Jump to ratings and reviews

A Boy at the Edge of the World

"Best of 2018"! - Love In Panels

Meet Daniel Garneau, your average gay hockey player from small-town Ontario. After moving to Toronto to attend university, Daniel embarks on a series of misadventures both comic and tragic, as he navigates the pitfalls of dating and relationships while juggling the needs of his eccentric family and newfound friends.

A Boy at the Edge of the World is a coming-of-age novel that explores the variegations of sex, intimacy, and queer desire. It is both a rollicking dramedy and a philosophical reflection. In the end, Daniel’s story is the story of each of us: our universal search for love and family – at the edge of the world.

David Kingston Yeh has been listed among “writers to watch” by CBC Books. He lives with his husband in Toronto, Canada.

[more:] https://www.goodreads.com/author/1733...

349 pages, Paperback

First published March 28, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

David Kingston Yeh

3 books75 followers
David Kingston Yeh holds his MA in cultural sociology from Queen’s University, is an alumnus of George Brown Theatre School, and attended Post Graduate Studies in Expressive Arts in Saas Fee, Switzerland. He has worked twenty years as a therapist and educator in Toronto, Canada. David resides up the street from a circus academy, along with his husband and a family of racoons. His short fiction has appeared in numerous magazines. He has published two novels: A Boy at the Edge of the World (2018) and Tales From the Bottom of My Sole (2020). David has been listed among "writers to watch" by CBC Books. His third novel, The B-Side of Daniel Garneau, will be published in the fall 2023.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 star
4 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 65 reviews
October 6, 2020
Whimsical, lighthearted, and fun!!

A boy at the Edge of the World is an all around adventure, and easy to read... I imagine people reading it in the beaches or on Toronto Island smiling and giggling to themselves. It has character's that are engaging, witty, and curious...full of adventures. There was definite complexity and chemistry between the character's that I really appreciated making me fall in love with Daniel and Karen the most. The fast paced exciting thrill of Daniel's escapades in Toronto really made it special to read remembering my own crazy times in this amazing city. On another hand it is also about sexuality, intimacy, love, and experimenting in a time where there is freedom and excitement in the air. It had me turning pages quickly with excitement guessing at what would happen next. All in all this was a delightfully fun, thought-provoking, laugh out loud read that exceeded my expectations.
2 reviews1 follower
September 10, 2020
I read this book in four days and I think I’m going to read it again! I laughed out loud, I gasped, I cheered, and I shed a few tears. Many of the moments were reminiscent of my early adult years as I was trying to figure myself out, and I could see myself and other people I knew in many of the novel’s complex, curious and dynamic characters. The novel doesn’t take itself too seriously; it’s written in the first person and you’re in the shoes of this young gay guy who is discovering and testing the world. I was entertained, and it made me want to explore the city of Toronto and connect with my siblings and friends. I hope there’s a part two!
May 4, 2018
Fun, sexy, and sometimes heartwarming, A Boy At the Edge of the World is an episodic narrative that felt both familiar and imagined, provocative and sentimental. I can't remember the last time I read a novel from cover to cover so quickly. We get rare glimpses into Daniel's caring soul -- moments I longed for more of -- and the fast-paced, queer adventures are sustained with a distant but present feeling of support throughout. One line in the book particularly resonated with me: "I had an urge to go back and lie down next to him, to spoon him and tell him everything was going to be okay. Invisibly, far above, satellites passed overhead. Instead, I turned and walked away."
Profile Image for Cami.
23 reviews
January 14, 2018
I have to say that I really did enjoy reading this book. It was fun, not too hard to read, and now I also know more Canadian slangs. Daniel is living his life full of surprises and he never lacks of things to get done. I didn’t quite expect him to end up with the boyfriend he currently has, which I will not get into more because I don’t want this to be a review that contains spoilers.
I can say, I am waiting for a sequel because I need to find out what happens with these lovely characters next!
Profile Image for Steve.
142 reviews4 followers
March 17, 2018
A Boy at the Edge of the World
David Kingston Yeh
Book Review | 📚📚📚📚 4/5

A fun and fast-paced read about one guy’s life through most of his 20s. Oh, and he happens to be gay and he happens to live in Canada.

