Jump to ratings and reviews

Sex, Not Love

Goodreads Choice Award
Nominee for Best Romance (2018)
My relationship with Hunter Delucia started backwards.

We met at a wedding—him sitting on the groom’s side, me sitting on the bride’s. Stealing glances at each other throughout the night, there was no denying an intense, mutual attraction.

I caught the bouquet; he caught the garter. Hunter held me tightly while we danced and suggested we explore the chemistry sparking between us. His blunt, dirty mouth should’ve turned me off. But for some crazy reason, it had the opposite effect on me.

We ended up back in my hotel room. The next morning, I headed home to New York leaving him behind in California with the wrong number.

I thought about him often, but after my last relationship, I’d sworn off of charming, cocky, gorgeous-as-sin men. A year later, Hunter and I met again at the birth of our friends’ baby. Our attraction hadn't dulled one bit. After a whirlwind trip, he demanded a real phone number this time. So I left him with my mother’s—she could scare away any man with her talks of babies and marriage—and flew back home.

I’d thought it was funny, until the following week when he rang the bell at Mom’s house for Sunday night dinner. The crazy, gorgeous man had won over my mother and taken an eight-week assignment in my city. He proposed we spend that time screwing each other out of our systems.

Eight weeks of mind-blowing sex with no strings attached? What did I have to lose?

Nothing, I thought.
It’s just sex, not love.
But you know what they say about the best laid plans…

From #1 New York Times Bestseller Vi Keeland, comes a new, sexy standalone novel.

300 pages, Paperback

First published January 15, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Vi Keeland

99 books30.4k followers
Vi Keeland is a #1 New York Times, #1 Wall Street Journal, and USA Today Bestselling author. With millions of books sold, her titles have appeared in over one hundred Bestseller lists and are currently translated in twenty-six languages. She resides in New York with her husband and their three children where she is living out her own happily ever after with the boy she met at age six.

Stop by and meet Vi in her private reader group on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/groups/ViKee...

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
903 (3%)
1 star
275 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 2,494 reviews
Profile Image for Vi Keeland.
Author 99 books30.4k followers
January 14, 2018
Profile Image for SueBee★bring me an alpha!★.
2,417 reviews13.8k followers
Want to read
January 15, 2018
LIVE! | AMZ US | AMZ UK | B&N | KOBO | iBOOKS |

CAN YOU SCREW A DIRTY-TALKER OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM?

Stand-alone.
LIVE! | AMZ US | AMZ UK | B&N | KOBO | iBOOKS |
Blurb:
My relationship with Hunter Delucia started backwards.
Nothing, I thought.
It’s just sex, not love.
But you know what they say about the best laid plans…
Profile Image for Alex ♈.
1,568 reviews1,138 followers
December 13, 2018

UNPOPULAR OPINION + SPOILERS

My dearest friend Leonor mentioned some points I didn't.
Leonor's review
Profile Image for Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog.
1,260 reviews9,894 followers
January 13, 2018
*****4.5 STARS*****
{ARC Generously Provided by Author}

I used to think Hunter Delucia had stolen a piece of my heart. But I was wrong. Because eventually, even the heart stops beating. This man stole a piece of my soul—because the soul lives forever, and so will my love for this beautiful man.

SEX, NOT LOVE, the latest by Vi Keeland, has yet another absolutely perfect book boyfriend who is sure to steal your hearts. Hunter Delucia has that signature brand of cockiness and charm that Keeland continuously delivers in her stories. The story deals with some pretty heavy subject matter and there are a lot of heartbreaking moments to endure. This was not a romantic comedy but still as fabulous as the author’s previously published books.

Hunter and Natalia are two people who have a phobia of commitment. They each have something in their past that has them holding back from giving themselves completely to another person. They meet at their best friend’s wedding where Hunter is the best man and Natalia is the maid of honor. From the start, these two have insane chemistry and the flirtatious sexual banter between them, which is mostly coming from Hunter, heightens the anticipation for the couple to connect. But theirs isn’t a quick and easy path to hot and steamy sexual gratification and ultimately love. Hunter lives in California and Natalia resides in NYC. Also, Natalia is putting up all of her defenses because she refuses to let another beautiful man wreck her heart, and she knows going down this road with Hunter is guaranteed heartbreak for her.

Hunter is a very determined man. He always gets what he wants and Natalia’s repeated rejection only helps to motivate Hunter to up his game. When the walls eventually come down, the passion they create is like nothing they’ve ever experienced before. The problem is while they agreed that what they had was exclusive but strictly for fun when the time comes to end things, Natalia’s heart has been invested while Hunter wants to stick to the agreement.

All of his actions are telling a different story. It’s clear that Natalia has stolen his heart but for some reason, he’s unwilling to give their love a chance. The past is holding him prisoner and has stolen his ability to hope.

Will Hunter be able to let Natalia go when all is said and done?

Here are my overall ratings on the book:

Heroes: 5
Heroine: 4
Plot: 5
Angst: 4.5
Steam: 5
Chemistry Between Hero & Heroine: 5

SEX, NOT LOVE releases on January 15th!!! Get those one-click trigger fingers ready!

iBooks ➜ http://smarturl.it/vlfabb
Barnes & Noble ➜ http://smarturl.it/hivkor
Kobo ➜ http://smarturl.it/9bxfwx
Google Play ➜ http://smarturl.it/19muiq
Amazon Print ➜ http://smarturl.it/3u10n0
Audible ➜ http://smarturl.it/qbf0bs

photo 17631979_zpsogt4rrvf.png
Profile Image for Dilek VT.
1,529 reviews1,337 followers
Shelved as 'dnf'
January 29, 2018
It is too frustrating for me. DNF at %20.

