Start by marking “Ghost Squad” as Want to Read:
Ghost Squad

Ghost Squad

Coco meets Stranger Things with a hint of Ghostbusters in this action-packed supernatural fantasy.For Lucely Luna, ghosts are more than just the family business. Shortly before Halloween, Lucely and her best friend, Syd, cast a spell that accidentally awakens malicious spirits, wreaking havoc throughout St. Augustine. Together, they must join forces with Syd's witch grandm ...more
Published April 7th 2020 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Squad, please sign up.
Claribel Ortega Thank you! I am also excited :) My main character is Lucely Luna. She's 12 and lives with her father Simon who runs a small local (and failing) ghost …moreThank you! I am also excited :) My main character is Lucely Luna. She's 12 and lives with her father Simon who runs a small local (and failing) ghost tour in St. Augustine Florida. Lucely is smart, kind, brave, loves cats and old movies.

Her family doesn't have much, but she does posses the gift of seeing the ghosts of her ancestors. They live on as fireflies and protect Lucely and her father. Fireflies as protectors is Dominican folklore, and has a special place in my heart.

Fun fact! Lucely's name comes from the word luciérnaga which means firefly in Spanish. (less)

Start your review of Ghost Squad
Lala BooksandLala
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-releases
Obsessed
Claribel Ortega
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
If you're wondering what kind of energy GHOST SQUAD has, look no further than this gif from COCO.

Not only are there ghost chanclas (yes, ghost!) but there are:

* Fat cats named after The Goonies
* A witch grandma in a leather jacket
* Brown & Black girls on bikes having adventures.
* Dominican folklore
* Vintage video games
* Scary ghosts that can take the form of different creatures (like dragons)
* One very fat cat named Chunk
chunk

My cover is also live now, and all the thanks goes to the amazing a
Mari

I've had this book on my radar since I found Claribel on Twitter through mutuals. We invited her to speak at BookNet Fest 2018, and it was a pleasure to meet her and get all of her wonderful thoughts and experiences on our panels.

As an additional note, I read this at some time during isolation, but what is time... The read date is a place holder for "at some point between after it came out and June."

Why you may not like this book: You don't like middle grade. That might seem obvious, but I thi
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
This is SUPER cute but I'm weirdly not in the mood for MG right now? So I'm saving this for a time when I can appreciate it as much as it deserves <3 ...more
Cande
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lucely and her best friend, Syd, set in an adventure to save Lucely’s firefly spirits. Accidentally they may or may not wake up evil spirits instead. So now they have to combine forces with Syd’s powerful grandmother, Babette, and her fat cat, Chunk, to save their town and families.

This is such a funny and heartwarming story, a perfect mix of discussing painful feelings and having a great time with your friend. It deals with grief and loss, ghosts of course and powerful magic. And yes, this is
Mir
Jun 15, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: ghosts
I had never heard of this author. The book came to my attention because of racist assholes harassing the author on Twitter.
Thanks, racists!
Zoraida
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A charming adventure! Get it for your little ones!
Rameela (Star)
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Initial Thoughts: The aduio for this was so fun and I loved this fun and spooky story!

Full review also coming on my blog:

I was wanting to read this for forever and then finally got the impulse to just dive into the audio! It was absolutely PERFECT narration and I had so much fun in Lucely’s mind! There’s the perfect mix of spooky and fun that I definitely think everyone would enjoy!

I loved the incorporation of the culture with the ghost stories. I’m not an ownvoices reader so make sure to read r
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
I really liked this! What a cute, spooky, and fun read!

- Follows Lucely, a Dominican girl who, in trying to help her father, accidentally unleashes evil spirits. Together with her best friend, a chunky cat, and a witchy grandma, the group work together to right wrongs and save their town.
- I loved loved loved the friendship and family themes in this book! They were so sweet and meaningful, and I loved that this book is carried by such a genuine and powerful friendship.
- I loved that this was spo
Amber
July 2020: Sticking with my initial review, but adding in that I would also be okay with Babette's backstory.