Why I was interested in reading this book:
I don’t read a lot of fiction that follows the coming of age of someone. But there was something in the blurb that sounded sincere and honest that compelled me to check it out.

My assessment:
At first, I thought, “Oh, no. A fluffy story about another Millennial guy trying to find a boyfriend.” But, I really liked the main character. Perhaps because he seemed to be honest and truly trying to discover life, I liked him and empathized with his journey. There were two other things that I really liked about this book:

1) The book is filled with Canada-centric references. Living in the USA, I take for granted that everyone knows the cultural and geographic references of most books I read. With this book, I learned a lot about Canadian pop culture: food, music, sports, geography. I actually found the author’s Facebook page and he has been posting actual photos of places described in the book along with referenced quotes. That was pretty cool.

2) What I also very much enjoyed was that the book was non-stop filled with diverse characters. However, Yeh wrote about them matter of factly – very few labels. He never came out and said, “the lesbian” or “the F2M” or “the Jew”. Instead, he simply he would include a reference point or action that might suggest how each character might be different – but not really using it as a descriptor. That was very well done and I thought it was a good model for other authors to take note. It really promoted inclusion in comparison to diversity.

There were several parts of the book where I believe the author created unintentional red herrings. He would be deliberate about some repeated details that it seemed like they were foreshadowing an issue to arise. Unfortunately, those were missed opportunities. There were a few moments that Yeh could have come back and made some of those prophecies or wishes be fulfilled to add more tension tension in the story that was lacking throughout.

Overall, it was well written and, again, a story in which the reader can empathize with many of the characters – primary and secondary.

Story of the human condition:
Each of Yeh’s characters had a strong personality that was well-flushed out. They were real people. Even if a personality seemed far fetched or extreme, it was relatable or identifiable. There was so much focus on the sweet or positive, I do think that the tensions would have developed the story into one that was more compelling and filled with tension than that of “a day in the life”.

TAGS:
#David Kingston Yeh #review-book #bookreview #TuggleGrassBlues #TuggleGrassReviews

DISCLAIMER: I received this book via Netgalley for the purposes of a review. I requested this book because it seemed to fall into my wheelhouse of what I am most interested in to read. This review can also be read on my GoodReads page.
Profile Image for Elliott.
249 reviews11 followers
March 25, 2018
A Boy at the Edge of the World is a novel by David Kingston Yeh, detailing the life of Daniel Garneau, the oldest of triplets. The story takes us from Daniel’s senior year, right up to his fifth year of university as he trains to be a medic, in a slice of life format.

I knew I was going to love this book from the first couple of paragraphs. Daniel comes out to his best friend Karen, a popular and sarcastic girl, who I instantly adored. I’d just finished reading The Art of Escaping, where everyone was very twee and nice, and it was a fantastic relief to start reading incredibly bitchy characters who I loved.

This book doesn’t hold back. There is a rape scene early on in the story that shows the danger in the gay community of drug taking, and there are explicit sex scenes between all sorts of people. There are threesomes, and public handjobs, and the three Amigas (don’t ask), and bathhouses. There are drugs, and suicide attempts, and grandma’s masturbating in the front room. It’s a delicious fucked up story, and I enjoyed every minute.

What was a breath of fresh air was that nothing ‘bad’ happened. Of course, there are low points, Daniel’s brother Liam is severely depressed, Marcus falls off the balcony, Daniel’s grandmother has Alzheimer’s. But there’s no death, no Aids, no fucked up trauma. As someone who reads A Little Life every summer like a rite of passage, I am used to reading gay stories where awful terrible things happen. This book is honestly a relief.

I also loved the short choppy way that Yeh writes. It’s much like my own writing, with random snippets of events and conversations, so I slipped easily into the book. I can see how other readers might not like this, but I really enjoyed it, as I didn’t have to read pages of exposition, I could just get right into the story.