Up until page 215 0f a 255-page book, all chapters written by the hero are about his past and the girl he loved in the past.

After realising Hunter is telling about his ex-love in his chapters, I checked how far it goes and it goes too long to bear!

Why the hell does a writer do this? Why not summarize what happened with her in a few paragraphs or one or two pages but devote so much of the book to it? So that we feel a connection to his ex? Too bad, I did and I just realised I wanted him to be with his ex!

How does a very experienced writer do this in a romance book? WTH, really?

Killing her own book - that's what I call this!

(P.S. In another book maybe I would read it to see what it serves but this is pure romance and I want to read the romance between the hero and the heroine...)

Profile Image for ❥ KAT ❥ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books.
2,111 reviews7,097 followers
January 12, 2018

5 MR TALL, DARK AND HANDSOME STARS

SEX, NOT LOVE: Is a new standalone sexy contemporary romance novel by Vi Keeland. In this we meet Nat who is a divorced twenty eight year old behavioural therapist with full custody of her fifteen year old step daughter. And Hunter Delucia a twenty nine year old travelling architectectural.

I prefer to live my life looking forward, not backward. You look in the rear view mirror too often, sometimes you miss what's right in front of you.

Attending both of their respective best friends wedding party it's here where Nat (Natalia) meets Hunter Delucia, a cocky, delectable dirty talking sexy bastard. When these two meet the sparks fly off the pages, you can feel the fire heating up it just sizzles off the pages and you can’t help but get caught up in their inferno. Complete opposites who might kill each other.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

After many countless drinks later Nat ends up spending the night in Hunters hotel room, the next morning he unashamedly begs for her phone number where she knowingly passes off the wrong number.

There is no way I was keeping in touch with a man living three-hundred miles away. A guy like him was the last thing I needed.

Nearly a later they see each other again during the shower party for their respective best friends, to ward him off again this time she gives him her mother's number. I'd given Hunter the number as a joke, thinking he'd take the not so subtle hint. Not to be put off Hunter takes a job in Nat's town for two months and woes her mother off her feet and is welcomed into her home and family.

I'm only in town for two months. We could agree to be not-celibate together-just sex and fun, with an expiration date. We could get lost in each other in the bedroom only. Think about it. Sex, not love.

Sex, not love that's how it all started. But sometimes just sometimes it takes the right woman to come along.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

How could this not be a five star read, I loved this from the get go, it was effortless to fall in lust with these two characters, such a beautiful heartfelt journey that had me zipping through those pages like a woman possessed. Vi Keeland yet again waved her magic wand and brought me a book that I devoured in hours. There is absolutely nothing I would change about this novel. I can’t express enough how much I love this author, the humour she injects into her books is what makes me keep coming back for more

* Teasers used in my review are off the authors facebook page *

Profile Image for Drey.
167 reviews773 followers
December 22, 2020
DNF @ around 60%

I never liked to dnf a book because I know that they have something good in them. But, this one didn't worked for me! Sex, Not Love is the only book I've dnf this month and I hope this will never happen again.

I should have known from the start, when I saw the title that the plot was all about sex ... insert flashbacks.

Hunter and Natalia met at the wedding of their bestfriends. They became attracted to each other instantly. H wanted to have sex with h, but h had trust issues. After 9 months, they met again at h bestfriend's baby shower. H begun to talked again about having sex with her, but h rejected him. After a month, they faced each other again at h mother's house. This time, H made an agreement to have sex with no strings attached. But, h was hesitant until 2 months where she finally gave in to him. Then they fucked again, then I stopped ... I lost interest.

Honestly, I loved all Vi Keeland books (those that I've read). One of my favourite romance book, Cocky Bastard, was written by her. I loved her heroes who are cocky, confident and sexy. If I'm looking for something that could make me laugh, cry and swoon, her books are always my first choice.

Overall, Sex, Not Love for simple words was a great entertainment.

Profile Image for Sophia Triad.
2,239 reviews3,426 followers
April 24, 2018
Natalia and Hunter met during a wedding.
Natalia was sitting at the Bride's side. Hunter was sitting at the groom's side.
Natalia caught the bouquet. Hunter got the garter.
Natalia needed to sleep with someone. Hunter wanted to sleep with Natalia.

“I’m not sleeping with you, you know.”
“Why not? You were gonna sleep with Adam.”
“That’s different.”
“How so?”
“I’ve met Adam before. He’s a nice guy.”
“I’m a nice guy.”
“I don’t know you.”

Well, besides a kiss nothing really happened between them. And they will be three thousands miles away after the wedding.
Natalia is at New York. Hunter is in California.

“Change your flight. We’re not done here.”

Neither Natalia nor Hunter are ready for commitment:
Natalia’s current life is complicated. Her ex-husband is in jail and she really tries hard to reconstruct her life while she takes care of her teenager stepdaughter.
Hunter has spent the last 10 years of his life being miserably scared. He has a secret that we will only learn during the final part of the book and this secret makes any relationship impossible for him.

Still Hunter cannot be apart from Natalia for too long. He will follow her to New York with the excuse that he needs to complete a project there. He will seduce her (not that he has to try really hard) and then he will push her away and then he will be jealous and then he will run after her again.
Soon all the painful truths need to be told.

I think that the two main characters have many layers for a romance novel. I LOVED their complexity. I loved the way that they deal with life and accept its ups and downs. Life was not easy for both of them, but they both will manage to cope.
I especially loved Natalia's character, her gentle giving nature, her empathy, her willingness to sacrifice herself.

