Start by marking “The Crescent Stone (The Sunlit Lands #1)” as Want to Read:
The Crescent Stone (The Sunlit Lands #1)

The Crescent Stone

(The Sunlit Lands #1)

A girl with a deadly lung disease . . .
A boy with a tragic past . . .
A land where the sun never sets but darkness still creeps in . . .

Madeline Oliver has never wanted for anything, but now she would give anything just to breathe. Jason Wu skates through life on jokes, but when a tragedy leaves him guilt-stricken, he promises to tell only the truth,
Published August 7th 2018 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Crescent Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crescent Stone

Start your review of The Crescent Stone (The Sunlit Lands #1)
Allison Tebo
Oct 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
DM if you'd like to hear my thoughts.
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
My personal Rating- Two Stars (and a half)

Well. That was interesting.
~ * ~ * ~ * ~
It’s no secret at all that I’m not a fantasy person. My head will honestly start to hurt as soon as I start a book in the large majority of that genre.
“So, why, Lindsey would you try to read this fantasy book?” is what I’m sure you are wondering, because I had my concerns:
a. fantasy.
b. fantasy. (It should count for two reasons.)
c. a male author writing in a teen girl’s POV. (Th
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Update - Re-read

This is definitely a solid 5 Stars since it was even better the second time around. These are characters you can bond with and want to walk a mile in their shoes.

I do have to say that Jason is my favorite character since he MADE this book the 5 star read that it is. His humor and honesty win hands down, especially with his side kick Dee.

I'm getting ready to start the second book in this series but as soon as I saw the price...it broke my heart that I will have to wait until m
Jill Williamson
The twists keep coming in The Crescent Stone, a fabulous young adult fantasy with a great cast of characters. I particularly loved Jason, whose humor, logic, and honesty will make readers eager to follow him into a sequel. I found the Sunlit Lands a fantastically engaging place to visit and grew ever more delighted as I discovered more about each culture, their knotted histories, and how the magic worked. Fantasy fans will devour it and ask for seconds.
C.J. Darlington
The Crescent Stone has one of the prettiest covers I've seen in a long time, and it's even better in the physical book (versus the ebook.) Cover aside, Mikalatos has drawn me into his stories before. I read his "The Sword of Six Worlds" and "Capeville: Death of the Black Vulture", enjoying each one with its unique milieu. "The Crescent Stone" continues in the Mikalatos tradition of imaginative, fantastical tales with humorous zest and an underlying depth that threads underneath the surface of th ...more
Linz
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owns
I ALMOST didn't pick this book up at Bookcon, because I was exhausted and hauling two days worth of ARCs, but got talked into waiting in line, and I'm so so happy I grabbed a copy.

I'd compare this to a lighter version of The Magicians - all the fun of a magic world with the real world awareness of real people. It was fun, it was sweet, it was compelling. I'll definitely read book 2!
Mike B
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Matt Mikalatos has a way of making me laugh out loud and cry quietly all within a few pages of one another! The story of an ailing teenage girl and her friends magically propelled into a fantastic adventure in another world is compelling as a story and convicting as an illustration as the themes of power and privilege and unintended consequences. I loved the development of the characters and once I got to the second half of the book I found it hard to put down.

As I found true in his
Dawn
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fantasy is always a hard genre to write in. I love reading it. Especially when the author does a great job in creating a world with a history. And Matt Mikalatos did just that. The Sunlit Lands are rich in history to the point there are legends and reasons behind why the people believe the way that they do.

I'll admit. The book dragged on at times. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but there were times it was slow.

