Start by marking “Clara Voyant” as Want to Read:
Clara Voyant

Clara Voyant

Clara can't believe her no-nonsense grandmother has just up and moved to Florida, leaving Clara and her mother on their own for the first time. This means her mother can finally "follow her bliss," which involves moving to a tiny apartment in Kensington Market, working at a herbal remedy shop and trying to develop her so-called mystical powers. Clara tries to make the best ...more
Published May 15th 2018 by Puffin Canada (first published May 5th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Clara Voyant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clara Voyant

[Shai] Bibliophage
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Clara Voyant is a light read and an enjoyable middle-grade book that narrates the story of Clara Costa, a middle-grade school student from Kensington Middle School who is one of the new staff of the school's Gazette. She dreams of having her own column from the said school newspaper, but their editor Wesley Ferris gave her writing tasks that are not suitable to Clara's taste. The most notable one that Wesley gave her was when she was assigned to write the weekly horoscope section.

Writing the sa
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
★★★★✬ 4.5 stars
Why I recommend this book:
1. It's very relaxing!
2. A very awesome, colorful cast
3. Strong girls who mean business, good role models
4. A message about counting your blessings
5. It talks about loss and change, but in an upbeat manner.

If you want to read more about these points or see ALL the GIFs, come here and read the full review on my blog.

These are the books I recommend based on this one, reasons also on the blog post:

The Zanna Function by Daniel Wheatley Omnia by Laura Gallego García A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1) by Madeleine L'Engle

I thank Penguin Random House Canada / Puffin Canada for
Mimizuka  (Pia)
*I got a free copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

Clara is a rational thinking girl who doesn't believe in anything magical or that doesn't have a logical explanation. But sadly for her it seems that can't escape those crazy ideas, not in her school where she's doom to write the horoscope in the school newspaper, not in the new weird neighborhood where she lives with her mother, Gabby.

✸ Setting

In this book you won't find magic per se. There's n
Stephanie ((Strazzybooks))
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Me now loved this story and I know 5th/6th grade-Stephanie would have *really* loved this story.

Clara is a practical girl that has to come to terms with her more bohemian mother/new lifestyle after they move to the colorful Kensington Market. She meets Maeve, who turns out to be a wonderful and supportive best friend and one of the best friend characters I’ve read in awhile. Clara and Maeve solve a mystery and discover some talents and themselves along the way.

This book has so many things I app
Mandy
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Mandy by: Rendz
This was adorable and fun and quirky and I was in deep with this one. MG is killing it, and this is just the latest edition of Middle Grade showing its fine writing skills.

This book is really light and fluffy and quirky. It has an intriguing premise of a girl who is determined to write a hard hitting piece of junior high journalism but somehow gets stuck with writing the horoscope -to her horror and to the delight of her hippy mother and her morbid new friends. When her horoscopes start coming t
Baillie
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Now I haven’t read a “children’s” book in a very long time. That being said, I liked Rachelle Delaney’s “Clara Voyant.” It was a light, easy read that made me smile. I often found myself reminiscing on my own elementary school experiences. And I loved the fact that it was set in Toronto.

Oddly enough I found some of the names of the characters a little out there and distracting. I had trouble following at the beginning since she referred to both her mother and grandmother in their given names. A
Manon the Malicious
I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Clara moved to a new neighborhood recently and doesn’t really like it. The people here are too weird and it doesn’t help that all her mother is talk about herbs, ghosts and powers.
What Clara wants to do is stick to the fact and become a journalist. She actually writes at her school’s paper but the editor only gives her small articles to do until she gets her own column… The horoscopes. Everything she hates…

I found the plot pret
Vikki VanSickle
A totally delightful read featuring gentle mother-daughter conflict, lots of middle school drama, a mystery, potential psychic ability, all set in Toronto's vibrant Kensington Market and told from Clara's slightly dry, pitch-perfect tween first person perspective.
Rendz
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5! I'm just smiling and smiling and smiling.
___

This book was absolutely positively adorable and I loved every second of it. It was a fast and funny read, and I found the zodiac element very entertaining. Plus, it is set in Canada, specifically Toronto, so stay tuned for an appearance by Patriotic Rendz later on in this review!