I honestly have no complaints with the book. I loved every moment I was reading it, adoring Daniel, Pat, Liam, Blonde Dawn, Karen, David, and all the other host of characters. It was a completely mental book, with descriptions of cock rings at the dinner table, and performances in pig intestines. I don’t think that the blurb does it justice, but by god, was this an excellent story.

Thank you to Netgallery for giving me an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Hridi.
23 reviews6 followers
April 1, 2018
A Boy at the Edge of the World by David Kingston Yeh was an intense read for me. It was full of diverse characters that went through little or drastic changes throughout the time span of the novel. I don’t remember reading anything that was set in Canada. So, yeah, this was a nice change for me from the usual novels set in UK or USA.
The author beautifully details how the protagonist Daniel deals with various important moments in his life. From realizing his sexuality to dealing with the death of his parents- all these significant events in life shaped the way Dan starts to lead his life. It was incredible how the author shows Dan’s insecurities and strengths under the same light.
The novel explores difference lifestyles through the eyes of different characters. Specially, Daniel goes through challenges to choose and keep up with the life he is leading. His love life was wonderfully detailed in this novel which included falling in love, heartbreaks and falling back in love.
The bond among family and friends shown in this novel is really heartwarming. It also shows how new and strange friendships are made throughout our lives. We often lose touches with our loved ones as times change. Dan’s desperation to hold onto his family and friends was really heartbreaking to read. This was by far my most favorite thing in this novel as I, myself is going through the similar situation.
I would highly recommend this book to my fellow readers who are interested to read the less traveled stories of young people struggling to make it in the world.

Profile Image for Colleen.
Author 3 books40 followers
April 10, 2018
*I received a digital copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*

I really enjoyed this book. The blurb doesn’t 100% nail the premise of the book so it was nothing like I had expected. It’s about screwed up people doing screwed up things while trying to make sense of it all. It’s about relationships and boundaries. As for the main plot? There isn’t one. There are themes and things happen but there isn’t a story arch throughout. Which doesn’t always work. But did it ever work here.

The writing style was very cool. A lot of the time the author would describe events leading up a main event then skip over it. Which oddly works.

This book is character driven and really focuses on character development. The dialogue is very natural and jumbly and a lot of the times non-linear as it is in real life.

I don’t think that this book is for the everyone. But readers who are all about the characters and are okay this a different approach to a novel will love it.
2 reviews2 followers
May 3, 2018
Great Read! I polished it off in 3 days. I loved following Daniel (the main character) through the ups and downs of his relationships. Since it took place in Toronto I especially loved the reference to local establishments as I have been to many myself and could relate. This book provides the reader a rare glimpse into the life of a gay, university student juggling family, friends, x-boyfriends and lovers. It courageously addresses the various sexual relationships people find themselves in and doesn’t skirt the issues. I would definitely recommend it.
Profile Image for R.J. Gilmour.
Author 2 books10 followers
May 24, 2018
Just finished Yeh’s first book after it was recommended by a friend online. It is a coming of age story about a young man from Northern Ontario trying to find his way in Toronto. Filled with lots of local references to the city I know well it was a delight to read because it is written in a quick, light manner and is a must read for anyone interested in a portrayal of the city and queer culture in the twenty-first century. It is in a way a love letter to the city that would translate nicely to the big screen.
May 3, 2018
A boy at the edge of the world took me on an adventure through the life of Daniel Garneau, a young man coming out in the big city of Toronto. Love, sex, drugs, relationships & family, I felt that I got to know the character and relate on many issues facing young gay men. From feelings of isolation and alienation to belongingness and connection this book explored relationships in a way that was honest while keeping it edgy. Great read. I look forward to Daniel Garneau’s next chapter.
May 4, 2018
Such a fun coming of age story featuring characters you'll start to miss the moment you're done reading it. A must read for any lgbt+ young adult.
Profile Image for Procrastinating Slytherin.
142 reviews85 followers
February 23, 2018
Another story generously granted by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review, in spite it’s somewhat misleading synopsis, follows Daniel Garneau, as he tries to find his place in the world.

