Start by marking “She Persisted Around the World: 13 Women Who Changed History” as Want to Read:
She Persisted Around the World: 13 Women Who Changed History

She Persisted Around the World: 13 Women Who Changed History

The companion to She Persisted.

Published March 6th 2018 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about She Persisted Around the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She Persisted Around the World

Start your review of She Persisted Around the World: 13 Women Who Changed History
Calista
I love this book. I might love it more than the 1st one about American women. It's so important to have a message for girls in the world that says, don't listen to societies 'no'. Listen to who you were meant to be and stand up. Some of these women faced death threats to learn. It's time to get rid of all the glass ceilings. It's time for a female president. It's time women can be anything they are meant to be. The world needs women right now.

I didn't know all these women and I'm glad I know of
Mariah Roze
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute children's story!

"Women around the world have long dreamed big, even when they've been told their dreams didn't matter. They've spoken out, risen up and fought for what's right, even when they've been told to be quiet. Whether in science, the arts, sports or activism, women and girls throughout history have been determined to break barriers and change the status quo. They haven't let anyone get in their way and have helped us better understand our world and what's possible. In this b
Hilary
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Hilary by: Found in the library
A picture book, with a double page on each of these 13 women who persisted with their goals in the face of various difficulties. There is a short piece of text about each person, it was interesting enough but I really wanted to know more about each one. I think if a child's old enough to be interested in this subject then reading this might not give them any more information than what they already knew about these people. The illustrations are okay, personally I find the style a bit bland. I've ...more
Michelle
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
I've read "She Persisted" in about the same hour as I've read this book, and my thoughts on both books are pretty much the same. You can read my review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Julie
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
A truly motivational book filled with inspiring life stories of women who persisted in working to make their dreams become reality. My favorite quote: "Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood" ~ Marie Curie.
Vivek Tejuja
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We need more books such as these. We need books to empower our children – more so girls – they need to know that nothing is impossible and not achievable. There is no such thing as a “man’s world”. And even if there is, it shouldn’t exist because time’s up.

I wasn’t aware that Chelsea Clinton had written books. I got to know of this book by chance and though it is for children, I think it is meant for all. Men and women alike and for people in general, more so for men if you ask me. Chelsea speak
Indira
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Got this in the mail from Uncle Rudy the other day and before we read it, Luxmi said to me: Ruby told me I could read only 1 book but I persisted and read 2!
Erikka
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think my review for the other one said it all, so I'm just going to paste that here:

Do you know a little girl? Are you a little girl? Does someone you know know a little girl? If so, tell them about this book. Read this book. Embrace. This. Book. Clinton does a simply beautiful job introducing 13 diverse women who stood up to discouragement based on their gender and succeeded in long-lasting ways. The artwork by Alexandra Boiger is lovely and shows these women not only as themselves, but as th
Kate
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is written by Chelsea Clinton and features the stories of 13 girls and women, who, through varying circumstances persisted against obstacles to excel in their fields and accomplish their dreams.
Stephanie Anze
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"So speak up, rise up, dream big. These women did that and more. They persisted and so should you."

Women have struggled to overcome biased and unjust restrictions globally. 'She Persisted Around the World' captures the journey of thirteen such women that despite being told no went on to achieve significant change for themselves. In doing so, they paved the way for the women that came after them. Told in a concise but empowering tone, this book is for children but should be read by everyone.

The c
La Coccinelle
I read She Persisted last year and was impressed. She Persisted Around the World is just as lovely a celebration of women's achievements, but it takes a broader focus, including women from outside the United States. Some names are familiar, while others will likely be new to young readers. But each mini bio shows that women can accomplish great things and effect change when they're allowed to share their gifts with the world.

The illustrations are just as nice here as they are in She Persiste
Sharadha Jayaraman
A lovely little book for children that depicts how women have undergone trials and tribulations through the years to become noticeable figures in the U.S. I liked the tone of the author, which neither sounded condescending nor academic. I'd have liked to read about women outside of the States too, but that maybe for another book.