What I Liked:
Characters:

Clara: My fellow Cancerian, she was an absolute rock star and I loved her! Clara at the beginning of the book would probably roll her eyes (just
MissBecka
Thank you so much to NetGalley and Puffin Canada for gracing me with a copy of this light and breezing book. This was exactly what I needed on a Saturday morning filled with freezing rain!

This middle grade story stars Clara, a skeptic of the paranormal who is assigned the horoscopes column at her school paper. This in turn earns her the name Clara Voyant, much to her chagrin.
All she wants is her chance to prove her talent as a serious journalist and has now been saddled with something she doesn
Danielle
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade-ya
"You shouldn't do what other people want you to do with your life. You should stick with your own dreams."
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: june-2018
clara

MY RATING: 4/5 STARS

I received a copy from Penguin Random House Canada in exchange for a honest review.

I don't typically read middle-grade novels. It usually has to do with something about the writing style that really ticks me off. Like it's either too simplistic or characters are too animated. Although, Clara Voyant, is a middle-grade novel with the writing style I just described, I found myself thoroughly enjoying the story after a few chapters in. Clara Voyant is a delightful read---and not
Karen Upper
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Clara's passion for writing lands her as a "Newsies" in the school newspaper....but her assignments leave her longing to write a more 'hard-hitting investigative piece' if only given the opportunity! Trying to plead her case, Clara is given a new assignment...writing horoscopes.....not the type of journalism she had in mind! Determination and creativity take Clara into a new direction where she discovers things about herself that turns her world topsy turey! I love this quirky, at times practica ...more
Shelby M. (Read and Find Out)
I've been trying to think about what to say in this review for over a month now, and I'm still not sure. This was a cute middle grade contemporary with a bit of mystery and mysticism. Clara is at a new school and has moved into a new neighborhood. I enjoyed the little plot throughout, but other than that I found it to be simplistic. I would say that this is a middle grade that doesn't hold up for older audiences.
Tanya Kyi
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a fantastic read, with a hilarious concept, a quirky cast of characters, and Rachelle Delaney's trademark humour throughout. Plus: best cover ever!
Jocelyn
This book had the potential to be a cute contemporary with an astrological twist, but disappointingly never got there. Clara is extremely judgmental from page one and while her very black-or-white thinking works fine in the beginning, it is never challenged nor does she seem to grow. Hearing her thoughts on people was difficult at times. Sometimes she is rude and other times down right nasty, including to her own mother (who yes, is a flaky sort of character, but the condescension she regards he ...more
Nabila Shaikh
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 8+ and also adults who are looking for a light & fun read or are in a reading slump
"A wise person once told me that people are in charge of their own destinies. You can't decide what will happen to you, but you can decide how you'll react."
The book is based on Clara, a girl who doesn't believe in mystical powers & superstitions and calls all those things "woo". Clara and her mother move into a tiny apartment above a herbal remedy shop in Kensington market when her grandmother moves to Florida and Clara doesn't like the change and misses her grandmother. As she's really i
Rini Budihartati
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I got an ARC copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Clara Voyant was a book about Clara Costa, a girl who didn't believe in things like magic or "woo" her grandmother, Elaine, would say. Unlike her grandmother, her mother Gaby, believed and liked these kind of things. Clara and Gaby just moved out to a new apartment in a new neighborhood called Kensington Market. While, Elaine moved out to West Palm Beach. Clara missed her grandmother and her "normal" things so much be
Sonia
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I absolutely believe in these sort of mystical things like clairvoyance, horoscopes, reading tea leaves, herbal thingies (not exactly sure what to call them), and all the other things mentioned in this book. I connected with all the characters, even the terror of a custodian, Mrs. Major, and the guy who runs the taco truck.

The main character, Clara Costa, starts out not believing in any of the craziness, (or "woo", as her grandmother would put it) that her mother and Clara's b
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kids don't always agree with what parents ideals are. Clara is stuck with a "woo" mother who has a beaded doorway, and has a great aunt who was a witch, and makes herbal remedies for people. Clara just wants a normal life, with normal kids, in a normal school. And she wants to be a journalist.