If I had to use one word to describe the book, I’d certainly pick chaotic. Though exploring different writing styles is certainly entertaining, A Boy at the Edge of the World was a bit too disorganized for me. Still bittersweet about the lack of closure it is my genuine suspicion that in this debut novel David Kingston Yeh attempted to capture Daniel’s existence as realistically as he could.

His life is messy, disorientated, confused and lacks a greater purpose -he is barely 22 by the time the plot “concludes” if I am not mistaken- but, generally -and that is an entirely subjective matter I personally prefer reading stories a bit more disciplined than that, stories with an explicit start, climax an end . Despite its emotional up and downs, I can’t pinpoint a specific moment in the plot –I feel a bit hesitant describing the events of this story as plot, due to the structure that implies- that changed everything. Though surely that is the way most of our lives are, I did not appreciate it in fiction. I think it was this chaos that kept me from relating with Daniel at all.

Following a first-person-narrative, I think I would have found Daniel’s voice interesting, if only not all the characters, when they spoke, hadn’t sounded like him. Though I suspect the author tried to portray phonemically the contents of the conversation, every character’s speech was colored the same. Often, words were not accompanied by paralinguistic elements, giving the arguably misguided impression that the tension went unjustifiably 0/100.

To be frank, I found equally unjustifiable Daniel’s fixation on Marcus (i.e. his ex-lover). We get too see very little of their relationship –especially the feelings they have for each other, a grand case of tell instead of show- and as such, seeing what a sweetheart (though sometimes creepy: Dude, you are 21 and have been dating this guy a few months, are you sure you want to move in? *sigh*) David was throughout the book, Daniel came as somewhat unreasonably ungrateful. You didn’t know what he wanted to exchange David’s support for and thus you could not really understand (at least I couldn’t) why all the drama and the fuss.

That said, from a psychological point of view, I think this book debates some very interesting matters. I enjoyed the way Daniel explored the LGBT+ community in Toronto, how supportive his friends and family were (), but how self-conscious he felt about his sexual role in his relationships.

The LGBT books I had the privilege to come across so far mostly focus on how their protagonist initially comes in terms with their sexuality and then comes out. A Boy At The Edge of the world, however, featured an openly gay protagonist who struggled to define himself as a gay man in his relationships –regardless of whether they were romantic or not. He pondered questions such as what does it mean to be in love, are there more than one ways to express and “arrange” your relationship with your romantic partner, how you handle your exes and where do all these things leave you. Though I did not like the way these themes were organized, I do believe that fiction, especially YA fiction has to discuss these matters as openly, open-mindedly and realistically as David Kingston Yeh did.

Now lastly, I am not really squeamish about language –words are words and god knows I swear- but I must admit within his self-exploration, every time Daniel used the f-word to describe another gay man it felt like a slap. Now, I am not a member of the LGBT community –I am simply human and I therefore think we all without exceptions have a right to love (so long that it’s consensual, of course)- and therefore it’s not really my place to decide what gay people should find offensive or not.

I was, however, offended and I think it is my place to whine over the way a specific side character describes women with high sex drive as whores. I believe she describes herself as a whorish, crippled cow when explaining to her friends how much more sex she desired after her pregnancy. People are stupid, humor is humor and sexism not only goes both ways but it sadly has a way to slide in the heart of those most offended by it. I just think it was very sad that in a book with so many seemingly progressive characters nobody called her (or Daniel, for that matter), for some of the things they said.

Though there were many times I debated dropping this book, I’m mildly glad I read it. Though it’s not for me, I think people how aren’t strict about a book’s discipline, will find it a rather interesting.
Profile Image for anna (½ of readsrainbow).
561 reviews1,736 followers
December 31, 2021
rep: gay mc, mlm side characters

ARC provided by the publisher.

Well, this is a weird book to give a rating to. It’s not bad? But I wouldn’t exactly say it’s good. If I were to describe it in one word, I would probably choose “interesting”. Or maybe, more accurately, striving to be interesting.