She offered so much and wanted nothing in return except me. I wasn’t sure if I deserved it or not, but I was selfish enough to take it.

Highly recommended!
Profile Image for warhawke.
1,272 reviews1,909 followers
January 11, 2018
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Type: Standalone
POV: First Person - Dual
Rating:

Natalia Rossi and Hunter Delucia first met at a wedding of their mutual friends. While both had carnal needs, neither of them wanted anything more than that. But as their short time together quickly coming to an end, things became something more. However secrets from the past could potentially derailed what had been built.

I have read Vi Keeland's books before but they are collaboration works. This was my first of her solo book and I enjoyed it.

“Okay… and we’d spend time together outside of the bedroom, too?”
“Of course. I’ll always make sure you eat before I eat you.”

Hunter was unapologetically sexy and I find that appealing. He got dirty mouth that he could back up with the act.

Today I finally realized why I’d felt that way—because there was someone better out there who was exactly right for me. The only problem was, that someone had just walked out my door, taking the last of my hope with him.

Natalia wanted to take what she desired but her past made her doubted her decisions. She was loyal to her friends and selfless to the people she cared about.

I do like the premise of fuck buddy who turned out to be more, but for such story I do wish there's a little bit more of sexy scenes lol! I like how a secondary character was a factor in their relationship but didn't become the main issue.

Sex, Not Love is a story about a couple exploring the possibilities. It would appeal to readers who like sexy friends (with benefit) to lover story.

💋 🍆 💋 . . . (F)BR With Loyda . . . 💋 🍆 💋

For more reviews/reveals/giveaways visit:

Profile Image for Mali Mor ❤️ The Romantic Blogger.
415 reviews508 followers
April 20, 2020
sex-not-love
"𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐥𝐞 𝐚 𝐩𝐢𝐞𝐜𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐦𝐲 𝐬𝐨𝐮𝐥 – 𝐛𝐞𝐜𝐚𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐨𝐮𝐥 𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐨 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐦𝐲 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐢𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐦𝐚𝐧."

LOVED THIS BOOK!

▪️▫️▪️▫️▪️▫️▪️▫️▪️▫️▪️▫️▪️▫️▪️▫️

📖 ᖴOᒪᒪOᗯ ᗰE Oᑎ IᑎᔕTᗩGᖇᗩᗰ: 🎉 https://www.instagram.com/the_romanti...

📖 ᐯIᔕIT ᗰY ᗷᒪOG ᖴOᖇ ᗰOᖇE ᖇEᐯIEᗯᔕ: https://books-romance.com/
Profile Image for MELISSA *Mel Reader*.
1,322 reviews1,388 followers
January 10, 2018
5 She’s My One Stars!

-“You look in the rearview mirror too often, sometimes you miss what’s right in front of you.”

photo IMG_4470_zpsbk88qg4n.jpg

Natalia Rossi is s gorgeous 28 yr. old divorced Italian woman living in New York. She dates, but doesn’t really put herself out there since men only ever let her down. She’s happy with her job as a behavioral therapist, & has a close family, and great friends. When her best friend Anna is getting married, she heads to California for the wedding. She’s introduced to the grooms best friend, Hunter Delucia, and sparks fly. Hunter lives in LA, and is a commercial builder who has a degree in architectural engineering. They share an instant crazy attraction. Hunter is sexy, confident, charming, and extremely blunt with his dirty mouth. He doesn’t hide how much he wants Natalia, and is very direct about wanting to explore their insane chemistry. Not ready to let anyone in, Nat shares some fun, flirty banter and a few hot as hell kisses with this delicious man, and then boards a plane, and returns to her life in New York.

photo IMG_4483_zps0dde5psy.jpg

Not one to give up, Hunter is persistent, and chases after Natalia for almost a year trying to wear her down. He still wants her desperately & when he takes a two month assignment in her city they cross paths again. He works hard to remind her of the fire between them when they touch, and to sell her on the no strings mutually beneficial fun they could have together. Just sex, no love, & an expiration date. Sounds perfect until feelings develop. Can they walk away once the heart becomes involved?

photo IMG_4492_zpshhkikgzd.jpg

-“I think you stole a piece of my heart the first night we met.”

-I was utterly and completely lost in this man.

photo IMG_4502_zps5f4jnzcc.jpg

I adored everything about this book! It reminded me why I enjoy reading a story by Vi Keeland. She creates men that make me swoon & smile like crazy while reading. This book had so much humor, was super sexy, & has a man you will absolutely fall in love with. Hunter Delucia totally stole my heart!

photo 23131972._SX540__zpsqorggjpy.jpg
Profile Image for NMmomof4.
1,478 reviews3,481 followers
3.5 Stars

Overall Opinion: This was a cute, sexy story. I think I had those darn expectations get me again, because I was expecting more 🤷🏻‍♀️. I don't have any major complaints, so I didnt dislike it -- I just didn't love it like I was hoping I would. I think I wanted more time with them interacting as an actual couple. We have what felt like majority of the story with one or the other pushing away, and then we have sexy times...I guess I wanted more of when things were working well. Instead, it felt like we got comments made in past tense like how they spent all this time together or with Izzy instead of giving us the experience of these things happening. I think experiencing some of those moments would've contributed a lot to feeling their connection.

Brief Summary of the Storyline: This is Natalia and Hunter's story. They meet at their best friend's wedding. Neither of them are interested in a relationship but are drawn to one another. After a few run-ins, some pushing away, and about a year later, they decide to have a "sex, not love" relationship for the 2 months that Hunter is in NY for a job before returning to CA. Feelings start to develop, sexy times commence, and some big secrets are revealed...and they get a HEA ending.

