Start by marking “11 Missed Calls” as Want to Read:

11 Missed Calls

Here are two things I know about my mother:

1. She had dark hair, like mine.

2. She wasn’t very happy at the end.

Anna has always believed that her mother, Debbie, died 30 years ago on the night she disappeared.

But when her father gets a strange note, she realises that she’s never been told the full story of what happened that night on the cliff.

Confused and upset, Anna turn
Published July 26th 2018 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about 11 Missed Calls, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
This book is a deep character study of two women connected by a thread that spans time, secrets, and loneliness. Elisabeth Carpenter has written a story in 11 Missed Calls that feels as though it needed to be told. Spanning two different time periods, with each woman at the same age in their story, there are both parallels and contrasts between the mother, Debbie, and the daughter, Anna. This is a book driven by the characters and their search for answers and wholeness.

I always struggle with the
Helga
Anna’s mother, Debbie, has been missing for 30 years. Some believe her to be dead and some gossip that she left her husband and two children and ran off with another man. But for Anna, finding her mother, dead or alive, has become an obsession.
That is, until her father’s wife Monica, who was also Debbie’s best friend, receives a mysterious email, signed by none other than Debbie herself.
What really happened to Debbie all those years ago? Why was she acting weird days before her disappearance? I
Dash fan
4☆ Secrets and Lies, Crime Mystery thriller

11 Missed Calls is a mystery thriller that weaves past and present together in the search for answers.

Debbie Disappeared leaving her husband and kids behind without a trace.
Anna always believed her mum had died.

But fast forward and Anna is now in her 30s shes starting to doubt that story and decides she needs to delve into the past to get the truth behind her mothers disappearance.

The story is written in alternate time lines. Past... leading up to Debbi
Lou
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was slightly apprehensive about reading this book as I picked up Libby Carpenter's previous title "99 Red Balloons" last year and didn't enjoy it that much. However, I am the type of person that is more than willing to give an author another chance to impress me and so here I am!

The story centres around Anna who believes her mother passed away the night she disappeared 30 years ago but she comes to realise that she has never really heard the full explanation and she feels entitled to one. For
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Monica's mobile phone lights up; it’s ringing on silent, the caller unknown.

'Aren't you going to answer that?' I say.

She shakes her head, just staring at it.

It stops flashing. I peer at the screen.

'There are eleven missed calls, Monica. What if it's her?'

ABOUT THIS BOOK: Here are two things I know about my mother:

1. She had dark hair, like mine.

2. She wasn’t very happy at the end.

But wh
Berit☀️✨
This was a lovely story about love, family, and a mystery!

Sometimes how you feel about a book has everything to do with expectations and nothing really to do with the book itself... I picked up this book expecting a twisty psychological thriller and what I got was women’s fiction with a side of mystery.... now I love women’s fiction with a side of mystery, but when I’m expecting some kind of dark twisted story I don’t like it quite as much.... hope this makes sense, it’s kind of like when you ta
Shalini
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What did I just read — I don’t know

Where were the 11 missed calls — I don’t know

How did I manage to finish — I don’t know

Why did I read this — I don’t know

Whew… A lot of ‘don’t knows’ in this book. The story had a beautiful premise Anna/Annie’s mother has been missing for 30 years cloaked under a lot of mystery while on a holiday at Tenerife, and this fact has obsessed Anna for three decades – to find her mother Debbie. Till an email comes to step-mother Monica and that steamrolls the entire sto
Mandy White
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: net-galley
11 Missed Calls by Elisabeth Carpenter was a bit of a disappointment for me. I had really high hopes for this book but it didn't live up to them at all.

It is the story of Anna who lost her mother when she was 1 month old. She disappeared on a family holiday near to be seen again. After her mother disappeared her father married her mothers best friend. Her father and step mother receive a letter that makes it seem that Anna didnt know the full story. She then discovers a letter from another wome
Joanne Robertson
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you’re looking for an action packed, twist upon twist rollercoaster of a psychological suspense then 11 Missed Calls probably isn’t for you! Even the title 11 Missed Calls suggests urgency but I think that’s rather misleading and that the title doesn’t really work with what’s between the covers of this book. But I personally love Libby Carpenters books so I hope that other people will also pick up this book and enjoy it, which is why I’ve tried to bring an understanding of her style to my rev ...more
Melissa In The City 🥂
11 Missed Calls
A riveting mystery by Elisabeth Carpenter full of love, love lost, betrayal, secrets, family, and heartache. Yes, there were a few twists as well and that made me want to turn the pages. Twists that keep me up all night, turning pages....
I really appreciate that the author wrote from 2 POVs. There wasn't any added "fluff" or unnecessary details, yet the details she gave us of the characters were crisp and so raw that it made understanding the characters emotions all the more heart
Selena
Aug 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
I received a free e-copy of 11 Missed Calls by Elizabeth Carpenter from NetGalley for my honest review.

