Start by marking “For the Love of Discipline: When the Gospel Meets Tantrums and Time-Outs” as Want to Read:
For the Love of Discipline: When the Gospel Meets Tantrums and Time-Outs

For the Love of Discipline: When the Gospel Meets Tantrums and Time-Outs

Biblical discipline is holistic; its ultimate goal is a child’s growth in the Lord. Written by a mom on the front lines, For the Love of Discipline works through typical discipline issues from a gospel perspective, offering personal examples, teaching practical strategies, and showing how to pursue “discipline skills” every day. Moms will stop spinning their wheels in ...more
Published April 2018 by P & R Publishing

To ask other readers questions about For the Love of Discipline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For the Love of Discipline

Start your review of For the Love of Discipline: When the Gospel Meets Tantrums and Time-Outs
Calvinist Batman
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Not only did I really enjoy this book, it was quite helpful in both reminding me what the point of discipline is and also some practical ways to implement it without putting my kids in a box.

I’ve noticed a change in my discipline style since reading this book. I’m going to try to read this every couple of years.
Tyler Eason
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While primarily geared to moms, this book was so beneficial to me as a parent. She gives such a solid, biblical foundation for discipline, then practical support and helps on applying those undergirding truths. She frequently roots discipline in the gospel both for its motivation and its fruit.
Paris Byrum
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For the Love of Discipline is for mamas who want to learn and follow God’s prescription for discipline. It starts off being thought provoking, having you measure yourself against a Holy God, and helping you realize that you need Him to faithfully raise your children. By being in His word and through prayer, Sara reminds us, this is where you will gain the strength and wisdom to raise them up. Throughout this book there is grace, love and gospel centered reminders of the need to faithfully ...more
Rosanne Lortz
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is full of Biblical wisdom and practical advice for how to parent in a Gospel-centered, loving, consistent, and effective manner. As the mother of five boys ages seven and under, Sara Wallace understands the necessity of planning your parenting instead of just flying by the seat of your pants. I loved how this book contained both Biblical groundwork for discipling our children's hearts as well as helpful tools for how to do that (e.g. chart out your kids' daily routine and then note ...more
Ashley Bowman
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is absolutely my favorite parenting book ever~ I love the practical (say this, don't say this) counsel with a direct focus on the eternal aspect of parenting. This will be one book I share over and over with friends and family.

Great job, Sara!
Rebecca Mandrillo
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: improvement, 5-stars, 2018
For The Love of Discipline is a wonderful little book! I was blessed to receive an advance copy and loved every bit of it.
It has encouraged me tremendously. Throughout the day I remember various bits of wisdom from my reading and it helps me to stay focused on gospel centered discipline.
This book is broken into two main parts. The why and the how. Both are helpful. We all need to know and remember the why of teaching our children. Sara Wallace does a good job of explaining and guiding us in
Stephanie
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very good book. I really appreciated the first part of the book where she fleshes our the reason for discipline and the fruit we are working toward in discipline. Mainly the teaching focuses on honoring authority.

The second part was more practical and with all practical things it depends who the writer is and the audience she is trying to reach. Sara is a homeschool Mom and her oldest is maybe 10? That has a different target audience than say a private school mom with teenagers.

It is
Anna
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended for: parents of small to medium children

Length: actually quite short, so definitely manageable even if you’re busy

I found this book really helpful, and I think all youngish parents could benefit from it. Sara Wallace presents a gospel-saturated view of parenting and discipline. She presents our calling as parents as a reflection of God’s relationship with us; we are to treat our children with the same love and compassion God shows us, using our authority over them for their good, and
Elizabeth
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mom, own, parenting
"For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it" (Hebrews 12:11, ESV).