POV: This alternated between Natalia and Hunter's POV. There are some flashback scenes for Hunter, but I thought the author handled incorporating them in well.

Overall Pace of Story: Good. The ending felt a little abrupt, but otherwise I never skimmed and I thought it flowed well.

Instalove: No. Instalust? Yes.

H rating: 4 stars. Hunter. I liked him. He was persistent, sexy, and sweet. I didn't like his behavior at one point, but I understood it -- so I got over it 😉

h rating: 4 stars. Natalia. I liked her. I appreciated how she cared for Izzy, and how she dealt with the H's big secret.

Sadness level: Low, no tissues needed

Push/Pull: Yes

Heat level: Good. They have some good tension, chemistry, and scenes -- but not so much it takes away from the story.

Descriptive sex: Yes

OW/OM drama: Mild

Sex scene with OW or OM: No

Cheating: No

Separation: Yes

Possible Triggers: Yes **WARNING -- BIG SPOILERS HERE**

Closure: This had alright closure with what I would call a HEA. I still wanted more though! I really wanted a further glimpse of them experiencing their HEA! I know, it's probably me being greedy again.

Safety: This one should be Safe for most safety gang readers
Profile Image for Whitney Atkinson.
902 reviews13.7k followers
November 9, 2020
not a lot of sex for a book with the word sex in the title. also mad respect to single mothers but i really couldn't vibe with this book bc the main character is 28 with a 16 year old stepdaughter fully under her care
Profile Image for Angie - Angie's Dreamy Reads.
686 reviews13.5k followers
4.5 "OMG. LOVE." Stars!

Opening a new Vi Keeland book is one of my most favorite things about being a romance reader. There’s just something electric about the way she tells a story. It’s addictive, so enticing, you can’t stop yourself from coming back for more. She’s definitely got the magic touch when she develops her unforgettable characters, a kind that sinks it’s claws inside you and stays put. I really think, out of all my favorite authors, she gives the most consistently solid books. You know you'll never get anything less than her best and it shows, not only in the exemplary quality of her novels, but also in her loyal following (readers like me) who frantically wait and seek out her next releases. She is THAT good. So, it's safe to say that I am a HUGE Vi Keeland addict and my love for her, as impossible as it may seem, grew, became crazier, with her latest release Sex, Not Love.

Sex, Not Love is a contemporary romance standalone that sizzles with witty banter and steamy sex, but also delves deep into heartbreak and gut-wrenching emotion. It was actually angstier than I was anticipating and a lot darker too. This book doesn’t shy away from hard topics and man, did I cry! LOL. A LOT. When we meet Hunter and Nat, they’re at a wedding for their best friends. Both are kind of smitten with each other and definitely have a natural chemistry. It's one of the first things you feel in this book. The natural dialogue and the thick, decadent tension between Nat and Hunter is intoxicating. You immediately fall in love with them and want them to go all in. But Nat, as hot as she thinks Hunter is, is less than impressed with his abrasive and in your face cockiness (and holy shit is he cocky). Hunter on the other hand wants Nat in his bed! And when he wants something, he does not relent, which led to a seductive game of cat and mouse between our hero and heroine.

Both Hunter and Natalia have a lot of emotional baggage. And that turmoil gives this yummy, sweet romance a heart-wrenching kick! For me it made my empathy meter scream. You honestly can't stop yourself from feeling, from falling in love with these characters, which obviously leads you to root for them, as they slowly begin to battle some inner demons.

Overall, Vi Keeland did it again. She brought us a beautiful romance, full of heart-stopping moments that make Sex, Not Love impossible to put down. There is nothing you won't love about this. It's angsty, a little dark with the hard topics it tackles, but it's also tempered with dynamic, funny, and swoony banter and a hardy dose of steamy goodness that really makes this romance come alive. I absolutely loved it and I would more than recommend it.

Thanks to Inkslingers and the author for the ARC*
Profile Image for Anniebananie.
513 reviews383 followers
April 10, 2020
Hach was soll ich sagen? Ich liebe Vi Keeland´s Bücher einfach. Ihr Schreibstil und ihr Humor ist einfach perfekt für dieses Genre. Unsere Protagonisten sind hier wieder etwas älter (Ende 20/Anfang 30) und halleluja sie verhalten sich sogar ihrem Alter entsprechend! Mal eine nette Abwechslung für dieses Genre.
Auch die Themen die hier behandelt wurden waren etwas worüber ich noch nicht gelesen habe und ich fand das toll ausgearbeitet. Die Geschichte bekommen wir hauptsächlich aus Natalia´s Sicht erzählt, aber stellenweise auch aus Hunter´s. Dort erfahren wir anfangs mehr über seine Vergangenheit aus seiner Sicht, was mir ungemein gefallen hat. Auch war er nicht der typische Bad-Boy, was ich durchaus erfrischend fand. Apropos erfrischend: Mann war der Kerl heiß. Die dementsprechenden Szenen mit den beiden übrigens auch, obwohl es davon gar nicht soooo viele gibt in diesem Buch.
Die Beziehung der beiden entwickelt sich auch in einem realistischen Tempo und ich liebe es einfach wie Vi Keeland ihre Charaktere aufeinander treffen lässt.
Ihr merkt: ich habe einfach nichts auszusetzen an diesem Buch :)
Profile Image for Dali.
1,744 reviews433 followers
January 18, 2018
Hot alpha males are a dependable favorite in romance novels and oh boy is Hunter one decadently hot alpha you’ll completely fall in love with!

