Start by marking “We Care For You” as Want to Read:
We Care For You

We Care For You

Winifred is assigned to Margaret’s care. She’s a Helper: a new kind of carer that’s capable, committed and completely tireless – because she’s a synthetic human being.

Under Winifred’s care Margaret’s
Published November 14th 2017 by Unbound Digital

To ask other readers questions about We Care For You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Care For You

Start your review of We Care For You
Amalia Gavea
‘’They feel guilt, and relief, increased anxiety, reduced anxiety, satisfaction, dissatisfaction, happiness and unhappiness. Sometimes all at once. How is this possible? It is complicated, being human.’’

Evergreen is destined to be the final place of residence for a number of elderly people before Fate strikes with her ultimate blow. It aims to provide shelter for the ones whose families are unable or unwilling to provide care. There is nothing to ease the pain, to give them some last peace of
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
I hoped to like this book more, and I still love the ideas and the bottom line. The way it explored what it is being human, as opposed to not being able to comprehend being human. And also, the dilemma of creating an artificial creature whose mind is based in logic, and so is completely backwards to our own - and to what drives us. It can only eventually lead to disaster.

However, apart from maybe several last pages, this book is not dystopian. It's also a little bit sluggish, and it's mostly
Emma
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
4.5 stars. I was hoping this would be sinister and it was! And it also raises many questions.
Firstly there is the commentary on how we care (or rather don’t care) for our elderly in the West. They are often forgotten, neglected and placed in nursing homes. My own mum is well into old age and it made me feel quite uncomfortable thinking about her future, and indeed my own.
Then there are the questions of what happens when the technology can do more and be more than humans? What does being alive
Raquel
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, sci-fi, adult
I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

«(About Art) We use it to understand the world. And ourselves. To communicate with each other. To give ourselves joy, to experience heightened emotions and to transcend our earthly state.»

England, 2022. Margaret Woodruff, an 87-year-old woman suffering from dementia and almost blind, is in a care home with practically no social interaction and mediocre care. Her son John feels guilty about his mother's situation, but he can’t do much more for her, except for going see her from time to time. He
Bonnye Reed
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
GNA John and his siblings had to place their mother Margaret into an inpatient care facility, Evergreen Care Home, Dorking, Surrey, two and a half years back in 2020 when she was no longer able to care for herself. John is the only child who lives locally, and he visits Margaret as often as he can make himself - but it is hard, and she is not really there. Margaret at 87 is blind, bound to a wheelchair, and suffering rather severe dementia. But then the nursing home is taken over by a firm ...more
Alexa
I received a copy through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I requested this book because I was intrigued by the cover (the little mechanical bird) and the blurb - androids taking care of elderly residents of a care home. What I expected was the main android, Winifred becoming friends with the woman she cares for - but somehow I expected a positive ending, some kind of unique interpretation of android-human friendship.

This book wasn't any of that.

I found it difficult to get into this
Alina
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
***Note: I received a copy curtesy of Netgalley and Unbound in exchange for an honest review.

The setting is pretty much made clear from the blurb: Margaret Woodruff is slowly dying in a care home. When her son is presented with the chance of exceptional care in her final months, he finds the offer hard to resist.

More than being
Grace
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: solid
You know when Winifred the Convincingly Synthetic Human is placed in a nursing home to care for the elderly and the synopsis says but what does SHE REALLY WANT FROM HER ELDERLY PATIENTS? this is gonna be a yikesey "robots take over and farm humanity" story.

At least, that's what I thought, before I read the first few chapters. They left me with the impression that hey, there's nothing wrong with Winifred! Actually, this is going to be a sort of navel-gazing, introspective story where nothing all
Anneke
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book Review: We Care For You by Paul Kitcatt 12/9/17
Published by Unbound Digital
November 7, 2017

This is a refreshing, creative and interesting take on the introduction of AI/Robots and nanobots and nanotechnology. I don’t want give anything away about the plot, which is unusual. The book is well-written, with fully fleshed out characters, a plot with excellent structure and pace, packed with a number of unusual
Nadine
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arc
RTC
Nia Ireland
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was perfection with a beautiful cover.