Discipline. Does that word carry a positive or negative connotation for you? What is "discipline"? What does it look like in the context of parenting? Should one do it? If so, when and why? Does discipline differ from punishment? If so, how? Perhaps few subjects carry the weight of this one, with a diversity of
Jo
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like Sara Wallace's dual approach in this book of valuing the heart/attitude of our children but also modelling practical strategies for dealing with various behaviors. The goal is never to simply make children behave the way we want them to, but to explain how their behaviors and our reactions to them relate to God and His plan for them.

Wallace writes with a lot of clarity and explains difficult concepts well. I also appreciated the questions at the end of each chapter that encouraged
Michelle Kidwell
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing

For the Love of Discipline
When the Gospel Meets Tantrums and Time-Outs
by Sara Wallace

P & R Publishing

Christian , Parenting & Families
Pub Date 30 Apr 2018

I am reviewing a copy of For the Love of Discipline through P&R Publishing and Netgalley:

This book reminds readers Discipline is not something we do to our kids but something we do for them. Discipline is a lifestyle. Readers. also learned it is not an optional, and it's not a quick fix.

Readers learn to that Discipline is not
Amy
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a mom who’s kids range from Kindergarten to High School, I was anxious to see how this book would help me as I have been parenting for a while and I can say this book was so applicable to me right where I am at. Sara writes in a way that is easy and clear and centered on training our children to see and enjoy Jesus whether through correction or instruction. I loved the chapter talking about the fear of God and the importance of helping our kids not merely respect Him - as that can come from ...more
Amy Langmaack
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, netgalley, 2018
This book could not have come at a better time for me. I had just endured a toddler tantrum and was settling into bed as I read the chapters that talked about how to deal with toddler tantrums!

One of the things I appreciated most about this book was that Wallace did not try to tell us how to parent. She shares how she disciplines her children, and why she does things the way she does. But it's never a prescriptive telling of what you must do in order to have well-behaved children.

This book is
Annette
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is motivating, encouraging and practical, yet has a theological backbone. It is a great read for any mum who is in the midst of raising children. Although there are other great books out there which discuss the theological principles of parenting, this is the first book I have come across which compliments principles with plenty of practical examples. The examples Sara gives are specific enough to be helpful, yet general enough to apply to a range of families and personalities.
As a
Kristin Coulson
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has been a breath of fresh air for me! It’s so easy to get caught up in the actions of our kids and to forget about the gospel being placed on their hearts. Many Christian parenting books are lacking on the day to day examples of sharing the gospel with your kids and what it looks like practically, but Sara beautifully invites you into her home and shares what this has looked like in her family. This book has richly pointed me to the gospel and how to share it with my kids ...more
Lauren K
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has seriously changed the way I view discipline. Sara speaks from the heart and her own (sometimes hilarious) experiences to encourage and retrain how we think about training up our children. It's such an easy read, I couldn't put it down! I was literally texting my friends to "buy this book now!" I'm so thankful for her taking the time out of raising 5 little men to write this for us moms in the trenches with her.
*I was given an advance copy of this book to provide an honest review*
Monica Buescher
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! Can’t say enough good things about it. Perfect blend of the heart/theory behind our discipline relationship with our kids as well as solid, practical application. The reflection questions were so useful and her own examples gave me great ideas I’d love to implement. I haven’t highlighted and tabbed a book so much in a long time. :) Excited to read and discuss it with my husband; this will definitely impact and benefit our parenting right out the gate!
Liza Tabita
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An eye opener!!! I never saw discipline as a blessing, but as a need “pain” to grow close to God! The author does not offer “ingredients” of a well done discipline, but a guide to use your authority in a godly way! For all parents that are exhausted after each day of a fail discipline, there is hope, even in our failures!
Autumn Klepper
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an *awesome* resource. So helpful!!! Wish I’d had this when my kids were smaller.