With Sex, not Love, Vi Keeland authors a charming and touching novel with quick and witty banter, scorching sexy times, and exquisite angst. Oh! And swoon, let’s not forget the swoon. It follows Hunter Delucia, a charismatic and wealthy architect Californian, and Natalia Rossi, a divorcee and behavioral therapist from NY who has sworn off relationships.
I feel in love long before I was willing to accept what it was.

Being part of their respective best friends’ wedding party, Nat and Hunter meet during the wedding’s rehearsal dinner where sparks immediately fly and although it wasn’t her intention, Nat ends up in Hunter’s hotel room. But when he asks her for her phone number she “accidentally” gives him a wrong one. Almost a year later they see each other again at the birth of their friends’ daughter; and when he asks for her digits once more, she gives him her mother’s number.

Hunter is not a man to be trifled with. He takes a job in NY, charms the Rossi women and sneaks his way into Nat’s life. At least for the duration of his project during which time he proposes a no strings attached mutually satisfying fling. But what started as Sex, not Love turns into much more.

I just loved how Hunter pursued Nat in the most relentlessly charming, flirty, and dirty talking way. Even though neither wanted a relationship they were so right for each other that it was evident it was so much more than just sex right from the start. But both characters must confront their past traumas in order to look forward for a future together, at which point the angst ratchets up and I found myself frantically turning pages to get to my promised happy ending.

That last part isn’t actually accurate. I was cheering Hunter and Natalia on right from the start and flipping pages without pause. I fell in love with Hunter immediately. He’s more that sweet and charming, he’s observant, attentive and all around wonderful man and she’s equally caring and generous, but she’s no dupe.

I really enjoyed the way the story was told from both Nat and Hunter’s point of view, it wasn’t exactly alternating but it was well balanced and moved the story forward with seamless flow.

Sex, Not Love by Vi Keeland is a standalone contemporary romance. It’s a sweet, sexy and swoony story that had me hooked and smiling widely from start to finish.

Amazon -> http://amzn.to/2riBbq3

* I was given an ARC of this book courtesy of the author via InkSlinger. The excerpts are from that copy. I am voluntarily reviewing this title. *

Stalk us on FaceBook * Twitter * Pinterest Book Teasers * More reviews
Profile Image for Wendy'sThoughts.
2,632 reviews3,208 followers
November 9, 2018
4.5 Guilty Pleasure: Keeland Stars
* * * * 1/2 Spoiler Free
2018 Best Romance Semifinal Round Nominee
UPDATE:
I have been so fortunate to have read many of these Semifinalists. If this review helps in deciding your voting choice, then I have done my job. Happy Reading
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, I am someone who has a hard time saying no to things that are my Guilty Pleasures...It has to be a really bad piece of Cheesecake for me to turn away...Pushing the Clock and continuing to read extra minutes before going back to work... Absolutely...So you may be noticing a pattern...

A Vi Keeland book... and with a Cover, Blurb, and Title like this... No Brainer... Click-Click I am There.

It had the obvious elements to keep us interested. A man who is confident, sexy as hell and charming too. He would tease and taunt our gal with whispers and low voice comments... always making sure it was welcome. The response banter made both of them seem like the chemistry was right there waiting to spark. There was the push/pull of them being so hot together... yet they had reasons for them not to just get to it...When they finally do... You will be primed and ready...

Our gal was a hard working woman who had much to handle. She was accomplished and professional. She had experienced a horrible situation with her ex-husband and was now the raising parent of a 15-year-old teenage girl. Dealing with trying to make things good for her was the focus.

There is a lot more happening then the main story... there is the concept of broken trust and how does one learn to believe someone again. The stepdaughter has to handle a very difficult situation and she learns her stepmom is there for her and so much more than she realized.

Both of these characters have a full plate of reasons to be how they are...but the need and love which develops cause both to look their fears in the face.

