Jump to ratings and reviews
Restaurateur Robbie Jordan is ready for the boost in business a local music festival brings to South Lick, Indiana, but the beloved event strikes a sour note when one of the musicians is murdered . . .

304 pages, Kindle Edition

First published July 31, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Maddie Day

19 books1,072 followers
Maddie Day is a pseudonym for Agatha Award-winning mystery author Edith Maxwell.

As Maddie Day, Edith writes the Country Store Mysteries, from Kensington, set in southern Indiana. Maddie lived in the area some years ago and loves writing the adventures of Robbie Jordan, a country store owner and chef in South Lick, Indiana.

She also writes the Cozy Capers Book Group Mysteries, with bike shop owner Mackenzie Almeida and her cozy mystery book group solving murders in a fictional Cape Cod village.

Her new Cece Barton Mysteries series, set northern California wine country, releases in fall, 2023

Please see Edith Maxwell's author page for more information about her other mystery series and her award-winning short stories.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 189 reviews
Profile Image for James.
Author 17 books3,483 followers
February 18, 2022
Death Over Easy is the 5th book in the Country Store Mysteries written by Maddie Day. I've read another series by the author and all the previous books in this one. There are at least another five books in this one that I plan to catch up on the spring. In this caper, a music festival arrives in South Lick, Indiana at the same time as Robbie's newly discovered father (and his wife). Thankfully, Robbie's finished renovations on the B&B portion of her investment property, and many of the guests have taken up temporary residence.

As expected, a murder occurs. This time it's Pia, an Italian woman who knew Robbie's father and stepmother in Italy, but also someone who's been dating several men in Indiana and borrowing money from townspeople to cover her expenses. Which one of them killed the woman? While the mystery started out strong, it fizzled in the end, which is rare for this series and author.

If you don't want to risk a potential spoiler, skip reading the next few sentences and jump ahead to the next paragraph. In the beginning, someone mentions Pia has a twin in Italy. Another person mentions Pia is so kind and generous, while many note she's a horror show of rudeness. From what we saw, she was in the middle... but none of this have anything to do with her death. Nor does the twin ever come up again. Also, a second death occurs (to a major character we've come to know), and the connection and killer are revealed in the very last few pages without any sense of true explanation. I think the plot changed midstream and red herrings were left without any follow up.

All that said, everything else about the book was great. I adore these characters, and I would actually like living in this town. The accents and ways of speaking are fun. The friendly neighbors are great. And I would get to experience an entirely different lifestyle. On to the next one!
Profile Image for Sabine.
593 reviews76 followers
July 31, 2018
Another wonderful addition to one of my favourite cozy mystery series. Maddie Day has a way of grabbing my attention and keeping me fully immersed in the mystery from the first to the very last page.

I love coming back to Robbie's country store and cafe and visiting with the people from South Lick. When a murder occurs at the annual Bluegrass Festival no one is excluded from being investigated as a possible suspect - no matter how well liked.

I am always excited when a new installment is released.

I requested this book from NetGalley and am thankful that Kensington and the author provided me with an advance copy.
Profile Image for LORI CASWELL.
2,352 reviews269 followers
August 11, 2018
Dollycas's Thoughts

It's time for the Brown County Bluegrass Festival and Robbie bed and breakfast has its first guests, including her father Roberto and his wife Maria. She is excited about all the business that the festival is bringing to her country store and café, Pans ‘N Pancakes too. But when one of the musicians is murdered things turn grim.  The murder weapon is a common thing for this crowd, a banjo string. Who choked the life out of the performer and is anyone else in danger? Robbie is going to do all she can to find out.

I have been almost as excited as Robbie to have her father come for a visit. His and his wife's tiny connection to the victim has them playing more of a role in the mystery than just a subplot to the main story. I enjoyed the way they traveled the area a bit on their own but still were able to spend quality time with Robbie. Robbie was busy with the cafe and her snooping too, but all the plots and subplots worked very well together. The pace is brisk and the pages seemed to fly.

Again, the character development was excellent. Readers get to see the main characters move forward and get a clear picture of the new characters as well. This is something Maddie Day does so well. It is so easy to get involved in everything the characters are experiencing.

I really enjoyed the music festival theme. It was a great way to introduce Robbie's new B&B. She did learn she still has a few bugs to work out before her next guests arrive, but it is a fun way to bring new characters to the series. It also gave a great backdrop for the surprising dangerous reveal of the killer. I was happy to see Robbie used some common sense instead of rushing in on her own, but there were still those nail-biting moments and the visions of the horror movie type eyes through the fingers thinking, "don't go in there".

I have enjoyed this series from the start. The author always gives readers a wonderful who-dun-it and I can't wait to see what she has up her sleeve next.

Profile Image for Mark Baker.
2,016 reviews141 followers
July 26, 2018
Robbie Jordan, Pans ‘n Pancakes’ proprietor, has just opened the few rooms she’s been working on as a bed and breakfast, and it’s just in time for a visit from her father from Italy as well as the Bluegrass festival being held in the area. The biggest problem at the festival seems to be Pia Bianchi, a woman that annoys just about everyone who gets to know her. Then Pia’s body is found early one morning in a covered bridge in the area. With Robbie’s guests some of the police’s suspects, she finds herself in the thick of things again. Will she figure out what is going on?

