Start by marking “Baby Teeth” as Want to Read:
Baby Teeth

Baby Teeth

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  52,199 ratings  ·  9,074 reviews

Sweetness can be deceptive.

Meet Hanna.

She’s the sweet-but-silent angel in the adoring eyes of her Daddy. He’s the only person who understands her, and all Hanna wants is to live happily ever after with him. But Mommy stands in her way, and she’ll try any trick she can think of to get rid of her. Ideally for good.

Meet Suzette.

She loves her daughter, really, but after ye

Published July 17th 2018 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Baby Teeth, please sign up.
Brandi Mattison Other than the goldfish, animals are not the victims. I agree! I have no desire to read about any kind of animal suffering, even if it's fictional. …moreOther than the goldfish, animals are not the victims. I agree! I have no desire to read about any kind of animal suffering, even if it's fictional. (less)
Keerie Prasopoulos Hannah’s point of view was important to the story to prove that this character had some deep psychological issues. Often books are written with a devi…moreHannah’s point of view was important to the story to prove that this character had some deep psychological issues. Often books are written with a devious child and it is the mother that is the one who is imaging the deception. One of the professional characters in this book explains Hannah’s nonverbal behaviors. She is manipulative and aware of all she does, not a sweet innocent child.(less)

·  52,199 ratings  ·  9,074 reviews

Start your review of Baby Teeth
j e w e l s
Apr 18, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-bejeweled
ONE STAR ⭐️ for me because I finished it!

This book is trying so hard to be controversial. Instead, it's an epic fail. I'm not in the HATE it or LOVE it camp. I'm in the incredibly bored and what is the point camp?.

In case you've been busy reading a good book (lucky you!) and missed some of the pre-hype, BABY TEETH is the story of a creepy seven-year old mute girl, Hanna, who hates her mommy and wants to kill her. She wants mommy out of the picture so that she can have daddy all to herself. Tha
Elyse  Walters
READ THIS REVIEW AT YOUR OWN RISK.... SPOILERS +SPOILERS +SPOILERS...
HOWEVER... I QUIT! I’m throwing in the towel. I’ve read enough...stopping at 41% on my Kindle copy.
I appreciate the widget-offering from the publisher — but for me— I CAN’T compare this book to “The Dinner” ....or “We Need To Talk About Kevin”....Both of those two other books had a different quality and purpose IMO....
THIS BOOK seems to me - to be an intentionally disturbing novel - for the pure pleasure of the thrill. It’s ug
Deanna
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, 2018
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

OH MY ….

I have no words.

HA! Yeah right!!

Hanna LOVES her Daddy. Her Mommy?

Not so much….

This first thing I’m going to say about “Baby Teeth” is that it won’t be for everybody. And that’s OKAY! I’m not going to judge anyone for liking it OR not liking it. It’s a fiction book!

It does clearly say in the description:

“From blazing new talent Zoje Stage, Baby Teeth is a story about a perfect-looking family, and a darling little g
megs_bookrack
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Baby Teeth was a blast for me to read. Perfect for fans of Horror movies such as The Omen, Orphan and Case 39.

When Suzette becomes a first-time mother, she is excited and anxious, as any new mother would be.

She didn't have the greatest relationship with her own Mum and feels this is her chance to do better by her daughter.

Suzette and her husband, Alex, work hard to provide, Hanna, a stable environment where she can grow and flourish in.

However, it becomes apparent fairly quickly that Hanna is
Crumb
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Sure-Fire Hit! Not to be Missed!