I read this with smiles, out loud giggles and a couple of Face Palms. It had the right level of steam...the right level of heart and depth... and my Guilty Pleasure Quota was satisfied.

~~~~~ Before Reading ~~~~~
He looked at her...
She nodded and gave him a smile...
As their friends' marriage ceremony took place ...
These two agreed the chemistry was right...
And their personal games began...

After, the usual plays happened...
She gave the wrong number...
He chalked it up to a great event...

Then fate and their friends bring them back together again...
This time a real number is given but not her own...
And Surprise, Surprise...
He figures out how to be in her orbit...

Now, these two have convinced themselves...
They can accomplish the impossible...

Yeah, sure it could happen...
They could do it, Have it all...
Having...

Sex, Not Love-January 15th 2018

For more Reviews, Free E-books and Giveaways
Profile Image for deityreads.
627 reviews67 followers
January 15, 2018
I love Hunter ...just not with the heroine 😅 This is the first time that I liked the OW more than the heroine. It’s weird because I usually hate reading about the past love of the hero. But in this case, Summer and Hunter had more chemistry than him and Nat. This would’ve been a 5 star read for me if Nat wasn’t in the picture because the story of Hunter alone was enough to carry this book. I hate to admit it but I just didn’t feel the spark between the h and H. At first, I was enjoying their banters. However, that talk about “sex” just became too much and too drawn out. For something that was supposedly just “sex, not love” they sure did debate about it for almost 20 chapters 😳😳😳 At one point, I got so irritated that I just wanted then to get it over with and not make a big deal about it. Nat was so against it up until Hunter stopped pursuing her.. then she suddenly didn’t want to go on dates with other men anymore 🙄. I think I would’ve gone crazy if the entire book was about this. Weirdly enough, I’m actually thankful for the past POVs about his past love. These chapters that were inserted in between all their “sex” talks were a much-needed breather for me. Overall, it was still a good read and this author is still one of my favorites. I’m just not a fan of the heroine Nat.

3 STARS ⭐️⭐️⭐️

November 2017
How can people give this 1 star when THEY HAVEN’T EVEN READ IT YET?! Ugh!🤦🏻‍♀️😓 I’m not one to fight or judge people here on their taste. I actually hate those kinds of readers who comment rudely when they don’t like your review. You can rate a book however you like BUT PLEASE READ IT FIRST so at least you know what it’s about. 🙄 Or if you don’t like a certain author, then at the very least create a “not interested” shelf or something and not give them a star after shelving them as “read” even though you haven’t read a single word of the book yet. 😡
Profile Image for ✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰ .
2,119 reviews1,176 followers
January 14, 2018

description

Natalia has been pretty badly hurt by her criminal ex-husband. So she's not at all ready for something serious anytime soon. But then she meets Hunter at a friend's wedding in California. But she turns him down every time he opens his sexy, dirty mouth to flirt or proposition her. Even though she's extremely attracted to the gorgeous architect.

And then suddenly, one year later, he's in New York for work and they get along really great. But then those stupid feelings start happening and she just can't do that right now.... or can she? And what about him? Nat's not the only one with fear of getting too serious. Hunter has a secret past too.

WHAT WiLL HAPPEN TO NAT & HUNTER???
WiLL THERE BE A HAPPILY EVER AFTER?
READ THE BOOK TO FIND OUT! ☺

══════════════════════════

Sex, Not Love
- yup. We all know that it starts out like that with so many people. But of course our darlings will fall for each other. And I loved reading every moment of the time it took them to fight for their HEA!

This book was so adorable and funny and so very moving.

I adored Hunter! The way he pursues Nat. Even though he doesn't want anything serious either, due to stuff we don't yet know about!
Just adorable and heartbreaking!

And poor Nat with her stupid ex and all the responsibility that came with that.

I just loved Nat & Hunter and their families and friends.
(Have we read Derek and Anna's story before? 🤔 If not - GIMMEE Vi!)

Amazing Romance! #NuffSaid

SEX, NOT LOVE was such a beautifully adorable & funny & heartbreaking romance! Run to your nearest amazon to get your own Hunter - this one is soooo MINE!

Smokin Hot Book Blog Email
Profile Image for Sabrina.
3,086 reviews1,888 followers
NOW LIVE
Amazon US * Amazon UK

Sex, Not Love was an okay book but I had some issues with it. I liked Hunter and Natalia and their story was pretty interesting. What ruined it for me were all of the distractions that kept popping up.

There were multiple flash backs to Hunter's past and it honestly made no sense to me. When they first started they didn't link to the present, at least not in any way I could see. So they just confused me and I was left wondering why I should care. Even when I finally connected it to the present and realized what was going on, it still didn't make sense. I just didn't feel like it was necessary to go through all of those flashbacks for that reason.

Overall I did enjoy the story and I thought the characters had a nice pace to their relationship. Even with the little parts for me that became annoying they were able to keep me happy with the book.
Profile Image for Catarina.
896 reviews1,930 followers
February 18, 2018
2,5 Stars.

Hunter and Natalia met before during their friend’s wedding and feel immediately attracted to each other. But she gives him a wrong number and they don’t have the chance to meet again until almost a year later, when their friend’s son is born. This time she gives him his mother number but it backfires when he manages to charm her.
It is supposed to be a temporary physical fling. Neither of them wants or is looking for something serious. Unfortunately things are not always that way.

description

Okay, before I start I’m perfectly aware that this is going to be a very unpopular decision, but I guess we can’t win every time.
Let me start by saying I don’t have a problem with playboy heroes, I don’t really care if they had sex with half of the effing women population, that will not make me like the book less. What I don’t like it’s when playboys behave like assholes and manipulate heroines and get away with it because of their troubled past, and because they're hot. Which, unfortunately for me, was the case here. Yes, Hunter had some issues in the past, but at some point that stops being an excuse for you to be an asshole. I mean, Natalie annoyed me at some points, but Hunter didn’t treat her right at all. What’s the point in chasing someone relentlessly if you will willingly leave soon after? I had some trouble connecting with the hero and with them as a couple mostly because of that.

The other problem for me was Hunter’s previous relationship. I don’t love when H/h had previous serious relationships, but it’s not usually a deal breaker for me, especially if the story is good enough. I’ve read a lot of 5 star books with that and I loved them nonetheless… that is not something I look for in romance books. At all.

