Start by marking “11 Missed Calls” as Want to Read:

11 Missed Calls

Here are two things I know about my mother:

1. She had dark hair, like mine.

2. She wasn’t very happy at the end.

Anna has always believed that her mother, Debbie, died 30 years ago on the night she disappeared.

But when her father gets a strange note, she realises that she’s never been told the full story of what happened that night on the cliff.

Confused and upset, Anna
Published July 26th 2018 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about 11 Missed Calls, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of 11 Missed Calls
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
This book is a deep character study of two women connected by a thread that spans time, secrets, and loneliness. Elisabeth Carpenter has written a story in 11 Missed Calls that feels as though it needed to be told. Spanning two different time periods, with each woman at the same age in their story, there are both parallels and contrasts between the mother, Debbie, and the daughter, Anna. This is a book driven by the characters and their search for answers and wholeness.

I always struggle with the
Helga
Anna’s mother, Debbie, has been missing for 30 years. Some believe her to be dead and some gossip that she left her husband and two children and ran off with another man. But for Anna, finding her mother, dead or alive, has become an obsession.
That is, until her father’s wife Monica, who was also Debbie’s best friend, receives a mysterious email, signed by none other than Debbie herself.
What really happened to Debbie all those years ago? Why was she acting weird days before her disappearance?
Dash fan
4 Secrets and Lies, Crime Mystery thriller

11 Missed Calls is a mystery thriller that weaves past and present together in the search for answers.

Debbie Disappeared leaving her husband and kids behind without a trace.
Anna always believed her mum had died.

But fast forward and Anna is now in her 30s shes starting to doubt that story and decides she needs to delve into the past to get the truth behind her mothers disappearance.

The story is written in alternate time lines. Past... leading up to
Amanda
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Anna grows up not knowing her mother Debbie. When she was a baby Her mother disappeared and Anna grows up with her father Peter, brother Robert and step mom Monica.

Thirty years later Anna wants to know what really happened to her mother and find out who is sending the family notes, could they be from her mother?

Beautifully told in 2 timelines, we have the past where we can see what happens before Debbie disappears and the present where Anna tries to cope with growing up without her mother and
Lou
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was slightly apprehensive about reading this book as I picked up Libby Carpenter's previous title "99 Red Balloons" last year and didn't enjoy it that much. However, I am the type of person that is more than willing to give an author another chance to impress me and so here I am!

The story centres around Anna who believes her mother passed away the night she disappeared 30 years ago but she comes to realise that she has never really heard the full explanation and she feels entitled to one. For
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Monica's mobile phone lights up; it’s ringing on silent, the caller unknown.

'Aren't you going to answer that?' I say.

She shakes her head, just staring at it.

It stops flashing. I peer at the screen.

'There are eleven missed calls, Monica. What if it's her?'

ABOUT THIS BOOK: Here are two things I know about my mother:

1. She had dark hair, like mine.

2. She wasn’t very happy at the end.

But
Berit☀️✨
This was a lovely story about love, family, and a mystery!

Sometimes how you feel about a book has everything to do with expectations and nothing really to do with the book itself... I picked up this book expecting a twisty psychological thriller and what I got was women’s fiction with a side of mystery.... now I love women’s fiction with a side of mystery, but when I’m expecting some kind of dark twisted story I don’t like it quite as much.... hope this makes sense, it’s kind of like when you
Shalini
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What did I just read — I don’t know

Where were the 11 missed calls — I don’t know

How did I manage to finish — I don’t know

Why did I read this — I don’t know

Whew… A lot of ‘don’t knows’ in this book. The story had a beautiful premise Anna/Annie’s mother has been missing for 30 years cloaked under a lot of mystery while on a holiday at Tenerife, and this fact has obsessed Anna for three decades – to find her mother Debbie. Till an email comes to step-mother Monica and that steamrolls the entire
Mandy White
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: net-galley
11 Missed Calls by Elisabeth Carpenter was a bit of a disappointment for me. I had really high hopes for this book but it didn't live up to them at all.