I am looking forward to reading the next one in the series because I do want to k
Angela
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. For me this is way better then Narnia, (blasphemous I know) it had a great cast of characters and a well crafted and thought out fantasy world. Personally speaking I preferred Jason over Madeline, both were well done, but Jason was much more likable and Madeline just didn't ask many of the important questions or question anything about the world. The magic is a lot different from anything I've read before and the magic toilets sounded fascinating. Will definitely be reading the ...more
Cassie James
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book

Another amazing YA Fantasy gem! The Crescent Stone is an adventure to not be missed. I happily recommend it to everyone.
TheConsultingWriter
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a young adult fantasy. And while I'm not often a fan of fantasy in general, I did enjoy this read. What got me curious? The cover. For me, this felt like a good book to take on vacation or when relaxing at the beach. The story felt slow at first, but it really picks up, especially toward the end. There's a lot of world-building, which was probably why it felt slow to me. But that building was necessary to the story. The story revolves around Madeline Oliver. I don't remember if the book ...more
Joan
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Mikalatos gives readers a thought provoking fantasy adventure in the style of C. S. Lewis. There are allusions to Christian truths in the story and the plot contains many ethical decisions. There are unusual creatures inhabiting many kingdoms. There are intense battles and life and death situations. There are complex loyalties and underlying motives that made me wonder who the good guys really were. Perhaps like reality, the good and evil motives in beings were often hidden.

The chara
Ann-Marie
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jason C.
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Crescent Stone is an imaginative portal fantasy with a powerful message of power having a price.

Madeline and Jason are two teens from our world who are drawn into a new magical world. Since Madeline has a fatal lung disease that is slowly killing her, she takes an offer to serve in the Sunlit Lands for one year in exchange for her complete healing. Jason agrees to go to help Madeline, in exchange for pudding.

As the two learn to work with the Elenil, the people who brought them over to help
Audra Watts
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Cleanliness: Very Clean (No cursing. Topics to consider: terminal illness, blood, war, and death.)

With mystery, magic, humor, and even history, The Crescent Stone is a very fun book to read! In a land where everyone keeps their word (except when they don't...), the Law of Conservation of Matter and Energy is taken to the extreme. You have to remember, there are always two sides to a story.

The story began with very tough, real-life and develop
Kara
Nov 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, library, cybils-2018
There is decent storytelling in The Crescent Stone. Unfortunately, it's overshadowed by uneven writing filled with preachy messages. Jason used to lie a lot but now he tells the truth. And he likes to was poetic, dropping major infodumps here and there. The one that stuck out to me most was his infodump on immigration and Angel Island. I'm not trying to diminish what happened to the immigrants there, but when you're in the middle of a fantasy plot and you start giving me a history lesson on some ...more
Chaya Edelman
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Matt Mikalatos has created such a fascinating land that I was completely drawn into. The landscapes, the architecture, the magic, and most especially, the people and their cultures. The Elenil, The Scim, The Kakri... Along with being an adventurous epic fantasy, this book confronted many social issues. Mikalatos had an amazing way of weaving past and current American injustices into the story. Jason and Madeline were great main characters and they both grow and develop in unique ways. Jason had ...more
Erika
This is a very woke fantasy novel that humanizes and showcases some of the atrocities perpetuated by humankind. It speaks to privilege and lack there of. It has so many culturally aware moments that it's pure magic. I recommend this book to EVERYONE!!
Robbie Cansler
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book tremendously. It was one of those stories I couldn't put down, and I've already recommended it to others.
Luke Kibby
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent adventure, with great pace, that effortlessly entwines a strong fantasy narrative (with nods to Narnia), depth and humor in the characters, and prejudices and injustices in our world and a way we can address them. This book is strongly recommended from young teens to adults that can stir passions and deeper conversations.
Kathy Baker
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found that Jason, the supporting character, lived for me more than Maddie. I am very attached to him. It is definitely an interesting world. I like where he is going with it and will read the next book.
Yvonne Glasgow
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was absolutely enthralled by this book. The author is an amazing storyteller - you feel as though you are whisked away into the story itself. You feel like you're there fighting the Scim. You feel like you're having difficulty breathing right along with Madeline. You can see the mirrors. You can hear the buzz of the birds flitting by your head.

Be careful - it's hard to put down.
Jill
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-books
My comfort zone typically resides FAR outside of the fantasy realm, however the gripping cover design and terminally ill character within The Crescent Stone caused me to pick this one up, and I am so glad that I did.  As the first book of The Sunlit Lands series we are introduced to a teenager, Madeline, as she battles the final months of lung disease.  Madeline, and her comically relieving side kick Jason, exchange a year of service in the Sunlit Lands for her health and the promise of a puddin ...more
Amanda  H
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book that I have read by Mikalatos, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! The characters are well written and come to live with their wit and struggles. I felt the pain that drove both characters to embark on their adventures. I felt like the underlying messages were encouraging and thought provoking, leaving the reader to think on the story after the final page is read. I look forward to reading the next book in the series! I only wish it were already out, so I could continue the story ...more
Madeline J. Rose
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy, christian
Initial Response
I'm...really confused. But it was quite the entertaining read!