However, in the end of the day, this is a steamy and very well written romance, so if have no problem with the issues that I had with the book, you’ll very likely enjoy it. So give it a try!

Rating: 2,5 Stars.
Steam: 7 out of 10
Triggers:
Love Triangle:
Cheating:
HEA:
Profile Image for Alba and Her Secrets..♥.
791 reviews999 followers
January 29, 2018
4.5 'Full of Hunter' Stars!

My excitement for Vi Keeland’s releases is always over the top. I find her stories have a very especial way to grab me because they have a little bit of everything in them. So, of course, I was excited about Sex, Not Love. Vi’s creations always sound so good to me and it’s very difficult for me not to love everything this woman writes. She is an absolute auto-buy author to me and I am glad to say she did not disappoint with this release.

Sex, Not Love is Vi’s newest standalone novel and it all starts with the instant connection between two people who seem to be opposites. Hunter and Natalia meet in their respective best friends weeding and it’s impossible not to notice the chemistry between them since their very first meeting. They have an “unforgettable” night, an oh-so-hot kiss and they do not meet again until a year later (because Natalia decided to give a wrong number to Hunter). Of course, that strong link between them is still there, and even though they are not emotionally ready for a relationship, their feelings make it extremely difficult for them not to fall in love.

“You’re not going anywhere before you do two things.”
“Two things?”
“Leave your number and kiss me goodbye.”

Again, Vi delivered another fantastic couple for us to love. I love her cocky heroes and sassy heroines. I love the sexual tension. I love surprises and lots of emotions in between. You’ll get all of that with this book! With Keeland’s especial touches, Sex, Not Love definitely is a great addition to her creations. I love her imperfect characters and how she is able to create couples that connect so well. Hunter and Natalia have good lives now, but their pasts are still very much present. It’s difficult for both of them to trust each other and also to accept their love towards one another. But, that chemistry is relentless!

“I prefer to live my life looking forward, not backward. You look in the rearview mirror too often, sometimes you miss what’s right in front of you.”

“I believe sex without going down on a woman first is bad manners.”

I am pretty sure I don’t have to say this (because I’ve said it SO MANY freaking times!) but this woman knows how to write sexual tension and sex scenes like no other! Hunter is such a seductive hero and he absolutely knows how to use that mouth! (And everything else too!). Natalia is not able to fight against their chemistry either and when they finally get together, things get extremely hawt! And what is even better.. when emotions start to appear, of course! The mix of the connection between these two, the adorable moments with Natalia’s stepdaughter, the hilarious and heartwarming scenes with their best friends and families: all these aspects blended perfectly well and that ending will melt your heart with happiness!

I wanted to live, and I wanted to live for and with this woman.

Therefore, my rating for Sex, Not Love is 4.5 STARS because it was a great love story to read, with a couple so sweet and who has lots of sexy chemistry and it gave me all the feels too! Vi never fails to surprise me so I can't wait to see what is next for her (and us!). So, if you have enjoyed her books in the past, do not miss reading this novel, I totally recommend it!

CHECK OUT MY BLOG HERE:
Profile Image for Auntee.
1,264 reviews1,368 followers
January 22, 2018
Yowza! I loved this story!

Hunter Delucia and Natalia Rossi meet at their respective friends' wedding rehersal, and the sparks fly immediately. Nat's coming off a broken marriage where her charming husband totally destroyed her trust, so she's not really looking to be charmed by a handsome man again. Hunter is nothing but sexy charm. And wildly inappropriate dirty talk. Nat can't help but be attracted to him. Her body says yes, but her head says "no way". After a drunken night spent together after the wedding (where nothing happened other than a hot kiss), Hunter convinces Nat to give him her phone number. Knowing this is a bad idea (and besides, they live on opposite coasts--how could this work?), Nat gives him a phony number, and flies home.

A year later they meet up again, at their friends' baby shower. Of course things pick up where they left off. Plenty of sexy banter between the two, and steamy kisses. Yet still, Nat resists giving Hunter her real number. Even though Hunter doesn't want a relationship either, and suggests "sex, not love' for them, Nat gives him a phony number again--her mom's. If she thought she could discourage him that way....ha!

There's so much more to this story but I don't want to spoil it. Hunter seems so sexy, carefree, confident, and relentless in his pursuit of Nat, but why does he insist on not having a "relationship". What is his reason? He admits to being in love once before--is that why? Was it a bad break up? We know why Natalia is gun shy--she's had a messy divorce, was betrayed by her ex-husband and is left to raise his teenage daughter. We can understand why she's reluctant to put herself out there. But Hunter remains a mystery...

I just loved this story. It was packed with so many details; the characters were so fully fleshed out that I felt I really knew them. I had my suspicions about Hunter and I thought I knew what his reluctance was about...but then I was wrong. But then when more was revealed....and I figured it out...I thought--"didn't I just read a book with this same story line"? When I finally remembered what book it was ( I thought "oh noooo" and the tears started flowing about what was to come.

I just love a juicy story with some sexy times in the mix. And this book had plenty of story and sex--although the sex didn't get in the way of the story--it enhanced it! I loved Hunter--he was cocky and sexy and wildly inappropriate at times, but he was a good guy, and Natalia could see that. God he was hard to resist! Nat was equally likable. She was feisty and sassy and was able to verbally spar with Hunter. You could see how she was falling for Hunter, even though she thought she could do the whole' sex, not love' thing. And when Hunter ultimately hurt her (and himself), I was crying right along with her...*sigh*

This is my first keeper of 2018. This one really spoke to me--I fell for both Hunter and Natalia, and their love story had me smiling, laughing, swooning, and crying. I could not put it down until I finished it. It was a roller coaster ride, but one that I recommend every romance lover read!
5 big stars
Profile Image for Cristina.
508 reviews386 followers
January 22, 2018
I loved this book with all my heart! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
This book was so beautifulll! And the ending was perfect. Arnold is the reason why I still believe in true love. Presents like this one are pure gold!