The pictures are colourful and complement the essence of the overall text adequately. They are also accompanied by inspirational quotes.
Jennifer Mangler
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like that the book includes both women you've most likely never heard of with some of the more famous names. I like that the women are accomplished in a variety of areas. The brief entries for each of the women made me want to learn more about them. And I love that the focus of this book, and of She Persisted, is on persistence. Each of the women featured faced a variety of obstacles and did not give up on her dreams. That's a very important lesson.
˗ˏˋliaˎˊ˗
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i love how these stories are adapted so that children can read and understand them. especially love that women all over the world are celebrated, since i think that’s far more important than it has been portrayed in her other stories. i’d also love if this were translated into other languages to share the various women’s stories
Tonya Ellis
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful work that highlights ground breaking women who persisted in following their dreams despite the obstacles and have made our world a better place. We need more books like this to inspire girls and women everywhere to reach for the stars.
Julie Peffley
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great little book. The message is clear and often repeated: "She persisted...". This book showcases famous women from around the globe. It's a great introduction for young readers to both the women and the idea of persisting through hardship to make your dreams come true.
Daniella
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is so cute and inspiring!!!!
Elizabeth☮
We loved this as much as the first. Wow.
Nicole
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely book to inspire children and adults alike! The mini biographies are succinct and written for a broad audience. The illustration is beautiful.
KC
I enjoy this series. Great to see/read about Wangari Maathai and JK Rowling. Can’t wait to see Greta Thunberg pop up soon!
Pink STREAM
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book encourages girls to not be scared even if their situation is not the way they want. For example, many of the women in this book faced difficulties to have a good education. Also, the book doesn't include only one area like just scientists or just artists. It includes all. There are poets, astronomers, activists, scientists, doctors, ambassadors, environmentalists, writers, sports players, and artists. So every young woman who read this book will find a role model for herself. By the w ...more
Patricia McLaughlin
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Such an inspiring story about women and girls who have persisted against all odds to make their contribution in the world and break down barriers for others to follow in their footsteps! Lovely illustrations add to the elegant ambiance of the book. Annoying grammatical errors (which should have been caught by editors) subtract a fifth star.
Diane
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Great choice of women around the world who persisted and changed things.
Hapzydeco
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
In her second book Chelsea Clinton introduces the reader to 13 women of the world who persisted against all odds.
Tiffiny
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I really like the illustrations!
Tabea Vanessa
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this!
Jacob
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspirational. Thankful to share these stories with my daughter and encourage everyone to share them with their child.
Ryan
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like this book. I know some don't, but I don’t understand why. It is a primer on women around the world who have done amazing things, and helped make our world a better place. Some are artists, athletes, teachers, doctors etc. All had to overcome someone saying no. They persisted. And while some names like Malala, Rowling, and Curie, there are women who have not appeared in other books for children. Women, who even this adult reader has not heard of, but just like the kids, I want to know more ...more
Kristen
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
She Persisted Around the World covers the achievements of 13 women who have changed history. All 13 women are well know figures through history, some I had heard of and some were brand new. This book covers all women in all walks of life. I would suggest this book to every child older than 8. There is some mention of war and violence that younger children may have difficulty understanding but that is for you as a parent, caregiver to decide. As an adult this book will become a part of my collect ...more
Bethany
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A picture book by Chelsea Clinton with a two-page spread for each of thirteen International women who have been and done remarkable things despite (usually) men telling them no. There is a good mix of diversity: ages, racial/ethnic, and geographic, but nothing stood out as LGBTQIA+ to me. Additionally, I think the content may be too challenging for the young readers who will be read the book.

It is just like Clinton’s original Persisted book, but with a focus on non-American women.

• Turning Pages: My Life Story
  • The Day You Begin
  • Shaking Things Up: 14 Young Women Who Changed the World
  • I Dissent: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Makes Her Mark
  • Let the Children March
  • I Am Enough
  • Dear Girl,: A Celebration of Wonderful, Smart, Beautiful You!
  • Love
  • The Good Egg Presents: The Great Eggscape!
  • Say Something
  • Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History
  • Dreamers
  • Nina: Jazz Legend and Civil-Rights Activist Nina Simone
  • What If...
Chelsea Clinton has always been interested in making the world a better place. When she was a child in Little Rock, Arkansas, one of her favorite books was 50 Simple Things Kids Can Do to Save the Earth, and as a teenager in Washington, D.C., she led her school’s service club. While at Stanford, Chelsea worked as a reading and writing tutor and volunteered at the Children’s Hospital. Today, she is ...more