Start by marking “The Divinity Bureau” as Want to Read:
The Divinity Bureau

The Divinity Bureau

The world is overpopulated.

As resources dwindle and pollution throws the world in chaos, it's up to a government agency known as The Divinity Bureau to decide who lives and who dies.

However, when IT Technician Roman Irvine sees a nineteen-year-old girl sentenced to die, he can't help but wonder if there's more than what meets the eye.

When April meets Roman, she immediately
Kindle Edition
Published September 21st 2017 by Asset Creative House (first published June 16th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Divinity Bureau, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Divinity Bureau

1984 by George OrwellThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsBrave New World by Aldous HuxleyFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Dystopia!
997 books — 2,546 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsI'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally CarterTwilight by Stephenie MeyerHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
Best Teen Girl Books
1,537 books — 2,217 voters

More lists with this book...

Candace Robinson
I haven't read a good dystopian book in a while, so I was ready to read this one after I read the summary! It's told in dual perspective between Roman and April, and I actually loved both characters and the chemistry between them was perfection! I was surprised that I read it as quick as I did because I normally read dystopian pretty slow! The book was totally addicting with plenty of feels, and I need book two ASAP!
☆Dani☆ ☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆
I give The Divinity Bureau by Tessa Clare 5 out 5 of Romantic Dystopian Stars! Wow, what a book! I haven’t read a dystopian novel in a while and after reading this story I will be sure to pick up more for sure. Even though this was a bit of a slow read in the beginning, I was captivated from Chapter One!😄 I fell in love with the characters and loved seeing April and Roman’s romance unfold.

I highly enjoyed how this story was told from a dual perspective and how the plot was nice and solid. The in
Dianne
An unlikely love story in a dystopian world where THE DIVINITY BUREAU decides who shall live and who shall die. Once again, corruption in government has taken world overpopulation, under production and deadly pollution and turned it to its own advantage by selecting who can “live forever” and who has been elected to die. Meanwhile, the population blindly assumes everything is for their own good until a group of activists begin to create a groundswell of rebellion.

Roman works for the Divinity Bur
Lanette Rodgers
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In short, this book was an incredible read. If only life hadn't gotten in the way, I could've had this guy read in a few days!

The first thing I must comment on is Tessa Clare's world building. In a dystopian novel, (my favorite kind of novel mind you so I am very picky!) I am such a stickler for good world building. It has to make sense as to why the world is the way it is and it has to be believable. The world of The Divinity Bureau was all that and more! Tessa Clare went into lots of detail a
Tessa Clare
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
The Divinity Bureau is here! It's been a long time coming and I hope you guys enjoy :)
Brandon Adleman
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
*Spoiler free*

I usually don't read anything that has a futuristic setting; so for me I could tell that this was instantly going to be a different journey than usual. I typically find myself pulled to sword and sorcery or horror, so I found myself a little hesitant when it came to meeting the characters.

Roman - an IT major in college who works for the Divinity Bureau: a government entity that determines who lives and who dies based on the ability to afford immortality. Although Roman works for th
☾ Liz ☆ Stellar Kitten Book Reviews ☆
This book honestly put me in such a good reading mood. I loved it <3 I loved the concept, the romance, the conspiracy, the characters! Full review to come! <3

Full review on Stellar Kitten Book Reviews:

description

❝ If you can afford immortality and you choose to opt for it, it comes at a cost: you will be put on this list. And if your name is selected, you will die by lethal injection. Fortunately, with millions of people on the list, your odds of being selected are low--at least, until fate catches
Katherine Paschal
**Reviews can be found at https://smadasbooksmack.blogspot.com/ **
I think the description included in the synopsis for The Divinity Bureau of "Hunger Games meets Romeo and Juliet" was pretty spot on, with the world split into have nots vs the haves, as well as the almost impossible love between the two main characters (except not painful like Romeo and Juliet, because I really hate that play!). There was some hard world stuff, including death and poverty, but there was also hope and suspense tha
Renata
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Note: You can find this review and more on my blog: https://rabooklover.wixsite.com/blog/...

The Divinity Bureau is a dystopian novel written by Tessa Clare, placed in a world where people have to die in order for more people to live. This is Tessa's debut novel, the idea was born during a hard time for her, so in a way, it's a very personal book. Because of this, it's a book that shows hope, pain, frustration, and desperation.The story is about two teenagers, Roman and April, whose lives could n
Jessica Bronder
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The world is over populated and has limited resources for the populous. The Divinity Bureau has stepped up to take care of this situation by creating a random selection method to start thinning the herd or killing people. Of course people believe that this is all for the best until a rebel group starts pointing out that it’s convenient that a select group is never chosen from for this lottery.

