Start by marking “Murder in the Manger (Sophie Sayers Village Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
Murder in the Manger (Sophie Sayers Village Mystery #3)

Murder in the Manger

(Sophie Sayers Village Mystery #3)

When a mysterious stranger interrupts Sophie Sayers' Nativity play to accuse the whole village of murdering a baby, Sophie Sayers' imagination runs wild, as usual, not helped by the surprise arrival of her ex-boyfriend just as her new romance with charming local bookseller Hector Munro was starting to hot up. What secrets is the stranger hiding, and whose baby is it anyway ...more
Paperback
Published November 6th 2017 by Hawkesbury Press

To ask other readers questions about Murder in the Manger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in the Manger

Start your review of Murder in the Manger (Sophie Sayers Village Mystery #3)
Monica Mac
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this gentle tale of life in Wendlebury Barrow for Sophie and her beau Hector. It is lovely getting to know the various villagers better and I felt like I was a newcomer in the village, finding out the ins and outs of village life at the same time as Sophie. It seems apt that I am reading this book just before Christmas.

I have read all three of the books that make up this series so far and am looking forward to reading the next one, when it comes out. These books certainly make
Lynn Watson
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this cozy-up-by-the-fire-with-old-fashioned-hot-chocolate-and-watch-the-story-unfold mystery. Debbie has brought together quite a bunch of fun characters and a couple quirky ones, too. As the characters and the plot develop you witness themes of transfomation and restoration unfold into an unexpected, but awesome ending.
Suzie Grogan
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third in this series of gentle village mysteries, although this one is witty, warm and gentle, but not terribly mysterious. That is its only minus really, as it is a cockle warming dose of delightful Christmas romance. Debbie Young is developing her Wendlebury characters nicely and I look forward to the next one.
Lucienne Boyce
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this. The prose flows, and the humour and keen yet gentle observation of people and their little sillinesses bubble under and to the surface. One thing I’m enjoying about the series as it goes on is the sense of following a year in the life of a village community. Murder in the Manger has all the ingredients of a classic Christmas story – lights, tree, mistletoe, a nativity play with its attendant disasters, and – of course! – the nasty person who sees the errors of the ...more
Anita
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book in this contemporary cosy mystery series is set at Sophie Sayers first Christmas at Wendlebury Barrow. She has thrown herself into village life and her relationship with the dishy Hector, her boss and owner of the local book ship is poodling along nicely.

Unfortunately nothing stays perfect for long and a figure from Sophie’s past turns up unexpectedly in his white van, her ex-boyfriend, charming egomaniac and freeloader Graham.

Sophie hopes it’s a flying visit but Graham quickly in
Kate
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Murder In The Manger is the third book in Debbie Young’s Sophie Sayers Village series but is the first I have read. Sophie has written the Christmas nativity play for her village, Wendlebury Barrow, but the surprise appearance of an ex-boyfriend and a mysterious woman with a baby threaten to ruin the production. Based on the back cover copy—which included the sentence “Before long, the whole village stands accused of murder”—I expected a lot more mystery and mayhem in this novel. What I found in ...more
Lynne Garner
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book follows the life of Sophie Sayer as she navigates writing a script for the village play, dealing with the arrival of an ex-boyfriend, nurturing a new romance and working out who shouts from the back pew of the church, “My baby! You’ve murder my baby!”

The story includes all the festive feel you'd expect from the title. The author includes humour and shows a keen understanding of human nature, all at a relaxed pace, making it an ideal festive read.

Elizabeth Gates
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Nativity play with added value!

Debbie Young neatly sidesteps any temptation to produce the Christmas cliche while still producing a story you can read by fire and candlelight, on the run-up to Christmas eve. No matter how many nativity plays you've attended in your time, this one will surprise and entertain you.
Dawn Brookes
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
I really enjoyed this light hearted Christmas mystery book. This is the third book in the series and personally I think the books make for a good light read. I love a 'good clean murder' - although its not all about murder! Sophie Sayers is a developing character and I am looking forward to the next book.
Mrs E Bowden
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

I really enjoyed this book and the story's are really well written,the characters are really easy to follow,,I would recommend these books to anyone who enjoys cozy mysteries.
Karen
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a very misleading title. Definitely no murder, and it's a real stretch to suggest there's a mystery anywhere in it. If you want a story so sweet it makes your teeth ache, this could be for you.
Denise Bonham
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loving this series of cosy crime books.
Great setting and great characters.
Well worth reading
Apr 03, 2020
gayil summers
Jun 23, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Murder Your Darlings (Sophie Sayers Village Mysteries Book 6)
  • Black Cherry Betrayal (Claire's Candles Cozy Mystery Book 2)
  • Cocktails and Cowardice (Peridale Cafe Cozy Mystery #20)
  • Vanilla Bean Vengeance (Claire's Candles Cozy Mystery #1)
  • Brownies and Bloodshed (Peridale Cafe Cozy Mystery, #19)
  • LIES THAT BIND a gripping Cotswolds murder mystery full of twists (Alex Duggins Book 4)
  • Murder in Langley Woods (Melissa Craig #8)
  • Murder at Larkfield Barn (Melissa Craig, #7)
  • MELODY OF MURDER a gripping Cotswolds murder mystery full of twists (Alex Duggins Book 3)
  • Murder on the Clifftops (Melissa Craig, #3)
  • Murder in the Morning (Melissa Craig #2)
  • Vegetables and Vengeance (Peridale Cafe Cozy Mystery Book 17)
  • Aunt Bessie Believes (Isle of Man #2)
  • OUT COMES THE EVIL a gripping Cotswolds murder mystery full of twists (Alex Duggins Book 2)
  • Murder at Benbury Brook (Melissa Craig #9)
  • Mystery at Apple Tree Cottage (Eve Mallow Mystery #2)
  • The Wickenham Murders (Marsh & Daughter Book 1)
  • Aunt Bessie Considers (Isle of Man #3)
I write warm, witty fiction set in the beautiful English Cotswolds, where I live and work.

The Sophie Sayers Village Mysteries is a seven-book series that runs the course of a village year, from one summer to the next. The first five in the series, "Best Murder in Show", "Trick or Murder?", "Murder in the Manger", "Murder by the Book", and "Springtime for Murder", are now available in paperback an

Sophie Sayers Village Mystery (5 books)
  • Best Murder in Show (Sophie Sayers Village Mystery #1)
  • Trick or Murder? (Sophie Sayers Village Mystery #2)
  • Murder by the Book (Sophie Sayers Village Mysteries #4)
  • Springtime for Murder (Sophie Sayers Village Mysteries #5)

News & Interviews