This was a fun book in the series since it worked in several sub-plots that have been woven through the series – Robbie’s father and opening the bed and breakfast part of the business among others. These work themselves nicely into the mystery, providing a reason for Robbie to be involved and giving her access to gather clues. The suspects are great, and they provide us with some good twists before we reach the creative climax. The series has always featured some local (to southern Indiana) expressions to provide local color, but a couple of times, they started to annoy more than charm. Fortunately, those were rare moments that were over quickly. If you find yourself drooling over some of the food, you’ll be happy with the recipes at the end of the book.

NOTE: I received an ARC of this book.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Profile Image for Fred.
942 reviews38 followers
June 12, 2018
Death Over Easy is the fifth book in the A Country Store Mystery series.

Robbie is very excited, the renovations on the second floor, turning that floor into a B&B, of her country store restaurant are complete, the Brown County Bluegrass Festival is about to begin and her father, Roberto and his wife Maria are visiting. So what could go wrong...maybe murder?

Robbie, Roberto, and Marie are sitting in the audience as Abe O’Neill, Robbie’s boyfriend and his band begin to warm-up. New member Pia Bianchi and Abe, with an open mike, have a mild argument as Pia wants to play a song she has written and Abe says they will go with what had been rehearsed. And they play their set without any further discussions.

The following morning Buck Bird, second in command with the local police, informs Robbie that Pia has been found on the Beanblossom Covered Bridge strangled with a guitar string. The body had been discovered be Danna’s boyfriend, Issac Rowlings. Before Buck leaves, Robbie lets Buck know that Sue Berry, who is running the BCBF, had been angry with Pia the previous evening about some money she had lent Pia and which she is behind of paying back. Also, Robbie heard one of her guests, Beth Ferguson, express quite vehemently her displeasure with Pia being at the festival. When Phil MacDonald, a student at IU like Pia and baker of wonderful desserts for Robbie, informs Robbie that he has seen Pia and another of her guests, Chase Broward, is some window-fogging embraces.

Robbie’s father and his wife know of Pia, as her family lives in the same town, so she is hoping that the police won’t lean on them too much or keep them returning home when they planned.

Being a Hoosier, I always enjoy reading this series. I have heard most the dialect of the area, but many are new to me. The story is well-plotted and written and follows an even pace. I love the characters in the series. They are all believable and well developed.

Delicious sounding recipes are also included in the book.

I will definitely be watching for the next book in this exciting series.
Profile Image for Betty.
2,006 reviews50 followers
July 29, 2018
Robbie Jordan is excited as she has opened her B&B and her Father and his wife Maria from Italy are her first guests in the 5th book. In Beanblossom the Bill Monroe Blue Grass festival is in full swing. One of the festival entertainers is discovered garrote in the nearby cover bridge. The area is located in the county so the sheriff department is in charge of the case. The lead detective is a woman. The cafe is busy the B&B Guests also are adding work. Robbie needs answers before her Father to lose his life. The ending is impressive. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this book and seriesRecipes are included.

Disclosure: Many thanks to Kensington Books for a review copy The opinions expressed are my own.
Profile Image for Lisa Ks Book Reviews.
843 reviews105 followers
October 24, 2018
Author Maddie Day won me over with the first tasty book in this series, FLIPPED FOR MURDER. With her easy, flowing style of writing, she pens a story that draws the reader in, holding them captivated until the very last word. DEATH OVER EASY is more proof of that.

I enjoyed my time back in South Lick, Indiana, with protagonist Robbie Jordan, and all the great characters that make up the town. It’s been a treat watching them, and the entire Country Store Mystery series evolve.

The mystery element itself was so well done. I was seriously chasing the wrong trail for quite some time. In the end, I did guess right, but that’s not something I mind. It makes me feel like I’m finally developing my sleuth senses. Who am I kidding. I had it narrowed down with a 50/50 shot of being right. I lucked out. 😊

As delicious as the first four installments, DEATH OVER EASY was a buffet of murder, mystery, and mouth-watering meals. The perfect recipe for a cozy mystery.
2,619 reviews32 followers
May 8, 2021
Robbie is getting ready to expand and her husband is home for 4 weeks. They are trying to decide if their marriage will last. Robbie has opened a new bed and breakfast also. Her father is visiting, the music festival is starting when one of the performers is killed. She wants to clear the banjo players names and starts looking around.
Profile Image for Natalia  R.
275 reviews156 followers
August 18, 2018
A great addition to what has become my favourite cozy mystery series.It was such a pleasure to back in South lick,Indiana and seeing what Robbie and the gang are up to.In this installment,A music festival is taking place and Robbie has finally opened her B&B and is really excited that her father and his wife are visiting.But when a performer is found murdered and her guests are on the suspects list,she takes it upon herself to investigate and find the killer.I really enjoyed this book and I am really looking forward to the next book in the series.
Profile Image for Lola.
1,472 reviews242 followers
July 23, 2018
I received a copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley

This series is one of my favorite cozy mystery series and it's always a joy to return to Robbie and her country store. It's such a comforting and happy feeling to start the next book in a series you enjoy. I like how each book in this series has some familiar elements like the store, Robbie, food and some familiar side characters that play a role each book, like Robbie's love interest, her co-workers and some citizens of the town. And each book also has some new feature or theme. There are also some storylines that continue throughout the series which gives it a great feel of continuity.