This is going to be one of the most controversial books of the year. It has generated a whole lot of buzz on social media and has garnered tons of reviews here on Goodreads. Whether you hate it or you love it, you won't be able to stop talking about it. So, you may as well read the book and see what the big deal is, right?
 * * * * * * * * * * * *

What would you do if your child hated you? Really and truly hated you? Hated you so much , in fact, that she wanted
karen
oooh, goodreads choice awards semifinalist for best horror 2018! what will happen?

this is the story of a seven-year-old girl named hanna who loves her daddy SO MUCH that she doesn’t want anyone else taking up any of his time or attention. so, obviously, her mom’s gotta go. like, go in a “not be breathing anymore” way.

in what is either a chilling declaration of intent or a genius marketing strategy, the author has dedicated this book to her father, which cracked me up.

because that’s the best way
Felice Laverne
Mommy was only a shell of a person with nothing to give. She was like a store full of bright and tempting candies held captive behind a thick, transparent wall. It wasn't like Hanna hadn't tried to tap on the glass and grasp what was inside.

So, it’s possible that I’m just too much of a Southerner for this book, but Baby Teeth absolutely did not work for me. (Well, that's not 100% true: I think the book's title and cover art are phenomenal.) It was just so melodramatic and implausible that I foun
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
One of my favoritest thing in the world to read about!

When my book bestie and fellow weirdo found the synopsis for this book, we knew we had found one that our little shriveled hearts would adore. So I'm deeply thankful for her begging on my part to get my grubby hands on a copy of this one.

Hannah loves her Daddy. He spoils her even if she doesn't say a word. She gets kicked out of all the preschools and the doctor's can't find anything wrong with her. She is still her Daddy's girl though an
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

For some reason I thought this book was going to be about an evil baby that ate people. I mean Baby Teeth right? . . .

This was NOT that fun book. What the hell was this book!?

There is a plus side! 😄

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾

MY BLOG
Barbie
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it

My thoughts in a nutshell
It was way better than I expected. I started with low expectation and I really enjoyed it!

The story is about…
Skip over this point if you don't like the sneak peek.
Daddy thinks Hanna is an adorable child. Mommy knows Hanna is a nightmare. Hanna wants daddy and she will be able to do everything for his father even if she has to be a bad girl. She will ruin her mother's life and she doesn't mind it at all. Hanna will enjoy it.

What impressed me the most 😊
I love the evil
Mischenko
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can also see this review @ https://readrantrockandroll.com/2018/...

May contain mild spoilers…

Suzette, mother to Hanna, deals with illness on a daily basis. She has an autoimmune disease that makes her sick and causes pain. On top of this, she’s trying to be a good wife to Alex, Hanna’s dad, and all she wants is to have a normal family–a normal daughter. The problem is that Hanna is a complete psycho, doesn’t talk, and behaves so badly, she’s continuously kicked out of school and Suzette has
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
What the actual fuck did I just read?!

And not in a good way...
So I like me some weird books. I admit it. But this just felt a bit pointless in the end.

The book started with some potential. It gave me some similar vibes to the movie Orphan.
Basically a little girl that seems to hate her mom and doesn't act like she's 4.

You start wondering if there's something supernatural or if mommy is actually the crazy one or maybe daddy's abusing her?!

It just felt like it was trying to be shocking but without
Debra
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Baby Teeth is a "psychological" thriller focusing on a dysfunctional family and their child with disturbing behavior. Alex, the father, does not want to see or believe that his daughter has behavioral/emotional problems. His daughter behaves around him, she is loving and, although she does not speak, she has her own way of communicating with him. Suzette, the Mother, is homeschooling her daughter while dealing with the symptoms of her Crohn's disease. Suzette is the target or her daughter, Hanna ...more
Berit Talks Books
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley, 2018
4 controversial stars🌟🌟🌟🌟

*** I am updating my rating to a solid 4 Stars for the following reasons....
• I read this book in February and it has stayed with me over the last six months and as much as I read that absolutely says something!
• I allowed other peoples opinions to sway my own when it came to this book, and that was not fair to the book or to the author!
*** I still stand by every word in my review, this was a very compelling and engaging read for ME!