Anna's mom has been missing for thirty years. When Anna's dad gets a strange note, she realizes she doesn't really know what happened that night on the cliff.

Anna gets an email one day, supposedly from her mother and decides she is going to find out what really happened that night. Is her mom alive? Is she dead? Can she trust anyone because there are a lot of people keeping secrets. The book is
Nicki
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anna has always believed that her Mum Debbie who disappeared over 30 years ago whilst she was on holiday in Tenerife is dead.

But when her Father informs her that his wife Monica has received a email that is allegedly from her dead mother,Anna realises that she has never been told the full story of what happened on that night on the cliff.

Confused and upset,Anna starts digging into the secrets of the past.Is her mother really still alive? Why is her Grandad the only member of her family willing t
Michelle
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Debbie died 30 years ago, or did she? What happened on the night that Debbie disappeared? Did she run away? Did she pass away? A great novel full of love, family life, stress, family secrets, betrayal and twists. This book is cleverly written from two points of view – from the daughter Anna and the mother Debbie. A great psychological thriller that is sure to please fans of this genre.

This is my first book read by Elisabeth Carpenter and I really enjoyed it. This book takes you on a journey from
Heidi
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elisabeth Carpenter was one of my most exciting new author discoveries in 2017, with her riveting psychological thriller 99 Red Balloons, and since then I have been anxiously waiting for the release of her new novel. Mother-daughter mysteries have always held a special fascination for me, so I was doubly excited to read the synopsis of the plot, which revolves around the mysterious disappearance of our main character’s mother over 30 years ago – I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it! And as soon ...more
Elaine Tomasso
I would like to thank Netgalley and Avon Books UK for an advance copy of 11 Missed Calls, a psychological thriller set in Preston.

Anna was one month old when her mother, Debbie, disappeared 30 years ago while on holiday in Tenerife. Debbie's disappearance and what she believes her family is keeping from her has coloured Anna's life so when her stepmother, Monica, receives an e-mail purportedly from Debbie she starts investigating seriously.

11 Missed Calls is not what I thought it would be and I
michelle
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Netgalley and Avon Books an ARC in return for an honest review.
11 Missed Calls. Anna was one month old, when her mother Debbie disappeared, feared dead on a holiday in Tenerife. Thirty years later, her father tells her that Monica (his wife now and Debbie’s best friend) has been sent an email allegedly from Debbie. Anna then realises that she has not been told the honest truth about her mother.
Anna then starts looking for her mother. Even hiring a Private investigator to find out the t
Donna Maguire

Having really enjoyed the author's previous book I was keen to get started with this one, she had a great writing style that I really enjoy.

I was intrigued by the plot for this one and certainly wanted to know more. I liked how the story is told from the differing view points and we have the past and present coming to light and we get to find out more about what happened as the story progresses.

There was just the right amount of suspense for me, I liked th
Cassie-Traveling Sister-
This book took me a couple days to finish I loved it but when you have a seven year old on summer break it happens 😉. I enjoyed this book it was a step away from my usual mystery thrillers! It was a deep character thriller which starts with Debbie who is the mother of Anne . Debbie disappears when Anne is still a baby so part of the story takes place in the 1980s which is Debbie’s story that leads up to her disappearance and then now Anne who wants to know what happened to her mother now that sh ...more
Jess Owens
May 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
"Here are two things I know about my mother : 1. She had dark hair, like mine. 2. She wasn't very happy at the end."

The first line of the book's summary pulled me in. I was prepared for a psychological thriller with deep family issues and twists and turns around every corner. That is not what this is.