This was another great read in this series. I was happy to be back reading about Robbie and her store. In this book she starts her B&B part above her store and I liked seeing how that worked out. Especially as the past few books have been building up toward that. Ofcourse nothing ever goes smoothly for Robbie and she lands in the middle of another mystery. Her father and his wife are visiting from Italy too, so Robbie has her hands full. This book also features a music festival that takes place close by and there are some scenes that take place there.

It was another interesting mystery in this book. I liked how it was a bit straightforward with not too many suspects, but at the same time it had some interesting twists and turns. I also liked the twist at the end as I had expected it to go another way there. I wasn't too surprised when we discovered we the murderer was, but at the same time I wasn't fully sure who I suspected. I didn't really try to figure out the mystery with this one and just enjoyed following Robbie along as she pierced together the clues. It also was interesting that there was another detective on the case in this book. The end did feel a tad rushed and I felt like a few questions were left unanswered.

I liked the chance to get to now Robbie's father and his wife a bit in this book and it was fun to see how she has reconnected with him in earlier books, but this is the first book we actually see him on the pages, which was great. It was nice to see how they interacted. Ofcouse we also see more of Dana, Turner, Abe, Buck and other familiar by now side characters. It also was interesting how we got to read a bit about Dana and her boyfriend in this book.

Another thing I really like how Robbie is a smart main character. She has a few potential dangerous things she gets involved in and every time she handles it in a smart manner. Either by passing it along to the detective on the case or by getting back up before rushing into a potential dangerous situation, which is really refreshing to read about. The bluegrass festival gave an unique touch to this book again.

To summarize: This was another fun read in this series. This is one of my favorite cozy mystery series and it's always such a comfortable feeling picking up another book in this series. The mystery in this one was pretty interesting with some nice twist and turns. The theme for this book was a bluegrass festival that took place close by. And Robbie just opened her B&B above her store, which was fun to read about and the few hurdles she runs into. I liked how Robbie got involved in the mystery, but doesn't rush into danger. She is smart about investigating and there's even a scene where she gets back-up which I liked. It also was fun we got to read about Robbie her father who was visiting with his wife. All in all this continues to be a great series and I am looking forward to the next book.
Profile Image for Jay.
493 reviews19 followers
June 14, 2018
The fifth book in Maddie Day's Country Store mystery series finds Robbie Jordan and her Pans 'N Pancakes restaurant enjoying the benefits of a nearby bluegrass music festival.

She's finally got her place opened up as a bed & breakfast, with the rooms full of guests for the festival as well as her visiting Italian father and stepmother. Things are going along swimmingly for Robbie.

That is until one of the festival performers turns up dead, murdered in a gruesome fashion. Not that she wants to be, but Robbie finds herself quickly entangled in the investigation since a number of the potential suspects are actually staying at the B&B.

But when the investigation takes a turn that brings the case even closer to home, both personally and professionally, Robbie's reluctance fades and she is drawn full bore into finding out what happened. A further tragedy raises the stakes even more and Robbie doesn't just have to worry about finding the killer, but making sure she doesn't become their next victim.

Five books into the series and I am such a fanboy for the Country Store Mysteries. There's the crime aspect of course, but what I particularly enjoy is how the cast of characters and local Indiana "color" is so exquisitely woven into each book.

Robbie's long lost father (along with Robbie's stepmother) visiting her for the first time was great because you not only got to really see how the two interacted as a family unit but how they reacted to adversity when a dark secret from the past affects one character's reactions to dealing with the police.

I really enjoy how Robbie is such a fleshed out character. She knows herself and doesn't suffer from that same kind of wishy-washiness you will find in other cozy series. This is particularly noteworthy in her relationship with boyfriend Abe.

While there isn't much in the way of foul language on the pages of the book, I do like how it is clear that Robbie can actually use swear words. This may seem strange to be a positive but I appreciate that someone expresses frustration with blue language. The author generally uses sentences like, "she swore" and other turns of phrase which fit the parameters of the series but it is certainly better than a heroine who has a hard time even saying something like "Oh Phooey!"

Oh, and I like the way Robbie is portrayed as both a concerned citizen and a bit of a snoop. Yes, she's slightly flawed in that way which makes her all that much more endearing.

And you don't get bored with the supporting cast as they are threaded in and out of the narrative. From her work staff, to family members, local townspeople and cops like Lieutenant Buck Bird, it helps sharpen the focus on what makes the series so much fun to read. Murders aside, it is the kind of small town you want to visit. Getting to know the people of South Lick, Indiana has been a hoot and a half for me.