A Boy at the Edge of the World tells the story of Daniel and his romantic & sexual adventures since he was seventeen and kicked off a hockey team for getting into a fight with a bunch of homophobes. He was also in a relationship of sorts with his married coach... So that’s where we first meet him & that also kind of sets the tone for the whole novel.

By which I mean, it feels like the author goes out of his way to shock the audience. Maybe it wasn’t the goal, maybe he really was just trying to describe the Canadian LGBT youth. But it’s one thing to have stories of sex and love from a bunch of young people and another thing to have a bunch of stories from one single guy. The comparison to Sex and the City? It’s so spot-on.

In more than the first half of the book, we’re just introduced to one boyfriend after another with a myriad of one-night stands scattered in between. Like, sure, that happens and it’s perfectly ordinary. But when a novel is written in this very simple style that feels almost like a newspaper article; when the dialogues are unreal & artificial and making it almost impossible to take the characters serious half the time; when the characters themselves are either not fleshed-out at all or just made into caricatures of some trait or another – when you put all that together with descriptions of various sexscapades, it really starts to seem like it’s just done for the shock value.

It’s honestly impossible to have any kind of emotional connection with anything that happens here or with any of the characters. I’m pretty sure the only one I actually liked was David and that’s just because he was, well, nice. None of the characters, including the main one, feel real. They do things, of course, they do so many things, and Daniel describes everyone to us, down to every little quirk, but that’s it. What they do doesn’t exactly always match up with their descriptions and anyway, how do I feel anything for a description? Because none of them ever become more than that! There’s just no time for that in the novel! There are so very many relationships to recount, there’s no space left for making the characters into actual people.

In way of tw for future readers: there’s the relationship with an older, married man (somewhat romanticized), a rape scene at the very beginning (he consented to the act but then blackouted for some time?), straight girls fetishizing gay guys (never really called out but the narrator/mc is grossed out by it).

It’s a weird book because on one hand it’s interesting, it grips your attention – it starts on a wild (illegal, let’s be honest) note and goes wilder & wilder from there so that you keep reading to find out just how wild will it get – but on the other hand, it’s not well written nor really interesting. I appreciate the author’s effort to paint a realistic portrait of the LGBT community in Toronto but, again, packed into one small book it starts to just be lowkey grotesque. Which is such a shame because it could have been a great book, if only given some more words and revision.
Profile Image for Jeff.
Author 2 books9 followers
June 16, 2018
I really liked this book. It could be looked at as a 'slice of life' but through all the chaos and turbulence, Daniel's coming out and coming of age-- explores the many layers of self acceptance and reconciliation with the past that haunt many people throughout life.

In spite of family and friends that totally support Daniel, he struggles with an overwhelming disconnect that affects all his relationships. I love how author David Yeh tells this story and takes us along Daniel's journey of love and loss, searching to find himself. Yeh cleverly reveals Daniel's growth (or maturing) without hitting us in the face with it. It happens gradually as the story unfolds. The difference in how Daniel sees and experiences things at the beginning compared to where he is at the end of the book, shows the tremendous changes that happen as people move through the unforeseen circumstances of life.

The people in Daniel's life are an eclectic bunch of characters, richly drawn by Yeh-- adding so much depth and diversity to the story. I thoroughly enjoyed them and the challenges and impact they placed on Daniel's journey.

I found A Boy at the Edge of the World to be a fascinating and engaging experience; full of life's truths and the appreciation for the fact that every person's journey is very different and an exciting story to tell.

I received an ARC copy of this wonderful book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Alaa Readsss.
111 reviews21 followers
February 12, 2018
This is such a fun read.

I enjoyed reading this book. Each time I was waiting for the bus or before going to bed, I would take my phone, open my e-reader and start reading 'A Boy At The Edge of The World'.

What I enjoyed the most about this novel, is the characters. I rarely find myself reading about likeable, diverse and 3-dimensional character. The amount of representation brought me happiness, and I am grateful they weren't used as tokens. The story also introduced me into various topics I didn't know much about previously.