Enter Roman Irvine, a technician at The Divinity Bureau. All he does is stare at a computer screen full
JK
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I live for dystopian novels tinged with corruption, and was delighted when Clare asked me to read and review this. The world has discovered how to achieve immortality, and this has a crippling effect on the government’s ability to provide for its citizens. To combat the problem, the government runs a deadly ballot each quarter to determine which of its people should present themselves for lethal injection. If you think this sounds absolutely mental, you’re right.

Clare uses a dual narrative techn
Jill
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-books
The Divinity Bureau sets the stage for government conspiracy and corruption while successfully weaving in a romance for the ages in this new young adult, dystopian novel by debut author, Tessa Clare. In a world of overpopulation the United States, South America and Canada have been divided into colonies. Within these colonies the government holds the control to randomly select who lives and who dies every quarter. But, when 19-year-old April McIntyre’s name is selected Bureau IT employee, Roman ...more
Bree Howland
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I received this book in exchange for an honest review from the author

I got caught up in the dystopian craze along with everyone else some years ago when every second book published was dystopian. I couldn't get enough of them. But it wasn't long before I was all dystopian-ed out. Reading the synopsis for this novel, I was slightly worried that I would feel the same blah feeling that I normally get.

I didn't.

It was really the Romeo and Juliet aspect that kept me going. Star-crossed lovers are exac
KatieLMae
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in the future, North America is ravaged by overpopulation due to a discovery that allows people to opt into becoming immortal. In an effort to control population The Divinity Bureau has enacted a lottery that chooses from a pool of those who have opted into immortality, and then those elected are executed. Roman works for the Bureau and when he finds something odd on an election report that leads him to April he changes not only her life but his as well.

Though I admit at times I was a littl
Ruby
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
“I get it: 350 million is a lot, and more than our world can sustain. But I just had this thought that maybe if we all had good intentions – if we all decided that we wanted to leave the world a little better than before – it can be our greatest strength instead of our greatest weakness.”

2/5 Stars

WARNING WARNING LONG WINDED REVIEW AHEAD! (Sorry, I just have a lot of thoughts!) SKIP TO THE TLDR AT THE END IF YOU DON’T WANT TO READ THE WHOLE THING!

So. I just finished the Divinity Bureau, a book I
Tina Williams
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super Dystopian Romance
The Divinity Bureau is a page-turning New Adult read, full of danger, suspense and romance. It has a thought provoking plot, with well-rounded and believable characters, which kept my interest throughout.
In the novel science has found a way to render the lucky few who can afford it immortal. The ensuing overpopulation has resulted in an environmental and economic catastrophe where there are huge divisions in society. To manage the population the government has set up the
Mel (abookishmel)
~I received an ARC in PDF form from the author via Instagram in exchange for an honest review. This in no way impacts my thoughts~

THE DIVINITY BUREAU is a debut novel from author Tessa Clare. It is a dystopian novel set in futuristic USA. It has kind of a Hunger Games feel to it in that the nation is divided up into Districts, like in THE HUNGER GAMES, but that’s where the similarities end.
The story focuses on two main characters: Roman Irvine, an employee of the Divinity Bureau. He is employed
Joana Bookneeders
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*Received this copy from the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you very much! This doesn’t affect the review in any way. My opinions are, as always, my own.*

4.5stars
This was so addicting! You guys have no idea... Even working, I caught myself trying to read it, which yeah, I shouldn't. But the lunch hour passed so fast, and I wanted to continue! Ahh, I really liked this!

So, this book talks about a world suffering from overpopulation, due to BIONs that make you immortal. The Divinity
Read It & Weep Girls
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very recently, Kyleigh and I had a conversation during which we lamented the lack of dystopian books lately. YA Fantasy has taken publishing by a storm (and believe me, I am not complaining. Fantasy—and romance—are my two loves) and the YA dystopian trend seems to have faded into the background, leaving the two of us craving the life-or-death stakes the genre holds.

If, like Kyleigh and me, you are in need of a dystopian book to bring back that love for you, I present to you The Divinity Bureau b
Miss Kristine
Book review originally posted on my blog at misskristinesreviews.com

Thoughts:

I started reading The Divinity Bureau on a long car trip and was HOOKED. Four hours into the ride I forced myself to set it down because I didn't want the story to end. (Aaaand later that week, I finished it in one sitting.)

