Start by marking “When We Found Home” as Want to Read:
When We Found Home

When We Found Home

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  3,488 Ratings  ·  640 Reviews
Becoming a family will take patience, humor, a little bit of wine and a whole lot of love...

Life is meant to be savored, but that's not easy with no family, limited prospects and a past you'd rather not talk about. Still, Callie Smith doesn't know how to feel when she discovers she has a brother and a sister--Malcolm, who grew up with affection, wealth and privilege, and
Published July 10th 2018 by HQN Books

To ask other readers questions about When We Found Home, please sign up.

DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

He gave her a smile that would have melted a frozen planet.

She agreed with generous —he was that. As for kind, well, he was growing on her. Like the famous Seattle moss, she thought with a smile.

I’d offer to let you borrow one of mine, but you’re what, twenty pounds lighter, two inches shorter and yet you have bigger boobs. Why do I like you?

We’re going to deal with our heartaches the way God intended— with liquor, sugar, a movie and people we love.

You did everything right. And
Amy
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-arcs
I love the idea behind this story, I can’t imagine finding out I had not one, but two half siblings as an adult. How hard would it be to form a familial bond later in life? Difficult I’m quite sure, especially when every one of the siblings comes from a completely different background. Malcolm is the oldest and moved to his grandfathers home as a teenager, Keira was discovered when she was twelve and Callie as a woman in her twenties. Each age would present a new set of challenges and many are e ...more
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

Finding out you have two other siblings and have a wealthy grandfather definitely was overwhelming news for Callie and had been very overwhelming for Keira two months ago. Their step brother, Malcolm, had been with his grandfather since he was twelve and was used to the lifestyle and family.

Malcolm was already working in the family business and didn’t want to be bothered with a twelve-year-old and now he had another sister. At least this sister wasn’t a child.

The siblings were all children conc
Lisa Vegan
I particularly liked the 4 young characters – one young teen and three adults in their twenties and thirties, and I also really liked the grandfather, and the housekeeper, and wish there was even more on the pages about those two. I really identified in various ways with Keira, Callie, and Delaney. Virtually all of the characters are very relatable and understandable, and there is a lot to like about them. They are complex and realistic and I enjoyed hearing their internal process. I felt as tho ...more
Sherri Thacker
This is my 3rd book by Susan Mallery and it’s the third book of hers I’ve given 3 stars. It started really good but then it started to drag about 3/4 in with only 1/4 left. It was good. Not a great book, just good.
Rissa
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its heartwarming and beautiful.
Callie finds out she has alot of family and they want to get to know and its their journey through friendship and relationships and finding their way home. It was adorable.
Asheley
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

When We Found Home by Susan Mallery in a nutshell is the story of three siblings who end up with one another after their much-older grandfather goes to great lengths to bring them together as family. All three have the same father but three different mothers. They all have different backgrounds and come from different parts of the United States. Malcolm is in his thirties, Callie is in her mid-twenties, and young Keira is only twelve.

Callie is the last to arrive at the family home in Seattl
Michele
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
See the full review at HarlequinJunkie.com

A lovely work of fiction about the complexity of family relationships, what it takes to make lasting connections, and overcoming past insecurities and issues, When We Found Home was wonderfully touching and absolutely heartwarming.

Susan Mallery’s books are always a joy to read. I love the flow of her writing, the emotions she touches upon, detailing them perfectly, and of course her characters who are flawed and relatable. When We Found Home turned out t
steph
I was not feeling this book. I skipped about 50 pages towards the end but ended up finishing it. I just couldn't connect with any of the characters. It was a disappointing Mallery read, that is for sure.
Chris Conley
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy cow. Started this yesterday afternoon and finished it at 2:00 a.m. No one does interesting, complicated characters as well as Mallery.
Under the Covers Book Blog

I was very excited about reading this book because I've read Susan Mallery's contemporary romances before (some of the Fool's Gold series) and I wanted to try a different genre by her.  Plus the premise of the story seemed to have everything I was looking for in a summer read.  This is about three half siblings who didn't know anything about thei
Melissa Borsey
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A wonderfully complex story told with humor and love. Susan Mallery has a wonderful talent of bringing her characters to life. Highly recommend this very touching story.
Kathryn
Ms. Mallery is a master entertainer, her prose is light hearted but can quickly switch gears to serious, when appropriate. Reading her is like a good desert for the mind. You are devoted to the experience and it is sheer pleasure but once finished the enjoyment is a passing thought.

This book's premise is about as unlikely as they come, three half siblings have little in common except their genetics. Their irresponsible father abandoned them shortly after they were conceived or born with little i
Mandi Kaye Ottaway
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dear Ms. Mallery,

A few years back, I discovered your Fool’s Gold series and absolutely devoured it. I read nothing else for weeks! It was pretty glorious, since one of my favorite things an author can do is continue to tell new stories in the same world.

When We Found Home isn’t part of that series, but my head canon is that it’s still the same world – just different characters in a different town. And oh what characters they are!