It is the story of Anna who lost her mother when she was 1 month old. She disappeared on a family holiday near to be seen again. After her mother disappeared her father married her mothers best friend. Her father and step mother receive a letter that makes it seem that Anna didnt know the full story. She then discovers a letter from another
Joanne Robertson
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you’re looking for an action packed, twist upon twist rollercoaster of a psychological suspense then 11 Missed Calls probably isn’t for you! Even the title 11 Missed Calls suggests urgency but I think that’s rather misleading and that the title doesn’t really work with what’s between the covers of this book. But I personally love Libby Carpenters books so I hope that other people will also pick up this book and enjoy it, which is why I’ve tried to bring an understanding of her style to my ...more
Amanda
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Melissa In The City
11 Missed Calls
A riveting mystery by Elisabeth Carpenter full of love, love lost, betrayal, secrets, family, and heartache. Yes, there were a few twists as well and that made me want to turn the pages. Twists that keep me up all night, turning pages....
I really appreciate that the author wrote from 2 POVs. There wasn't any added "fluff" or unnecessary details, yet the details she gave us of the characters were crisp and so raw that it made understanding the characters emotions all the more heart
Linda Strong
3.5 Stars

11 MISSED CALLS by ELISABETH CARPENTER

Thirty years ago, Anna's mother disappeared. Anna has always believed her mother died, but all of a sudden she is receiving notes .. could they be from her mother? Her father wound up marrying her mother's best friend ... were they having an affair?

Anna is not having a good time. She only knows a few things about her mother, no one seems inclined to tell her exactly what happened that night.

Upset because everyone keeps telling her she's crazy and to
Selena
Aug 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
I received a free e-copy of 11 Missed Calls by Elizabeth Carpenter from NetGalley for my honest review.

Anna's mom has been missing for thirty years. When Anna's dad gets a strange note, she realizes she doesn't really know what happened that night on the cliff.

Anna gets an email one day, supposedly from her mother and decides she is going to find out what really happened that night. Is her mom alive? Is she dead? Can she trust anyone because there are a lot of people keeping secrets. The book is
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I liked that instead of it being a usual book where the mystery is revealed at the end you have the missing persons side as well. I really enjoyed both Anna and Debbie’s parts. They both kept me really interested and they were equally entertaining. I did like both Anna and Debbie and I found them to be quite similar. The ending was a bit rushed but it was a great ending. I like how everything came together and it was all explained as well. I would definitely recommend ...more
Nicki
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anna has always believed that her Mum Debbie who disappeared over 30 years ago whilst she was on holiday in Tenerife is dead.

But when her Father informs her that his wife Monica has received a email that is allegedly from her dead mother,Anna realises that she has never been told the full story of what happened on that night on the cliff.

Confused and upset,Anna starts digging into the secrets of the past.Is her mother really still alive? Why is her Grandad the only member of her family willing
Michelle
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Debbie died 30 years ago, or did she? What happened on the night that Debbie disappeared? Did she run away? Did she pass away? A great novel full of love, family life, stress, family secrets, betrayal and twists. This book is cleverly written from two points of view – from the daughter Anna and the mother Debbie. A great psychological thriller that is sure to please fans of this genre.

This is my first book read by Elisabeth Carpenter and I really enjoyed it. This book takes you on a journey from
Michelle
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Netgalley and Avon Books an ARC in return for an honest review.
11 Missed Calls. Anna was one month old, when her mother Debbie disappeared, feared dead on a holiday in Tenerife. Thirty years later, her father tells her that Monica (his wife now and Debbie’s best friend) has been sent an email allegedly from Debbie. Anna then realises that she has not been told the honest truth about her mother.
Anna then starts looking for her mother. Even hiring a Private investigator to find out the
Heidi
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elisabeth Carpenter was one of my most exciting new author discoveries in 2017, with her riveting psychological thriller 99 Red Balloons, and since then I have been anxiously waiting for the release of her new novel. Mother-daughter mysteries have always held a special fascination for me, so I was doubly excited to read the synopsis of the plot, which revolves around the mysterious disappearance of our main character’s mother over 30 years ago – I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it! And as soon ...more
Fiona (Titch) Hunt
I've never read a Elisabeth Carpenter book before, so the storyline grabbed me from the beginning. I kept stopping and starting the book as life often gets in the way, but over the past couple of days I've really got engrossed in the story and needed to find out what happened.

What happened at the cliff edge? Who was there? Who died? Where is Debbie? All these questions being asked in the story.

Annie (Anna is what she likes to be called) and her mum Debbie recount their lives 30 years ago (going
Marina
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Thirty years ago, two married couples with their kids go on a family vacation. One of the wives, Debbie, disappears without a trace, leaving her two children and the husband behind. Years later, the other wife, Monica, marries Debbie’s husband and becomes a stepmother to his children. Now, Debbie’s daughter, Anna, is a grown woman with a family of her own, but she never stops looking for the mother she doesn’t even remember. Then, a body has been found in the area where her mother has ...more
Elaine Tomasso
I would like to thank Netgalley and Avon Books UK for an advance copy of 11 Missed Calls, a psychological thriller set in Preston.