The author considers a world where the first convincing androids have been created and are now responsible for caring for the elderly in care homes –the idea of an intelligent and (synthetically) compassionate being that will look after our most vulnerable members of society without losing patience, getting bored or fed up with the rubbish working conditions lit up my imagination.

The book doesn’t explore this idea to any terrifying extremes, which
S.J. Higbee
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is ambitious book is not only a gripping story about what happens to an old lady in a care home, but it is also a discussion about what it means to be human. Kitcatt isn’t afraid to hold up the pace of his unsettling story to provide detailed conversations between Margaret and Winifred, which have stayed with me since I finished reading the book. I’m not sure if I agree with the conclusions he comes to, but they are certainly food for thought and I do thoroughly agree with the prevalent ...more
Erica
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction
I received a copy of this novel via NetGalley and Unbound in exchange for an honest review

87 year old Margaret Woodruff is in a care home, a shell of her former self, suffering from blindness and a form of dementia. She is left to slowly die with little social interaction and mediocre care. Her son John feels guilty about his mother’s care but doesn't believe he has many options until he is offered the chance to participate in Eldercare's newest program of exceptional care.
Margaret is assigned
Amanda Evans
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received an advanced copy of this book from NetGalley. The story revolves around Margaret, an 87-year-old lady, who resides in a nursing home. The nursing home gets new owners and things really start to change. John, Margaret's son agrees to her receiving care from her new helper Winifred who is, in fact, a robot. Margaret hasn't been able to see properly for the last 7 years and spends most of her time sitting curled up in a chair in her room. She also suffers from dementia.

The story centres
kellie
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a beautiful and unique read; I loved the book from the very start till the very end. The author and produced a plot that is a very clever mix of fantasy and reality.
Margret is in a care home; she has dementia and is slowly losing the person she once was. Her son, John, hates seeing her like this and feels she is not getting the care she needs in the nursing home she is in. Having no other choice, John has to leave Margret there. The care home is taken over and John is given an
Amie's Book Reviews
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
"All advances in technology are foreseen or understood by a small group of people. Those who imagine them, and those who make them happen. To the rest of us, these advances are like magic."

Paul Kitcatt is one of those people who foresees technology's future and the ramifications of artificial intelligence.

I love the fact that he chose an Old Age Home as the setting for this novel. He is 100% correct when he says that we do not treat our elderly population very well. He also mentions that the
Nicola McLean
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A really thought provoking read

I really enjoyed this book, set in the very near future where the part I found unbelievable wasn't that there were life-like robots to help the elderly or microscopic robots to repair our damaged organs but rather that these would be given to the NHS to help everyone - as if there's still going to be an NHS in 2022!!

Seriously, this is a really intriguing subject and the writer does a wonderful job of showing the human failings and greed and how we fail to recognise
Val
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book through Netgalley for an honest review.

Some spoilers follow, in the review, read at your own risk :)

I really enjoyed this book. I have a soft spot for robot and robotics in stories. I have a bit of an over-developed empathy for them, which is a tad dangerous, I think. This book felt a little like Flowers for Algernon for me, for a while Margaret was regaining herself, she was outgrowing herself, she was transcending... and it was very sad to see her go. That said,
Megan
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow this was like The Humans (Matt Haig) meets I-Robot (Isaac Asimov) with a little bit of Flowers for Algernon (Daniel Keyes) thrown in.

This is a very modern British take on a potential not-too-distant future involving synthetic humans and their role in society as carers for the elderly.

I am always a little worried going into an AI based sci-fi novel that the "science" will overtake the plot and drag the prose down. Even as a scientist myself, I struggle to enjoy it when it gets too heavy.
Val
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book through Netgalley for an honest review.