In this book, gospel theology and practicality meet! The author shares so many helpful tools and strategies that are rooted in the gospel - pointing kids to Jesus. There are plenty of examples and scenarios given, which is helpful/practical. I really loved this book, and will revisit it.
Lorraine
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sara Wallace is the writer behind The Gospel Centered Mom blog. She often shares advice on Biblical discipline from her own experience. Her new book sums up her philosophy on discipline and effectively delivers practical ways to establish it in your home. Sara opens with her definition of discipline, "Discipline is not something we do to our kids, but something we do for them." The first section of the book goes on to study what Biblical discipline looks like and the second half offers practical ...more
R.j.
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books-read
I really enjoyed Sara Wallace's earlier, devotional-style book "The Gospel-Centered Mom". I jumped when I had a chance to read this. While I do not lean towards a Reformed theology, like the author, I still found much to be learned from this book. I read it quickly for a overview, and found many things I need to re-read.
Sara Fukuda
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Underlined nearly everything in this book. It’s so good. Everything in it is fantastic. Practical, helpful. One of the few parenting books I’ve read that has helpful things about discipline and teaching for mamas of toddlers!
Seriously my favorite parenting book.
Melissa Henderson
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is a difference between "punishment" and "discipline". In this informative book, the author shows how to give love and concern while teaching consequences for wrong behavior. Emotions, life events, conversations and much more play a role in our reactions to each other. This book includes questions and Biblical references to consider when handling behavior issues. Great book for parents and grandparents. I received a copy of this book from the publisher and this is my personal honest ...more
Stephie
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book. Practical solutions for real life problems. I never felt preached to or shamed. I've been incorporating ACT into our lives and it has been helping so much. Sara Wallace is an inspiration, and definitely the kind of friend you want.
Emily
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is underlining and highlighting all throughout this book because the author’s advice and wisdom is so helpful and relevant. I will be referencing this book again. And I will be recommending it to all of my parent friends.
Nicole Christian
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book full of both theological and practical wisdom for parents. It's simple and funny, yet deep and challenging at the same time. She does a great job of "coming alongside" moms with biblical encouragement and exhortation.
Kara
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In my experience, it is very rare for a parenting book to be theologically-sound, gospel-centered, and practical... but this book is. I gleaned a lot of great ideas from this book that I have already started implementing with my children. I highly recommend this book.
Adrienne
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent; I've been inspired and challenged a lot! I've just finished reading it but am going to start re-reading it again today with my husband. There are a lot of principles and tools I want us to implement in our family. I highly recommend it!
Arnold Rogers-Beckley
4.5! Rereading so I can practice

Great short parenting book. I took .5 off only because I wanted even more practice tools. Rereading so I can properly apply what I've learned.
Brooke Frymire
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best book I’ve read on discipline.

• In His Image: 10 Ways God Calls Us to Reflect His Character
  • Risen Motherhood: Gospel Hope for Everyday Moments
  • The Gospel Comes with a House Key
  • You Who? Why You Matter and How to Deal With It
  • Adorning the Dark: Thoughts on Community, Calling, and the Mystery of Making
  • Humble Roots: How Humility Grounds and Nourishes Your Soul
  • Something Needs to Change: A Call to Make Your Life Count in a World of Urgent Need
  • Parenting: 14 Gospel Principles That Can Radically Change Your Family
  • Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds
  • Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches
  • None Like Him: 10 Ways God Is Different from Us (and Why That's a Good Thing)
  • Parenting with Loving Correction: Practical Help for Raising Young Children
  • Disruptive Witness
  • Teaching from Rest: A Homeschooler's Guide to Unshakable Peace
  • Irresistible Faith: Becoming the Kind of Christian the World Can't Resist
  • Lies Women Believe: And the Truth that Sets Them Free
  • The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert: An English Professor's Journey Into Christian Faith
  • Shepherding a Child's Heart
Sara Wallace is author of the Bible study The Gospel-Centered Mom and has written articles for the Gospel Coalition and RELEVANT magazine. She and her husband have five sons.
“Sin is always a battle worth fighting.” 0 likes
“It was a good reminder for me that the rewards I give my kids are only placeholders for an appreciation of eternal, spiritual rewards.” 0 likes