Anna was one month old when her mother, Debbie, disappeared 30 years ago while on holiday in Tenerife. Debbie's disappearance and what she believes her family is keeping from her has coloured Anna's life so when her stepmother, Monica, receives an e-mail purportedly from Debbie she starts investigating seriously.

11 Missed Calls is not what I thought it would be and I
Inn Auni
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
Both the cover and title didn't match the entire book. If the characters were church goer, it will be a good Christian novel.

The story opened with Debbie. It was clear she was having a mental breakdown. It ended there before the story continued with Anna/Annie's point of view. It's been 30 years and yet, she couldn't move on from her mother's disappearances.

There's so many things in this book that could have happened differently. The biggest letdown would be the ending. It's should have been
Donna Maguire

Having really enjoyed the author's previous book I was keen to get started with this one, she had a great writing style that I really enjoy.

I was intrigued by the plot for this one and certainly wanted to know more. I liked how the story is told from the differing view points and we have the past and present coming to light and we get to find out more about what happened as the story progresses.

There was just the right amount of suspense for me, I liked
Cassie-Traveling Sister-
This book took me a couple days to finish I loved it but when you have a seven year old on summer break it happens . I enjoyed this book it was a step away from my usual mystery thrillers! It was a deep character thriller which starts with Debbie who is the mother of Anne . Debbie disappears when Anne is still a baby so part of the story takes place in the 1980s which is Debbie’s story that leads up to her disappearance and then now Anne who wants to know what happened to her mother now that she ...more
Jess Owens
May 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
"Here are two things I know about my mother : 1. She had dark hair, like mine. 2. She wasn't very happy at the end."

The first line of the book's summary pulled me in. I was prepared for a psychological thriller with deep family issues and twists and turns around every corner. That is not what this is.

I really wanted to like this book, I love the crime fiction genre, but it was too confusing. There are three POVs : the mother (when she was younger in 1986) and the daughter in present day and the
Kate Ellis
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, on-kindle
Thoroughly enjoyed this book written from two character's point of view. It held my attention throughout. Being of a similar age to Debbie in the 1980's it was nice to be reminded of the introduction of the microwave and what people said about it, amongst other things of the era. I will be looking out for more books by Elisabeth Carpenter, and certainly recommending this novel to fellow readers.
#NetGalley #11missedcalls
A Wondrous Bookshelf
Anna was a baby when her mom Debbie disappeared while they were on vacation with a family friend named Monica and her family. 30 years later, Monica is married to Anna's father. One day Monica receives an email allegedly from Debbie setting Anna on a craze to discover what really happened to her mother.
This book was an interesting study of character. It started a little slow for me but it developed well. A roller-coaster ride for most of the story, but with a deflating end that left me
Julie Lacey
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a good read which will make you desparate to know what happened to Debbie from the word go.
It’s a bit frustrating that the story is told through alternating chapters as I just wanted to know what happened, but I appreciate this is the way the story needed to be told when I reached the end.
Anna has never known her mother, Debbie, and there seems to be a mystery around where she’s gone or if she’s dead. Different members of the family believe different things.
It’s heartbreaking to read
I have mixed feelings about this book. I really loved it until I got to the end. I couldn't wait to find out what happened to Debbie. I kept going through the group of people in her life- her husband, her best friend and her best friend's husband. Then it's revealed and I felt so disappointed. I guess I was expecting something different. While reading the book I didn't want to put it down. It was full of twists and turns. I kept blaming Monica and she was such a horrible best friend.

The book
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Party
  • Apple of My Eye
  • One Little Lie
  • Her Name Was Rose
  • Do Not Disturb
  • The Promise (DS Imogen Grey #4)
  • Stalker
  • Don’t You Cry
  • Sleep
  • Truth or Die (D.S. Imogen Grey, #5)
  • Don’t Turn Around
  • I Know You
  • It Was Her (DI Ray Drake #2)
  • I Dare You
  • The Rival
  • Cuckoo
  • The Daughter
  • I Looked Away
Elisabeth (Libby) Carpenter won a Northern Writers New Fiction Award (2016) and was longlisted for Yeovil Literary Prize (2015 & 2016) and MsLexia Women’s Novel award (2015).

Elisabeth lives in Preston, Lancashire with her family. She loves the north of England, setting most of her stories in the area – including the novel she is writing at the moment.

99 Red Balloons was Elisabeth’s debut