Some spoilers follow, in the review, read at your own risk :)

Julie
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Synthetic humans ('helpers') and nanobots restoring elderly residents to better health. It sounds wonderful, until you read further and find out more of the intentions of the helpers.

I was very drawn to Margaret, crotchety old lady that she was, expecially after her rejuvenation and restoration to full mental alertness. Her helper 'Winifred' seemed nice enough in her own way too. In fact the characters were all believable.

Winifred seems to want to learn from Margaret, to access the accrued
Chris Chalmers
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's December 12th and I've some seasonal detective stories pencilled in to read next -- but I can safely say this is the best book I've read this year.

I found it utterly convincing and gripping throughout. Thought-provoking and deeply chilling about AI, mortality, elder-care and the spectre of ageing, all of which I'm now thinking about more than I want to. This book feels visionary about a world we are one, possibly two steps away from, where synthetic humans march off the drawing board and
Koeur
Jan 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf

Publisher: Unbound

Publishing Date: November 2017

ISBN:9781911586296

Genre: SciFi

Rating: DNF

Publishers Description: Margaret Woodruff is slowly dying in a care home. When her son is presented with the chance of exceptional care in her final months, he finds the offer hard to resist.
Winifred is assigned to Margaret’s care.

Review: This was freakishly boring. Robots deciding that humans are undeserving of what they have is a very tired story line that should be
Daniel Casey
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
The premise is rather direct, what if a “semi-autonomous convincing synthetic human” was placed in charge of elder care and in so doing became intimately knowledgeable about human mortality and corporate morality eventually deciding alongside other AI synthetics to cull the human herd? We Care For You reads as a long and bad script rejected for the show Black Mirror and inspired by the series Humans. What we have in this slim novel is trite fan fiction.

This was a great disappointment to me
Louise
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Elyse
This is the first novel I've read about the dangers of artificial intelligence (except for 2001: A Space Odyssey and that was over 40 years ago). I remember Elon Musk saying a while back that AI is potentially more dangerous than nuclear warheads. The author of this book apparently agrees with him. Not having recently read any other books on this subject I have nothing to compare it to but I thought the author's speculations were brilliant. The danger can start in a most altruistic manner - for ...more
P. Upshaw
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very different

Very different and interesting concept on robots helping people. The setting in a care facility for old people is a potential issue today. It sure has a surprise ending, Wow!
Sean Randall
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This gripped me. The whole idea had a bit of a postmodern feel to it, and the insidious developments were well-paced. A fascinating take on the future of synthetic people and more importantly, of course, a look at the offerings that the aged can no longer supply.
Amanda's
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
You hear the word "mind-blowing" bandied around a lot, but these book does merit it. Also "jaw-dropping". It's science fiction, but believable; it's beautifully written, but has a page-turning plot; and the ending is very, very chilling. Superb. Five sinisterly sparkling stars.
Marilyn Ward
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this

Every humans dream, but then the scary realisation, that the dream has consequences
Read this and you will wish for a human death

• Infection (Sympatico Syndrome #1)
  • Taking Flight
  • The Traveler
  • The Rosetta Man
  • Icequake
  • The Foyles Bookshop Girls (The Foyles Girls #1)
  • The Slip Trilogy Complete Boxed Set
  • Isolation (Sympatico Syndrome #2)
  • March Into Madness (Mark Taylor, #4)
  • Mark Taylor Omnibus (The Mark Taylor Series)
  • The Understudy
  • No Good Deed (Mark Taylor, #1)
  • Endeavour (The Sleeping Gods, #1)
  • The Paths Between Worlds (This Alien Earth #1)
  • The Empire of Time (Chronoplane Wars, #1)
  • New Worlds (Rogue Star #2)
  • The Foyles Bookshop Girls at War (The Foyles Girls #2)
  • Tell Me No Lies
“They say when the angels play for God, they play Bach, but when they play for each other, they play Mozart.” 5 likes
“What gets imagined is what then gets done. Science fiction writers imagine the future long before it comes to pass.” 4 likes