I believe I’m going to bust out my com
Tammy
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is it possible for a child to be a psychopath? Is aberrant behavior the result of nature or nuture ? These are questions I’ll leave to minds far better than mine. This is a deeply unsettling novel about the proverbial bad seed. It is told from the alternating points of view of the mother and child. Hanna is seven years old and silent which make her thoughts and consuming love for her father all the more chilling. Manipulative and malicious, Hanna has one goal and it isn’t pretty. We are talking ...more
Larry
Jun 27, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story well written, back and forth between mother and daughter perspective. Enjoyed most of the book, but have to admit the ending left me a little empty.
Zoje Stage
Feb 03, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Hello Readers!

As more reader reviews are coming in it's becoming apparent that BABY TEETH elicits strong reactions from some people, and a lot of debate. I am all for strong reactions and unfettered debate, but I would like to clarify something that I feel was misrepresented by a DNF-review and the reactions that followed:

There is absolutely NO child sexual abuse in this book!

There may be any number of reasons as to why BABY TEETH is not the book for you, but there is absolutely no gratuitous c
Kaceey
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
2.5*
Tough call on this one. Enjoyed the author - well written. With that said, the over-the-top subject matter was so shocking to me it was difficult to keep my perspective. For that reason alone, it just wasn’t for me. Though I'm definitely in the minority here.

Mothers are daughters....

Hanna is 7 years old and Daddy’s little girl. Her world revolves around her love for dear daddy.
Now her mother...well, that’s another matter. If only mommy wasn’t around...if only she didn’t have to share daddy
Taryn
"There’s nothing scarier than loving a child and not understanding what they’re trying to tell you—”

There's not enough room in the house for both Hanna and her Mommy! Seven-year-old Hanna would be so much happier if Mommy would just disappear so that she and her Daddy could live happily ever after. Through Hanna and Suzette's (Mommy) eyes, we see their daily battles to maintain control in an unpredictable, ever-changing world and what it's like to maneuver through life when no one will hear
Theresa Alan
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel is described as a thriller. I think it would be better categorized as horror. It’s told from the point of view of an exasperated stay-at-home mom, Suzette, and her seven-year=old daughter, Hannah. Hannah refuses to speak. When Dad is home, she is smiley and delightful. When he’s at work, she does her best to make her mom’s life a living hell. When Suzette tries to enroll her first in preschool, then kindergarten, then first grade, Hannah snarls at teachers and starts fires and hurts o ...more
Arah-Lynda
Feb 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Boy you can bet I am glad to see the back of this baby. Teeth or no.

Not going to lie I did not care for this at all.

For those of you who do not know, Baby Teeth is the story of Hanna, a little girl who is determined to kill her mother.

Of course any story of this nature is going to be an uncomfortable read and I was very aware of that hurdle from the onset. That said, no doubt I would have found this more unsettling than I did, had I bought into any of it. I did not.

The story is told through t
Tina
4.5 *

What a book! This one has been on my TBR list for a very long time and I can't believe it's taken me this long to read it.

This story is dark and at times hard to read but I was fully engaged from beginning to end. The writing is easy and flows nicely together throughout all the chapters.

Hanna is seven years old and lives with her mom, Suzette and father, Alex. She has never spoken a word until one day she tells her mom she is a witch. The story takes a crazy turn. All throughout this book
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
FLOAT BECAUSE IT'S THIS BABY'S BERFDAY!!!!!

Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

This book doesn’t come out until Summer of 2018, which really sucks - - - FOR ALL OF YOU!!!! Did you fall for that?????

In all seriousness, when I made a placeholder This Is America, I Want It Now “review” it was more like me channeling my inner Oprah and putting this out into the universe à la The Secret in hopes of winning the Goodreads Giveaway. When I received an e-mail from St. Martin’
Matt
First and foremost, a large thank you to NetGalley, Zoje Stage, and St. Martin’s Press for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

In her debut novel, Zoje Stage has made quite a name for herself. Exploring some dark and disturbing areas of the parent-child relationship, the reader is forced to see a seemingly calm little girl turn against her own mother. Hanna Jensen appears to be quite the average four-year-old girl, with one glaring
MarilynW
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about a demented, cruel, entirely too precocious to be realistic, mute seven year old girl. It's about a mom who has no confidence in herself and a dad who is willingly oblivious to any fault in his child, placing his child before his wife, when there is any question about the child acting out. The ending could suggest a sequel, especially because it seems like the book ended when there was so much more to learn...when finally things were going somewhere.