The writing is top notch, but that shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone who has read any of the work from the author. But it takes something very special to put a cozy series into my must read category. Maddie Day has certainly done that here. She makes you want to grab a table at Pans 'N Pancakes, order one of everything on the menu and settle in for a spell.

Personally, I can't get enough of this series. Highly engaging, there's heart aplenty to go along with the mayhem and I still haven't managed to pick out the right killer before the reveal. And while I generally don't have much to do with the recipes in the books, I sure would like to try the one for the Fried Apples. Sounds tasty and delicious!

Maddie Day's Country Store Mystery series is a must read for not only cozy fans but for anyone who calls themselves a fan of the mystery genre!
Profile Image for Mary Brown.
1,199 reviews45 followers
August 11, 2018
Synopsis:

June’s annual Bill Monroe Bluegrass Festival in neighboring Beanblossom is always a hit for Robbie’s country store and café, Pans ‘N Pancakes. This year, Robbie is even more excited, because she’s launching a new bed and breakfast above her shop. A few festival musicians will be among Robbie’s first guests, along with her father, Roberto, and his wife, Maria. But the celebration is cut short when a performer is found choked to death by a banjo string. Now all the banjo players are featured in a different kind of lineup. To clear their names, Robbie must pair up with an unexpected partner to pick at the clues and find the plucky killer before he can conduct an encore performance . . . (Goodreads)

Review:

The characters are well developed and well rounded. Robbie is smart, hardworking and knows what she wants in life. Right now she wants to make her bread and breakfast a success. She also wants to spend quality time with her boyfriend, Abe. And when someone at the music festival is killed, she wants to figure out what happened and nail the culprit. It will not be easy but she feels she is up to the task. I enjoyed spending some time with her father and his wife and her employees. The secondary characters added to the story.

The writing style flows smoothly and the book is an easy read. The author is very talented in her descriptive writing and painted a clear picture of South Lick, Indiana and all of the town folk. The place is oozing southern charm and gossip, where everyone knows everyone’s business. I would like to rent a room in Robbie’s Bed and Breakfast and be a part of all the action.

The mystery was well plotted and carried on well throughout the book. There were numerous clues to sift through and motives to consider when trying to solve this mystery. I think the ending will surprise you, which is always a good thing.

I would suggest this book to anyone who enjoys a well crafted cozy mystery. The whole series is great and I encourage you to start reading it.

I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book provided by the publisher, Kensington Books, and NetGalley, which I greatly appreciate.

Profile Image for Peggy R.
1,012 reviews65 followers
July 9, 2018
Another terrific entry in the Country Store Mystery series. This has such a charming setting and great characters. This time around we get to know Robbie's dad and step mom a bit more as they are visiting from Italy. The mystery kept me guessing. There are two murders in this book and the reader is left to wonder if they are related. There are not a lot of suspects but Ms. Day gives us plenty of clues and plausible motives to keep the reader wondering if they really know "whodunit." The culprit or culprits were revealed in a dramatic fashion. I really enjoy this series and always look forward to a new release.

I voluntarily read an advanced reader copy provided to me by the publisher through Netgalley.
Profile Image for Lisa Morin.
1,652 reviews44 followers
July 8, 2018
Whenever I visit Robbie Jordan, I know I'm in for a treat. Running the country kitchen, her own restaurant and vintage cookware shop, is her dream. Turning into a b and b made even more sense to Robbie, who is full with guests visiting for the Bluegrass Festival.
This story will grab your attention from the very beginning, and the reveal left me shocked.
This author sure knows how to surprise her readers.
A death at the festival certainly puts a damper on things, but Robbie is unstoppable when her father and step mother are considered suspects.
I enjoyed getting to know her father and step mother, and I hope we get to read more about them in upcoming books.
Robbie's relationship with Abe just keeps getting sweeter and I enjoy watching the romance blossom.
I volunteered to read and review an ARC of this book provided by the publisher and NetGalley.
Profile Image for Ann.
5,073 reviews59 followers
October 22, 2018
I enjoy this series, Country Store. This is book 5 I've read all the previous books and this one is a great catch up for all the characters and has Robbie's father visiting from Italy with his wife. Robbie found out him after her mother died and they are now getting to know each other. The Bluegrass festival is in town and several of the performers are renting rooms from Robbie in her newly opened B&B. Murder again finds South Lick, Indiana and Robbie helping the local police solve 2 crimes. This series is a good read and presents a good mystery. I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Profile Image for Heidi Prockish.
443 reviews13 followers
August 16, 2022
Such a good series! I love Maddie Day. In this one we get to see Robbie's dad & stepmother. They are visiting from Italy! Robbie has opened up her B&B above her restaurant and it is full of guests!! I also feel like we get to spend more time with Abe which was nice to see. I appreciated that Robbie kept the police updated throughout the investigation. I wish there would have been a little more info & closure from this story, I felt it was wrapped up quickly.
June 20, 2019
Death Over Easy is the fifth book in the Country Store Mystery series by Maddie Day. I love that this is a stand-alone read. Maddie does a nice job of filling in the blanks for anyone who hasn't read the series before.