Natalia and Hunter were such a nice couple (I don't even know if couple is the right word, but anyway...). Hunter was... I have no words. A thoughtful, gorgeous man. The kind of man I would be lucky to have in my life someday. I adored his relationship with Izzy. What is there not to like about this guy?!
I love it when an author knows how to explain every problem without giving too much information at the same time. I love the suspense, the drama, the twisted turn of events. And I found all of them in this book! How awesome is that?! Books like this one are the reason I love fictional characters more than people in real life. So how could I come back to reality now?!

Some true words were written here (or quotes I really liked):

“Why am I attracted to assholes?”
“Because they’re attractive. That’s part of what makes them turn into assholes.”

“I thought you guys had a lot of chemistry.”
“Playing with chemistry leads to explosions.”

“When you spend too much time looking back and trying to figure out what went wrong, you’re missing out on moving forward.”

“You can’t make yourself feel something for someone any more than you can make yourself stop feeling something for someone else.”

“Teenagers listen to your actions, not what you tell them is right or wrong.”

“Sometimes confidence is worn like a mask to shield people from seeing insecurities.”

“Because while the truth hurts, it’s like a Band-Aid when you rip it off. The pain goes away. It’s the lies and questioning that keep you aching for a long time.”
March 27, 2018
Buddy-Read with the Lovely Six, set to commence March 19.

2018 Romance Challenge

Category: Contemporary Romance

3.5 Sweet Pea Stars

Fortunately for me Sex, Not Love did not leave me with the same lackluster feelings as Beautiful Mistake. The lovely Six may have disowned me as a friend and buddy-reader if that had of happened.

Life isn’t about the big win. It’s about the person you call first to tell you’ve won.

Vi Keeland has this knack for creating male leads that belong on my ‘the-man’ shelf and Hunter Delucia is yet another prime (and I do mean prime *saucy wink*) example of that skillset. She does this by not only having her leading men be easy on the eyes but also cheeky as all get out. I love a sweet man with a cheeky side, as my partner would attest, who knows what he wants and goes after it.

When our love interests, Hunter and Natalia, meet at their mutual friends’ wedding sparks fly between them. As fate, or none-too-subtle friends meddling, would have it Nat catches the bouquet and Hunter the garter. Which only amps up an already steaming connection between the two. However, Nat isn’t interested in smooth talking men with bodies like Greek gods, for good reason. One such smooth talker did as Beyonce suggests and “put a ring on it” only to leave her saddled with his teenage daughter when his lying and cheating ass ended up in jail. Yup, she’s had some shit taste in men all right. It’s rare in a romance for me to actually understand why people decide to ignore their attraction to one and other; in Sex, Not Love I understood Nat’s reluctance. That is one HELL of a blow she’s been dealt. Add to it that Hunter, for viable reasons of his own, is only looking for something short term and you have yourself a shitshow of reasons to climb all aboard the train away from:

DANGER AHEAD!

After sharing a drunken kiss and a bed, but NOT sex, at their friends’ wedding celebration Natalia flies off, leaving Hunter with a fake number and the expectation to never see him again. Or at very least for him to lose interest quickly….. he doesn’t. He badgers her friend for Nat’s real number but like a good friend she doesn’t give it out. I loathe when friends in romances just give out private information like that without discussing anything with the other party. Unfortunately, or *waggles eyebrows* fortunately for my lusty tastes, the two reconnect when those same friends end up pregnant the following year.

Okay, okay. I won’t tell you the whole damn plot, Ms. Keeland can do so much better than I would. This book is steamy and sexy. The kissing scenes are wonderful, as are the bonding moments between Izzy and Nat.

My only real qualm is the time leaping when we are in Hunter’s POV. I found it almost entirely unnecessary and downright confusing. There were better ways that his reluctance to be in a relationship, despite obvious leanings towards same, could have been shown without using that particular method. In the end I don’t think it really added anything to the overall story. I often even found myself resenting the time I spent there because it took away from the present day story being told and then culminated in adding next to nothing overall.

Profile Image for Melanie (mells_view).
1,680 reviews310 followers
May 30, 2018
Truly loved this book much more than I expected to. Not that I didn’t think I’d enjoy it, because I have enjoyed this authors work before, but I didn’t think a friends with benefits book would be so deep and emotional. I was peasantry surprised by this one I will openly admit. It’s the perfect combination of heat, sweet, and emotion. I loved both the main characters, and the side characters added so much to the story. Such a great read for so many reasons.

Highly recommend!

^fan edit on IG!
Profile Image for Wil Loves Books!.
1,077 reviews454 followers
January 19, 2018
I liked this one a lot. Vi Keeland is such a talented, solid writer that never ceases to amaze me with her original stories, and this one is no exception. This particular story caught me by surprise, especially towards the end and I truly enjoyed that.

As the blurb states, Hunter and Natalia meet when they were both in the wedding party of their respective best friends and immediately have an attraction/connection. I will say that the romance in this story moves along kinda slow. There is a few encounters and a lot of back and forth between them, including time jumps. But their chemistry is excellent! I love the banter and the little back and forth between them. And when they get together, it’s extremely hot!!!

Like I said before this story started a little bit slow and then picked up steam, at that point I couldn’t put it down cause it surprised me in the most wonderful way. The turn it takes from light to angsty is everything I live for when it comes to books. I loved it!

The story is told in first person dual POV. But most of Hunter’s POV is told in the past, so we’re seeing his backstory through his eyes. This past did not include the heroine. Now, as you know I normally have huge issues with this. You know I have strong opinions about characters telling backstories, especially if they include a different significant other the main character was hung up with. It normally can rub me the wrong way, like in Ugly Love for example (I know, I know, unpopular opinion). But in this book, it actually worked. I actually think Vi Keeland nails it with Hunter’s backstory and how it’s told. It was nothing like I thought it was, and I was kinda blown away by how much I enjoyed it.

Overall, this book was pretty awesome. Not my favorite by this author, but solid as always. Absolutely recommend!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 2,494 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.