April 2020: Honestly, what a treat? Friendships that are so close that's found family, check. Magical cats, check. Ghosts, check. I want to spend forever with these characters (but I'd also settle for more information on all the Goonies cats).
Julie
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was delightful!
Maëlys
Jul 10, 2020 rated it liked it
☆ 3.5 / 5 ☆

Lucely lives happily with her father and her family’s ghosts. However, money is tight and her father has one chance left to make it up with one of their ghost tours but things go wrong. And they keep going wrong as the family ghosts start to act strangely. Lucely and her best friend Syd then go on a quest together to find a spell that could fix their problem.

I loved the family ghosts a lot, from them individually to all the interactions and different dynamics portrayed. It was heartw
Richelle Robinson
“ I received a review copy from Amazon Vine and voluntarily provided an honest review. This does not affect the opinion of the book or the content of the review.’’

I really enjoyed this story written by Claribel Ortega even though I am not the intended target audience. The book was nicely written, family focused and introduce me into a new culture filled with a rich history. While reading, I felt like I was in the story fighting along with the squad. Some but not many of the phrases are written i
Kim
Apr 07, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m not sure if this was too middle grade for me or what, but I couldn’t really get into it. But then again, I was considering reading with my daughter and I don’t think she really would’ve liked it that much either. I felt like there was too much lead up and not enough action. If there had been more action packed encounters spaced throughout, and then a big ending, it may have been better. Overall not what I expected, but still a really interesting cultural take on ghosts and witches. I did lov ...more
Bee ♡
Apr 16, 2020 added it
Shelves: 2020-reads
─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
Synopsis:

Lucely Luna is a 12 year old that can see ghosts, and surrounded by the ghosts of her family she finds happiness and love. When an incident at her father’s Ghost Tour threatens to separate her from her loved ones, Lucely and her best friend Syd Faires try to solve the mystery together. With the help of Babette the Witch The Ghost Squad must find out what evil is trying to take over her town and the lost spirits that reside there.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
My Tho
caitlin ✶
Feb 05, 2019 marked it as to-read
I’m adding this book to my want to read shelf because I follow Claribel Ortega on Twitter. And let me tell you that she is the most intellectual and kind soul on there. Please follow her on Twitter!
Enne (they/he)
4 stars

Things I would not recommend doing: reading this book while it's dark outside.
Things I would recommend: trying the audiobook!!

After following Claribel on twitter for,,, a while, I was incredibly eager to pick up their latest!! And it definitely didn't disappoint!! I've been on a mission to read more MG this year and can I just say that picking this one up was definitely a great choice!!

I absolutely adored Lucely and her family of ghosts. I adore reading about big families and their rel
Kathryn Speckels (Metaphors and Miscellanea)
3.5/5, rounded up for the super-wholesome "chosen family" message and for Chunk, the amazing giant cat. It was a little cheesy for my liking, and there were some plot elements that felt rushed/incomplete, but overall was a really cute book (especially considering it is a ghost story!).
karli
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars!

Wow what an enchanting story!

ikram
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listening to Ghost Squad audiobook is quite an experience! It was a lovely and spooky read. I’m pretty sure that many children out there would love this book just fine!

THINGS I LOVE THE MOST:
Considering that I listened to the audiobook, it was such a pleasing narration!
Lucely’s and Syd’s friendship, I’m really fond of them. Friendship is the theme of the book and I honestly love every interaction in between Lucely and Syd.
The fireflies and Lucely’s love for them. Every spirit has their own
Alicia (A Kernel of Nonsense)
**I received a copy of this book from the publisher, which does not influence my review**

Claribel A. Ortega’s debut novel, Ghost Squad, is a delightful middle grade with lots of heart and a cast of character that is sure to charm readers of every age. Lucely Luna is just like any twelve-year girl, she likes hanging out with her best friend, Syd, and spending time with her family. Only most of her family are ghosts and she’s the only one who can see them. When Lucely discovers that her dad may no
Ms. Woc Reader
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
The movie adaptation of this book is gonna be an instant hit. This book is great presentation for young Latinx and African American girls. Finally they can pick up a fantasy story where they are present on the pages. And it's a fun story full of jokes, culture, and family.

