Start by marking “Short Order (Foothills Pride, #8)” as Want to Read:
Short Order (Foothills Pride, #8)

Short Order

(Foothills Pride #8)

When recent horticulture graduate Dr. Fenton Miller arrives in Stone Acres, California, he thinks his only concern is which job offer to accept after spending the holidays working at his cousin’s plant nursery. But after he rents a room from another shorter-than-average man, sous-chef John Barton, Fen falls in lust.

While he’s attracted to Fen, John’s got bigger concerns wh
Published December 13th 2017 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Short Order, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Short Order

Monika

Two words that sum up my thoughts on this short story..... disappointed and confused. Disappointed because I was hoping this one would work and it didn't and confused because it's all over the place. This story is in desperate need of some restructuring to make it more cohesive.
Bárbara
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
*ARC provided by the author*

I just wasn't a fan.

It was way too messy and, while the general idea had potential, the actual excecution was very poor.
Dixiecowgirl
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fen and John are just delightful together! Fen has been searching for big, tall and handsome and almost missed his perfect man. John is not so tall, dark and not classically handsome, but he is the perfect man for Fen. i loved their differences and thought that they really balanced each other!

Fen is this neat character that has an accepting heart and lots of common sense. John has had a really abusive few years prior to his becoming a chef and he is emotionally scared. Fen and John together are
Violet  Marshall
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Yes
This is the eighth book in The Foothills Pride Series. An engrossing book the writing was great. Which can be read as a standalone book, that’s how I read it. The plot was entertaining and it was steady throughout the book. I found the story and characters wonderful. The characters were developed and thought out. Dr. Fenton Miller and John Barton are the MC’s of this book. I was hesitant at first to like Ricky because I was unsure about who he really was. But he was like an excited puppy, it was ...more
Dixiecowgirl
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it

NeRdyWYRM
Underdogs, Unite!

I love a good underdogs story. Love. Love. Love. And you have a lot of that here. Add in a personal growth twist and an epic romance and you have a whole lotta good feels.

I liked that the MCs were a little different. I liked that they were a little damaged, or well, at least one of them was. More so than the other. I liked the fact that John had to grow up a little and realize that there is a vast different between what you think you want and what you actually need.

Fenton's char
Christy
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars rounded up to 3 ~ The ‘Foothills Pride’ series is one I enjoy and can always easily recommend. Each of these novellas offers a little something for everyone, fun and interesting characters, storylines with a bit of angst that gets resolved realistically, and lovely happy ever afters. It’s rare an author pairs two vertically challenged characters together and for that alone I was looking forward to Fen and John. *grins*

Fen’s cousin and her wife own the local nursery and it’s a great pla
Tanja
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it
2,5 to 3 stars
I was looking forward to Fenton and John’s story as I thoroughly enjoyed the previous books in the Foothill Pride series, but to be honest, I was a little disappointed with this one.
Fenton and John are both short men, but they have very different ways of dealing with it. Fenton chose to spice up his appearance by taking tattoos and dying his hair. John is just the opposite, doesn’t want to get noticed and became a grumpy, aloof man. And when you learn about his past, you understand
Natosha Wilson
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another good book in the Foothills Pride series. Pat Henshaw is truly a great author.

Fen is new to town for the most part. He has visited some but this is the first time he has been back since he graduated college and he is excited to start working. While he decides on which jobnoffer to take he will be working at he nursery with Beth.

While he is staying in town he was originally going to stay with Beth and Kate but hat changes after only one night of staying with them. He decided he really need
Lucy
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Fen is in Stone Acres to help out his cousin while he is debating job offers. He doesn’t want to stay with said cousin, however, since “As a gay man, hearing two lesbians…made me shiver and flinch. If that weren’t enough, having to push aside drying bras in order to take a shower this morning made my hands itch.” Poor Fen. So off he goes in search of a place to stay and fate brings him to the Blue Cottage, the house he’s always loved. His landlord here is John Barton.