Death Over Easy finds Robbie Jordan's Italian father, Roberto Fracasso, whom she recently connected with and his wife Maria visiting her in South Lick, Indiana. Their visit just so happens to coincide with the Bluegrass Music Festival. This is also the first time Robbie has opened up her bed and breakfast to guests. The three rooms are conveniently located above Pans ‘N Pancakes, Robbie’s restaurant/store. In addition to her father and his wife, Beth Ferguson and her partner Ed Molina are renting a room. The third room is being rented by Chase Broward, a local councillor who has ambitions of running for Senate.

Things seem to be going smoothly until everyone is out for the first night of the festival. Abe O’Neill, Robbie's boyfriend, gets into the very public argument with Pia Bianchi, a singer and student at the local college. Pia seems to have a knack for being rude and rubbing people the wrong way. She also seems to be a user and manipulator. Pia convinces Sue Berry, the lady in charge of the festival, that they are friends and gets Sue to loan her a large sum of money that Pia refuses to pay back. In a strange coincidence, it turns out Roberto and Maria know Pia’s family back in Italy. When Pia’s body is discovered, Robbie can't help but wonder who would have killed Pia and why. It seems the suspect list is pretty long. Unfortunately, Pia’s life isn’t the only one to end in this installment of the Country Store Mystery series. A beloved member of the community is also killed. Questions about who and why continue to mount and before Robbie knows it, she and the people she loves are in danger.

Maddie Day has once again written a good mystery with Death Over Easy. I love returning to South Lick and spending time with Robbie, her friends, and family. If I'm being honest, I figured out part of the whodunit but I kept questioning myself. There is a stunning development that I didn’t see coming. I cannot wait to return to South Lick. Oh, and since Robbie owns Pans ‘N Pancakes you can be sure to find some tasty recipes in the back of the book.

**Received a copy from Kensington and reviewed voluntarily.**
Profile Image for Micky Cox.
1,562 reviews16 followers
August 5, 2021
Robbie's father and stepmother are finally visiting from Italy when things go off the rails with a murder or two! Once again Robbie jumps in to figure out what is going on and could she be letting the murderer sleep under her roof in her newly opened B&B? Great plot, excellent characters and superb narration make this audio series a must listen!!!
Profile Image for RO G'ma.
1,001 reviews35 followers
June 10, 2018
Death Over Easy is the fifth book in Maddie Day’s Country Store Mysteries series. The story is well developed and flows smoothly and the characters are relatable. This book can easily be read as a standalone because there is great character background. Ms. Day does an excellent job of incorporating the local dialect in the spoken words, but not in the narrative, which I believe adds to the readability of her book and allows the characters to come to life. There are plenty of twists and turns and multiple suspects to keep the reader engaged.

Robbie Jordan owns a café/antique cookware shop, Pans ‘N Pancakes, in South Lick, Indiana. She’s finished remodeling the second floor to create three rooms for a small Bed and Breakfast. Her father, Roberto, and his wife, Maria, who are visiting from Italy, are among her first guests, along with a few festival musicians who are in town for the Brown County Bluegrass Festival being held in the nearby town of Beanblossom. Robbie’s boyfriend, Abe O’Neill, and his bluegrass group perform at the festival, with Pia Bianchi playing banjo on a trial basis. Lieutenant Buck Bird, second in command of the South Lick Police Department, tells Robbie that there’s been a suspicious death, that Isaac Rowling, Dana’s boyfriend, found the body inside the Beanblossom covered bridge and asks her if she knows the victim, Pia Bianchi. Robbie tells him she doesn’t know her well, but is in a puzzle group with her. She goes on to say that Pia was prickly at puzzle group, owed Sue Barry money, argued with Abe about the playlist on stage the night before with the mics turned on, and that Beth Ferguson, a B&B guest isn’t happy that Pia is at the festival. She also lets Buck know that her father and Maria know Pia’s family, who live in Italy, and that Phil MacDonald knows the victim because she’s a music student at IU, and told Robbie that Chase Broward, another B&B guest and a married man, had an affair with Pia. Detective Sergeant Anne Henderson of the Sheriff’s Department is handling the investigation since the murder occurred in Beanblossom, an unincorporated town. When she questions Robbie, she shares that the victim was garroted with a wire; she also told her she knew about her previous amateur detective activities, and made her promise to keep out of this investigation, but Robbie loves a good puzzle and just can’t stop herself from asking questions ad doing a little snooping.