Lucely has the gift of seeing spirits when others around her can only see fireflies. But those fireflies are the spirts of her abulita, her tias, her tios, and her primos who protect and watch over her. But lately strange thin
Iris
Apr 27, 2020 marked it as dnf
I want to clarify: I'm marking this as dnf for now because I don't want to clutter my currently reading any more than it already is, but I 100% plan to come back to it, and it was very much an "I struggle with audiobooks and wasn't far enough in to be properly invested yet so I procrastinated reading it and then my scribd free trial ended" dnf, not an "I don't like this book" dnf
Katerina Kondrenko
5 out of 10

A girlish version of Ghostbusters. Or Supernatural for a middle-grade audience, idk. Not bad, a lot of humor, but I'm too grown-up for this.
Mila
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
3,75 stars

What I liked:

- The friendship between Lucely and Syd was so precious, their banter honestly carried most of the novel;
- The portrayal of witches and witchcraft;
- The big emphasis on importance of family.

What I didn't really like:

- The plot moved too quickly and actually made some events more confusing than they actually were;
- Partially because of that the book felt too short as well.
Izzie
Apr 11, 2020 rated it liked it
(Thank you to my Mum for typing this for me).
This book follows the main character Lucely who sets out on a n adventure with her best friend Syd to save her magical fireflies which hold the souls of her ancestors. On the way they accidentally awaken evil spirits and have to try and save their town.
What I Liked:
- The Writing. This was a debut novel and the writing was excellent. It was atmospheric and it gave the books a lot of life, despite it being a middle grade book there were times I found it
Dany
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Read my full review here

Three Rules for ghost hunting
- Respect the dead
- Never go alone
- Always have a cat

Ghost squad was an awesome read with witches , ghosts in an atmospheric small town premise!

Lucile , our MC , has the powers to see her dead relatives. Her dad runs the local ghost experience tour. Their business is sinking and she might lose her connection to her family if they don't have their house. And by the way , they accidentally raised the dead.

Lucile was a likable MC . She loves her
whereIreadthewords
May 06, 2020 rated it liked it
DNF at page 28.

I found this book terribly boring.

Simon... maybe it’s personal but the Dad being referred to by his name in the text was so very jarring. It’s Lucely’s POV... she calls him Dad in her dialogue but...

Honestly though? I couldn’t get into the characters. I couldn’t feel any of their personalities. I couldn’t feel anything.

Even when Lucely ruins her dad’s (Simon’s?) ghost tour, it was treated so BLANDLY like there was zero urgency or emotion.

I held out to meet Syd because others said
Charvi
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was so beautifully written!

What started out as an adorable story with lively characters turned into a well-developed and enriching cast as well as plot. To start with, I love the unabashed usage of Spanish sprinkled in between and the fact that the story draws its roots from fables and myths.

I loved getting a glimpse into the culture and I feel that my favourite part of this books was the fireflies and Lucely's undying love for them. Tia mi labros and the abuela were my favourite ghost

• You Should See Me in a Crown
  • From the Desk of Zoe Washington
  • King and the Dragonflies
  • Things in Jars
  • The City We Became (Great Cities #1)
  • Efrén Divided
  • The Total Eclipse of Nestor Lopez
  • Ways to Make Sunshine
  • Scary Stories for Young Foxes
  • Stand Up, Yumi Chung!
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Clean Getaway
  • Into the Tall, Tall Grass
  • The Blackbird Girls
  • A Wish in the Dark
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • Paola Santiago and the River of Tears (Paola Santiago #1)
  • The Only Black Girls in Town
Claribel Ortega got her start editing student’s often times hilarious ads and ramblings on the back page of SUNY Purchase’s Independent Newspaper. From there, she became a small town reporter, where she enjoyed going to board of education meetings and texting the town mayors about the line at Starbucks. Today she’s busy turning her obsession with eighties pop culture, magic and video games into bo ...more