THIS WAS SUCH A GOOD BOOK!

Dystopian world. Forbidden love. Real characters.

All these things intermingled, and wonderfully written, created a fantastic book!

I'm usually not a huge "the government is c
Alexa
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot of this book felt a lot looser than most dystopians because the characters don’t start out with a goal of taking down the government, searching out the resistance, surviving the Hunger Games, or anything like that. They start out just living. Strolling about their normal lives, then encountering certain, seemingly small situations that cause them to make certain seemingly small decisions, which lead them to the point of the ultimate decisions where they have to decide whose side they’re ...more
Mark Schultz
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book tremendously! A dystopian romance with a dose of tech is fun to read! I promise no spoilers, but this time it is hard to keep my promise. You are going to enjoy the developing relationship of April and Roman as they seek answers and find far more than they want.
I really like the structure of this book, mostly written in first person POV, Roman and April have alternating chapters; providing intimate access to the motivations and thoughts of each. There is a good balance of act
Lauren - SERIESous Books
**I received a copy of this book from YA Bound Book Tours in exchange for an honest voluntary review. All opinions are my own and not influenced by my source.**

I'm always up for a good dystopian read and this one sounded very cool. I loved the premise of an overpopulated world and a forbidden romance totally had me on board.

But I think I was expecting a different story than the one we got.

I had a very hard time getting into this as it started off a little slow. The flow of the writing is a littl
Amber
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was sent The Divinity Bureau by the author in exchange for an honest review.

This has such a fun concept that I was really intrigued by it and thought would be a fast paced read. Which it was. I had a fun time reading this and never had a moment where I felt like putting it aside. I do plan on continuing with the next book to see what happens but I did have some issues with the characters. Specifically April. Her personality just seemed a little all over the place. Some moments I would like her
Bailey Ember
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian
For me, nailing the Dystopian world is key to having a great Dystopian novel. There are so many books out there right now in the genre, that you really have to have a book stand out among others. Tessa Clare manages to do that with The Divinity Bureau.

I found that this book was enjoyable and action packed from the get-go. We are given a novel that does not unravel predictably and will keep the reader guessing and enjoying the ride the whole way through. The story itself was engaging, you get cau
Samantha Turley
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story itself was engaging and read very much like a movie to me. You get introduced to a whole new world and new characters in the beginning.
The romance and forbidden aspect of the novel was well portrayed. I am a fan of that particular scenario, and while it can become repetitive, I think Tessa Clare gave us just enough of a uniqueness.
The government / politics part of the story is one I wasn’t 100% about in the beginning, just because I’m not a government/politics person, but I think Tessa
Sarai Henderson
This book was awesome! I was enthralled from the beginning to the end. It had a unique concept. The characters are great and easy to relate to, even the world was full of life. I can't wait to pick up the next book and see what Ms. Clare has in store for me next.
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
The Bureau controls who lives and who dies in a world where overpopulation is a problem due to a technology called BIONs, which when put into your body renders you immortal. Roman has worked for The Divinity Bureau for two years in IT support, which although he doesn’t think it’s the best job he could get with his Master’s degree, it pays the bills. Until he meets April McIntyre, a feisty nineteen year old who’s name has ended up on the ‘election’ list for those who are scheduled to die, just a ...more
Angela (Pooled Ink Reviews)
pooled ink Reviews:
3.5 Stars

A dystopian society that brings together an overlooked computer geek and a powerful politician's daughter, not only with romance bloom but conspiracies will start to bleed. Filled with action, twists, betrayal, and a world suffering from the costs of greed and immortality, The Divinity Bureau is an exciting hook into a future far too familiar.

Although it starts a bit slow for me the story takes you on several twists and turns, balancing conspiracy with romance, so i
Darque  Dreamer
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Divinity Bureau is a hard hitting, dystopian romance. It has danger, passion, and betrayal. Be prepared for a fascinating ride with unpredictable twists and turns.

This one was an interesting read for me. It started off a little slow, with a bit too much world information, but slowly picked up and hooked me. It was a little more YA romance/plot driven than I am used to, but it was enjoyable. It had some predictable moments, and some entertaining, unpredictable moments. For a debut novel, I th
« previous 1 3 next »
“When you have nothing left, you don’t have anything to lose.” 2 likes
“I think there’s a point in everyone’s life where they realize that despite their best efforts, they have no choice but to surrender. That carrying on will only bring them more pain or heartache. I don’t think there’s any way that we can avoid these moments. But I just want you to know that I’m not quite there yet.” 1 likes