I received an Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and voluntarily reviewed it.
Profile Image for Kristina.
3,358 reviews60 followers
August 3, 2018
Death Over Easy by Maddie Day is the fifth novel in A Country Store Mystery series. Robbie Jordan owns Pans ‘N Pancakes in South Lick, Indiana. Robbie currently has her father and his wife visiting from Italy and they are staying in her newly refinished B&B rooms over her restaurant. It is June and time for the Brown County Bluegrass Festival that is being held in nearby Beanblossom. It will mean extra business for her restaurant plus some of the musicians are staying in her B&B. Robbie enjoys an evening at the festival despite Pia Bianchi causing some disharmony. The next morning Lt. Buck Bird stops by for breakfast and mentions that Pia was found dead at the Beanblossom covered bridge that morning. She was strangled with banjo strings (ouch). When Sue Berry ends up at the top of the suspect list, Robbie swings into action. Pia managed to antagonize a notable number of people giving Robbie a suspect list longer than an operetta. Robbie will need to compose the clues into a harmonious tune to pick out the cut-throat killer.

Death Over Easy is nicely written and has a steady pace which makes for a satisfying reading experience. I like the characters in the story. Robbie is a smart, strong woman who has started a new business as well as doing construction on the upstairs rooms to expand her business. It is sweet that Robbie is finally getting to know her father, Roberto Fracasso. I wish his wife, Maria spoke better English, so we could get to know her as well. The town of South Lick is quaint small town with friendly residents. The author has created a cozy environment. It is like visiting old friends when I pick up a new A Country Store Mystery. It is neat how each book features a different theme or event and I enjoy the various vintage kitchen tools mentioned. There are many pleasing cozy moments throughout the story as Robbie cooks, attends the festival, spends time with her kitten, and interacts with her friends, co-workers, boyfriend and family. The mystery was straightforward with some misdirection, a handful of suspects, a search through the woods, and a twist at the end. I like that the local police work with Robbie and are not portrayed as dullards. While Death Over Easy can be read alone, you would be missing some of the background on Robbie Jordan. I recommend reading A Country Store Mystery series in order. There are recipes at the end for a couple of the dishes featured in the story. Death Over Easy is a charming cozy mystery that will have you eager for the next A Country Store Mystery.
Profile Image for Amy.
947 reviews
May 10, 2018
Robbie has opened the Bed and Breakfast above Pan ‘N Pancakes. With the Music Festival and her father and his wife visiting the rooms are filled.
When a musician is found dead it makes everyone uncomfortable. Is it possible the killer is one of the guests at the Bed and Breakfast?
Of course Robbie gets involved looking for clues.
Two murders, a music festival, suspects, clues to keep you guessing in this fantastic cozy mystery.
This is a wonderful series and I always look forward to the next book.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book.
Profile Image for Amy.
492 reviews4 followers
July 24, 2018
Death Over Easy is the fifth installment in the Country Store series. Robbie Jordan has added a bed & breakfast onto her already successful restaurant, Pans & Pancakes set in rural Indiana. Her father and her stepmother have travelled from Italy to visit her and are one of her first guests. There is a bluegrass music festival in town that weekend so Robbie has other guests as well and everyone is enjoying the fun. But when a festival singer is found murdered, Robbie is once again drawn into solving another mystery.
I really enjoyed this book. The writing is excellent! The author captures the local culture in both dialect and mannerisms. Robbie's character continues to develop and I liked how her family has now been brought into the series. Her relationship with Abe also builds and I hope that continues.

Thanks to NetGalley and Kensington for an ARC of this book. My review is voluntary.
1,752 reviews3 followers
August 26, 2018
Death Over Easy is a cute cozy mystery. I enjoyed the plot and the quirky cast of characters. I also enjoyed the author's writing and look forward to reading more of her books. I recommend to fans of mysteries.
446 reviews1 follower
June 18, 2018
I cannot express how much I enjoyed this book! I love how we got to meet Robbie's father, and how the author twisted him and his wife into the mystery and murder! The writing, as always, was spectacular! If you haven't read this series yet, what are you waiting for?
Profile Image for Valerie.
580 reviews6 followers
June 12, 2018
A great addition to the Country Store series. Robbie is kept busy with her restaurant/store, her new B&B, her father and step-mothers visit from Italy, a bluegrass festival and two murders. It's a well-written and fast-paced story and everything blends together nicely. #DeathOverEasy #NetGalley
Profile Image for Carla.
5,726 reviews121 followers
December 15, 2018
There is so much going on in Robbie Jordan's life in South Lick, Indiana. She has just opened the B&B portion of her business, her father and his wife are visiting from Italy and in nearby Beanblossom the Bill Monroe Blue Grass festival is in full swing. When one of the performers is found murdered and several of her guests are on the suspect list (including her father and his wife), she takes it upon herself to ask questions and snoop around. Shortly after she begins her sleuthing, another prominent member of the community is also killed, garrotted with a banjo string, the same as the first victim.