At first I had a bit of trouble with the frequent narrative changes
Sheery
I struggled with the rating I wanted to give this book. In the end I would say I give it 3.5 stars. I did like the book but had a few issues with it. Let me say that I love the premise - which is three people discovering that they are half siblings at different points in their lives. Keira, the 12 year old who was abandoned by her mother and left in foster care, Callie, who is 26 and struggling to find her way in a sometimes unforgiving world after making a mistake and being punished harshly and ...more
Jenea Whittington
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When We Found Home takes us through the emotional story of three siblings. They never know the other existed, but are brought together at the request of their Grandfather.

After the death of Alberto Carlesso’s son he learns that he two other children out there somewhere. Of course Alberto stars searching for them, he first finds Keira, a 12 years old, who hasn’t had the best life. Callie, the other granddaughter Callie hasn’t had it much better. Keira and Callie hit if off right away, but Malcolm
Cheryl
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fans of this author's is in for a great treat. When We Found Home is a pure delightful read! This book is filled with many engaging characters: Malcolm, Callie, Keira, Delaney, Alberto, and Santiago. All of these characters interacted well with each other. There are a few relationships that blossomed as well between Malcolm and Delaney as well as Callie and Santiago. Both relationships I was a fan of.

At the end of the book are some discussion questions. I chose the following question to answer:
☆☆Hannah☆☆
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Normally I like her books but this one not so much. A part of the problem was that it really didn't need to be over 400 pages long. Not too much happens. In the end everyone is happy. Which is why it got 2 stars.
Suzanne
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5
Sascha
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars.

Lately it seems as though a lot of romance authors are branching out into women’s fiction, which is a good thing. I think. However, for me, a lot of these novels show the growing pains of the writer trying to be true to their roots while forging new ground.

While Susan Mallery’s When We Found Home is extremely well-written, in her usual fashion, and the subject matter of three half-siblings discovering each other is intriguing, the amount of repetition and lack of spark made the nove
Sara Mcbride
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Why does this book have such a high rating? I am so disappointed that I paid $12 for it. I am not a fan of this authors writing style at all. The story was promising, but really...it sucked. I found zero chemistry between any of the characters. I was okay with the siblings, but the two romances, were boring and what a bland character the grandfather turned out to be.

The romance between Santiago and Callie was just plain stupid. They talked about what a macho, jock, player he was and one look at
Diane Saul
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Alberto Carlesso’s son Jerry wasn’t much of a Father. Malcolm was ignored by his Father and raised by his Grandfather, Alberto, after his Mother’s death. When going thru papers Jerry passed away Alberto finds out there are 2 other children that were abandoned,, a 12 year old girl and an adult woman. Alberto finds them and brings them to the family home. Both girls are having a hard time adjusting to their new life. They haven’t had an easy time and are reluctant to trust.

This is a heartwarming s
Kimmie
May 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
ARC won through goodreads giveaway. I really struggled with finishing this book...for me it was too repetitive, bounced around and skipped through events with no clarification. Thus, I had trouble making a connection with the characters especially the Santiago character.
Cathy Geha
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When We Found Home by Susan Mallery

The siblings starring in this story don’t know one another or even know of one another until their father dies and a few years later their grandfather, Alberto Carlesso, goes through his son’s belongings to find out that he has other grandchildren. Instead of just the one grandson Malcolm, that joined his grandfather when he was 12, Alberto finds he also has two granddaughters. Callie is in her twenties and has no family and she has a past she wants to put beh
Isha Coleman
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
When We Found Home by Susan Mallery
Family is something we all take for granted. Their the people that will always be there, no matter what. What happens when family is not an option? When We Found Home is how to create a family out of nothing. Susan Mallery takes us through broken hearts, first meetings and slowly built bonds through the eyes of three strangers. Callie has not had an easy life. No family, limited choices and at times no hope. The irony is her ability to stay on the bright side
Donna
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. As far as thirty-four year old Malcolm knew, he was the only grandchild of a wealthy man. When his roaming father died, two other children were discovered, 12 year old Keira and 26 year old Callie. Their grandfather brings them all together to live in the huge family home.

This is a good, heartwarming tale of family members that have to learn how to be a real family together. Couple of good romances within the story.
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
another book by this author I could not put down! I loved the family dynamics in each family represented because they all felt like either my family or some I have known. Plus many characters had baggage they had to overcome to get where they needed to be by the end of the book.

another winner!
Giedre
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Or, more accurately, When I Found Boredom. If you're looking for an entertaining beach read, this is not it.
Kim
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. I loved the whole thing!
Darcy
Right from the start I could see how this one was going to go, but I did care. I wanted to see the siblings become family, to see them start to depend on each other. And while they had a rough start that did happen. I did find it funny how Keira, the youngest, was often the one that held them together. The romances for the two older siblings were great too. Both of them found people that they needed and that appreciated their crazy new family.
#1 New York Times bestselling author Susan Mallery writes heartwarming and humorous novels about the relationships that define women's lives—family, friendship, romance. She's best known for putting nuanced characters into emotionally complex, real-life situations with twists that surprise readers to laughter. Because Susan is passionate about animal welfare, pets play a big role in her books. Bel ...more
“As Maya Angelou said, ‘I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.” 0 likes
“If you're not happy, it's all on you. If you want to find your way, be your own compass.” 0 likes