I really wanted to like this book, I love the crime fiction genre, but it was too confusing. There are three POVs : the mother (when she was younger in 1986) and the daughter in present day and the
Kate Ellis
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this book written from two character's point of view. It held my attention throughout. Being of a similar age to Debbie in the 1980's it was nice to be reminded of the introduction of the microwave and what people said about it, amongst other things of the era. I will be looking out for more books by Elisabeth Carpenter, and certainly recommending this novel to fellow readers.
#NetGalley #11missedcalls
Julie Lacey
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a good read which will make you desparate to know what happened to Debbie from the word go.
It’s a bit frustrating that the story is told through alternating chapters as I just wanted to know what happened, but I appreciate this is the way the story needed to be told when I reached the end.
Anna has never known her mother, Debbie, and there seems to be a mystery around where she’s gone or if she’s dead. Different members of the family believe different things.
It’s heartbreaking to read
I have mixed feelings about this book. I really loved it until I got to the end. I couldn't wait to find out what happened to Debbie. I kept going through the group of people in her life- her husband, her best friend and her best friend's husband. Then it's revealed and I felt so disappointed. I guess I was expecting something different. While reading the book I didn't want to put it down. It was full of twists and turns. I kept blaming Monica and she was such a horrible best friend.

The book al
Alfred Nobile
The premise of this book was so good, but sadly this novel did not match up to it.
It was written in the first person. But to me as this story involved two time lines, this vehicle did not work for me.
It is the story of two women; Debbie who disappears on a holiday to Tenerife and at the start of the book is presumed dead.
The other woman is Anna/Annie her daughter who has never known her mother.
Her father is now married to Monica, Debbie's best friend.
They receive an email reputedly from Debbie.
Debi Samuels
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked the ending, There was a good amount of guessing going on, it wasn't too badly written, the problem with this book is that it's not a page turner, it's not particularly outstanding in any way. I didn't see the ending coming as such, though there wasn't a whole lot of "choices" to guess. I actually disliked Debbie as a character, I understand she was dealing with some mental health issues, however, the postpartum stage is long past and it sounds like she had a much more serious diagnosis. ...more
Amanda Evans
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I thoroughly enjoyed this story. It is my first book by this author and I can safe for definite that it won’t be the last. The writing is flawless and draws you in from the first page. The characters are well fleshed out and I became completely engrossed in the story.

11 Missed Calls is told from two different points of view. We are introduced first to Debbie in 1987 as her world falls apart. She is standing at the edge of a cliff wanting to end it all.

The next chapter takes us to the present ti
Chanel Lindsay
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Even though I ended up buying my own physical copy of this book to read, I still would like to thank Netgalley and the publishers for also providing me with a copy to review.

This book follows Anna, who has always believed that her mother, Debbie, died 30 years ago on the night she disappeared. But when her father recieves a strange note, she realises she's never been told the full story of what happened that night on the cliff. Confused and upset, Anna turns to her husband, Jack - but when she
Cassie-Traveling Sister-
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stephanie
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it

11 Missed Calls is a dual narrative novel concerning two women in the same family. Debbie who is the mother of Anna, went missing on holiday in Tenerife thirty years ago when Anna was a baby. They each have their story to tell. Debbie has struggled with depression and low esteem since the birth of Anna, her second child. Anna struggles to accept that her mother left her as baby and refuses to accept the rest of her family’s belief that she is dead. When communication is received to suggest Anna
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loved-it, net-galley
This is my first read by this author, it won’t be my last as I enjoyed this read.

The story is told through two points of view. We are taken back in time to the 1980s for Debbie’s point of view. We are then told of Anna’s point of view, Debbie’s daughter. This point of view is told in the present.

I didn’t like the female characters very much however they were certainly more likeable than the male characters in the story. Although the characters weren’t as likeable as I’d have liked I enjoyed the
Elana Bourgeois
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was okay at times, but mostly it just dragged on and on. I’m glad it’s finally over. Disappointing ending, I expected, I don’t know.... more. After chapter 3, the number of f-bombs were ridiculous. They weren’t needed, they did not further deepen or develop the characters. In fact, it took away what little joy and interest I had in getting to the end. If anything, it was a complete turn off.
Elisabeth (Libby) Carpenter won a Northern Writers New Fiction Award (2016) and was longlisted for Yeovil Literary Prize (2015 & 2016) and MsLexia Women’s Novel award (2015).

Elisabeth lives in Preston, Lancashire with her family. She loves the north of England, setting most of her stories in the area – including the novel she is writing at the moment.

99 Red Balloons was Elisabeth’s debut novel