What is unfortunate is, the book doesn't really have a plot. It is basically a series of events happening over the course of a couple of years, and in these years we get to see all of the characters grow and change (and finally re-unite). I believe, this book could've have been stronger if it had a theme or a "plot".

I recommend this book to you if you have been waiting for a story with an extremely diverse cast, rich with culture and set in Toronto (I have never read anything set in Canada before, lol). It is a light read, you will certainly fly through it if you happen to be a fast reader *cough* unlike me *cough*

Disclaimer: I've received a NetGalley copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
May 29, 2018
This is a uniquely personal story that celebrates love, friendship, family and the darkness and light found within them all. It's knowingly and beautifully set against the backdrop of Toronto. The treatment of the city as an additional character made me miss being there. Daniel's journey is portrayed with honesty and respect and you'll find yourself invested in his experiences. There's an unmistakable commonality in how Daniel interacts with those he likes and loves to which everyone will relate. There is nothing superfluous about this book. It's exactly right. It made me feel as if I had could call Daniel to chat. He's that real to me. I miss him already.
Profile Image for Laxmama .
575 reviews
February 23, 2018
ARC REVIEW FOR NETGALLEY This was a slice of life story about a young man, his ups and downs with relationships, dating and family. It was enjoyable-ish, but I felt like I was waiting for the story to go somewhere - more, if I am clarifying myself. Although I do think that was the point of this book and it just may not be my thing. It was interesting and engaging at times but I had a feeling of wandering, the ending also left room for a follow-up or open ending.
Profile Image for Karen.
June 6, 2018
A Boy at the Edge of the World is a book about Daniel Garneau, a young gay man and his experiences and what I like to call “sexapades”, after he moves from Northern Ontario to Toronto. From the beginning to the end I was invested in David Kingston Yeh’s story.

A Boy at the Edge of the World is reminiscent of my early twenties. I took a trip back in time. There are many references to music and some of Toronto’s very cool landmarks like Kensington Market and El Convento Rico. Some of which are closed down and other places I still frequent today. I literally felt like I was with Daniel on his adventures throughout the city. I like how the setting is in the early 2000’s yet there are some references to Facebook. It’s a great blend of yesteryear and today.

The author writes about Daniel’s relationships with friends, family, lovers & boyfriends. He takes the time to dive into the characters he writes about in this book. Each individual he describes has there own unique characteristics like his one time neighbour Michael who always give a thumbs-up and doesn’t speak in the book. There’s Parker Kapoor with a very colourful personality and is depicted at one point as Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Let’s not forget Daniel’s brothers Liam and Pat. Although they are triplets Daniel is the “older brother” who helped keep house and raise his brothers with his pépère after their parents died. It’s nice to read about Daniel’s best friend Karen. They have a close friendship and I identify with them when I think of my best friend Daniel. ;) Then there’s David, Daniel’s boyfriend. David is great for Daniel. He is madly in Love with Daniel and Daniel seems to grapple with who is is and what he wants in his future.

The book is relatable and deals with things that most young adults go through like relationships, love and lust, to name a few. And there’s sex! Lots of it. I imagine the scenes described would excite most. I found them quite titillating.

A Boy at the Edge of the World definitely takes you for a ride. I laughed out loud, I cried, both happy and sad tears. I felt I knew these characters and wanted to know more about them. I still do! What happens with Daniel and his boyfriend David? Where does Daniel’s ex boyfriend Marcus fit in? Will Karen and Liam stay together? So many questions.

