Start by marking “Understanding BRCA: Living with the Breast Cancer Gene” as Want to Read:
Understanding BRCA: Living with the Breast Cancer Gene

Understanding BRCA: Living with the Breast Cancer Gene

Do you have a close relative who has died from, or is experiencing, aggressive breast, ovarian or prostate cancer? Have they been tested for the BRCA gene mutation? Have you? At the age of 35 and following the death of her mother from ovarian cancer, Clarissa Foster was found to carry a harmful mutation in the BRCA2 gene which drastically increased her risk of developing b

Published November 13th 2017 by Hammersmith Health Books

To ask other readers questions about Understanding BRCA, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding BRCA

Start your review of Understanding BRCA: Living with the Breast Cancer Gene
Jess Westhoff
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! I only wish this book would have been available ten years ago.
Emily
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, own
Clear, well-researched and seemingly the only book of its kind, this is a must-read if you’re a BRCA carrier. I’m American, so this had more statistics on British women than was necessary for me, but she also includes the relevant data on American women. Moreover it was interesting to hear her experiences with the NHS (not to mention the tea served in the hospital to raise her spirits). Thanks for writing this book!
Amy Byer Shainman
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those interested in cancer genetics, science, or who want to learn more about BRCA gene mutations
Shelves: brca-books
FINALLY finished reading this Clarissa! As an advocate providing education, advocacy, and support surrounding BRCA and other hereditary cancer syndromes, I truly appreciate the time and effort that it took you to complete this amazing book/BRCA resource. Women and men in the UK will absolutely benefit from the all of the guidelines specific to the UK. Others will benefit from the information regarding BRCA mutations. I will be recommending this. Unbelievable glossary, appendix, resources, and in ...more
Monaco
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who have the BRCA gene mutation or their family.
I highly recommend this book to all carriers of a mutated BRCA gene or to their family. The author has done a fantastic job explaining the facts, science and options in a clear way for us non-medical people.
Her account of her own journey is transparent and emotional and many of us will recognise ourselves in this.
Above all, she states all the options we have and all the things to consider in terms of monitoring/prevention/curing etc.. I found it incredibly valuable for my own case.
A must
J E Gillard
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic and reassuring

A must read for any BRCA mutation carrier. Overwhelmingly positive and very easy to read. Highly recommend. Saved me from trawling through many hours of medical papers that I’m not qualified to understand.
Kathleen
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful book! The author begins by sharing her experiences with her Mother's ovarian cancer. Then the majority of the book is a lengthy, yet very readable overview of all things BRCA, cancer, statistics, surgery, and outcomes. Finally finishing with the author's own Previvor story of hope.

I feel like this has become my own little BRCA desk reference guide. The information is medical, but you don't get weighed down by numbers or hard to understand medical terminology. She's done a great
Joyce
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good information in this book. I am BRCA2 but did not find out until after my second breast cancer diagnosis. Anyone who has been tested and carries the gene should read this book. The author lives in England and was 35 when she did preventative surgeries. It is a journey!
lynelle
Oct 01, 2019

• Jane Austen Girl: A Timbell Creek Novel
  • The Absolute Brightness of Leonard Pelkey
  • The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
  • Becoming the Dark Prince (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #3.5)
  • How to Find Love in a Bookshop
  • The Secrets We Kept
  • A Redbird Christmas
  • The Sisters (Cormac Reilly, #.5)
  • Hocus Pocus & The All New Sequel
  • Carmilla
  • My Lost Family
  • The Smell of Other People's Houses
  • First Flurries
  • After the Flood
  • The Writing Desk
  • Escaping from Houdini (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #3)
  • Time After Time