Suzette grew up with a se
Norma
4 Disturbingly Good and Twisted Stars to BABY TEETH!

Why I wanted to read this one……This book was a Traveling Sisters Group Read that I missed out on reading and with the so many strong reactions and thoughts towards this book I just knew that I had to read it! I don’t think I have ever been so interested in finding out what my thoughts would be over a book like I was with this one.

So what did I think…….Well, I quite enjoyed it! Now there were a few scenes intended to shock the reader which I t
Shannon
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay okay okay... Let me ask you this. Do you have kids? Has your child ever freaked out in a restaurant or in a store? If you don’t have kids I bet you’ve thought “lady, get this kid out of here!” And I do! Because 👏🏼 mama 👏🏼 don’t 👏🏼 play 👏🏼! Now, a little tantrum every now and then is normal (believe me, my 5 year old still speaks whinese 🙄) BUT in Baby Teeth by Zoje Stage you get way more than a little tantrum!! Like, dayuum!!

Dennis asked me how I was feeling this story. My answer = “it’s nu
Caro (Bookaria)
This is one of the creepiest books I've ever read.

Hannah is seven years-old and the daughter of Alex and Suzette. She loves her dad but dislikes her mom.

Hannah would love to have her dad for herself and starts taking the steps to see this happen. That's the premise of the book and all I can say without getting into spoilers.

The book is told from the alternating points of view of Hannah and Suzette. Suzette suffers from Crohn's disease and I found the author described the illness and its symptom
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
4 stars!

Highly disturbing yet undeniably addictive.

Hanna is seven-years-old and has never spoken a word. Doctors cannot find a medical explanation for Hanna’s lack of verbal communication. Hanna’s mother, Suzette, spends her days looking after Hanna and home schooling her while her husband, Alex, works long hours. Suzette dotes on Hanna’s every need, yet has never truly felt the mother-daughter bond she expected. In fact, Suzette has always felt pushed away and despised by Hanna. Suzette’s conc
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
Baby Teeth – Review & Blog Tour

About: Baby Teeth is a thriller written by Zoje Stage. It will be published on 7/17/18 by St. Martin’s Press, an imprint of Macmillan Publishers, 320 pages. The genres are thriller, fiction, and mystery. This book is the author’s debut.

My Experience: I started reading Baby Teeth on 2/24/18 and finished it on 3/10/18. This book is an excellent read, though tough topic to handle. I’m reading this book as a mom and I cringe at what Hanna does. I sympathize with Suzet
Western NY Book Club: At the End 2 36 Feb 03, 2021 06:34AM

• Rock Paper Scissors
  • The Groomer
  • Brother
  • The Last House on Needless Street
  • The Arrangement (The Arrangement #1)
  • Come Closer
  • The Amendment (The Arrangement #2)
  • The Push
  • The Troop
  • A Flicker in the Dark
  • No Exit
  • Local Woman Missing
See top shelves…
Zoje Stage's debut novel, BABY TEETH (2018), received four star reviews, was a USA Today and international bestseller, and was nominated for a Bram Stoker Award. It is currently under option for a film adaptation by Village Roadshow/Valparaiso Pictures. Her second "mind-bending" (NY Times) novel, WONDERLAND (2020), was one of Book Riot's Best Horror Books of 2020 and one of Overdrive's Best Audio ...more

Articles featuring this book

Lucky us: We're in the midst of a bona fide horror renaissance. The genre has a way of graphically addressing our most deeply held anxieties,...
“It was hard to pour endless love into someone who wouldn't love you back. No one could do it forever” 25 likes
“Sometimes she struggled with resentment watching her family eat a meal that she prepared. People took eating and shitting for granted, like the continuous beating of their hearts, the inevitable protection of their skin. They didn't think about their intestines doing everything wrong, fucking up the basic process of digestion.” 5 likes