I sincerely hope there is more to come!
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for charlotte,.
3,001 reviews797 followers
October 22, 2021
Galley provided by publisher

Rep: gay mc

You know those books where you're fairly rapidly sure that it's not for you? This is one of those. I have to say I got that sense really early on, within the first 30 pages, after there was a rape scene that didn't seem to have any sort of purpose. The book is also written in a series of vignettes, so it reads in a pretty broken up manner. I didn't get far enough for that to have consequences but it does feel like that kind of style would impact on how well a relationship can develop. There were another couple of things that made me a little uncomfortable reading: firstly, there was a (somewhat romanticised) relationship between the main character at 17/18 and a married man, which was held up as the ideal, and secondly, the characters keep using homophobic slurs casually - not just the gay main character, but all of them, including his straight brothers and best friend. Overall, it just wasn't my kind of book, I think. (Also, him being a hockey player is a lie, he gets dropped from the team in the first few pages, I feel so betrayed.)
610 reviews8 followers
August 3, 2018
Twenty-something Daniel Garneau narrates his life story in this memoir . He is a young gay man, who was raised by his grandparents (along with two fraternal twin brothers) in Sudbury in northern Ontario. He moves to Toronto to attend university with his best friend, Karen. His ultimate goal is to become a medical doctor. It's mostly a gay coming-of-age story. The story is a busy one, told in a chatty way through a series of vignettes involving Daniel's brothers and other family members, as well as Karen and Daniel's boyfriends.
There are numerous interesting characters and events. Two of his adventures struck me as particularly amusing:
his first gay sexual experience took place in a Zamboni (an ice-clearing machine), and
a poignant room mix-up at a gay bath house.
Daniel is a complex character, not the twinky caricature that could have been portrayed. A sequel following Daniel as he moves from his 20's would be welcome.

Profile Image for Kevin.
281 reviews1 follower
June 21, 2018
Super easy to read and entertaining. You can tell that David Kingston Yehhas written plays, as the dialogue is super. It lacks a central storyline aside from being somewhat of a bildungsroman built episodically. I can see why people wouldn’t like it for this. However, semi-autobiographical or not, this is how you do this kind of book: down-to-earth and real. A very Toronto-centric novel with tons of allusions for those who live in the city to love. A Boy at the Edge of the World is great debut and shows promise for the author... would love to see what kind of Young Adult fiction he could write.
Profile Image for Lolo Onda.
372 reviews3 followers
December 30, 2020
I won a free copy of this book from the Goodreads Giveaway and definitely had mixed emotions about the book.

The characters were interesting and the writing in general was strong. I felt like there was a big emphasis on explaining and developing situational events throughout the story that didn't add much to the plot or theme of the book. I wanted more meaning from some of interactions between characters and more depth from some of the scenes. Overall, I enjoyed the book and I think members of the LGBTQ community would connect to this story!
Profile Image for Coty.
72 reviews
June 24, 2018
For a while I didn’t know what I was reading, but as I kept on, things kept falling into place and I really began to relate to Daniel. Funny and sobering, this is New Adult Gay Literature at its finest.
10 reviews
August 28, 2021
A terrific read where all the characters a real and relatable. The story has a nice flow, a thoroughly enjoyable book. Having already read, Tales From the Bottom of My Sole, (also excellent) I hope DKY has a third Daniel Garneau book in the works.
Profile Image for Neil.
278 reviews3 followers
October 19, 2021
This book cruised through my brain like hot chocolate. Warm and sweet. The writing is the type that flows and makes you want to flip pages. Imagine if Douglas Coupland wrote Generation X or Shampoo Planet again but with todays characters. That’s the best compliment I can pay it.
Profile Image for Bradley Scott.
42 reviews
July 26, 2018
Super relatable coming of age tale. A fast and entertaining read. Highly recommend. Look forward to future works from this author.
Profile Image for Margo.
14 reviews3 followers
September 30, 2020
This book was filled with lots of joy and adventure. It was a delight to read. Big win for queer lit.
1 review1 follower
October 31, 2020
Loved the crazy whirlwind story. Can't wait to read David Kingston Yeh's new book, Tales from the Bottom of my Soul!
3 reviews
October 27, 2021
A Bou at the Edge of the World by David Kingston Yeh. The cover pretty much had me wanting the book. The book itself immediately hooks you from beginning to end. I’d recommend this book to anyone
Displaying 1 - 30 of 65 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.