Very realistic feelings from Clara. Fun little story, which is about more than Clara writing a horoscope that appears to come true.

Quick reading, as it is middle-school, but fun, with a slight mystery invol
Deepika Ramesh
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a cute little book with a cuter message at its heart. While the story picked up some pace only almost after half the book and the dialogues had rough edges, they are not huge complaints. I loved hanging out at Kingston Market with Clara and Gaby and their weird, kind friends. I wish I were clairvoyant too. I wish I could see my dear ones' fortune. There is so much magic in this book. A treat for young readers and readers like me who love books written for young readers. Yaaay!
Lisa Lewis
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed Clara Voyant by Rachelle Delaney so much. Clara doesn’t believe in all the “woo” of magic, mysticism, and astrology. As she writes for the school paper and tries to solve a mystery, Clara discovers she might just be clairvoyant! Thank you Penguin Random House for an ARC of this delightful book. #collabookation
Wensday
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I thought the book was really cute and would suggest it for those 9-12 years old although it will be enjoyed by all age groups. The book flowed along and the characters were not 2-dimensional. Sometimes in life we don't get what we want, but we have to play the cards we're dealt. I would really enjoy this if it becomes a series.
Cami
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I forgot to write a review last year so here it is:
I did like this book, I think that it can almost bring back memories from middle school. I would recommend this book for the ones that feel like reading something simple, and yet with a good plot.
Darlene Cruz
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Refreshing delightful read, conflicts, drama, friendship and relationship , everything to keep you reading till the end. Thank you Goodreads winner of a free book.
Piper Handley
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a good book! I love the plot line.
Mkb
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a charming book set in Toronto. The ages of the characters, the kind of problems they have and the tone totally remind me of Gordon Korman’s early books which I loved so much.
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

"Clara folded up her newspaper and handed it back, still trying to understand what had just happened. A horoscope column. By Clara Voyant. Hers for the rest of the year. This was definitely not part of the plan. In fact, it had disaster written all over it."

Canadian author Rachelle Delaney's (The Bonaventure Adventures) latest middle grade novel is the delightful and clever Clara Voyant.

After Clara Costa's grandmother Elaine decides to leave Toronto for the warm climate of Florida, middle schoo
Amanda
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I was fortunate to receive a digital ARC of Rachelle Delaney’s Clara Voyant via Net Galley, thanks to the lovely folks over at Penguin Random House Canada. When I saw the adorable cover and title, I knew I needed to pick this book up. The novel tells the story of sixth grader, Clara, as she tries to “prove her chops” and obtain an investigative piece for her school’s newspaper. To her dismay, she winds up running the paper’s horoscope column instead. Abhorring anything superstitious, you can ima ...more
Pop Bop
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A Switch on the Family Cozy

Usually, in my experience, when you have a warm and fuzzy family/neighborhood cozy it's powered by a big-hearted and optimistic kid heroine who thaws out the frosty adults around her. Very Pollyanna, (which, by the way, is a way better book than common memory gives it credit for). The inside joke in "Clara Voyant", though, is that the tween heroine is the one who's sort of cold and grumpy and prickly, and it's the adults around her who loosen her up and open her eyes t
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Enchanted Egg (The Magical Animal Adoption Agency, #2)
  • Look Out for the Fitzgerald-Trouts
  • From Far Away
  • Miss Moon: Wise Words from a Dog Governess
  • Professional Crocodile
  • The Cranky Ballerina
  • Of Mice and Magic (Hamster Princess, #2)
  • My Friend Maggie
  • MiNRS
  • The Empress of Idaho
  • Words That Start With B
  • Short for Chameleon
Rachelle Delaney is the author of several middle grade novels, including The Metro Dogs of Moscow, which was a CLA Book of the Year Honour Book, as well as a finalist for the Silver Birch Award, the Red Cedar Award, and the Rocky Mountain Book Award, among others. Its sequel, The Circus Dogs of Prague, was a finalist for the 2017 Pacific Northwest Library Association’s Young Reader’s Choice Award. ...more