Start by marking “Hello Girls” as Want to Read:
Hello Girls

Hello Girls

Best friends are forged by fire. For Winona Olsen and Lucille Pryce, that fire happened the night they met outside the police station—both deciding whether to turn their families in.

Winona has been starving for life in the seemingly perfect home that she shares with her seemingly perfect father, celebrity weatherman Stormy Olsen. No one knows that he locks the pantry door
Published August 6th 2019 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Hello Girls, please sign up.
Cat It is definitely for older crowd - I'd say, 15+.
TW: domestic abuse, drugs, murder, gambling.

Start your review of Hello Girls
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Video review - https://youtu.be/w9617uq7Kk0?t=73

This was such a quick read but unfortunately it wasn’t really for me. I was totally engrossed in the story because I had no clue where it was going but then when I got to probably 70% of the way through, I just started losing interest. I was so far in that I sped through the rest of it so I could finish.

*ARC provided in exchange for an honest review by HarperCollins Frenzy*
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I am so mad at myself for putting this off for so long because I FUCKING LOVED THIS. WOW.
emma
this might not be worth much, because i could never get enough emily henry...

but this wasn't enough emily henry.

review to come / 3.5 stars

--------------

better late than never!!!

--------------

this book came out......and i didn't even notice.

and i have the nerve to call myself an emily henry stan.

(i'm still going to call myself an emily henry stan.)

--------------

best friends? runaways? revenge? contemporary?

EMILY HENRY?????????

RELEASE DATE IN 2019????????????????

cruel, cruel, cruel world.

just give
rin ( ̄ヘ ̄)	 read/watch mo dao zu shi
*slides $10* make them gay
Malanie
Two best friends from Michigan go on a road trip of empowerment in their stolen convertible. WAS THIS NOVEL WRITTEN *JUST* FOR ME? BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE IT WAS.

I went into this with high hopes. I love Emily Henry, I love the setting, I love friendship. But I guess,,,,,,,,,I was expecting something more emotionally devastating? i.e Intense feelings between these two friends. I showed up almost entirely for the friendship; sadly, though, I never felt it. I was told “these two are friends” instead of
Jeff Zentner
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am deeply fortunate to have gotten to read this as a manuscript.

HELLO GIRLS is a razor-sharp union of sidesplitting dark comedy, fierce feminism, and poignant friendship, paced like an Alfa-Romeo at full throttle, and written in gleaming, perfect, gutpunch sentences.

One of the sharpest, funniest, and most perfectly written books I’ve ever read. This story of two best friends on the lam will have you alternating between rolling with laughter and picking your jaw up off the floor in wonder.

megs_bookrack
Thelma & Louise for the next generation???

Sign me the F*UP!!

Elise (TheBookishActress)
Nov 14, 2017 marked it as releases-2019
cowritten vigilante girl besties based off Thelma & Louise, and also this cover dropped absolutely saved me. uh, hello, yes?
Emily
Nov 14, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
a good book full of very bad ideas
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, edelweiss
This review originally appeared on Novel Ink as part of the Hello Girls blog tour.

content warnings: drugs, alcohol, domestic abuse, parental abuse, disordered eating, gambling, murder, violence, mentions of prostitution

Having read and loved books by both Cavallaro and Henry, I went into Hello Girls fully expecting to enjoy it, and it did not disappoint. It’s a
Jananie (thisstoryaintover)
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
was not expecting to love this. BUT I DID. what a wild ride.
sally♡ is reading cdth!!!
this was really really really really really really really good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
there are so many great things about this book, but can i just say a few:
the BEST FRIENDSHIP between winona and lucille was absolute GOALS and so so amazing !! the whole book is literally girls supporting girls and best girlfriends roadtripping across the country, robbing gas stations, and drugging men who buy pills to drug young women. absolutely badass, fun, and a little insane. i LOVE it. non and lucy always have
chloe ♡
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
despite the way the world had seen them, despite what it had demanded of them, the lies it had told and the love it had taken away, the insistence that they be both more and less than who they were, despite the rent they had to pay, the utility bills, the days in line waiting for them at the dmv, the interviews for jobs, the meals they would have to make and the floors they would have to clean and the windows they would have to close against the night sky –

lucille had the confused sense that
Noa ☾
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Tw : physical abuse, manipulation

ARC provided by Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

“Why did people lie ? With their words, with their voices, with their bodies, with their beautiful houses and beautiful clothes and sometimes even their faces ? Why couldn’t everyone just be what they were ? Monsters should look like monsters.”

Between the ages of 12 and 15, I dreamt of running away in a Thelma and Louise way (not because my life was horrible, but because of imagination and vicariously
Stacee
I was completely sold on the idea of a Thelma and Louise story. I didn’t even need to know more than that.

I loved Winona and Lucille. They’re similar and entirely different and I really enjoyed seeing how they became friends. Nearly every man in this story is a d-bag, yet it was so accurate at the same time.

Plot wise, it’s sort of a roller coaster. There’s a bit of a slow start as we get the back story of the two of them, but when the bang hits, it doesn’t let go. The ending didn’t go in the
TL
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was just okay for me. I was interested in where the story was going but around 60% it started to go flat for me.

The idea was good but it never felt fully formed and the girls didn't jump off the page. There were some good moments sprinkled throughout and some of the humor was okay. *shrugs* That's about it really.

A few times I thought I sense a different vibe between the girls but the authors didn't see how to go about it? Maybe? Could be just me.

Not a bad summer read, not a standout.