It is great to read this series and meet up with all my favourite characters. Adele and Samuel made several appearances and Phil supplied his yummy desserts. We got to see a lot of Abe and Robbie together, and it is nice to see how their relationship is growing. Even the mayor had her part in her own bluegrass band. I found that rather humorous, as she always seemed so straight laced. Danna, Robbie's assistant not only was working, but her boyfriend was a suspect and she made several appearances. There was a bit of a reference to PTSD in the story, but it was not a focal point, just a fact. The reveal of the killer(s) was amazing. Once the mystery started to be unraveled, I couldn't wait to find out who was responsible. Not only did Robbie find herself in danger, but so did some of the others close to her. A fantastic ending and it is going to be tough to top this one in her next book. Bravo Maddie Day. The publisher, Kensington Publisher, generously provided me with a copy of this book upon my request. The rating, ideas and opinions shared are my own.
Profile Image for Babs.
Author 16 books188 followers
July 28, 2018
The Brown County Bluegrass Festival is about to begin and Robbie's parents are visiting. She is excited as the renovations on the 2nd floor as a B&B are coming along.

Sitting in the audience waiting on her boyfriend, Abe O'Neill's band to get ready to play. Things heat up between Abe and Pia but the show goes on. The police, inform Robbie that Pia has been found on the Beanblossom Covered Bridge strangled with a guitar string that night.

There are twists that make Robbie look good for the next victim. What will happen and can she be saved?

I enjoyed Robbie and seeing her parents show up was a nice surprise. A great read. I have not read all the books in the series but I did not feel like I was lacking any information.
Profile Image for Mystereity Reviews.
778 reviews43 followers
January 7, 2020
Another book I read awhile back but life got in the way of the review. Did a quick re-read and I'd forgotten what a great series this is. I love the small midwest town, the diner and the fun characters (especially Buck!) and I'm a huge fan of Bluegrass, so it already had a bunch of elements I love. I loved "meeting" Robbie's father and stepmother at long last and they were involved in the story thanks to a tie to the murder victim, so they weren't just background noise. A great, quick paced plot revolving around a pair or murders kept me turning pages and the exciting conclusion made for a really satisfying read.
Profile Image for Annette.
107 reviews33 followers
January 14, 2020
Every time I read a book in this series, I feel like I am in an actual breakfast diner. I can almost taste the food. Jordan is a very likable character and her supporting cast family and friends are just an enjoyable.
Profile Image for QNPoohBear.
2,922 reviews1,468 followers
February 1, 2022

Robbie Jordan is busier than ever now she's an inkeeper as well as a store/cafe owner. She's hosting her first guests in time for summer and the local Bluegrass festival. Robbie can't wait to introduce her father and his wife to Bluegrass and show them around the area. She never expects to be caught up in another murder investigation! When one of the performers in the festival ends up murdered, Robbie feels uneasy that perhaps one of her guests may have had something to do with it. When the police set their sights on Robbie's father and his wife, visitors from Italy, it gets personal. Robbie will just have to ask around and see if she can find any useful information to share with the police.

This mystery was the best of the bunch in spite of several illogical things that happen, the atrocious Italian and the unlikable main character. I read the whole thing straight through without getting bored and did not guess who the murderer was. I really thought it was someone else. I was SHOCKED and STUNNED and really upset by the second murder. The murder method was also very gory for a cozy mystery and I didn't like it. The cozy parts were mostly done well. The area managed to sound charming in spite of a lack of interest in any sort of country music on my part.
I was surprised Adele refers to Bluegrass as "Hillbilly music". I would think hillbilly would be a derogatory term by now. There's some slut shaming and sexism I didn't care for. I did like one of the minor plot threads that occurs very near the end of the book. I was glad everything worked out. Finally, Robbie makes some things I would eat! I would also like Phil's Kahlua brownie sandwiches!

I have to critique the atrocious Italian in this book and I don't even speak, read or write it but I come from an Italian-speaking family and we have Italian friends. Bianco is Italian for White and Bianci is plural. There might be people named Bianci in Italy, I don't know, but I do know a Bianco family and I can assure you that Bianco is just as common as White is here and just because I know a Bianco family doesn't mean they're related to say Betty White! That was WAY too much of a coincidence. WAY too unbelieveable. Why does everyone from Italy come to Indiana for college? That's so weird.

Robbie is still pretty annoying. She's judgy, especially size related. She justifies it saying "Oh as long as she's happy with her body it's OK. I am too!" Why mention it at all? It's rude to describe someone by their size, especially a woman. She's also rude to guests at her inn who want recommendations for places to visit and eat. She resents their asking. That's part of the territory! It's good customer service to help people find what they need. They're paying you not just for your room and board but for her local expertise. Don't rent rooms if you can't handle customer service. Robbie is also really dumb and careless when it comes to the safety of herself and her guests. The guests have a separate, exterior entrance and they all have keys to their rooms. When a policewoman suggests security, Robbie is so dumb that she imediately thinks of a security guard round the clock and she can't afford that. Then the policewoman suggests cameras and Robbie is like DUH why didn't I think of that? Robbie sounds much older than her 27 years. I keep thinking she's in her late 40s from the way she sounds and acts. She's a bit older than Danna and Turner but acts like she's old enough to be their mother!