Hight Lights
- Even though Madeline is the main character, I think the character that really stood out the most to me was Jason. He was just so. funny. He had some of the best lines, and his loyalty to Madeline was so endearing. (view spoiler) ...more
Kay
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun, new fantasy world with an engaging cast of characters, some knotty moral dilemmas, and some to-be-explored origin story. A fun and funny read. Timely in speaking to the power of teens to create big change.
Becky B
Madeline is dying. The doctors have said there are no more options for her lung disease and have told her to do whatever she really wants to do before it is too late. She wants to be normal so she tries to go to school. But she's not lying to herself so much that she's going to string on her boyfriend Darius. She broke up with him to try and make things easier for him. But he keeps showing up. It's super endearing but not making things any easier. When Madeline collapses at school, her Chemistry ...more
Teenreadsdotcom
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Buy this book at IndieBound
Buy this book at Amazon
Buy this book at Barnes and Noble
Get ready to be transported to an epic new world.

Madeline was a normal girl --- until a deadly lung disease made even breathing a challenge. As her time on Earth dwindles, she receives a visit in the hospital from a stranger. He offers an exchange: one year of service to his people in a land she’s never heard of and when she leaves, she will be healed.

Jason Wu, or Wu Song
Sara Wise
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
** “You can’t save people forever, but if you can do it today, you should. People are … People are the most important thing in the world. Anything else can be replaced, but people … Each one is unique, and when a person dies, they never come again. They’re gone forever. … So we have to protect them while we can. And if it’s someone you love … you should protect them no matter what.” **

Matt Mikalatos’ “The Crescent Stone” is a delightfully inspiring and at times heartbreaking venture
Meagan Myhren-bennett
The Crescent Stone
The Sunlit Lands #1
By Matt Mikalatos

Madeline Oliver is dying - each breath is a struggle, each minute takes that much closer to the end. At seventeen she is not ready to die but there is nothing more that can be done. A year ago she had everything until her lungs stopped working. Still, she struggles to have as normal a life as she can, going to school when she is able - though making it to graduation is unlikely.

On that fateful day when she
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Secret to Die For
  • Soul's Gate (Well Spring #1)
  • Fawkes
  • Hidden Among the Stars
  • Mark of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #1)
  • Her Colorado Cowboy (Rocky Mountain Heroes #3)
  • The Story Peddler (The Weaver Trilogy, #1)
  • King's War (The Kinsman Chronicles, #3)
  • Angel Eyes (Angel Eyes, #1)
  • Thief of Corinth
  • Every Wicked Man (The Bowers Files: The New York Years #3)
  • Murder at the Flamingo (A Van Buren and DeLuca Mystery #1)
  • To Best the Boys
  • When Through Deep Waters
  • The New Recruit (The Mission League, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • The String (Deadly Games, #1)
  • A Song Unheard (Shadows Over England, #2)

The Sunlit Lands (2 books)
  • The Heartwood Crown (The Sunlit Lands #2)
“When the stars and the moon met, a song began among the moonside Kakri. “Where is the fountain which brought joy to the city, clean and clear at its heart?” There were no instruments, just voices. The starside Kakri answered, also in song, “It has been carried away, the water spilled to the sand, the water given to the sun.” The song, beautiful and strange, reached out to Jason like the tendrils of a plant opening in the morning dew. He felt himself alive, transported, and filled with a deep, melancholy sadness.” 6 likes
“One of the Peasant King’s followers, a knight in his service, said to him, “My lord, where are you going?” The Peasant King replied, “Why, to meet Death. Would you go with me, Sir Knight?” FROM “THE TRIUMPH OF THE PEASANT KING,” A SCIM LEGEND” 1 likes