Faith Simon
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is exactly the feminist revenge story I wanted when it was announced. This is to say, I was not at all disappointed by this book.
Who doesn't love two BFFs robbing convenience stores and driving across the country on the run from abusive family members? I adore some good road trip stories, and this one may just top any others I've ever read.
The idea of these two authors coming together to write this was honestly one of the best ideas of our generation. This book is riddled with feminist
sanna ♡

————————————————————————
I did not feel connected to this story at all. I mixed up the two characters all the time, even in the end. This story made me feel NOTHING, which is something that never happend to me before. I did not have high expectations but I thought that I atleast would enjoy it a little bit, my mistake.

To be honest, I don't remeber what the story were about. Two girls going on a roadtrip, kinda. I know that one of the girls wanted to get away from her dad but I don't remember why
2.5/ 5 stars

Hello Girls is Young Adult contemporary fiction.

The narrators are 17 year olds Winona and Lucille (3rd person POVs).

The story is about two best friends who leave their awful family members behind. They go on a road trip Thelma & Louise style. The story is a bit dark.

I liked both girls. But I was very angry at both of their home situations. They both had male family members who were horrible people.

I liked the idea of this book. Two teens going on the road. I didn't mind some
Dylan
This was sent to me by the publisher, in return for an honest review. Of course, all thoughts are my own.

3.5 stars.

I have incredibly mixed feelings about this book.

This seems to have been written for me. My favorite trope *ever* is vigilante teenage girls. I just find the entire trope so thrilling and impowering. While I loved that aspect of HELLO GIRLS, it's far from a perfect story.

First off, these girls are pretty dumb. I can't go into too much detail since the parts where their lack of
Maile
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such an amazing read! Girl power to the max; it was so funny and empowering!

Thank you to Katherine Tegen Books and Harper Collins for the free ARC!
S.M. Parker
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THIS IS MY EVERYTHING!!!!!!
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
You can find the full review and all the fancy and/or randomness that accompanies it at It Starts at Midnight .

Parts of this book weresuper. Like a road trip! And two young women being completely over the patriarchy! And strong female friendships! But for whatever reason (and I can't fully articulate them which I realize makes me the worst), I just never fully connected to the characters, and by extension, the story.

Here's the thing: most of the people in this story are pure and total garbage.
Nicole Alycia
I absolutely loved this rollercoaster ride of a book!
When Winona and Lucille finally reach their breaking points they run away from home together to start a life free from everything holding them back. But things don’t exactly go the way they envisioned.
From robbing convenience stores to faking a kidnapping, these girls are on a wild ride across the country that there’s no going back from.
Such a fun, fast paced book that I could not put down! Highly recommend it and can’t wait to see what
Stacy Fetters
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
"I don’t know you or your business, honey, but I can tell you this- you two are the Lamborghini of problems."

Thelma and Louise is a movie that everyone should see at least once. I’ve seen it a while back but I remember the gist of it. This is a modern version of that movie with a riot of problems and a deep friendship that no one can come between.

Winona and Lucille became fast friends years ago. They spotted each other overthinking turning their families into the police but they found serenity
Mari Johnston
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This review and many others can also be found at Musings of a (Book) Girl.

Content Warnings: child abuse, Alzheimer’s, underage drinking, gun violence, drugs

First off, you need to know that I would die for Winona and Lucille. These two are the absolute best characters in the world and I would do anything for their happiness.

Hello Girls is easily one of my top three books of 2019 so far. I haven’t read any of Brittany Cavallaro or Emily Henry’s solo novels, but I’m definitely dying to now. There
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
You know when you start a book and know immediately that it's not going to click with you. That was me after starting HELLO GIRLS. I read about 10% of the book, but I felt no connection to the characters or the relationships. I also didn't feel anything about Winona or Lucy's situation which should have been a big emotional investment from me. I love friendship stories but this one was a miss for me.
Allie (alliewithbooks)
Probably more like a 3.5 but I don’t feel strongly enough to rate it a 4. This book had some great and funny moments, but the meh outweighed the positive. I don’t feel strongly about this book either way. I found some of it to be confusing narratively and I’m still not convinced co-authoring a book can be done successfully. It was an interesting novel with a great friendship, but enough of it fell flat for it to be so-so.
Lisa
Apr 25, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019, arc
Put this one down. I liked the premise but the content took a hard left I wasn’t interested in or expecting. Totally a personal preference.
Savannah
Goddamn, this book was so heartbreaking, wild, and a helluva lot of fun! But damn it, I want a part 2!!!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Let's Call It a Doomsday
  • Permanent Record
  • The Arrival of Someday
  • These Witches Don't Burn (These Witches Don't Burn, #1)
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • Now Entering Addamsville
  • The Downstairs Girl
  • Fan the Fame
  • When the Sky Fell on Splendor
  • American Royals (American Royals, #1)
  • The Revolution of Birdie Randolph
  • Dear Haiti, Love Alaine
  • This Time Will Be Different
  • The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
  • Unpregnant (Unpregnant, #1)
  • Screen Queens
  • The Last True Poets of the Sea
  • All the Bad Apples
Brittany Cavallaro is a poet, fiction writer, and old school Sherlockian. She is the New York Times bestselling author of the Charlotte Holmes novels from HarperCollins/Katherine Tegen Books, including A STUDY IN CHARLOTTE, THE LAST OF AUGUST, THE CASE FOR JAMIE, and A QUESTION OF HOLMES. She's also the author of the poetry collections GIRL-KING and UNHISTORICAL (University of Akron) and is the ...more