Her knowledge of Italian and Italian culture is pretty limited especially for a southern Californian. If she was a Hossier born and raised in South Lick and never left, that would make more sense. As she's cleaning her business at the end of the day she could put on headphones and Duolingo and learn Italian. My nieces are learning foreign languages for fun on their phones. I would expect Robbie to have working knowledge of Spanish. Italian is similar, different spellings and pronounciations but similar. I can figure it out based on my limited grade school French and Spanish. (All my grandmother passed on was bad words and food).

Robbie's father, Roberto Fracasso and his wife Maria must be saints. They put up with a lot of nonsense. Roberto is so happy after finding Robbie and he's thrilled with the way his life turned out even if he nearly died getting there! Maria is a little more realistic. She's cautious and worries a lot. Her English is limited but she seems to understand a lot. Suddenly remembering Pia though it super weird and I don't like lame coincidences like that.

Pia Bianci, a talented musician and singer, is a performer in the Bluegrass festival. She's set to perform with Abe's band but just before they are to go on, she tries to change things. Pia has a huge ego and thinks she's the best. Abe is right, however talented she is, it's an ensemble piece and they didn't reherase her music. They need to stick to what they said they were going to perform and what they rehearsed. Maybe next time Pia can perform original pieces if they discuss it in advance. Pia is also rude to Sue Berry, to whom she owes money. On the other side of the coin, Phil and his fellow music students admire Pia for her musical talent and truly mourn her when she's murdered. Phil is sweet. He likes everyone.

Sue Berry is wonderful! She's carrying on in spite of her daughter's murder. She's found a life outside the home organizing the music festival. She's dedicated, tireless and mostly always cheerful. I like her a lot and admire her. However, Sue has beef with a couple of people, including the murder victim. I don't want her to be a murderer! I don't think she is. Besides, if she killed Pia, she wouldn't get her money back. That doesn't make sense.

Beth Ferguson, one of Robbie's guests, seems suspicious to me. She's evasive, lazy, snippy and sneaky. She and her boyfriend Ed Molina seem truly in sync with one another and the music when they're on stage. He's a first rate fiddler and she's a clogger. Off stage though she's very unpleasant. Ed seems nice and laid back. He seems willing to comply with the police and Robbie's rules but Beth is not a conformist. She's always on edge. What does she have to hide? Did she kill Pia? I think she did.

Another suspect is Chase Broward. He's an older man and has served on the Bloomington city council and is now running for U.S. Congress. That much of a leap? Why not mayor and the governor first? Oh I hope he loses or ends up in jail for murder! I may be biased against his politics and his age but I get a sleazy vibe from him. He wants the accolades more than he has a desire to serve the people of Indiana. Plus there are certain times when he gives off a creepy vibe sneaking around. Why does he put a card in the door of his room, just to know if someone has been in there? Robbie has every right to go in her own building. Who is he really hiding from?

The police are suspicious of Danna's boyfriend, Isaac Rowling because Isaac found Pia's body. Danna is certain Isaac never killed anyone but do the police know that? He lives off the grid and is often incommunicado making him very suspicious. Robbie is concerned the police will zero in on him for no good reason. She partly fears he has power to do harm because he's a veteran and feels the need to hint at that to the police. Didn't she do enough meddling in the spring? The police are well aware of his status and what symptoms of PTSD look like thank you moronic Robbie. Then Isaac goes missing and Danna is frantic. Danna seems cool and I'm surprised Isaac is her type. He's much older and a veteran and she's a young, hippieish free spirit. She seems to love him though and is truly worried about his safety. Where he is and why isn't much of a mystery. If Danna knows him well enough she can guess.

Anne Henderson, the detective in charge of the murder case, seems very competent. She's tough, no nonsense and does NOT want Robbie involved. She's unwilling to share information but she is open to hearing what gossip Robbie has picked up and helps guide Robbie to a more secure inn. Detective Henderson is the anti-Buck. She's training Wanda, Buck's cousins, to be just like her but Wanda is a bit overzealous and doesn't understand how to question people of interest. She goes after people like they are guilty in her mind and she treats them as such. I don't like that about her and don't fully trust her.

Sue's husband, Glenn, is horrid. In the first book I got the impression that he was kind of a jerk and in this book I KNOW he's not KIND OF but IS a HUGE jerk. He has antiquated sexist ideas about a woman's place and it seems to be causing conflict in his marriage. Sue needs to leave him ASAP. She needs to take her daughter and granddaughter away from him. What kind of message does he want to send to his 21st century granddaughter? She is NOT going to like him very much when she's old enough to understand.

Thank goodness Corinne Beadle is mayor. She has so much sense and is one tough cookie. She helps keep Robbie grounded and from doing something REALLY dumb. I like Corinne a lot. She's also a cool mother, allowing her adult daughter the freedom to come and go when she pleases without fussing that Danna spent the night with her boyfriend. I'd rather read about Corinne and Danna than Robbie. Abe is also on hand to help with the mystery. He's a great guy and seems to really love Robbie for some reason. His military training gives him knowledge and sense that Robbie lacks and keeps her out of trouble.

Who killed Pia? Do we care? Not really because she was so nasty! Did the same person kill the second victim? Is Robbie next?
Displaying 1 - 30 of 189 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.