)” 0 likes