John and Fen are both short
Terry
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Short Order by Pat Henshaw is a short novella about a horticulture graduate Dr. Fenton Miller who moves back to Stone Acres, California after graduation. Working in his cousin’s plant nursery, Fenton rents a room from sous-chef, John Barton and instantly falls in lust for the shorter than average man. John keeps his distance from Fen, not letting him into his past. He becomes an enigma that holds many secrets. Then again, Fen does as well. It’s not until Leo and Ricky show up that the past surfa ...more
Megan
Dec 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, mm-bi, romantic
This story does a good job of bringing together two men who might ordinarily have nothing to do with one another but falls short with the voice of the story and the overall plot. There were some deep issues as well as disturbing things that took place and they came off as merely events in the story's overall flow rather than pivotal moments or catalysts for change. I felt disconnected from the characters and the story as if the narrator were an observer who knew Fen's mind rather than Fen himsel ...more
Tina
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short Order is the 8th book in the Foothills Pride series by author Pat Henshaw. This series just keeps getting better and better. It does not have to be read first to understand this story. But I would just because it is that good.
Fen is a doctor of horticulture. He is going to cure the world through plants. He is easy going happy kinda guy. Nothing much phases him.
John he is brisk, all business. He is sous chef and has a room for rent.
These two seem like the most unlikely of couples. But they
Mari Cardenas ~ Bayou Book Junkie
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, ftb, series
4 Stars!

This is book 8 in the Foothills Pride series and while it can be read as a standalone, there are great books in this series, so I encourage you to check them out.

Fen was the driving force of this book. He was charming, outgoing and easy to relate to. John was more of an acquired taste. He was prickly and it took me a while to warm up to him, but they seemed to fit together well.

The book was enjoyable, the characters likable and while I wasn't completely sold on John's backstory or how it
Faye Kennedy
An okay book!!?. Although I didnt feel the connection between Fen and John. The book i felt needed to be a bit longer with the beginning chapters especially John's character and his ex.  Questions kept popping up as i read.
 Fenton, graduate of horticulture was back in town after being away 5 years..
Finding a place was first on the list. As luck he sees a room for rent.
John worked at the Silver Star restaurant and rented out a room upstairs in his house.
Its not long before bad news lands on Jo
Valerie
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it
This is another book from Pat Henshaw that I wanted to like because of the premise. The characters, John and Fen, you want to root for them but they feel one-dimensional like there's no real, deep emotional connection you feel between them as a reader. Even dealing with John's past, I wasn't invested enough in the characters to have a truly emotional reaction to him or, to be honest, with the story as a whole. And I wanted to be. I love when characters have an intense bond, but this one was lack ...more
Terri
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked Fen and John's unorthodox romance. They were both accustomed to being bullied - or worse, in John's case - so both had tough exteriors and trust issues. While many scenes in this book were humorous, there was definitely a good amount of angst, confusion, and even violence. There was a hurt / comfort theme running throughout, and it was sweet how well John and Fen took care of each other. I absolutely loved Fen's mom, and Ricky was adorable. Though this book is part of a series, it ...more
Morgan  Skye
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
This fell totally flat for me. I just didn’t feel the connection between John and Fen. Though I know some of that is John’s stoicism, the lack of sex and the off hand way their connection was worked into the mystery just made it seem like the romance was more afterthought than anything else.

I appreciated the quirkiness of the characters and the personal growth of all 3 men but I didn’t think this warmed my heart in a romantic sense.

The writing was fine so I’m giving this 2.75 rounded to 3 of 5
Esther Alayeto
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great read that I really enjoyed. Fen and John are wonderful characters who are perfect together. I really liked watching their relationship develop and how understanding and caring they are with one another. Ricky is also an endearing character and a great addition to the story.
I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book.
tammy rufo
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
this just proves that looks aren't important, two shorter than average men can still find love and acceptance with each other. John and Fen make a sweet couple. I would def recommend this series/author. Hope there is more to this series!
Lada
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
The story was rather disjointed, and was that pimp plot necessary? Fen and John's romance was alright, though.
Daniel Mitton
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed for Love Bytes Reviews.

I knew when I picked up this book that I would enjoy it. After all, I really enjoy all this author’s stories. This one wasn’t an exception.

Fen Miller is in Stone Acres to work with his cousin and her girlfriend during the holiday season at their nursery. He can’t possibly live with two lesbians though because even when being quiet they make enough noise during sex to put him off. Then he finds an ad for an apartment in a beautiful old Victorian house th
C Brooks
Reader
rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2018
Pat
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Kathleen
Jan 14, 2018
Pat has lived on both coasts and in the middle of the United States. Pat’s been a book reviewer for too many years to count as well as an English composition instructor and theatrical costumer. Places visited include Canada, Mexico, Europe, Egypt, Nicaragua, and Thailand. Pat's found that people everywhere are remarkably similar.

See Pat Henshaw.

Foothills Pride (8 books)
  • What's in a Name? (Foothills Pride #1)
  • Redesigning Max (Foothills Pride, #2)
  • Behr Facts (Foothills Pride, #3)
  • When Adam Fell (Foothills Pride, #4)
  • Relative Best (Foothills Pride, #5)
  • Frank at Heart (Foothills Pride, #6)
  • Waking the Behr (Foothills Pride, #7)